__Croc

VK 30.01 (P): is it good?

9 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

88 of course. After the pen buffs there isn't much reason to use the 75.

Gun handling/shell velocity are awful, but if you can work around that the damage potential is so much higher.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Nalok said:

Which gun do you guys use? 88 for alpha or 75 for handling and a bit of extra pen?

11 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

Gun handling/shell velocity are awful

Not any more. After the buff, they are kinda average. crommie is way worse, VK 30.01 (D) has slightly worse, big bro VK 30.02 (M) just a hair better, and now it has the same soft stats as 34-85 (tank it resembles the most in playstyle- with alpha, penetration, and trash hull, good turret).

It's one of my highest performing MTs, got incredibly good results in it even with just a 1-skilled crew (Repairs, no Sixth Sense).
Its only downsides are the camo rating of a giant barn and the potato gun handling which can screw you up big time occasionally, but otherwise I consider this a rather underrated, mean beast of a machine.

I don't know why, but this tank just clicks for me. One of the easiest tanks in which to perform consistently very well. I pick it when I want to relax but still do well. 

Decided to start grinding this as it's now a gateway to 3 tier-10 branches through the Tiger P. Just unlocked the turret and obviously having the 88 unlocked from previous grinds helps a lot. I quite like it. Mobile enough with the second engine and a punchy gun for the tier. Not quite elite yet, and I have an absolute ghetto crew (no sixth sense and not yet at 100% either) but even in this state it's more than competitive. Looks like staying here to grind out the 1st crew skill won't be too much of a chore.

1 hour ago, Balthazars said:

Decided to start grinding this as it's now a gateway to 3 tier-10 branches through the Tiger P. Just unlocked the turret and obviously having the 88 unlocked from previous grinds helps a lot. I quite like it. Mobile enough with the second engine and a punchy gun for the tier. Not quite elite yet, and I have an absolute ghetto crew (no sixth sense and not yet at 100% either) but even in this state it's more than competitive. Looks like staying here to grind out the 1st crew skill won't be too much of a chore.

On my quest to unlock every heavium in game I have decided to go down the VK4502A line. The turret/alpha/top speed seem to be a killer combo, but I'm not sure how well this functions as a support tank.

I liked this tank so much that I kept it after the grind. It's just a surprisingly effective T6 medium, perhaps tied with the Strv 74 as best in tier. 

I sold this, because I needed the credits, but I kept the crew and am planning on buying it back.  Agree with pretty much all of the previous comments - hits hard, reasonable turrent, decent straight line speed, although it still has a pretty slow hull traverse (though not as dumptruck-like as the Skoda T25).  The alpha is what really stands out - you will seriously wake people up with the gun  220 alpha for AP at tier 6 will surprise people.

I bought this tank to start grinding out the upcoming on-track Maus line and this tank is actually on sale this weekend for 30% off. Anyway, this thing is a freaking beast. It almost feels like a tier 8 tank that is in tier 6. Fantastic firepower, solid mobility, good gun handling. It has to be the best tier 6 medium as I just don't see what other tank can measure up. Not the T-34-85, not the Cromwell, not any of the American tanks. Just loved it the entire time I played it. I will be selling it as I've unlocked the Tiger (P) but I can see myself buying it back in the near future. It is just a great tank.

Here's a replay of probably my best game in it. Doing just over 4k damage on Fjords while being bottom tier:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3992826#fjords-dirtyace7-vk_30_01_p

I don't know that it's better than the 34-85 - IMHO 34-85 beats it in a dogfight.  And I've never liked the Crommie.  But I'm going to buy it again soon as well.

I agree I've carried games as low tier in this sleeper of a med tank.  Granted I started with the top engine and already had the 8.8 unlocked so I cant say how bad the stock grind is.   Hitting for 200+ dmg each shot though is what makes this tank so good. 

Playing randoms where you're top/middle tier and the other team has a majority meds/tds?  Go smack some heavies around in the brawling areas since your alpha is more than adequate.   Low tier?  Play it like a td and easily get 2k dmg without breaking a sweat.  

On to the issue of camo...yes this is no cromwell so dont expect to active scout and not get lit.  I use vents, rammer, binocs though and get around 480ish vr so odds are I'll see you before you see me if sitting still behind bushes/downed trees.  It also gives you a role to play when low tier....spot for your team and get the occasional side shot in when the opportunity presents itself.   4-5 shots in and you're already at 1000 dmg...cromwell wishes it had that dank gun.

The only nerfs this tank really got was the new physics, and IIRC, the HD model turret significantly reduced its turret.

Its not as good as it used to be. 145 pen buff helped but is really not that important.

However, the tank, like everyone else has said, is good.

220 alpha makes any flaws with the guns aim time all better. The tank makes fair credits for the poorfags (lol me) of the world.

The mobility isn't what it used to be but its still *OK*.

Armor on turret can only buy you time, bouncing shells is not something it will do well.

The tank is also now very very ugly.

Well it was good. But then patch 1.9 happened so now it’s a HT apparently. You know how you make a MT a heavy: neuter the mobility and camo then add a few HP. No extra armour of course, cause that wouldn’t be historical. :kappa: