Sign in to follow this  
93anthracite

Which Prem US medium is gud tenk?

1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

I thought is-3a was best since it's so close to the very balanced is3

SP eats IS-3A for lunch.  Matter of fact, SP eats IS-3 for lunch.

24 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

SP eats IS-3A for lunch.  Matter of fact, SP eats IS-3 for lunch.

1vs1 performance alone doesn't indicate if a tank is good. A tank also has to be good at influencing game results. 

Also is3 prem goes through SP hull 70% of the time if not more. 

13 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

1vs1 performance alone doesn't indicate if a tank is good. A tank also has to be good at influencing game results. 

Also is3 prem goes through SP hull 70% of the time if not more. 

Being able to solo tanks a tier higher enables an SP to influence the game results for sure.

1 hour ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Being able to solo tanks a tier higher enables an SP to influence the game results for sure.

The IS3 can do that too while also being able to flex and trade.

11 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

The IS3 can do that too while also being able to flex and trade.

A higher tier tank is gonna pen the IS-3 constantly unless it happens to be hull-down and facing them.

The IS-3 is good, don't get me wrong, but a lot of tanks have a serious problem facing the SP.  In tier the IS-6 is simply owned by an SP.. I've soloed a unicum before simply because the tank's strengths fit so neatly against the IS-6's weaknesses.  Against higher tier tanks it has a solid chance even against tanks like an E 75.

Find enemy heavies, front toward enemy, hit 22 and wiggle wiggle wiggle.  Watch out for Tier 7/8 lights that can circle you, and you're golden.

20 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

A higher tier tank is gonna pen the IS-3 constantly unless it happens to be hull-down and facing them.

The IS-3 is good, don't get me wrong, but a lot of tanks have a serious problem facing the SP.  In tier the IS-6 is simply owned by an SP.. I've soloed a unicum before simply because the tank's strengths fit so neatly against the IS-6's weaknesses.  Against higher tier tanks it has a solid chance even against tanks like an E 75.

Find enemy heavies, front toward enemy, hit 22 and wiggle wiggle wiggle.  Watch out for Tier 7/8 lights that can circle you, and you're golden.

A higher trier tank will pen a super pershing unless it is hull down and facing them. It's the same problem. 

Also please remember a tanks strength it's not only it's ability to deal with other tank. It's also it's ability to influence maps. That is why super slow tanks are never top of the list for most players on wotlabs. You will block your flank but the other will fall and you will be too slow to defend so you end up with 10:14 and you are dead. 

Don't get me wrong. The Spersh is a nice tank but the speed is a problem. Side armor also. The 390 alpha on the is3 also helps when fighting vs higher triers.

51 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

A higher trier tank will pen a super pershing unless it is hull down and facing them. It's the same problem. 

Also please remember a tanks strength it's not only it's ability to deal with other tank. It's also it's ability to influence maps. That is why super slow tanks are never top of the list for most players on wotlabs. You will block your flank but the other will fall and you will be too slow to defend so you end up with 10:14 and you are dead. 

Don't get me wrong. The Spersh is a nice tank but the speed is a problem. Side armor also. The 390 alpha on the is3 also helps when fighting vs higher triers.

Sure, the IS-3 has good alpha and decent mobility against higher tier tanks...but the armor doesn't hold up, and while the mobility is good, it isn't medium-fast.  So you're basically in a quick heavy that's still slower than mediums, so while you can flex, kiting a higher tier tank the way a medium could isn't gonna work.

The SP is fairly slow but can still flex on all but the biggest maps.  Steppes will be a problem; Ensk or Himmels or Siegfried not so much.  Also, despite being slow as shit uphill, it still turns quite well and does very well downhill.

As for being penned, I regularly bounce shit from Tier 9 heavies and TDs.  I'm quite aware of the weak spots, and can minimize the risk they pose.  That's harder to do with an IS-3 except to be hull-down...which is finicky due to awful gun depression.

IS-3 works fine as a support tank against higher tiers; good alpha, sufficient pen, sufficient mobility.  The SP is able to solo higher tiers more easily though - or at least I find it easier to solo higher tiers in an SP than in an IS-3.

IS-3A is no IS-3. Lack of loader mess up your crew skill distributions. The gun is far worse... 270 HEAT is not even remotely as good as 265 APCR when facing tier 10s. It also comes with much worse bloom, severely reducing those magical IS-3 snapshots from happening. IS-3A also get reduced acceleration and greatly reduced traverse speed as a bonus. Slightly improved RoF doesn't come close to making up for those problems.

I'd definitely pick SP over IS-3A any day. Pref mm for SP is a bonus.

4 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Sure, the IS-3 has good alpha and decent mobility against higher tier tanks...but the armor doesn't hold up, and while the mobility is good, it isn't medium-fast.  So you're basically in a quick heavy that's still slower than mediums, so while you can flex, kiting a higher tier tank the way a medium could isn't gonna work.

The SP is fairly slow but can still flex on all but the biggest maps.  Steppes will be a problem; Ensk or Himmels or Siegfried not so much.  Also, despite being slow as shit uphill, it still turns quite well and does very well downhill.

As for being penned, I regularly bounce shit from Tier 9 heavies and TDs.  I'm quite aware of the weak spots, and can minimize the risk they pose.  That's harder to do with an IS-3 except to be hull-down...which is finicky due to awful gun depression.

IS-3 works fine as a support tank against higher tiers; good alpha, sufficient pen, sufficient mobility.  The SP is able to solo higher tiers more easily though - or at least I find it easier to solo higher tiers in an SP than in an IS-3.

I don't think you read my post carefully. The mobility in the is3 case isn't to use for killing opponents. It's for flexing. If you choose the wrong flank you can shift easy, in the SP you are fucked. 

As for Your anecdotal experience go to tanks gg. Frontal hull in Spersh is weak vs high trier rounds. Also is3 turret is stronger because of smaller weakspots. Not to mention is3 has magic side armor. t26e4 has no side armor. 

Also soloing a higher trier tank with <300 alpha? It's a big problem in the current meta. Especially in a tank with trollish but pennable turret. 

1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

I don't think you read my post carefully. The mobility in the is3 case isn't to use for killing opponents. It's for flexing. If you choose the wrong flank you can shift easy, in the SP you are fucked. 

As for Your anecdotal experience go to tanks gg. Frontal hull in Spersh is weak vs high trier rounds. Also is3 turret is stronger because of smaller weakspots. Not to mention is3 has magic side armor. t26e4 has no side armor. 

Also soloing a higher trier tank with <300 alpha? It's a big problem in the current meta. Especially in a tank with trollish but pennable turret. 

IMO it's a question of preserving HP, and the skill of your opponent.  A good player in a higher tier tank will likely beat you in a lower tier tank anyway, but the difference comes when facing weaker players.  If a baddie in an E75 comes at you in your IS-3, if you beat him he's still gonna take a chunk out of your ass; you might get one lucky bounce off the front of your turret because he's a baddie that doesn't know any better, but otherwise he's gonna maul you even if you win.  This will be the case in any situation except maybe if you're hull-down in a spot he can't rush.

But an SP, properly driven, can beat that baddie while sacrificing much less HP.  An E75 driven by a bad player might only pen once before he dies - maybe not any if he's truly a terribad.  Meanwhile, the IS-3 driven by a better player might sell beat him, but will sacrifice a lot of HP to do so.

It's just so easy to minimize the SP's weaknesses when facing bad players.  It truly is natural selection on tracks.

The natural rebuttal would be "yeah, but that only works against baddies", but - who makes up the majority of players?

7 hours ago, hazzgar said:

As for Your anecdotal experience go to tanks gg. Frontal hull in Spersh is weak vs high trier rounds. 

It isn't, tanks.gg doesn't accurately reflect the Super Pershing's actual armor. Upper glacis is about 270mm vs AP and lower is about 230mm or so. The corners of the LFP are 200-220mm but they're difficult to actually hit consistently.

SP still works against decent players because they have to actually aim, and there's always RNG to account for (it's not like the weakspots are terribly huge), whereas you can right click them. 

7 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Note how I specifically mention IS-3A and not IS-3. IS-3 is better than a SP. IS-3A is significantly worse than the IS-3, and is not as good as the SP. The SP is an excellent premium tank for winning battles, with pref mm as a big bonus.

I've had a good bit of success using the T26E4 in team battles and strongholds. It's particularly fun to see people charge over a ridge and shoot you in the UFP, then start backing up slowly when they realize that doesn't work.

17 hours ago, Hally said:

Note how I specifically mention IS-3A and not IS-3. IS-3 is better than a SP. IS-3A is significantly worse than the IS-3, and is not as good as the SP. The SP is an excellent premium tank for winning battles, with pref mm as a big bonus.

Yea, the SP may fail at certain things, but as far as influencing battles, it's the superior tank to the IS-3A, regardless of the fact that the IS-3A may have more mobility.  And that's doubly true when you add in decent players who know how to read the battlefield and play accordingly, where the IS-3A is a bit more binary in its decision tree. 

I think the SuperP gives the best bang for the buck, but the RAMII is wonderfully cheap.

Moron's guide to driving the SuperP:  1. Head to the brawling spot on the map IMMEDIATELY.  2. Only let them see the front of your tank, and not for long.   3. Sling a lot of prem (you will still make credits, just not a huge amount).

Edited by Prosqtor
typo

Really like the Ram II but is only Tier 5 so not the greatest crew trainer or money maker.  KR Patton is my favorite but only rented it when it was available, kind of cheap as I already have the SP did not want to fork out more money for a tier 8 American Premium tank.  If you are only going to get one go for the KR Patton.

Regards, 

On 6/8/2016 at 0:20 PM, lt_lolcat said:

I won the M4 Improved in a tournament and the only reason I haven't sold it is the faint hope that maybe one day it will get buffed. 

I think I won mine in the same tournament.  I haven't even played it once.  But I hang on to it for now like you--in case it gets buffed.

I don't own any USA Medium Premium tanks but the one that gives most people problems is the Super Pershing - as even the lower glacis is a nightmare to pen

with only the turret roof and the 2 areas not covered by spaced armour on the turret ( and you need an accurate gun to hit those area )

Do you want to win while listening to the sound of bouncing AP rounds?