angus_white

Grinding up to the T-62A/Object 140

dear purples,

I have recently decided I want to work my way up to the soviet tier 10 mediums, but I am faced with the problem of deciding which of the three lines I want to take to get there. as a fairly new player (4000 battles, 1k wn8 50% win rate) I am aware its going to take some time and if necessary money. to minimise wasting these commodities I politely ask if those with experience on the subject could share a degree of it with me.

To give you a better idea of my current position, I have already ground up the British medium route, but find the experience of long range sniping to be boring as well as less useful to winning games.

I have a degree of experience with scouting (500 battles in various tier 4/5 scouts), but i am fully aware of areas I need to improve in.

The 140 is likely the easiest choice, as the A-43 is an RU version of the Cromwell, the 416 is one of the most potent tanks at tier 8, and the 140 gets additional gun depression and mobility over the 62, making it easier to learn. Then the 62, because quick research from the 54. And then the 430 is also available from the 416.

thanks for the tip! my main concern however is not which tier 10 to get, but rather which line to get there, the A line of vehicles, the T line or the light tank line.

17 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

The 140 is likely the easiest choice, as the A-43 is an RU version of the Cromwell, the 416 is one of the most potent tanks at tier 8, and the 140 gets additional gun depression and mobility over the 62, making it easier to learn. Then the 62, because quick research from the 54. And then the 430 is also available from the 416.

What he said. Also a-44 is a really fast battering ram heavium ( but is cinda meh cause everything at tier 7 is shit) and is better than t-43. Obj 416 has the t-54 gun. If you dont have much free xp you can research a second best gun of the t-54 at obj 430 II causw obj 430II uses the obj 416 gun as the stock gun, that can make stock t-54 a lot easier.

T-62a has the best armor and gun handling but is the slowest and has 5° depRussian

Obj 140 is the fastest and has 6° depRussian, has worst armor (stupid rng cupola) and its armour is made out of ammorack and crew members.

Obj 430 - useless when you can get the other 2.

I loved the a-43, idk why some people dont like it.

Imo the best line to go down is the Light Tank line. Really potent and easy to play tanks that will give you a hint of whats awaiting you (atleast if you play them more like mediums than scouts). It takes abit more xp, but you save yourself the struggle of going through other tank lines that are much worse.

58 minutes ago, Lilsaah said:

Imo the best line to go down is the Light Tank line. Really potent and easy to play tanks that will give you a hint of whats awaiting you (atleast if you play them more like mediums than scouts). It takes abit more xp, but you save yourself the struggle of going through other tank lines that are much worse.

This.

I'm currently in your same boat OP, and going down the Soviet light line means you get to play the fun T-34, bonkers quick LTTB and the T8 SH try hard tank brother of the IS-3, the T-54 Lightweight.

4 hours ago, Jug0sLovEn said:

Obj 140 is the fastest and has 6° depRussian, has BEST armor (stupid rng cupola) and its armour is made out of ammorack and crew members.

FIFY.

11 minutes ago, Megrin said:

FIFY.

Whenever I sidescrape in a brawl with my obj 140 I get penned in my turret 1 out of 4 shots. That never happens with my t62a. Also whenever I see a hulldown obj 140 I just pres 2 twice and burn the roof of his turret. I'm not saying it has bad armor but its just worse than its counterpart - the t-62a.

Or maybe Im wrong?

Just now, Jug0sLovEn said:

Whenever I sidescrape in a brawl with my obj 140 I get penned in my turret 1 out of 4 shots. That never happens with my t62a. Also whenever I see a hulldown obj 140 I just pres 2 twice and burn the roof of his turret. I'm not saying it has bad armor but its just worse than its counterpart - the t-62a.

the chance of hitting the roof of 140 is pretty much the same as the chance of hitting 62A's hull. both autopen. 62A can't really sidescrape if your enemy knows what they are doing, a lot of people don't know this but there's a turret base right there for you to shoot at.

140 can just work on so many more engagements and still be well armored, while 62A is stuck at its little hulldown spot because literally everywhere else except for the turret is autopen.

8 minutes ago, Megrin said:

the chance of hitting the roof of 140 is pretty much the same as the chance of hitting 62A's hull. both autopen. 62A can't really sidescrape if your enemy knows what they are doing, a lot of people don't know this but there's a turret base right there for you to shoot at.

140 can just work on so many more engagements and still be well armored, while 62A is stuck at its little hulldown spot because literally everywhere else except for the turret is autopen.

Im talking purely about armor, if I meet those 2 hulldown, I'll actually bother to shoot the 140 but not the 62a. Their hull armor is pretty much the same (auto pen) but the difference is in the turrets. Sure, obj 140 can use hulldown in some positions a t62a cant, but thats compensated by a weaker turret and the fact that its being more ammorack/fire prone and crew dies more than the 62a

1 minute ago, Jug0sLovEn said:

Im talking purely about armor, if I meet those 2 hulldown, I'll actually bother to shoot the 140 but not the 62a. Their hull armor is pretty much the same (auto pen) but the difference is in the turrets. Sure, obj 140 can use hulldown in some positions a t62a cant, but thats compensated by a weaker turret and the fact that its being ammorack/fire prone and crew dies more.

Trust me, 140's hull is far from autopen.

For example, against TVP:

430:

wNNLYVs.jpg

140:wyIeIMK.jpg

62A:

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

then, turret against HEAT:

62A:

wo01beL.jpg

140:

cX2KJnS.jpg

I do admit that in close quarter 140's turret is significantly worse because of the cupolas, but you don't fight close quarters most of the time, there's always a 100/200m distance between you and your enemy. think about this plus the fact that 140's hull can be easily put into autobounce angle using its depression and its 20% better moving/turning dispersion + it being faster and it being able to use more positions.

1 minute ago, Megrin said:

Trust me, 140's hull is far from autopen.

For example, against TVP:

430:

wNNLYVs.jpg

140:wyIeIMK.jpg

62A:

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

then, turret against HEAT:

62A:

wo01beL.jpg

140:

cX2KJnS.jpg

I do admit that in close quarter 140's turret is significantly worse because of the cupolas, but you don't fight close quarters most of the time, there's always a 100/200m distance between you and your enemy. think about this plus the fact that 140's hull can be easily put into autobounce angle using its depression and its 20% better moving/turning dispersion + it being faster and it being able to use more positions.

I am focusing on sidescrape armor, you are focusing on hulldown (mid long range). Ever since the obj 140 came out I could always pen it easier than the t62a and while I played them both, 62a felt sturdier. On the other hand we might be playing these 2 tanks completely differently. I play it very aggressively, always in the front, sidescraping E-100's at 10-50 meters slinging dirty heat rounds and the 62a's sidescrape is simply better. Also face hugging other tanks is not a problem in 62a while I get penned in those situations while driving the obj140

1 minute ago, Jug0sLovEn said:

I am focusing on sidescrape armor, you are focusing on hulldown (mid long range). Ever since the obj 140 came out I could always pen it easier than the t62a and while I played them both, 62a felt sturdier. On the other hand we might be playing these 2 tanks completely differently. I play it very aggressively, always in the front, sidescraping E-100's at 10-50 meters slinging dirty heat rounds and the 62a's sidescrape is simply better. Also face hugging other tanks is not a problem in 62a while I get penned in those situations while driving the obj140

i found 140 still better in close quarter fight tho. 

Alright, I'm a shitter, but this question has been asked so many times, I'll answer it.  Go to T54 and get BOTH tanks, they are both good.  Where else can you grind a second tier X that quickly and cheaply?  Get the 140 first though because it has the gun you need to run on your T54, the gun that leads to the 62a is only meh on the T54.

As for which line, I actually really enjoyed the T-34-85, T-43, and T-44 - plus they probably teach you a lot more about mediums.  I also played down the LT line and it is fantastic as well, the T-54 LT is one of the best tanks in the game, probably the one tank I would play if I could only play one tank.  You cannot go wrong either way - but get the 140 first -friends don't let friends play Tier 9 meds with derpy guns.

I would suggest the 140 first, just because it is more noob-friendly than the T-62A (that extra 1 degree of depression makes a really significant difference). T-62A requires much more intimate knowledge of terrain to play well and, while potentially more rewarding, is also much harder to master.

That being said, I would highly recommend getting both. You can never have too many RU meds.

thank you to all those who took the time to answer the question! I should have been more specific when I said I was only cared about which line to take, not which tier 10 medium to get, as this has caused YET ANOTHER 140 vs t-62a argument.

p.s how do you update your wot labs stats? I know I said I was new but these are still WAY outdated.

3 hours ago, angus_white said:

thank you to all those who took the time to answer the question! I should have been more specific when I said I was only cared about which line to take, not which tier 10 medium to get, as this has caused YET ANOTHER 140 vs t-62a argument.

p.s how do you update your wot labs stats? I know I said I was new but these are still WAY outdated.

It was more of a short discussion rather then an argument, and theres nothing bad about that. Your question was easy and already answered so me and Megrin took the chance to chat about the differences of those 2 tanks. I even learned form that chat that the obj 140 has way better hull armor (but I never ever noticed cause I always shoot with 260 - 330 pen ammo anyway) than the 62a. So, there you have it, you got your answer, we had a short discussion and thats it. Gl with the grind m9 :)