Sign in to follow this  
MrMoonlight

Communication FTW!

I had a great time platooning with a stranger last night. I ws logging in for the night and there was a fellow hanging out in the BUNEH room all by his lonesome. Aleeshia told me he was waiting for Neverwish to interview him and suggested I drop in and let him know that Neverwish had logged for the night and he was temporarily SOL. I chatted with him for a few and we decided to platoon a little.

Here's where it got interesting. I didn't know him or his style, and neither did he know me. In order to facilitate awesomeness I was more vocal about my intentions than usual. In fact, more vocal than ever. I usually don't talk too much about what I'm doing because I'm unsure of myself and my plays. I got past that mental block and we coordinated all over the place. We won 4 out of 4. 

Then another person joined us. His stats were better than mine or my partner's so I got shy again. Instead of suggesting strats and talking about what I was doing and what was happening I went silent. We lost 2 out of 2.

Then our third got invited to a platoon with some friends so he split (or he bailed because we lost two in a row... not sure, doesn't matter).

We played two more after that, won 1, lost 1.

I really feel like there's something to this. I intend to try to communicate more consistently with platoon mates. I expect it will help a lot. Sure seems like it did last night.

Depending on your skill level, it may be very important to talk a lot, or not very important.

I've had very effective, almost silent platoons on occasion - usually with someone I'm comfortable and familiar with.

And I've platoons where we're all talking about what's going on constantly, working every angle, and being extra focused.  Some games require a lot more focus than others. If my E-100 is facing off with a Tiger 2, I don't really have anything to say, except maybe "guys, I got this, you go do important flexing and I will bully ahead here".  And sometimes, it's a tricky city brawl where angles, turret directions, and awareness whether the big TD is pointing down the 1 line or has moved to intercept the flankers to his east are very important.

But at your or my skill level, being chatty about the situation is generally the best thing to do. I see some openings, but not all of them, and sometimes I fail to help someone that doesn't ask for my help.  And a few times I've pushed up to take a hit for my teammate and ended up getting shot by them. :P

People in.my platoons usually speak, but I just type back. It's not as crippling as you'd think, though excellent 'reading' skills are required.

I generally don't use voice comms, especially at tier 7 and below. I do however share my intended action plan during the 30 second timer (e.g. heading to K5). Also, if I am the first to die I try to captain my platoon mates to help them out if they are lower skill than I.