Nalok

How is the grind to the FV125b?

So far I'm enjoying the Church I .. sounds like I should skip the Church VII but so far the experience has been good. Sure it doesn't get anywhere fast, but when it gets there its up to the job in general.

Thanks for all the input!

Once you get to the black prince... it's playable. The caern was ok, prolly better now with the new turret. I still play my conq, awesome gun. Armor is tricky, but capable if abused the right way. I actually enjoy conq over the 215b. The 215b has the dpm and gun handling... and it's not THAT big of a difference from the conq.

Just a sh*tters $0.02.

This tank is why its worth the grind , the Conqueror is amazing ( once fully upgraded ) but I hated the Caernarvon ( I played it before they fitted the Action X Turret )

the rest of the tanks from tier 5 were playable , apart from the Black Prince , great armour but an average gun ( relies on DPM )

The worst grind was getting to the Conqueror from the Caernarvon - after researching the modules for the Caernarvon

Tier 5 - poor vehicle due to the mobility, but not unplayable.

Tier 6 - god awful piece of junk with no redeeming qualities. Anyone with half a brain will shoot you in the tracks for track + hull damage regardless of angling.

Tier 7 - workable tank. It's slow, but with very good acceleration and stays at full speed uphill. The track armor hitbox problem is solved, allowing for actually functional armor. It won't come anywhere near as good as a t29 or tiger, but it isn't bad.

Tier 8 - garbage vehicle with a low alpha, low dpm gun. It get pretty sorely outclassed by other t8 heavies.

Tier 9 - very long and painful stock grind, where you are just a caernavon with a little extra hp. The vehicle is amazing when elite, but it will be a very long and painful grind until you get there.

Tier 10 - great vehicle, often underrated by people.

Tier 5 Churchill I - armor works when angled, keep moving back and forth and expect shots to penetrate your turret because lololol Britain never heard of gun mantlets, firepower is low-ish and relies on DPM

Tier 6 Churchill VII - "improved" armor but victim of powercreep, as its armor isn't worth a damn. no major improvement in firepower and lacking mobility, support bigger tanks and avoid wandering alone

Tier 7 Churchill Black Prince - amor is workable, still requires angling, relies on DPM to lay the hurt, moves at a sure and certain speed on various terrain

Tier 8 Caernarvon - forget everything you learned about Churchills so far. plays more like the American heavy tanks, relies on DPM with the 20-pdr, but has good penetration, firepower and gun handling. slow and steady speed. second-line support/sniper heavy tank

Tier 9 Conqueror - the jewel of the line. get through the horrid stock grind and be rewarded with the excellent L1 120mm gun, accurate, good RoF, great penetration, works well hulldown, can fire HESH

Let me just say that I am really interested in the Conq and the 215b.  I LOVE accurate guns.  So I decided to grind this line.  

I was pleasantly surprised with the Church I, particularly since I don't like the Church III.  That better gun makes a lot of difference.  I kind of liked it.  I mean I kind of miss it.  

I didn't mind the Church VII.  I did decently well in it, and it seemed to work okay if you stay within its limits.

So, after delaying for a bit, out of dread, I finally bought the BP.  I've played 13 battles.  Won 3, I think.  Maybe 4.  I've lost the will to live.  

I'm not sure I've played a worse tank.  If I have, I've forgotten it.  Angled well, it will bounce a LOT.  At tank alley on Himmels even against T9, you're largely impenetrable if played well.  I had a 4K bounce game there, and have managed to do about the same on other maps.

But its speed, clumsiness and alpha, at least in my hands, means it's largely useless.  Even as top tier, I've only had one good battle in it (admittedly out of very few battles).  I find it VERY hard to do much damage.  I just can't see myself grinding 200 more battles in this thing.  I'm sure some significant part of my failure in it is my own limitations, but I HATE this tank.  

9 hours ago, Griphos said:

I just can't see myself grinding 200 more battles in this thing.

You do not need 200 battles to unlock any tier 8 tank, not even while playing BP?

Got some personal reserves, right? Doing daily doubles is deceptive. Better just load APCR, buy some prem time, and use all reserves once you get to stay at home with cold.

Okay. I exaggerate. It will take about a hundred battles. But I guarantee it will FEEL like 200 battles. 

The idea of bypassing it is getting more appealing the more I play it. Wait for a XP conversion sale and spend 2500 gold. Seems reasonable. 

I platooned with a buddy in his T29 last night. Shot about the same number of times, got about the same number of pens, got less than half his damage. And I struggled to get in position to take those shots, and to pen them, while he didn't. In other words, I had to work twice as hard to get half the damage.  

Life is short....

7 hours ago, Griphos said:

The idea of bypassing it is getting more appealing the more I play it. Wait for a XP conversion sale and spend 2500 gold. Seems reasonable. 

The wait should be about 13 hours, as NA is doing one this weekend.

7 hours ago, Griphos said:

Okay. I exaggerate. It will take about a hundred battles. But I guarantee it will FEEL like 200 battles. 

I platooned with a buddy in his T29 last night. Shot about the same number of times, got about the same number of pens, got less than half his damage. And I struggled to get in position to take those shots, and to pen them, while he didn't. In other words, I had to work twice as hard to get half the damage.  

Life is short....

To tell you the truth, Caern is even worse in a lot of aspects. I hated Churchills (VII way more than I) and BP with a passion until i had to grind Caern.

Sure, you can actually reach the fight before it is over, and the gun depression suck less (8 vs 10 degrees, but it feels very bad on both, like 4 and 6, not sure why), but you actually have less penetration at your disposal (17 pdr apcr is tied among best in tier, better than German 88 gold, by pen), and you keep the same dpm (and even worse alpha tier for tier) on a waaay softer tank - pew pew on BP actually works.

It feels much less boring to play, sure...but in Caern you feel like a steak in a cage full of hungry dogs, while BP is probably the best armored tier 7 heavy (in a tier where armor still matters, in case you are not an IS-3), in a much more forgivable environment (ppl running with no equip, on stock tanks and bad crews), and your HP pool is huge comparing to tanks you see all the time (tier 6) - Tiger has 50 more, but it has no armor to speak of, and O-Ni armor is much worse, so your hitpoints go a long way in stalling an enemy advance. Bonus is that you can mount Vstab, something only USA tanks can do this early. You can troll Russian 122 all day long as you rip the apart with apcr...and permatrack them even if they have repair kits.

@Hally summed them up nicely. 

If you are eager to finance SerB space program, at least use the free exp to elite Caern all the way, instead of free exping past BP - not just the 1st gun and turret , but also the engines and tracks. B barrel is worth spending some free exp, too. On paper it is just a bit more acc, dpm and aim time, but in reality, it is the difference between successful  snapshots and getting penned while you aim for that bit longer (and retreat slower because of stock tracks and only 2nd engine).

P.S.

Prepare for arty rape with 50 mm thin side armor on next tanks in line. And arty is way more numerous when you get +1. Tier x is very cancerous.

3 hours ago, NotDeadJustPining said:

The wait should be about 13 hours, as NA is doing one this weekend.

Sold!

3 hours ago, Felicius said:

If you are eager to finance SerB space program, at least use the free exp to elite Caern all the way, instead of free exping past BP - not just the 1st gun and turret , but also the engines and tracks. B barrel is worth spending some free exp, too.

P.S.

Prepare for arty rape with 50 mm thin side armor on next tanks in line. And arty is way more numerous when you get +1. Tier x is very cancerous

Most modules on Caernarvon unlocked already because of playing the medium line.  So, a little free xp for the tracks and I should be good to grind the top gun with the first 20 pounder already unlocked.  Spending $12 bucks to bypass a tank I HATE seems quite reasonable to me.  That's nothing.  

This is not my first time around the track.  I'm familiar with T8-10 play and have played a number of tanks without much armor that are arty magnets (hello, FCM 50t, I'm looking at you).  Arty usually shoots at me no matter what tank I'm in.  (Isn't that how all of us feel?)  

I'm not in agreement with your assessment of the merits of the Caern relative to its tier in relation to the BP.  And I'm not sure what you're arguing...that I should keep grinding a tank I REALLY don't like BECAUSE I won't like the tanks after it either? I've played the T8-10 tanks in the line on the CT and they are comfy. I like accurate guns.   And if I don't like them, fine.  It's $12.   

2 hours ago, Griphos said:

And I'm not sure what you're arguing...that I should keep grinding a tank I REALLY don't like BECAUSE I won't like the tanks after it either?

Pretty much this...

With Caern you lose less time, though. It is faster, so you join fight sooner, and when you get one-shot by arty, you can play other tanks....while in BP you have to spend 3 min just to start shooting...Having A barrel (and engines, oh boy) is pretty much a job done.

Conq is worth it all...but a line where first good tank is at tier 9 is a shitty line...not even good for WG profits, because ppl would free exp one tank, but all of them?? 

Skodas had at least the mid-tier T25 as a respite between horribad ones.

On 1/19/2017 at 1:49 AM, Griphos said:

So, after delaying for a bit, out of dread, I finally bought the BP.  I've played 13 battles.  Won 3, I think.  Maybe 4.  I've lost the will to live.  

Can confirm, i played this crap on friends account biggest pos ever. It's maus withou armor or gun. RIP

Bp is crap, but I really love the caravan. Like love it enough to 3 mark it (was my 2nd t8 to be finished), and if I can mark a tank anyone can. I love the gun depression, I love the gun and I love the style of the tank. However, the first 20 pndr is so so so much worse. It shouldn't be such a huge difference but, at least for me it really really was. 

The grinds on British tanks is really shit for almost all of them. Once you've unlocked the conq playing it stock is god awful. I lasted 5 battles before using that precious free xp to get the turret gun and tracks. 

Personally the caravan and the conq are the highlights for me. In fact I recently sold the fv to buy back the conq. I struggled  with the fv, some times it was like god (my only t10 Radley Walters and kolobanovs were in this tank) and other times i just couldn't get the armour to work. The number of pens to that pesky bit on the side..... fuck that 

BP is by far the worst because it regularly face tier 8 with no real improvement over the Churchill VII.

Churchill 1 is okay (for the avg player) to meh (for good players that need to carry the game). CVII - meh to bad respectively - same reason.

Caernarvon - meh to good respectively. Conqueror - good to best in line respectively. FV215b - meh to good respectively. So I'd say the Conqueror is better than the FV215b tier for tier.

I've ground out half of it.  I think that's all I'm going to do.  I've done okayish in it.  It's just largely useless against T8 heavies and above.  

15 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

The biggest problem with the BP is that the T29, Tiger, O-Ni, IS, and IS2 are also tier 7 heavies and they see the BP mainly as food.  

KV-3. 390 Alpha+1400 Hp. Trade until you kill your opponents, roll away with 2/3rds of your health.

O-Ni can derp it once every 20 sec for 250-300 dmg, or bounce the 10 cm if not aimed well (and using gold AP to be sure). BP gold is a low alpha one, but gold pen is 2nd best in tier/class, with OK acc. And it can pew-pew O-Ni twice for every shot received, due to O-Ni is slow to retreat after firing. So you are basically trading dmg evenly.

16 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

The biggest problem with the BP is that the T29, Tiger, O-Ni, IS, and IS2 are also tier 7 heavies and they see the BP mainly as food.  

Biggest problem is no existing speed to work with. It's fuckin dog shit with LT gun. I could work if this ahitbox can cruise 40kmph, it just don't work and it's pain in the ass driving 5 min to action and deal 150 dmg. 

IS, KV3, Tiger, T29 every possible T7 tank is flat out better than this POS.

I'm only at the Church I and already want to quit. Battles are quick enough in higher tiers but at V it's incredibly hard to get any sort of consistent results thanks to shit mobility. Always gonna be a problem with any slow tank but infuriating regardless. Cromwell gun has nice AP and APCR pen but shit handling, so it's hard to actually put the "DPM" to use (still 250 worse DPM than 85mm-armed KV-1... ok then). Side armor so full of holes that sidescraping is dicey at best but mid-mounted paper turret makes it pointless anyway. Chinese-level gun depression is the icing on the cake.

I don't hate the Church III, so I'm tempted to try this with the 57mm just to get some more depression and DPM - but Church III never sees tier VII and the 57mm on the Church I would make its performance in those matches even shittier. The III is faster too.

Any tips from those who have suffered the grind? Also, inb4 "it's a tier V who cares," I have to autistically elite all my tanks which means grinding an extra 50k here for the CGC. Everyone says the Church VII is even worse and I can't fucking wait.

1 hour ago, Antimeridian said:

Only viable gun is Crommie Vickers HV. accuracy of all other guns are horrible.

20 hours ago, Felicius said:

Only viable gun is Crommie Vickers HV. accuracy of all other guns are horrible.

Yeah, with the 6pdr it looks like it becomes a shittier Church III. 

Man, this tank is like they took the VK 30.01 H and made everything about it even worse.

The Churchill I isn't good, but it's playable. Its main advantages are the high pen and accuracy of the gun, so use them. It's outclassed by all other heavies at close range due to its poor mobility, DPM and alpha, so keep to range fights as much as is practical with the combination of gun and view range. I know that sounds retarded for a heavy to want to snipe first, but every other non-sheltered MM heavy outclasses you, and in tier 5 sniping and vision is still a big thing. Angled at range the armor is also more useful as you can't target the turret, and if you can set up a sidescrape at 200m+ where their heavies are going to advance you can even the odds by minimizing your weak spots and exploiting your superior accuracy in a fight that doesn't favor derpy heavy guns snap shotting. It's always a gamble when you try to play the close range heavy role in this thing right now, because OP trash like the OI or all these retards running around spamming HEAT in KV models will just wreck your shit by out trading AND out DPMing you. If you are going to front line you need real support since it has no tools to beat the OP shit clogging up the tier in a typical heavy tank engagement.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:00 PM, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I've been trying more to keep things at mid-long range now and it's more tolerable. The Cromwell gun is pretty nice here at tier V - when I can actually keep it in action. I'm sure the Church VII will be more rage-inducing than this but time will tell.

EDIT: Even Her Majesty's Royal Shitbox has its moments occasionally:

shot_001.jpg