JSalvy

Old Games

45 minutes ago, Politx_Killer said:

Started with an Atari. Progressed up the consoles (sega megadrive, n64, xbox and PS4) but first game I loved to play (and still do) is the orginal Dues Ex. Great story line and a wealth of choices (being a ninja hacker who also loves to fire nothing but flamethrowers)

Agreed, had an Atari 2600 back in the day...no better games at that point than Pitfall, Frogger, Adventure and Pac Man.  Of course, we played the great, great grandfather of WOT, COMBAT!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_(1977_video_game)

9 hours ago, Khul said:

Oh, & the second Total War (Medieval I) still gets played to death. Actual tactics! Enemies that fight back rather than stream toward you at 200mph!!! Having to manoeuvre!!!!

Best part of Medieval 1 is the scale. Reinforcements for larger battles wasn't near as uncommon as later total war games. I particularly enjoyed the golden horde's entry onto the map at Kazakh. I always made sure to own Kazakh for that fight and just flooded it with units.

So far as my childhood list:

Super Marios Bros. 1 & 3 particularly - probably my first game ever was 1. I loved it and my sisters and dad enjoyed playing as well.

Bubble Bobble - younger sister and I played this and only beat it twice. Had something like 100 levels.

Street Fighter II - I fucking loved this game but my family and the ai couldn't keep up. I played enough at the time that I knew every move for every character. Tekken was the only other fighting game to grab my attention and not near to the same extent. 

Sim City 2k - never got a pc version until gog put it up but I had a ps1 version and still enjoyed it, though it was poorly optimized and even then not a good fit for a console controller. 

Delta Force 1 - my first fps and the only game I've played for probably more than 20,000 hours. I fucking breathed this game, would think about it at school. Playing it would eat into my sleep so I would sleep in class a lot of the time.

Delta Force: Blackhawk Down - delta force 1 wouldn't work on my new laptop at the time so I went to play this. It felt very similar to 1 and I enjoyed it. I didnt like how sniping wasn't as viable but it didn't matter as I was a very capable gunner. 

Rome: Total War with BI expansion & RTR. Unlike a lot of people I consider the base game to be one of the worst creative assembly has ever pumped out. Patched, given an expansion and heavily modded it's quite enjoyable though, to the extent it's one of my preferred games.

World Series baseball 1995 - first baseball game on the Sega Genesis. I had so much fun with this game and it actually is one of the reasons I prefer baseball over other sports.

NHL Allstars 95 - first actual sports game and I loved it.

C&C Tiberian dawn - first foray into base building rts

Red alert 1 - ant missions were fun as fuck as well as one or two campaign missions I particularly enjoyed. I also enjoyed some modded maps, one in particular where it was a comp stomp against a hard ai which had every initial advantage over us possible. Ally got beat but in death he can command my units so I pumped out a massive airforce for him to command as we whittle down the ai.

Tiberian sun - I fucking loved this game with the modded maps. So much fun. 

Supreme commander - loved it way back then, love it more now. Incredibly high skill ceiling where I can see everyone I play with where they clearly rank vs each other.

Half life 2 mod zombie panic source - holy fuck the hours spent playing this fun as fuck game. I loved to play as whitey, the lone carrier zombie at start. I had the best ambush locations and would grin from ear to ear when on the subway map iI'd jump out of the darkness into the middle of 6 survivors, kill 2 of them and hear over all talk those two survivors bitch in at the rest for not helping. When ever I was whitey, the survivors always lost to the extent that people would leave the servers out of frustration.

Half life 2 source mod battlegrounds 2 - revolutionary war fps. It was incredibly fun. Wide open or closed maps, what ever you wanted. Some people would run line battles where you have a commander and he tells your team where to go and when to fire, sometimes where to fire, when to charge. Sometimes people would run wide open maps more loosely where you have a commander but werent forced to line up, etc. Euros preferred the shooting experience. Americans preferred the melee which was a very quick paced bayonet fight. There were last stand, ctf and tdm type modes. There were also enough players and clans for 5v5 tournaments as well as a clan league. This was the last fps I was good at.

Close Combat a bridge too far - first foray into rts where you fight only with what you have at the start of the battle. One of my all-time favorite games.

Ace combat 4 & 5 - 4 is superior but I love them both, have it permanently hooked up in my living room

Recently played:

Capitalism 2, never heard of it back in the day, grabbed it off gog, love it.

Sim City 2k, as said grabbed off gog

Rome total war bi RTR - can't seem to get RTR to work for some reason, need to figure out why. I have an old save I want to play

Ace combat 4 & 5 when ever I feel like it

Supreme commander forged alliance - found someone new to play with then he pulls a @SchnitzelTruck and decides to break his game as well.

2 hours ago, JSalvy said:

Dude, mario was the shit back then! I played it on my friend's nintendo as well. Did you have Donkey Kong Country? I think that's what my friend had, He would always play as Donkey Kong and I would play as Diddy Kong. 

I had Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 on the SNES. On the Nintendo 64 I had Donkey Kong 64. I now just realized that a lot of Nintendo 64 games had "64" at the end. 

The first ever game I remember playing was Gran Turismo 1. The second was Colin Mcreae Rally. Lol. The third was Crash Bandicoot. I loved all those games (though I could never get past the second level in crash bandicoot)

Games that are old but I still love? Burnout 3: Takedown. My favourite game ever. I still play it every now and then, I've got like 2500 hours in it, total. Along with that, Need for Speed most wanted. The original. The was probably the best NFS game ever released, IMO. I still have it, and have 100%ed it, sort of. The disc is some sort of broken, and at the very end of the very last race against Blacklist 1, it freezes. Like, as you finish. So salty about that. I wanted that BMW :(

Abd one of my favourite all time PC games, Sid Meiers Railroads. Its a Tycoon game, i absolutely adore it, it cane out in a humble bundle a few years ago, after my disc broke, (also it was glitchy on Windows 7 and would crash regularly) so I got it back, and steam fixed the crashing issue, so i was pretty hyped for that. 

And my first RTS? Technically? Age of Empires 2. I played the hell out of that game, especially considering It was like 2007 when I got it lol.

35 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

The first ever game I remember playing was Gran Turismo 1. The second was Colin Mcreae Rally. Lol. The third was Crash Bandicoot. I loved all those games (though I could never get past the second level in crash bandicoot)

Games that are old but I still love? Burnout 3: Takedown. My favourite game ever. I still play it every now and then, I've got like 2500 hours in it, total. Along with that, Need for Speed most wanted. The original. The was probably the best NFS game ever released, IMO. I still have it, and have 100%ed it, sort of. The disc is some sort of broken, and at the very end of the very last race against Blacklist 1, it freezes. Like, as you finish. So salty about that. I wanted that BMW :(

Abd one of my favourite all time PC games, Sid Meiers Railroads. Its a Tycoon game, i absolutely adore it, it cane out in a humble bundle a few years ago, after my disc broke, (also it was glitchy on Windows 7 and would crash regularly) so I got it back, and steam fixed the crashing issue, so i was pretty hyped for that. 

And my first RTS? Technically? Age of Empires 2. I played the hell out of that game, especially considering It was like 2007 when I got it lol.

Burnout was so much fun,man. I played it quite a bit on the ps2. As for crash bandicoot, great game as well. Had it for my ps1. Too bad my scumbag friend never returned it. 

51 minutes ago, JSalvy said:

Burnout was so much fun,man. I played it quite a bit on the ps2. As for crash bandicoot, great game as well. Had it for my ps1. Too bad my scumbag friend never returned it. 

You have no idea how much i love burnout 3.

Like, sometimes when I have the absolute worst day ever. I need to vent or calm down or anything. I play burnout. Dont even touch the PC, 

Its just the best game ever. 

8 hours ago, vernl said:

Wow, how are counterstrike (up to 1.6) and battlefield 1942 not even mentioned here :doge:

Never actually played counter strike. I got them a few years ago, got distracted with other games and now I don't think I'd be very good at them so decided not to bother. Battefield 1942 I did in single player and not much as I was still binging on Delta Force 1. Like, I was so heavy into that game my parents constantly sought to remind me it's a game because they thought I'd go on a shooting spree.

One of the games I didn't list was Cruisin' USA. After highschool I worked at a gas station and 3-4 times a week I'd go out to play pool with one of the guys. We'd shoot pool for about 3 hours then we'd use their machines. They had some basketball game he'd play, strip poker game we'd do for shits and giggles and Cruisin' USA. On the record boards I'd go back and forth with some other guy. I don't know who he was but we'd swap first place victories, best times and so on almost daily until one day months later some jackass reset the machine. 

I did a lot of Sonic 2, Duck Hunt & Crash Bandicoot. Sonic & Crash were because my younger sister loved them.

Also, got RTR working yesterday. Started a match as Bactria, holy fuck I'm rusty but that 1,400 kill to 2 lost battle lel ^^

>old games thread

>no Roller Coaster Tycoon 1

PLEASE.

Roller Coaster fucking Tycoon (plus corkscrew follies/loopy landscapes) was MY SHIT as a kid in the 90s.

I still fondly remember going to Zany Brainy (an old-ass toy store that I believe is long out of business) and buying the Loopy Landscapes disk... and then getting my mom to take me back the next day so I could buy the original too since that was an expansion pack, lmbo.

I played the shit out of Panzer General when I was younger. Its successor, Panzer Corps still gets played regularly.

Also used to play Harpoon (naval simulation) a lot too. Master of Orion 2 was another favorite which saw a lot of game-time, especially since I rebought it on GOG, so I don't need the CD anymore.

FPS-wise it was Doom, Quake 1+2, and BF1942.

Some of the best ones I remember are from the Nintendo 64 era. Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, Rogue Squadron, and my hands down favourite, Battle Tanx Global Assault. Also loved Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth from PS1 fame, but I regret never actually buying it.

The first computer game I ever played was Panzer Commander, followed up by Sim City 2000 and one of the earlier versions of Train Simulator. Blitzkrieg 2 and Starcraft Brood War also hold special places for me, especially the original Starcraft mods. Nothing beats the Diplomacy maps for Starcraft.

Also quite surprised Superpower 2 wound up on Steam. That game all but got me hooked on grand strategy and is probably one of the best geopolitical simulators, period. While everyone else in middle school was doing sports and worrying about girls, I was busy uniting central Asia into the glorious Republic of Stan :P

I still routinely play the original XCom. The old LucasArts games (Monkey Island games, DOTT, Sam & Max, Full Throttle) have held up great. Tie Fighter and X-Wing I just got for free recently. KoToR is still fabulous, though not that old.

Let's see...

Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon 2, Air Bucks, Civilization, Civ 2-4, Duke Nukem on shareware, High Command, Harpoon, Panzer General 2, Pacific General (dabbled in modding for PacGen, and PG2)

what else... oh! Right. We had a Tandy CoCo2, and had Trapfall (knock-off of Pitfall), some knock-off of Centepede, a game called Ghana Bwana...

Those are the ones i spent enough time on to remember, there's others that don't come to mind right now because i played them much less.

None of which i still play. I doubt the disks are still good (just Civ 2-4 were on CDs, along with PacGen and PG2). And the stuff for the CoCo2 was on the 5.25" floppies.