MrWickwire

Heavy Tank Question

On the map Fiery Salient. I often want to crawl into a nice comfortable bush in the back of the map when I see anything more than 2 artillery on the opposite team if I am in my Heavy tank. (any heavy tank) Am I alone on this island or is there a good place to go on this map in a heavy tank while being the prime target of artillery fire? Normally I will go to the 6 line and shoot the hill or any targets of opportunity that show up in the middle until its ok to crest the hill and mop up the remaining enemy tanks if we win. But most games when there's some stupid mission that everyone is trying to finish in their favorite artillery its hell to figure out where I should go to be an effective member of the team and not just another pubby contributing to a big fat "DEFEAT". Any suggestions? And please don't say "Don't drive heavy tanks"

First, what type of heavy are you referring to? Maus-like, or E5-like? I can't answer for the slower heavies, since I don't play them, but for heavies similar to the E5, IS-7, WZ-111, I like to play the middle. I find you have enough mobility to get there, and enough armor to successfully hold up any push, while having good shots at people climbing the hill, or a quick change in position to get decent shots at the 1-2 line. Alternatively, you could platoon, and roll a flank, but based on your description, you are asking what to do when solo.

9 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

First, what type of heavy are you referring to? Maus-like, or E5-like? I can't answer for the slower heavies, since I don't play them, but for heavies similar to the E5, IS-7, WZ-111, I like to play the middle. I find you have enough mobility to get there, and enough armor to successfully hold up any push, while having good shots at people climbing the hill, or a quick change in position to get decent shots at the 1-2 line. Alternatively, you could platoon, and roll a flank, but based on your description, you are asking what to do when solo.

Id go a step further and suggest its very hard win without someone playing that spot, and playing it well.

North spawn, lower hill area, snipe middle

south spawn gg no re pls come again. Mid can kinda work if it inst contested and because your green you probably wont have literally all the arty shooting at you 

8 minutes ago, zapyoug said:

North spawn, lower hill area, snipe middle

south spawn gg no re pls come again. Mid can kinda work if it inst contested and because your green you probably wont have literally all the arty shooting at you 

Very good point. Shitters like us can get away with things purples get murdered for.

from south there's no viable spot apart from mid, but

1) you'll get murdered by hill snipers

2) permalit by scouts on E1 bush

3) arty will #instarekt you

camping the 1/2 line is worse than pushing beach in Overlord, especially if there are 2+ LTs

Hill from the south is crap, there's literally no cover whatsoever and you'll get spotted as soon as you crest..

Hill is somewhat playable if you have a tank with good depression (american heavies), you can poke and snap whatever is lit on the hill and there's a little dip on the "climbing" ridge where you can get shots in the middle..

other than that there's no way you can play prok from the south spawn...

1 hour ago, zapyoug said:

because your green you probably wont have literally all the arty shooting at you 

not really, nowadays one handed players focus whoever has more than 300 wn8, so greens are in danger too 

2 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Well I wasn't being specific but now that you mention it maybe I should be. I mainly play T8 and above from the heavy line soooooo IS3, T110E5, Maus, VK4502B, T34 just to name a few. I guess I could try that but it just seems arty (especially when their are 3) will instareck me as soon as im lit from that position. But hey I'll try anything once.

I guess I can see where your coming from the less mobile the tank the more limited the options. I mainly stick with the IS3 and the T110E5 (both mobile tanks) when I am in my heavies. I am currently in the process of fazing out the slow lumbering heavies for either more mobile heavies 110E5 or 215b ... or faster more mobile and high dpm meds like the 62A and Action X. I'm hoping this will help me in the winrate department.

4 hours ago, WhatTheSkara said:

not really, nowadays one handed players focus whoever has more than 300 wn8, so greens are in danger too 

Well the rocks in mid mean you can get atleast some arty cover working so its inconvenient to try and focus someone in mid especially if you can avoid being lit the entire time

So inconvenient can mean they decide to breathe on the people who are trying to play hill instead 

Being inconvenient does not stop arty from trying to splash purples to death who are 100% arty safe behind houses though so I rarely push my luck personally.

@MrWickwire

If I'm in a fast heavy I'll head towards middle and get cover behind the house or rocks. Take shots at hill while staying in cover. Move around often to avoid getting cancered. Usually if you can do enough damage to hill, your side can win that flank. Most of the time GG from there if your team isn't completely shit.

Works best for fast heavies though. E5, IS-7, etc. Not too sure about the slow heavies, don't play them.

I go mid from both north and south. Hill is a deathtrap that gets my heavy artied, sniped from the mid and shot from the front and it can only be pushed if the enemy consists of headless chickens being electrocuted on a wire. It's better to go mid and pray for RNGesus than spend 3 minutes going up the hill, camping for 4 minutes then getting one-hit balanced.

I take my faster heavies to the middle too and just play like a medium and it works great. It's been a while since I've gone up on the hill. And please, please don't become one of those players who sits in the back of the map in a bush and snipes in a heavy tank. Not only is it rage inducing for your teammates, but it is also counter productive to your own development as a player.

There are 3 variables to this question:

1: Small heavy (E5, IS7, etc.) or big heavy (E100, Maus, Type 5)

2: North or south spawn

3: No arty / just 1, or 2+

MCG1O.jpg

- North spawn, small or big heavy, not much arty: go middle, not too close to rails (around E4). You'll be in a better position to avoid arty (if any), have better angles at hill and also at 1 line folks that get spotted. DO NOT CREST unless you know their eyes are dead.

- North spawn, small heavy, lots of arty: if your mediums are not going mid, you have to go mid (same spot as above). If your team is taking care of it, go low hill (E0) and snipe mid. Depending on the circumstances, you can also do quick spots on the enemies on hill, but don't push under any circumstances.

- North spawn, big heavy, lots of arty: low hill. No question.

- South spawn, small heavy, whatever the arty count: mid and hill are both acceptable choices. If you go hill, there is a triple bush in H9, near the edge where you can remain unlit for a very long time, if you are fast enough to get there. If you go mid, basically go opposite the north spot (F5) or near the rock that is close to the rails (F6).

- South spawn, big heavy, not much arty: mid (same as above) is a good spot. Hill is a bad idea. However, there is an area around F8 where you can angle your big badass armor, use terrain and buildings and get spots for your mid snipers on the folks camping low hill. It's very risky, and I would recommend it only if you're confident both your hill support and mid support are competent. You will be basically perma-lit and arty will shoot you, but if executed properly, low hill will get obliterated and the entire east flank will win very fast.

- South spawn, big heavy, lots of arty: you're screwed in most cases, but it's possible to make the F8 thing work sometimes. It all depends on how strong your support is, because basically, as soon as their low hill folks are dead, you will not be lit anymore. Mid is a death trap and will result in your death most of the time. Sniping the 1 line is not completely bad, but if you are spotted you die.

That is what I do anyway, usually with a high success rate. I hope that helps!