FlorbFnarb

Laptop SSDs: Any brands to avoid, or brands to stick with?

Is brand that critical for a laptop SSD?  Probably looking to pick up at least a 250 GB SSD, probably more like 500 GB, then install Windows 7 on it.

6 minutes ago, An_Arty_Player_Hits_You said:

samsung evo series... mainstream for a reason, but imo is still a staple in ssd's

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of Samsung options.

You know you could keep all tgese into one thread instead of making a new thread every day...

For your question: Samsung 850 EVO. Accept no substitutes.

Have had good luck with Samsung for performance (and M2) and Crucial for larger SSD drives. No problems with Intel in the past, but haven't used them recently.

It's not the brand, it's mostly the controller.

Companys that sell SSD under their label? hundrets

Companys that produce relevant controllers for the consumer space? less than 10

Companys that produce NAND flash? 3-5 I think

And yes the 850Evo is a good choice. Why? The power consumption at the different idle states is very low and that's where most laptops/consumer SSDs spend most of their time. That combined with the good performance makes the 850 Evo a good choice.

What exactly does "vertical" mean to a laptop SSD?

2 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Context? Technical or buisness standpoint?

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA2W02DV8166

3 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

In context, same thing as "3D". Multiple layers of low-density NAND instead of a single layer of high-density NAND. Assuming same bit count per cell (SLC vs MLC vs TLC), there's unlikely to be much difference to the consumer, although endurance should be better.

2 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

In context, same thing as "3D". Multiple layers of low-density NAND instead of a single layer of high-density NAND. Assuming same bit count per cell (SLC vs MLC vs TLC), there's unlikely to be much difference to the consumer, although endurance should be better.

Ah.  Ok, that's entirely over my head, but what I took from that was "nothing to worry about".  Good to know.

Flor,

If its a new laptop check and see if it has an M.2 drive bay, before you buy your SSD. With the right protocol, you may be able to leave your original drive in as a data drive preserving you OEM OS Image. Plus some M.2 drive bays use the newest PCIeX4 protocol

which is super speedy.

Respectfully

Cloud_1

16 minutes ago, Cloud_1 said:

Flor,

If its a new laptop check and see if it has an M.2 drive bay, before you buy your SSD. With the right protocol, you may be able to leave your original drive in as a data drive preserving you OEM OS Image. Plus some M.2 drive bays use the newest PCIeX4 protocol

which is super speedy.

Respectfully

Cloud_1

The older laptop is a Toshiba Satellite X205 from 2007, the newer is a Toshiba Qosmio from 2010.  So neither is really new at all.

I agree with Samsung EVO series SSDs.  They have been reliable for me and always score among the fastest in real world benchmarks.

mine 500GB samsung EVO laptop till healthy for OS

other one 1GB for steam game

last one 250GB for wargaming game

its nice hardware and great no noise than HDD.

3 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

For your question: Samsung 850 EVO. Accept no substitutes.

Currently running a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 and loving it in my new laptop. (Thanks folterknecht for that) I currently have a <10 second boot time with it and windows 10.

1 hour ago, IanSanJR said:

mine 500GB samsung EVO laptop till healthy for OS

other one 1GB for steam game

last one 250GB for wargaming game

its nice hardware and great no noise than HDD.

1GB?  You mean 1TB?

I have 2 Samsung 840 pro's and an Intel 730 series that have been rock solid since 2013.

It literally says in the article a consumer won't use more than 100TB of writes, and they are doing 10x it. Just get an 850 Evo in whatever size you prefer and call it good.

1 hour ago, TaylorSwift said:

It literally says in the article a consumer won't use more than 100TB of writes, and they are doing 10x it. Just get an 850 Evo in whatever size you prefer and call it good.

This. Ignore the Pro versions. Get the EVO or m.2. Like Taylor said, a normal SSD will never expire for a standard user, not in several years atleast.

38 minutes ago, Stige said:

This. Ignore the Pro versions. Get the EVO or m.2. Like Taylor said, a normal SSD will never expire for a standard user, not in several years atleast.

And who keeps things for several years... They are outdated anyways. 

8 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

And who keeps things for several years... They are outdated anyways. 

I still have my 120GB Samsung 830 since it was released in back what, 2011? How is it outdated now? 
Only reason to ever upgrade it would be to a bigger one or m2 drive.

There is no such thing as "outdated" with SSDs, unless you have one of the slower ones.

25 minutes ago, Stige said:

I still have my 120GB Samsung 830 since it was released in back what, 2011? How is it outdated now? 
Only reason to ever upgrade it would be to a bigger one or m2 drive.

There is no such thing as "outdated" with SSDs, unless you have one of the slower ones.

Speed, controller, wear, warranty. I sold all my drives after warranty expired. And i have first ones 40GB and so on.