FlorbFnarb

Computer booting reeeeeally slowly now

No idea wtf is going on.  My computer has started getting ridiculously slow.  I'm sitting here staring at a blank screen for a couple minutes waiting for Windows to start up.  The original hard drives are back in their original slots.  Power management is set to high performance.  I'm starting to get atrocious frame rates even with older games like Supreme Commander - extremely bad frame rates. The game doesn't even look like a flip book, at times it looks like the computer is literally storyboarding the game.

Malwarebytes found a few things and eliminated them, but no improvement.  Memory usage seems high: I'm running at about 90% of physical memory just from a few pages open in Firefox; CPU usage is at about 54%.  If I run even an older game like Supreme Commander it very quickly bogs down and hits 100% CPU usage.  SettIng the minimum of 250 units does nothing.  Lowered graphics settings does nothing - which makes sense if it's the CPU suddenly bottlenecks rather than the GPU.

What's the best antivirus software that isn't gonna bog down my system?  I'm starting to worry I've been hit by a virus.  Whatever it is, I can't have this nonsense.

1) Get a mallet

2) Threaten Computer with Mallet

3) ????

4) Profit

I still havent figured out number three for my computer. For my radio the third step involves hitting it several times until it works. Probably not recommended for computers as if I accidentally hit it with my hand it just turns off.

FFS Microsoft Security Essentials is taking forever to install...

44 minutes ago, nemlengyel said:

Replace Winblows Vista with a proper operating system in a clean install :doge: 

fNlxUyh.jpg

I'm going to put my money on "dying HDD". Stick SeaTools on it (Seagate drive analysis tool) and see if any of your drives start failing tests.

10 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

I'm going to put my money on "dying HDD". Stick SeaTools on it (Seagate drive analysis tool) and see if any of your drives start failing tests.

I'll do that.  That's occurred to me as well.

HD dying, virus/malware, software loading at startup. Task Manager is your friend as well as SeaTools or equivalent HD checker (Crystaldisk). Also, check for dead/filthy fans creating immediate overheat which can make CPUs self-throttle.

What is your PC build and OS?

2 hours ago, Kazzerigian said:

HD dying, virus/malware, software loading at startup. Task Manager is your friend as well as SeaTools or equivalent HD checker (Crystaldisk). Also, check for dead/filthy fans creating immediate overheat which can make CPUs self-throttle.

What is your PC build and OS?

Toshiba Satellite X205 laptop, Vista.

Looks like the HDDs are dying - both of them.

Both drives fail both the short generic and long generic test on Seatools.  D: drive passes the Short Drive Self Test, boot drive seems to be hanging at 10%.

FUCK SHIT DAMN.

52 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

Back anything you need up and then get new drives I'm afraid.

Gonna try to do something with one of the drives from my other computer.

24 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

Honestly florb I think its time for a new PC.

It is.  I have a couple things I need to spend money on first, but I think Imma spend about $800 total on parts for a new computer.

What's the consensus on Windows versions?  7, 8 or 10?

4 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

It is.  I have a couple things I need to spend money on first, but I think Imma spend about $800 total on parts for a new computer.

What's the consensus on Windows versions?  7, 8 or 10?

some people despise windows 10, and will say Windows 7 all the way, but Windows 10 is new, modern, and has DX12. and there isn't anything wrong with windows 10. 

I would go for windows 10 because you will get more support for it, for far longer. and the free upgrade thing from windows 7 ends in a month. 

There is no reason to run 7, ever. None. A tiny file mods 8 to look exactly the same, it it's a far more efficient OS than 7. I personally run Windows 10, but I also go to a lot of trouble nuking all the insane privacy invading bullshit in it. I would recommend 8.1 as the optimal OS right now.