deepgift

The 121 *Crouching DeepGift, Hidden China Dragon* from one if it’s top Players. A guide with no BooB’s But an awesome tank.

Getting there

The 121 is by far my favorite tank even the 120 was a fun grind with me having almost 1k battles in the type 59 grinding a crew/ playing it the 121,120,type 59 feel very much like the same tank but up tiered,

Having about 10% of my games somehow dedicated to this tank I feel one with it  |300+  121,  300+ 120 ,~1000,t59|

How I got there, I’ve had the 59 since they put it on sale for the last time I jumped on the chance back when I was a scrubby to play this rare god of a tank.

Back when I started playing again china tanks had just come out, I free xped to the 59-16, skipped the 131 played some of the 132 and made my way to the 120

The Wz 120 starts painful only having the 100mm from precisely researched tiers so it becomes an over glorified type 59, where you really start to see the power in this line is with the 122mm with a 440~ average damage roll it is a heavy gun on a medium tank, compared to most other tier 10’s only having a 390 average damage roll this monster at tier 9 has the alpha and reload ~ 10 seconds to make a tier 10 think twice about pushing

Looking back at my type 59 it’s much harder to play now that I’ve logged so much time in the 121 and 120, it just isn’t up to par with the increased armor and fire power which scaled is massive, both for their tiers are power houses where as the type struggles to keep up

Ive heard the 121 not get much love over time DPM isn’t the biggest deal to me its dealing damage you can get out there keep exposer to a minimum and throw down some heavy sized damage

The Gun

The massive 122 With 2750 ADPM Stock

With vents/Bia/Ramer reload of 7.92|||| DPM 3333

Bia/ramer 8.10||DPM3259

74 DPM difference which is not much The difference Between Vents & no vents

Accuracy of 0.35m

Aim time of 2.70

Dispersion from moving                0.14

Dispersion from turret rotation    0.14

Turret traverse 40*/second

Depression sadly, -3/+15

Pen  Ap  194-323  Avg 258  HEAT   255-425 Avg 340

Damage  330-550  Avg 440

Good gun all-round big weak spot is in the depression

It can often hit a tank on the move or while moving I don’t have any problems hitting that scout moving at full speed, and its not the worst shot trying to make a hit go in while going in between 2 patches of cover

The Armor

With the average hp of a medium tank it has 1950 which falls in line  you can take 2-7 penning shots depending on what hits you but usually u can count on 4 + depending on bounces & exposure

Hull

Well Angled Frontal armor at 120mm Sloped at 50*

So head on an effective armor of 156 but give that a 30* angle(of your tank) and you get an effective of 313 on your upper plate

On the lower plate of 80mm angled at 50* with 104 effective angled at 30* gives an effective of 208. This is a good bit lower. If you can hide it all the better

Side’s of paper at 80mm | Rear of 60mm

Turret

Frontal 240mm | Sides of 130mm  |  A Rear of 60mm

If feels like a upgraded Type 59 you can’t always count on the front plate but well angled you can expect to bounce making sure you cover/ protect your lower plate and hide your inner sprocket when you poke and you will be golden(unless there flinging lots of gold)

Going hull down is a must if you can expose only that turret at range your hard to pen and it’s not likely to happen often

Weak spots

1.jpg

The longer view slit on the turret near the flat spot, is weaker

2.jpg

3.jpg4.jpg

Feels alot better you don't get racked as much as the type 59 or the 120

Mobility

Terrain Resistance

Soft 1.8  Med .9  Hard .8

HorsePower  580   Hp/Ton 1.89

Top Speed of 56 but on level ground don’t see it going past 50~

Your Slow to get started, but once you’re moving your good to go,

Set Up

Crew

I Have a 4 skill crew transfer from the Type59

Commander    Bia,   6th,                 Recon,Camo

Gunner           Bia,  SnapShot,      Repair ,Camo

Driver              Bia, Smooth Ride, Repair, Camo

Loader            Bia, Safe Stowage, Repair ,Camo

Equipment

Optics ,Vertical Stabilizer ,Gun Rammer

Consumables

Large Med Kit, Large Repair Kit, Automatic Fire Extinguisher

Your driver/ ammo rack are your 2 most damaged important modules, the large repair kit is for increased repair speed on tracks, where you need the automatic because you can get set on fire from the front with your forward mounted fuel tank

Ammo

40 Rounds

25 AP, 13Heat,2 HE

Heat is a Beast use it to pen those shots on super heavy tanks otherwise you will do fine with standard ap, and HE for those must reset moments or to scare off a super hull down tank(I don’t use them often)

The 74 DPM difference which is not much The difference Between Vents & no vents, which really isn’t much

Play Style

People ask me what the 121 is like and I say a T62-a With the IS-4’s Gun, the overall platform is very similar to the T62-a but you’re a bit more clunky with that extra turret armor and bigger gun, but you can make up for it because you have that big gun.

I use the 121 as a forward tank, it can get into the early action and dish out as much damage as most heavy’s but, it can’t take a hit so u got to make sure you know your maps,. Towards the end of a battle being able to take that extra hit can mean the game for you.

Knowing your map is important as well as to play the depression game knowing little spots where u can gain that little bit extra depression without exposing your self can be the difference between getting a shot and not, pick your engagements and understand that you can’t always go running in on a target that is lower than you.

Knowing spots that cover your lower plate or that hide your hull while you still have shots are the best ones but are often few and far between, but a wall works wonders when you poke out and deal 800 damage to that e-100 just as quick as he can while being able to evade his gun.

You Have Speed knowing how to use it helps, you’re not the fastest tank but you can get to a flank before it falls and make the difference. You have the speed and armor you’re a mid-ranged brawler you don’t have the accuracy of a lot of other tanks so sniping is harder with your lower accuracy gun.

The way I play is, as long as there is armor in front of you your up there your gun is helping there’s

My 2 Big Rules

1.Get Your Gun In The Fight

2.Keep Your Gun In the Fight

Your Regular AP rounds are GREAT you really don’t need gold innless you need it to pen some super heavy tank, this fact alone should make your enemy’s quiver when they see your and your big old gun out there

TL;DR

121=GUD

+Gud Gun

+Good Platform

+Speed

+Good HullDown

-Depression

-Acceleration 

Replays

7.2k out in 5 min

http://wotreplays.com/site/246366#mines-deepgift-121

8.2k & 7kills

http://wotreplays.com/site/209408#team

Platoon carry of team

http://wotreplays.com/site/209407#team

good overall use of terrain

http://wotreplays.com/site/266038#team

5th place link

http://www.noobmeter.com/tank/na/Ch19_121

Over all still a Work in Progress but its a start.

Thanks for the post. 121 4ever!

Alright, question.

The T-54 and T-62A play notably differently, and I consider the T-54 the more enjoyably of the two. Does this happen with the 121 and 120, or is the 121 just an incremental upgrade in the same style of the 120 that it appears? If so, I'll toss the 120. But if not I may keep what rapidly became my best-performing tier 9 medium (beating both T-54 and T54E1).

Alright, question.

The T-54 and T-62A play notably differently, and I consider the T-54 the more enjoyably of the two. Does this happen with the 121 and 120, or is the 121 just an incremental upgrade in the same style of the 120 that it appears? If so, I'll toss the 120. But if not I may keep what rapidly became my best-performing tier 9 medium (beating both T-54 and T54E1).

i can answer that one! The 121 is just an upgrade on the WZ-120: bit faster, bit more maneuverable, bit better gun handling - but it's the same gun, same tank really. The 121 does everything the WZ-120 does, just better.

and: i really loathed the WZ-120 by the end (gun depression >< reload time >< ) *and* i actively dislike the 121 - but that's as much down to the fact i'm terrible in both as the tanks themselves. i'm just not good enough to cope with the lack of gun depression, the long reloads and the generally sluggish performance (compared to other mediums I prefer to drive). Shame the 121 is my only Tier 10, lol :(

Plus rep for OP, even though I am bad in 121, dat depression!
Still, it is one of my favourite tanks in the game, after Patton master-race tanks of course and E-50M.

I have this researched just haven't bought it yet, waiting until it goes on sale. Thanks for review.

got the ace medal after playing less than 10 game in the 121. people often underestimate the amount of damage you can dish out..playing the wz120 really does prepare you for the 121

got the ace medal after playing less than 10 game in the 121. people often underestimate the amount of damage you can dish out..playing the wz120 really does prepare you for the 121

Huh. How much damage did you do? I struggle to get my ace, even though I had some (for my skill level) decent games in it, I assume.

But apart from this: Yea, the 120 prepares you, the 121 then really gets things done. Suprisingly, even angling works pretty well, as does baiting with your 120mm frontplate does :D

Huh. How much damage did you do? I struggle to get my ace, even though I had some (for my skill level) decent games in it, I assume.

But apart from this: Yea, the 120 prepares you, the 121 then really gets things done. Suprisingly, even angling works pretty well, as does baiting with your 120mm frontplate does :D

i did around 6.5K damage, 6kills, almost won the game when i foolishly reappear on the same spot where the ISU152 is already aiming..manage to kill of batchat, and 2 T54e1 as they bounce most of their shot.haha..some people really do underestimate the 121 rate of fire and damage potential when brawling.

winrate is at 64% after 12 games..still too early to decide on anything

I'm finally getting the swing of the T-34-3 and abusing its camo, ridiculous turret, and nasty alpha punch.

I think I may focus on the 121 as my primary tier 10 since it uses the same crew and has roughly the same playstyle. I actually ragesold it not too long ago because of that crappy depression, but rebought it after I learned how to fake gun depression with terrain and diagonal hill climbing.

While I like the E 50 Ausf. M, I can definitely tell that camo is still king and the Chinameds are pretty good at abusing vision.

Didn't like it, bad depression and bloom + bad agilty/speed didn't make for the better alpha ...

I would run a soviet meds instead of this ...

It's only good on flat map / urban map with good hull down position

with the corridor meta it's might get a little better tought

On himmelsdorf I go 8 line and hull down behind the rubble in the middle of the road. 121 unstoppable.

I love my 121. Good armor and the dpm for the amount of alpha you get is great. Just takes time to learn how to work the depression.

Thank you for your feedback on 121.

I'm currently on WZ-132 and T-34-3, and I'm almost ready to unlock and buy WZ-120 and 121 (using top of the tree dedicated on 121).

I've a question about skill perks.

I was planning to have this kind of skills (same crew that will drive also T-34-3, second skill is far from being maxed):

• Commander : 6th sense/Camo
  • Gunner : Camo/Snapshot
  • Driver : Camo/Smooth drive
  • Radio/Loader : Camo/situation awareness
  • Equipments : vertical stab/GLD/Optics

So I was planning to use 121 as some kind of scout.

Another option will be to have a crew fully aggressive :

• Commander : BIA/Recon
  • Gunner : BIA/Snapshot
  • Driver : BIA/Smooth drive
  • Radio/Loader : BIA/situation awareness
  • Equipments : vertical stab/GLD/Gun Rammer (or vents in order to decrease aiming time around 2.2sec)

What will be your advice of these configuration please?

Finally after thoughts, i will start with that configuration :

• Crew : (add BIA when 3rd perk available)
  • Tank : 121
  • Consumables : Small repair kit/Small first aid/Manual extinguisher
  • Tank : T-34-3
  • Equipments : vertical stab/GLD/Gun Rammer
  • Consumables : Small repair kit/Small first aid/Improved combat rations

This will be more safe to start..:)

Thank you for your feedback on 121.

I'm currently on WZ-132 and T-34-3, and I'm almost ready to unlock and buy WZ-120 and 121 (using top of the tree dedicated on 121).

I've a question about skill perks.

I was planning to have this kind of skills (same crew that will drive also T-34-3, second skill is far from being maxed):

So I was planning to use 121 as some kind of scout.

Another option will be to have a crew fully aggressive :

• Commander : BIA/Recon
  • Gunner : BIA/Snapshot
  • Driver : BIA/Smooth drive
  • Radio/Loader : BIA/situation awareness
  • Equipments : vertical stab/GLD/Gun Rammer (or vents in order to decrease aiming time around 2.2sec)

What will be your advice of these configuration please?

Gun laying drive < Optics or vents

121 gun control really isn't that bad.

in fact on vbaddict the top 3 equipements are : rammer/vertical stab/vents

So I will consider to change GLD by Rammer to finally have : vertical stab/Rammer/Optics

To test..and to test next week end..;)

http://wotlabs.net/articles/121-nothing-brawling/

In this review of 121, RBS is getting upset by 121.

do you share the same point of view?

Is there any advice on 121? Is there any better medium tank?

http://wotlabs.net/articles/121-nothing-brawling/

In this review of 121, RBS is getting upset by 121.

do you share the same point of view?

Is there any advice on 121? Is there any better medium tank?

I think the gun control is pretty good on the 121, unlike the 120, but the depression is so god damned awful, and the elevation is almost as bad.

On many maps, like El Halluf, I feel that the gun elevation is a bigger problem than the depression, as you often can't aim across the valley if you are on the slopes.

121 forces good map awareness on you, as the faults on it are so defining, that you have to work around them actively, I think it's a tank that makes you a better player.

My opinion on 121: A really really good platform somewhat let down by horrible vertical gun traverse.