BiggieD61

Go-to ships for ranked battles: Season 4

Since we are just starting season 4 of ranked battles, it seemed like a good idea for players to have a thread for posting what ships they are using in ranked battles, and how they see the meta.

I just started at Rank 18, and have used the Gremaschy so far to good success.  It's not that I am particularly deadly in it, but because it is a very strong tier 5 DD, it allows MM to upscale a cruiser or BB above me.  In addition, the rule change this year is VERY favorable to bottom tier DD's that can cap.  If you are top XP, you do not lose a star, and if you solo cap one and assist in another, doing average damage in your DD will put you on top of your team - win or lose.  More than once I have seen my team disintegrate early, but allowing me to live long enough to do my damage, kill a CV and get some cap points.  MM is chock full of BB's waiting in tier, so I pretty much auto start when I click battle - I saw one MM que where there were 2 CV's, 65 BB's 7 CA"s and 4 DD's. 

I am not sure what I am going to do when it moves up to tier 6/7 - I don't feel comfortable in my Farragut ( close to the Mahan though ) and I feel the Colorado is really too slow - maybe the Nagato or Myoko?

mine so far

5-6

tried Gnevny... not so much, good in pubs not in this. Molotov was quite deadly, Buddy seemed like a good choice. As for BB's, played a few in the warspite with mixed results, but the best by far was the Fuso. Being always top tier nails home the fact that its stupidly OP at its tier, played 5 games in her, won 5 in a row, easy mode confirmed.

6-7

Blyska, Mahan and Sims, Blyska being my preferred choice. As for cruisers, tried the Indie, way to soft to HE spam (took 29 hits from Myoko to die, 5 fires RIP). Schors is actually pretty good, very effective counter to DD's. Lets not forget my personal favorite, the king of tier 7 cruisers, the Myoko. By far the best, with great HE, good AP and decent AA. Has the most HP, workable armor (very good vs 6 inch AP spam), torps and with a 15 point captain an 11.2km concealment range. Not a big fan of BB's, but i do have the Naga. 

So far

Rank 18-16 (Tier V-VI)

Alternating between Cleveland and the Nurnburg. BBs are my bread and butter but the queue for them is a bit ridiculous to me, and I'm not comfortable enough in a DD to tilt games in my team's favor. So far the Cleveland/Nurnberg duo seems to work out fairly well for me, concentrating on helping DDs win cap or cut off sneaky DDs from flanks in early game; nuking CAs mid-game, and fire support/cap end game. I'd like to see what other thinks of the Molotov in rank. I had 1 mediocre game in it so I decide to switch back to Cleveland and the Nurnburg. 

Rank 15-1 (Tier VI-VII)

I've only gotten to Rank 16 thus far, but Myoko will probably be my bread and butter in these ranks. IMO it's just hands down the best CA at tier 7. I <3 the Nagato as well, but unless the queue for BBs are shorter at these ranks I'll probably be sticking with the Myoko. Either that or I just bite the bullet and get gud at DDs and drive the Blyskawica or Sims. 

5 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

I am not sure what I am going to do when it moves up to tier 6/7 - I don't feel comfortable in my Farragut ( close to the Mahan though ) and I feel the Colorado is really too slow - maybe the Nagato or Myoko?

Have not tried the Nagato in ranked but in random I've always preferred the Nagato over the Colorado. To me it's just a more well rounded ship than the CO. The only thing that the CO is sigificantly better than the Nagato is the AA. Otherwise the Nagato is better or at least on par against the CO.

Tier 5-6

Nicholas, Farragut, Nurnberg, Cleveland, Fuso, Independence

Aoba and New Mexico have potential but Aoba's low ROF compared to Nurn and Cleve, and NM's compared to Fuso, hurt them a bit

I feel an AS Indy is the best choice for CV over the other three CVs

Haven't gotten high enough in Ranked for tier 7s.

T6 probably Gremy, Anshan, Budyonny Warspite or Fuso. Cleveland is probably solid too. 

T7 it's all about the Blyska, Myoko and Indy (Radar and AA makes for a disgustingly good fleet support). The Nagato is always a solid contender too. I think the Schors will suffer from the low target count.

Sims or Blys are top choice if you're any good with destroyers.  If you don't own either, Mahan with a good commander should be fine.

So far my results are:

• Gremy (4 of 4 wins)
  • Nagato (1 of 1 wins)
  • Sims (11 of 18 wins)

The reason I've stuck with the Sims instead of mixing in my Nagato more often is because of a reason you mentioned in your OP.  I've lost 7 games in the Sims, but have only lost one star.  It's easier to get top XP on a losing team in a destroyer than in any other ship.

12 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

The sims is an interesting thought. I forgot it existed but it should be very good in the current ranked meta. Do you set it up with short or long range torps?

Long, but I'm using my Gearing captain with Torp Accel, so it's like a 7.3km range and 54 knot speed.  They're still not great, but they load in about a minute and are usable.  I feel like I'm hitting 1-3 torps per game and doing alright.

I've been doing well with my Kiev. It can outrun anything, and has great guns. The torps are the downside, but they have a nice spread for ambushes and knife fights. I primarily try and get in and contest caps early and kill a DD or two. The second half of the match I try and get into position to get broadside shots on cruisers and battleships. With AP I can take 2000 HP off a BB every four seconds. That adds up when they are distracted and not paying attention to you.  

4 hours ago, How_Terrible said:

I retrained my Roon captain for the Nurnberg after deciding that the Aoba just wasn't going to cut it. In pubs the Nurnberg is pretty good, but when it gets to be top tier in every battle in ranked it is absolutely ridiculous.

I did the same. Its Arc and ability to shoot while running at huge ranges is massive. Also its huge rof vs dd`s is huge.

The other better version of the Cleveland IMO is the Bud`s. It has same amazing guns except with laser accuracy and the extra 2km you really need to kite. So with its lasers i kill DD and long range I can plant fires on BB`s and cit cruisers.

Along the same lines Warspite is by far the best T6 BB as it Overmatchs bow armor on US BB`s and can pen them from the front. It also has lasers and a big range of 17ish km. And it almost never misses.

Basically all these ships were "Balanced" by the fact that they were OP vs t6 or below but got beat hard by T8`s. So since its capped, these are the go to ships IMO. 

I learned fast range and shoot and scoot is all due to the fact I cant rely at all on teamates and if Im going to lose I need to turn scumbag at end and kill 1-2 more guys as they chase me to not lose stars :)

Farr seems to be best T6 dessy and I dont have a concealment captain because im a newb.

Anyways since I have done this system I have gone 10/16 and lost 1 star only.

IDK why all the newbs bring New Mexico`s...US BB are garbage. SLow, fat, inaccurate with low range and have huge super structure for guys to light on fire.

I rather have a Kongo than a NM and a Fuso or Warspite isnt even fair.

17 hours ago, SFC_Storm said:

IDK why all the newbs bring New Mexico`s...US BB are garbage. SLow, fat, inaccurate with low range and have huge super structure for guys to light on fire.

I rather have a Kongo than a NM and a Fuso or Warspite isnt even fair.

The small maps for Rank 20-15 mitigate the speed and range problems of the NM. It can park itself strategically bow on and still keep 50% of its firepower; add in a bit of a wiggle and it can keep 100% of its firepower while keeping it a tough nut to crack. This admittedly caused quite a bit of headache for one of my Nurnberg game on fault line map last night. Overall the Fuso and Warspite are still superior ships, but the small size of the map and being guaranteed top tier (ranks 20-15) makes NM a ship to be respected; especially with a skilled captain behind it. I wouldn't recommend bringing her for higher ranks though. 

The other great thing about the NM is it has a great shell trajectory, speed, and spread. These all combine to make it a great cruise killer, especially when it's within 10km. I started this season at rank 15 so I haven't played the tier six ships, but in team battles I did much better in the NM than I did in my Fuso and I never had problems against the Warspite.

Why is Sims suddenly soo hot, has it been buffed? Earlier it was seen as underpowered.

Anyone knows how experience is calculated, is using DD only way to be competitive?  How much for example single cap gives?

Lost 3 matches in a row, but didn't lose a star because of top xp, but I am about to strangle some of these terribad jap BB drivers.  They are playing them like it's a regular pub match - Chai sniping from a border and saving their health - meanwhile everyone else is overwhelmed and mixing it up under strength against the other team.  The third match It was down to me in a 2k hp Gremy and a full health Fuso versus a Kongo, Farragut and Cleveland.  I had gotten the first cap, and was finally capping the other when the Farragut pushed in on me, I gun killed him , and it was 2 v 2 with us holding both caps.  We are basically 850 versus 900 and can win by capping as long as we don't let them control a cap.  Their almost dead Cleveland starts capping the first cap zone, and I light him for the Fuso - but he missed every shot, TWICE.  I can't fire because I am out of smoke, and 4-5 k within gun detection range with no cover.  I was so pissed - he just had to hit him him ONCE  .. AAAARGH. I am getting kills/caps/damage - but no wins.  I'll try again tomorrow I guess.

5 hours ago, sahtila said:

Why is Sims suddenly soo hot, has it been buffed? Earlier it was seen as underpowered.

Anyone knows how experience is calculated, is using DD only way to be competitive?  How much for example single cap gives?

It has good speed, maneuverability, concealment, and is deadly in close-range battles.  It didn't get "usable" torpedoes like most other US destroyers when they were buffed, so it's still not very good at random battles IMO.  However, when you know you're going to be contesting caps and not chasing fleeing enemies all game, it's actually pretty good.  I can out-spot and almost always out-duel other destroyers in Ranked with my Sims.  The torpedoes are worst in tier, but the fast reload means that I get at least something out of them most games.  They still suffice to add some damage to bigger ships and possibly get some flooding, and are still enough to kill or cripple a destroyer that sits broadside in smoke.

XP for capping is pretty big, but the way damage XP functions also helps.  You're not rewarded for dealing "50k damage" or whatever; you're rewarded for dealing "85% of this ship, 40% of another, 14% of a third".  Dealing high percentage damage is good XP, and since I'm usually dealing a lot of damage against other destroyers, I'll score higher XP than a battleship that might deal a lot more raw damage but a lower percentage of health.

For the tier 6 ranks, Molotov. All day every day. Had some fun games in the Warspite and even the Aoba, but nothing compares to the versatility and nastiness of an AP spam Molotov. You can reliably citadel Fuso's. Also, it's just as fast as the tier 6 DD's. Because reasons. 

At tier 6 I was using the Fuso as I find it better than the NM in terms of speed/firepower. NM has better armor, but it's generally speed and ability to flex in my opinion that wins matches.

Tier 7 I'm having good results in my Nagato. The Colorado is a good BB, but again it's too slow to really influence matches. You need to be able to keep up with DD/CAs especially when you spawn furthest from where the team wants to go initially cap.

The only issue with playing BBs so far (I'm rank 13) is that it's difficult to get top XP on the losing side. I've gotten multiple high caliber medals on the losing team only to end up 2nd or 3rd overall in XP.

30 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

I think it's interesting how the meta has changed since the first season. Back then I remember that the Fuso/NM and Cleveland were all people wanted to bring.

It hasn't changed, not really. It's still just spam the best BB or CA in tier 6 (Fuso and Molotov, currently, Fuso and Cleveland back then) and you'll win far more than playing DD's or CV's, or out of favor ships. Arguably, the only real meta change in tier 6 ranked is that DD's aren't quite as insta-fucked now since the Molotov is not as good at burning them down immediately as the Cleveland was. That's been my experience, anyway. Whichever team has a better Fuso player is likely to win, and if they have a good Moltov player as well, RIP in pepperonis.

Edit: also, DD's are apparently quite good because you can still advance on the losing team quite easily. I hadn't bothered to read any of the changes before I blasted my way through tier 6 ranked with the Balancetov anyway. I'll probably start spamming my Blys in tier 7, since nothing in that tier is as blatantly OP as in tier 6.

TBH not sure Warspite is that good for this mode, I like it but it has some weaknesses: horribad slow turret traverse, possible frontal bugged citadel weakspot (citadel area continues ahead of armor box) and also feels that it lights up really easily, is that even possible by game mechanisms that some ship is easier to light up?