RichardNixon

WN9 aesthetics poll

What numerical value should WN9 use for players who currently have ~2500 WN8?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. What numerical value should WN9 use for players who currently have ~2500 WN8?

• Around 400
    • Around 4000
  2. 2. How difficult should it be to get purple account WN9?

• More difficult than purple overall WN8
    • Same difficulty as purple overall WN8
    • Easier than purple overall WN8

Ok, I've got nearly enough material together to launch WN9, but I need to make final decisions on a couple of aesthetic questions. Please read the explanations before answering the poll.

Numerical range

The reason for choosing ~400 for purple (currently 420) is that it's humanly impossible to sustain >3 digits over more than a handful of battles, which makes it easier to arrange a signature for recent or account WN9. 4000 is a similar option for 4 digits, while 2500 is closer to the WN8 scale. However, WN9 is contribution-linear and WN8 isn't, so the scales can only be equal at one point: If 2500 WN9 = 2500 WN8, players above 2500 will have lower WN9.

Other range options are possible, although I recommend avoiding anything that might be confused with a percentile scale.

Color scale matching

WN8 uses the same scale for overall and recent stats, so it's much easier to get a purple recent WN8 than a purple overall WN8. Account WN9 is a replacement for overall stats which uses the best ~60-65% of battles/tanks played, so the distribution is relatively close to recent WN9 and a single scale makes more sense.

To save the usual 50-page argument, the color scale will otherwise be unchanged, although the category boundaries will be a little more evenly spaced. XVM users will probably continue to use their own scales to suit the tiers they play.

I think I'd actually put 900 WN9 at around 900 WN8, because I think 900 WN8 was placed at around 900 WN7.

Then again, if I had designed the scale from the beginning, I would probably have put either the mean or median at either 1000 or 100, to make it easy to see the ratio of contribution between the player in question and an average player.

I think it would be better if the ratings stayed around the same as WN8.

With a 4-digit system, people can actaully see their progress with their ferocious stett pedding to a higher fidelity, instead of feeling like they're stuck in limbo for a week, waiting for their WN9 to go up by one point.

Also it would make things easier for people to not readjust as much to these new metrics.

I prefer the triple digit score just to fuck with people's minds when they see their new rating that they might go out and seek information about how and why things have changed.

Cue Crab to tell me that none of that will matter anyways because people will still continue to ask dumb questions about it, particularly by making new threads.

1 hour ago, Ezz said:

It's a pretty ironic question at this point, given WG have now found it in their wisdom to incentivise platooning, while WN9 attempts to disincentivise it.

There is probably a spy among us.

We will find you WG dev employee :ohnyes:

3 hours ago, 1n_Soviet_Russia said:

Can we make purple really bad and dark red unicum if only for a month? I want to see everyone flip their shit and confuse the XVM sniping arty fuckers.

Watch shitters figure it out and start reverse padding only for everything to go back to normal:serb:

Will you also be adjusting the numeric range for overall WR as well Richard? Because there is a pretty big jump in the WR required to be teal in WN9, 5% from dark green, while up to that point it's between 2-3% for each WN9 rank.

Is there a reason for this, or is simply a scaling factor for the higher WN ranks?

Well, there are arguments for both 3-digit and 4-digit scores. The 3 digit one will probably thriw people off and make them check wtf happened to their stets (which is a good thing, people will learn about it), while the 4 digit one will feel more natural and easier to grasp.

As i understand, the amount of unis and superunis @WN8 is larger than the advertised percentile (0.1% and 0.01%). Try to fit the scale so the percentiles are correct with WN9. I.E: make it harder to be parpl or change the percentiles.

Be cool to have 100 points to span each of the colors.

Silly question.  Are legacy accounts (not active after x amount of time) excluded when evaluating ranges for the scale and for the derivation of the algorithm for it?

Making it triple digits and therefore less comparable to WN8 might also prevent some crying.

Probably won't but whatever.  I like the idea of the new scale being more distinct though. +1

Triple digit would be nice, people should work to increase their stats. Besides that, 4 digits aren't really worth it because it takes a relatively high amount of WN8 in either direction to show whether you've truly improved/turned to shit. In other words, if a single or double digit WN8 change doesn't matter anyway, what's the point of having more digits?

I also think it should be harder to be purple, even though it'll likely punch my own relative stats in the dick, simply because there's so much inflation in that group. You can never stop farmers/abusers but you can at least make it harder to be one.