ieatcookies

The NA YOLO Meta...Why?

So I've been back at Internet Tanks for a month, and one thing that keeps on slapping me in the face are landslide losses that are over in less than 4 minutes. It happened before, but by my personal tracking landslides seem to be a little more common than when I previously played (July 2010-May2 015). I played 23 matches this morning and 10 of them ended with the losing team getting less than 5 kills. Literally just finished a match on Cliff where we were down 6-1 with two minutes into the match and down 10-1 a minute later. Kinda reflecting over the match and how it played out and you see mobs of players on the losing team just get into a damage-swapping match, and just sit in the open instead of ducking for cover. Other times it's a hard camp with no vision and after 1-2 die, the campers dribble out one at a time to the oncoming mob.

So I have a couple of questions:

(1) Has the surviving playerbase devolved to the point where there is now a gap in the players between the good and useless? Just by casual observation of XVM, I'm wondering if in the past year the game had a bleeding out of talent so now there is a gap in skill across the board thanks to the middle class of players leaving to play other games. It seems that the "green" player--the guy competent enough to do something reasonably intelligent 8/10 times and while having no delusions of becoming a unicum, tried to make sure he did part in the match. While admittedly anecdotal, it seems that oranges outnumber greens on the server, which normal distribution says these two player groups should be equal. Skill gaps mean that mistakes get compounded further, and a flicker of genius by a pack of dead average players will overwhelm orange and yellow players, who used to be canceled out by the presence of better players. 

(2) Has powercreep made making mistakes too punishing for proactive gameplay? I'm not talking about 183's or high-tier TD's, but instead at mid-tiers where Japanese derp-a-trons get to sit and HE spam against tanks that don't have the HP pool or alpha to trade shots. These tiers are where players master game mechanics, but the meta demands that you hide and run from the action lest a high alpha tank wipes out most of your HP, or you get 2-shot by some potato who pressed R 3 times and gets to rumble down a corridor unopposed. Making the move to take a shot or try to flank means you'll die horribly because RNG hates you, so people respond in fear. In response, you're stuck with teams terrified of making a move or blob together down a corridor impeding movement. 

(3) What can the individual "talented" player do apart from hide and damage farm? I have terrible Tier 10 medium dpg (But at least it's consistent no matter the platform, I guess :kjugh:) for my WN8/win rate, but in thinking back it comes from doing the 2200 damage in a quick burst then dying too early in the game. My (solo) winrate (57% IIRC) says that it's enough to turn the tide and decide a match more often than not, but I find that hanging back means I spend too much time searching for damage to do, or if I try to conserve HP, it ends up with me getting 3k damage in an STB-1, and we lose 15-2 after being down 12-1 3 minutes into the game. There has to be a middle ground between winning the game at the cost of HP and a quick death and conserving HP for no good, but even in the world of 1v29 that is solopubbing, it seems that middle ground is very tiny, and map/tank dependent.

Or am I completely wrong and just being an idiot?  :oscar:

I've seen it talked about quite a few times here on Wotlabs, the difference in meta (albeit slight) between EU and NA.

General consensus seems to be that EU is more tactical and thoughtful (again, not by much), but to the point where one can take their time and poke here and there. At least that's how I interpreted it. NA is more of just a derpfest of sending more tanks to one side, overrunning it as fast as possible, and then coming back or pushing through. A more mindless meta, it seems. And I kind of agree. I obviously can't say anything for EU since I've never played there, but if you think about it every match really comes down to just winning a flank and then flexing as necessary, it's really not that complicated. And generally you can predict who's gonna win which flank just by tank comp and how many tanks are actually sent to that flank.

Idk, I've been gone a year, and it definitely feels like people play differently than before. It seems easier to farm damage in tanks with good armor, but there's way more one sided games now, too. I've had a fair share of 1v10+ situations, and some of them were like 4k+ dmg Pershing stomp games, so idfk anymore. From what I've seen, people like to go in death balls now.

Also RIP solo pub WR. I have 65% on Pershing and 52% on T-34-3, though I've derped much more on the latter I guess...

37 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

I can't answer your questions, but my take on it is that it's a map issue, not a playerbase or powercreep issue.

To expand on this claim, the nature of sticking everyone into corridors where people must often reveal themselves and risk their health to engage enemies means that small firepower advantages can generate large differences in outcome, and the comeback mechanic of sorts that came in the form of exercising a vision and camo advantage to deal damage without risking health has been weeded out.  It's not so much that everyone has decided to fit into the YOLO meta as it is that it's often the only option available.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with NA in particular though.

Crab already gave a perfect explanation for recent landslide games. That should answer most of your questions, but read through the rest of that thread, as there are few more insightful posts by our wise Crab.

2 hours ago, KurtaMurta said:

Crab already gave a perfect explanation for recent landslide games. That should answer most of your questions, but read through the rest of that thread, as there are few more insightful posts by our wise Crab.

holy shit that explains so much

Also, in the long run, WoT is just an internet tanks game. You realistically can't expect from someone who may be playing just for fun and blowing tanks up alongside their full-time job/kids/studies whatever to invest time in reading up on information and making an effort to get better at something that they view as a purely leisurely activity. The WoTLabs community is the minority, and while it does include a lot of people who got great at the game even though they also had a job/children and other preoccupations, most players simply won't be willing to do that, and, while painful, that's also a legitimate standpoint. In the long run, everyone has their own reasons to play this game, and for many, getting better at it is not one of them.

On 5/28/2016 at 5:08 PM, KurtaMurta said:

That thread is a goldmine, and I've been trying to map out where the blob is going, albeit with only modest success. The issue I'm finding is that I'm getting crossways with how to control the match, e.g. play my IS-6 on Steppes, blob goes trench, and I don't have the speed. They all die and I'm stuck alone. Get Himmelsdorf in a medium, blob goes tank alley, get flanked by a hill rush, etc. I guess the answer is to play a medium, but apart from Tier 10's where my ability to influence a match is reduced by every Blue and his cousin triple platooning, playing a medium is a chancy proposition because of the HP/firepower gaps and I'm a little short on cash, so constant gold spamming to try to shore up a failing flank and give the winning flank a chance to win is bleeding me dry. 

Like I said above, it seems my only success since coming back is to lead a charge with all guns blazing, get my HP pool plus a little bit more in damage, die, but we end up wining the match because I won the flank and the survivors pushed through. Then again, sometimes you go over the top and the potatoes follow until one tank is spotted, and you're stuck in no man's land because they immediately retreat. Lanchester's Laws work immensely with platoons since you can all focus your guns and focus down opponents, but unless you're a true Pub Whisperer, good luck with that on your own, as seen earlier on Arctic Region where we had a 5-3 advantage, and our (Read: the other 4 tanks) failure to focus fire allowed 2 one-shot tanks to survive long enough to gimp our push, and when their reinforcements arrived we were swept away due to a massive hp disadvantage. 15 seconds of killing low HP tanks would have completely turned the match, but when a Blue player decides to continually block your kill shots on a 30-HP IS while he bounced off of the high HP tank, you can't do much. :nmad:

Above all, it doesn't help that I've been essentially solopubbing for a month now, and getting beat to pieces by landslide teams since I apparently can't solo carry unless I'm in my IS-6 shooting nothing but gold and brain-dead charging into the enemy hoping a potato or two will follow me, and after 1300 games in the IS-6 overall I'm getting tired of playing it because it is such a rote experience, and to be perfectly honest, if I'm being forced to play a certain tank in order to have a chance to win, that's not the solution to playing--even if it is successful. The solution I find is get back into a decent clan where I can platoon and have a couple more guns on my side and we can together fight against the Red Hordes. Few times I've platooned with decent players my damage/WN8 and win rate shot up compared to solopubbing--even if I'm in an IS-6 fighting alone. Can't get in a decent clan because my recents are bad*, and for clans that would take me in I'm a level above everyone else in the clan, which means I'd be carrying platoonmates instead of working together--or the same thing as solopubbing essentially.

While the map meta may invite YOLO rushes, the map meta hasn't changed all that much in the year I was out (Apart from a couple of re-works, everything is the same--even the Agent Orange removing all foliage), so I'm trying to figure out how any why it changed to adapt. Players learn and adapt from passive teaching by the game itself--even if they're a 42%er. I long said Wargaming needed to passively teach and reward good play, but they're never going to do it so it's a moot point. Sigh.

*Got a bunch of invites from a "Top 10" clan on the website. Listen to the spam so I drop into to their TS, talk to a recruiter, pub with him and a terrible recruit I remember being in SSGS back in Precambrian times who has miserable overalls because he wasn't that good back then, but a recent 2700 WN8 because after some digging I saw he was spamming his T-54 something fierce. Out-damage the other recruit and the recruiter all 10 matches by a comfortable margin, correct the recruiter's brain dead play several times, correct the terribad recruit a couple of times after he YOLO'ed out and died with 0 damage, get 3 Top Guns, including a 6k damage carry in an FV4005 because the recruiter wanted to play his JPz to show me how to do high damage in a TD :look:, and at the end he told the terribad recruit to come back tomorrow to get tags because he made the grade, but told me "Well, you sure know how to play like someone with a 60% win rate! You'd be a perfect fit for our clan, but unfortunately your recents are bad, so go stat pad or something and we might let you in." :kjugh:

TL;DR: Cookies can't solopub, and needs purples to carry him until he can figure out how to Internet Tanks again.