_Assad

AMD 2016 -Potato PCs can be VR Ready for >$500?

7 minutes ago, KingYoshiLuca said:

If you live in 1st world country prices are okay :dealdog::QBFlip:

Feels22VATplusOtherShitMan

6 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Or you could just be financial intelligent and save for a few months/years/decades/centuries ;-)

If I'd do that then I wouldn't even go with a 1080 in the first place. I'm sure that the Vega HBM2.0 cards will be fucking beasts. If they're 8GB HBM 2.0, F Nvidia.

I gotta say though, that presentation was fucking cringey.

4 minutes ago, Siimcy said:

Feels22VATplusOtherShitMan

If I'd do that then I wouldn't even go with a 1080 in the first place. I'm sure that the Vega HBM2.0 cards will be fucking beasts. If they're 8GB HBM 2.0, F Nvidia.

How do you think Canadians feel? We live right next to these fuckers and we still get charged like they're shipping to boulders to Hawaii. Hell, AMD is fucking Canadian and we'll feel the price difference. Well, ATi was Canadian.

7 minutes ago, KenadianCSJ said:

I gotta say though, that presentation was fucking cringey.

How do you think Canadians feel? We live right next to these fuckers and we still get charged like they're shipping to boulders to Hawaii. Hell, AMD is fucking Canadian and we'll feel the price difference.

Lol.

Then again as people said this card is NOT the Pascal killer. You can't compare a $200(or like $249 for 8gb?) to a card which costs $599, while in reality it costs more than a complete new PC build here, but let us put that aside. If we're talking price points this shouldn't even compare with a 970.

17 minutes ago, Siimcy said:

Lol.

Then again as people said this card is NOT the Pascal killer. You can't compare a $200(or like $249 for 8gb?) to a card which costs $599, while in reality it costs more than a complete new PC build here, but let us put that aside. If we're talking price points this shouldn't even compare with a 970.

The pricepoint, atleast in USD is amazing. 4gb version will probably be the 199 card, but even 4gb is plenty unless you plan to go above 1080 or 1440p. Watch the 199 card be 350+ in Canada. Cause reasons. :serb:

9 minutes ago, KenadianCSJ said:

The pricepoint, atleast in USD is amazing. 4gb version will probably be the 199 card, but even 4gb is plenty unless you plan to go above 1080 or 1440p. Watch the 199 card be 350+ in Canada. Cause reasons. :serb:

and 500€ in yurop :serb:

I'm buying the 8GB one. :hb: 

4 minutes ago, Siimcy said:

Should be awesome for 1080p gaming. :hb: 

In my case 1440p, which it can feed just fine. And the price is just stupid low for that performance.

(also less then 10.5"..)

1 hour ago, Siimcy said:

I'm sure that the Vega HBM2.0 cards will be fucking beasts. If they're 8GB HBM 2.0, F Nvidia.

1. Nvidia will also be release mainstream HBM cards at some point...
  2. ...but HBM cards will probably remain crazy expensive for a long, long, long time so F AMD and Nvidia...

You guys are also missing the point of what amd was trying to prove. By showing 2 480s supposedly as powerful as a 1080; in ashes they were showing off DX12 native multi gpu crossfire. Im willing to bet VR will push GPUs to their limits on DX12 so why wouldnt a dev allow Xfire? It makes sense what they were trying to achieve, but why they didnt show benchmarks is beyond me. Maybe they're just that confident. Idk.

Im probably going to pick one of these up for a friend, but in the mean time ill be saving up for that BF1 + RX 490/FURY package.

3 hours ago, _Assad said:
  • 2 of those cards is 300 watts compared to 180 watts for the GTX 1080.
  • Will the extra wattage require power supply upgrades reducing the cost difference?
  • Will the extra wattage increase the electricity bill enough to make the cost difference negligible over the long run?  I haven't see anyone do the match on this when comparing component

Im going to stop you there because i honest to god think the electric bill stuff is total bullshit. And a 750 or 850w gold psu should be a standard if you're willing to throw down $400 for any piece of pc hardware. I live in a fucking desert and 70% of my bill alone comes from A/C. 15% utilities. And the rest being misc aka computers Tvs w/e. Extra wattage is more or less an investment in the future and usually for barely $20-$50 more. Because you can grab a high end psu if you want to upgrade way down the line or if you want a good psu gold standard rather than a ticking time bomb.

I never did the math on the electric bill calculations.  However, it looks like if you game a few hours a week and use two GPUs that use 120 watts more than a single GPU you are talking about under a dollar a week difference based on one web site I found and average US electricity costs per kwh.  So the difference is under $50/year unless you spend a lot of time gaming.

Most people don't spend the money for a 750+ watt silver/gold/platinum power supply.  Look at how many people either buy prebuilt computers or build their PCs on a budget and cut corners.  Look at the best selling power supplies on many hardware retailer web sites.  Half of them aren't even 80 plus bronze rated and half of them are below 600 watts.  I ran my current computer setup through several online power supply wattage estimators all they all said I need under 500 watts.  If my PC needs under 500 watts do you think all the people building budget systems are going to spring for a 750+ watt gold/platinum rated power supply?  Most of the people are shopping for sub $200 video cards are the same people who cut corners during a PC build or bought a cheaper PC with a lower wattage power supply.

3 hours ago, reking_havoc said:

The point of this product is the 200 dollar price point. Its not supposed to be the fastest card. Its supposed to be the most popular card when it comes to sales. Nvidia is probably shitting themselves right now. All the money is made on the "mainstream" card. NOT on 1080s and Titans.

Nvidia probably doesn't have a lot to worry about.  If they make the GTX 1060 have slightly better performance than a GTX 980 and equip it with 4 or 8 GB of RAM(similar to the option of 2GB or 4 GB on the current GTX 960) it will probably be a great performer at the $200-$250 price point.  It looks like there is room in the lineup to do that considering the GTX 1070 performs better than the GTX 980 ti in most games.

Considering the RX 480 is similar to the R9 390 giving the GTX 1060 the equivalent of GTX 980 performance(with more memory) would be good competition.

Having multiple memory options on the GTX 1060 allows Nvidia to introduce both a GTX 1060 and a GTX 1060 ti at the $200-$250 price range.  That also leaves room for a GTX 970 performance equivalent called the GTX 1050.

20 minutes ago, Bavor said:

I never did the math on the electric bill calculations.  However, it looks like if you game a few hours a week and use two GPUs that use 120 watts more than a single GPU you are talking about under a dollar a week difference based on one web site I found and average US electricity costs per kwh.  So the difference is under $50/year unless you spend a lot of time gaming.

Most people don't spend the money for a 750+ watt silver/gold/platinum power supply.  Look at how many people either buy prebuilt computers or build their PCs on a budget and cut corners.  Look at the best selling power supplies on many hardware retailer web sites.  Half of them aren't even 80 plus bronze rated and half of them are below 600 watts.  I ran my current computer setup through several online power supply wattage estimators all they all said I need under 500 watts.  If my PC needs under 500 watts do you think all the people building budget systems are going to spring for a 750+ watt gold/platinum rated power supply?  Most of the people are shopping for sub $200 video cards are the same people who cut corners during a PC build or bought a cheaper PC with a lower wattage power supply.

Depends on where you buy them. My PC is currently "under powered" Im running an i5 6600k and an R9 390X on a 650W which tops out at 574W under extreme load. just for the 2 alone. I bought a 520w and 650w gold with a bit of research as would anyone else under a small budget. I got the 520w gold Antec normally $90 for $45. Same applies to the 650w i bought them both for little under half due to store sales as im sure people doing any research would, not just people under a small budget, but people who are enthusiasts too. As for the electric bill again; you can run any math you want, but if people are going to get a budget PC they're going to game on it so why they'd buy one without gaming is stupid. On top of that the power draw would probably cost as much if not less than console. So again this argument over PSU and Electric bill is incredibly moot. The main point why normal people argue about power is TDP. Less power draw = less heat. And Crossfired multi GPU 480s I guarantee still pull less power under load than my 390X at OC. You can keep on about this electrical bill stuff, but you missed the point where I said throw down $400 for any SINGLE hardware component you should buy a 750 or 850W PSU because chances are they'll draw alot of power. However a $200 card with 150w TDP can run just fine on a 520w system. 

6 minutes ago, Kazzerigian said:

The new tech and chips are why Sony and Microsoft are putting out revised versions of their consoles, I bet!

They're getting updated APUs, and the new Zen/Polaris APUs aren't coming until next year from what I've read. They're not gonna be getting the new tech like this, atleast not on the CPU side. Dunno if the console APUs will have Polaris chips in them though.

1 hour ago, Kazzerigian said:

The new tech and chips are why Sony and Microsoft are putting out revised versions of their consoles, I bet!

Ding ding we have a winner! 

2 hours ago, KenadianCSJ said:

They're getting updated APUs, and the new Zen/Polaris APUs aren't coming until next year from what I've read. They're not gonna be getting the new tech like this, atleast not on the CPU side. Dunno if the console APUs will have Polaris chips in them though.

Latest rumors I read was that the updated PlayStation was gonna get a Zen CPU in the APU.

Try living in the most expensive country the world. GTX 1080 FE is 1199 AUD. A cheap AMD card that delivers a good performance to cost ratio for non US residents I think will sell extremely well, this is a smart move from AMD. Even me making ~$100K a year, buying a $1200 graphics card is a big purchase, like do I really need the extra 20FPS over my 980 in Doom at 1440P when my 980 plays it above 60FPS right now.

First world problems

41 minutes ago, bolagnaise said:

Try living in the most expensive country the world. GTX 1080 FE is 1199 AUD. A cheap AMD card that delivers a good performance to cost ratio for non US residents I think will sell extremely well, this is a smart move from AMD. Even me making ~$100K a year, buying a $1200 graphics card is a big purchase, like do I really need the extra 20FPS over my 980 in Doom at 1440P when my 980 plays it above 60FPS right now.

First world problems

At the beginning of 2015 with my aging 660 ti this was more than 1/2 of my experience until november :serb:

4B5ohHO.png

10/10 would crash again

1 hour ago, canadiantrex said:

Latest rumors I read was that the updated PlayStation was gonna get a Zen CPU in the APU.

Unless it's releasing next year, I doubt that. As far as I know the only Zen CPUs we're getting this year are the desktop "performance" SKUs. If the presentation was anything to go by, the APUs won't be coming until after the server CPUs, which are after the desktop ones.