Sexy_Dave

Tips for smooth (mouse) aiming?

Ok so in my ongoing quest to become marginally competent at this game, I've noticed something.

I suck at aiming. 

I watch replays from amazing/good/ and even terrible players, and everyone seems to spot a tank, target the tank, the tanks moves and they smoothly keep the mouse on it, firing and hitting it. 

Or they see part of a turret sticking out, and they smoothly line up the shot and take it.

Me? I spot the tank, target the tank, it backs up, my reticle jumps all over the place as I try and place it anywhere near the tank, and it takes me forever to line up shots on partially obscured targets, I see half a turret sticking out? I line up to high, then it's too low, then it's off to the right...

I'm not a gamer, no console shooter honed reflexes, (also the reflexes of youth are somewhat in my past) 

Play with about 70-100ms ping, not great, but certainly not horrible,decent optical gaming mouse,  but how do you guys that can shoot do so? Do you use high DPI? low DPI? One of those "game mats" I've seen for mice (I guess the old school mouse pads aren't good enough?)

Not sure if there are any tips (aside from improving my reflexes ) that could help, but figured I'd ask. I'm tired of getting my tiny cupola sniped from some 300Wn8 player while my jerky mouse control has me miss his tank entirely.

Sounds like excessive mouse sensitivity. I've seen it a lot in scrub replays. General process to get good aim:

1. Turn off mouse acceleration.
  2. Sort out friction. Clean mat & mouse base if necessary.
  3. Turn down sensitivity until you can move the pointer one pixel at a time.
  4. Get a bigger mouse mat if you need to.
  5. Practice.

WoT isn't CS though, so you probably just need to get the sensitivity in the right ballpark. I had to clean the mouse mat before each session to keep my aim in CS.

I have a shitty office mouse that has broken apart twice (both times from me throwing it against the table) without a mousemat, so you don't really need any special stuff to aim well.

My aim improved dramatically (even when playing at 10fps on a MacBook :frenchy: ) by drastically turning down the in-game sensitivity: 1/8 of the bar for arcade, 1/9 for sniper mode (approximates) at 900 dpi, default mouse settings (6/11 Windows probably) (who cares about artillery mode (1/3 if you're really wondering)). I found it a lot easier to aim at small weakspots, it's the same for FPS games like CS.

Lower sensitivity will make you more accurate, but you'll be throwing the mouse around a lot though. I run 400 DPI and in BF4 for example I have a 40cm 360 so I have a huge amount of arm movement while playing, but extremely accurate shots. The best method is to experiment, drop the sensitivity down and try it out for a while, if you're still over-aiming, drop it more or raise it a little if you're under aiming.

Edit: Oh and I actually highly recommend a gaming mousepad, one of the big ones that are something like 45cmx50cm. You can grab them for $10-20, they're comfortable and easier on the mouse than a regular tabletop.

Edited by PityFool

Basic hand-eye coordination.

I'm pretty sure there are some games/online tests you can practice with.

As for things like sensitivity, ideally you don't want things too high as there is a greater margin of error.

When you watch replays, things like aiming and zooming are smoothed out. It looks very cool, but it's just the replays afaik.

The other day I found this Mouse Acceleration Fix which cancels out any mouse acceleration introduced by Windows. You might want to give it a try if you have mouse issues.

I set my mouse to the lowest possible DPI value for WoT, and I tend to amp it up a bit for work.

4 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Make sure servder side crosshair is disabled.

Why should you do this? I always thought that it would be useful.

41 minutes ago, My_Little_Pwny said:

Why should you do this? I always thought that it would be useful.

Personally for me it feels like it laggs so hard I can't even aim anymore. I rather lead it by instinct as the server cross makes me miss more than actually hit anything.

This game isn't fast enough pace wise to require a certain mouse sensitivity.  You could literally set it to anything, but it won't matter as your turret still turns at the same rate it always will.

For smaller fns shot placement though, I guess it could matter, just lower it.  Also helps to pre-aim a bit/visualize where the possible weakspot will be when said target pokes

Thanks all!

Totally forgot about the mouse sensitivity options when i reinstalled. Some other good points as well.