Assassin7

**UPDATED** - [Experiment] how much does gold spam Actually affect your stats?

everyone has seen it. random pubbies claiming that you are only purple because you fire full gold ammo and they could do it too if they fired full gold - there was even a thread on it today.  But how much does it actually effect your stats? I don't think anyone has done an experiment on this, so I am going to give it a go. (rip credits)

what im going to do is play a number of games (im thinking 50 atm) in a tank, firing nothing but gold, and then firing almost pure AP.

**UPDATE** I have access to another account I can use which has the E-50 on it, feedback from the thread said that I would get better results than using the T29 - and I agree with them. this also means that I will be able to solo it because I wont have the pressure of using my own account for it (which is really the main reason I originally chose the T29)

the tank I am going to use for this is the T29, for a number of reasons:

1. being Me, I don't like soloing. I am going to solo in this experiment, and soloing above tier 7 just will not end well for me.
  2. Along with this, the tank used needs to have APCR as its gold round, because HEAT is not a straight upgrade in all situations like APCR is. The only tier 10 tanks I have that use APCR as their gold round are the IS-7 and the AMX 50B. I don't like the IS-7 so would not want to run that, and I dont like playing the 50B in pubs (due to arty focus and shit mostly) and would basically downright refuse to play it solo. 
  3. The T29 is probably the best tier 7 tank in the game, its a great tank at carrying, it has good gun handling and it doesn't need gold spam to do well (for example doing it in a tank like the Comet would produce biased results because it needs to be able to fire gold to be effective in a lot of situations)
  4. 4: I already own the T29 and have it fully equipped with crew and equipment, so cheap setup costs.

What I am going to do is play the battles with gold spam, and then without. but I Dont think I will run 0 APCR for the second run - IMO refusing to load any gold into your tank at all does nothing except put yourself at a disadvantage. and since the aim is to see how spamming gold effects your gameplay, I am going to run 5 APCR rounds in the tank for the standard run. enough to actually give me a chance if I run up against an E75 or something, but not enough for me to be able to spam it, or even kill a tank outright in a lot of situations, meaning it will only be for emergencies. (Unless people object to this thought process, in which case I will just run pure standard ammo)   **I will use only standard ammo with the E-50 for the second half of the experiment because It has enough standard pen to fight tier 10s**

my tank setup is as follows:

Spoiler

lhg4Sbg.jpg

I should be Livestreaming most of the challenge at https://www.twitch.tv/asassian7, and I am going to do my best to track the stats through VBaddict. (it should show up on my solo stats lol, because I refuse to play solo normally so there won't be any stats interfering with it) - if anyone can give abetter and fairly automatic way of tracking it that would separate the E-50 battles from other battles I play that would be a great.

my goal is not to see how high I can get in stats, its to see the difference in stats I would have from firing gold and not firing gold (though I do expect to 3 mark it during this challenge lol)

I think someone did an experiment like this one using a t69. Was it garbad... ? Ill try to find the thread and link it, so we can see the results of a few test from different people. I think he did a kv5 apcr too...

Found rexxies is6 challenge 

gl with your challenge..

it's undeniable that premium spam helps to pad stats and win games, but 90% of the job is done by positioning/personal skills level...

a thing that most pubbies refuse to accept and they'd rather blame someone than themselves..

btw, only 1 mark on t29? go away scrub :eww:

and IMO you can keep your loadout without changing anything, 30 rounds of either kind are enough for 99% of the battles you're going to play..

Could try this in Type 59 maybe.. Spamming full APCR in it just makes it piss easy to play and probably a bit overpowered even.

I can already confirm it made me uni recent without even trying. Suddenly, the 3K average sessions become a LOT more common in my stats and if I hadn't given up on the game, I'd probably have a nice all purple signature by now (it's basically a year since I last played, outside a couple of test games for new physics and such). It also boosted my WR a bit because again, the tactical part of it was mostly in place, I just didn't bounce anywhere near as much when pushing flanks or defending vs multiple tanks.

And I didn't even go full spam, I just loaded maybe 5 more shells and actually used them.

The WN8 difference heavily depends on the tank you choose to run. In you case T29 the difference will be much smaller than if you choose to run something like E100 or T69 just because these tanks have garbage standard ammo. IMO more interesting test would be something like E50 or M46 Patton as they are generally perceived as stat padding tanks.

Cool, will be interesting to see the results.

Think the DPG and the WR will go up a slight bit, as you will have less chance to bounce stuff which might come back to haunt you/troll bounces on low tiers yadaa yadaa

Other than that, i doubt there will a huge increase in wn8, although considering apcr has a higher shell velocity there may be some surprising results. Do think you should do a APCR/HEAT goldspam comparison challenge as well, since you are already doing this  :doge:

It really depends on what tanks you're playing tbh

RU meds or T10 meds in general don't really need their gold ammo in most situations (sure handy to have, but I find myself averaging like 2 HEAT shells fired per game in them) unless I yolo banana on Himmelsdorf with 62a or something. The only tier 10 I really found myself spamming gold in was the AMX 50B. And that was because of shell velocity combined with gun handling allowed for a lot more comfort/less exposure. 

T9 meds are a whole different story, tier 9 tanks in general too. My Conq and M46 haven't had an AP round see the light of day since less than 100 battles back in both of the tanks. The APCR rounds are just too good to not use them. 

T8s and below really vary, some tanks are balanced around its gold round (416, Pershing) and some tanks have almost as high pen as other T9 tanks (STA-1) but yet again, there are tanks that simply needs that gold round to be viable in pubs in the first place. 

I'd say it's been a 500 DPG increase since I stopped shooting AP altogether in the Patton, but that increase is biased since I was shooting 50/50 APCR to begin with

1 hour ago, WhatTheSkara said:

gl with your challenge..

it's undeniable that premium spam helps to pad stats and win games, but 90% of the job is done by positioning/personal skills level...

a thing that most pubbies refuse to accept and they'd rather blame someone than themselves..

btw, only 1 mark on t29? go away scrub :eww:

and IMO you can keep your loadout without changing anything, 30 rounds of either kind are enough for 99% of the battles you're going to play..

It will obviously raise my stats, (hell, playing the T29 for a large session alone will do that because tier 7 padding) but the question is by hpw much, and what difference will I have when running only standard.

Honestly, i played 5 games tonight, all gold spam. And out of all of tge damage I did, i would put less than 1K of it to running gold (and that was only me just autoaiming on an OI instead of trying to aim at it)  there was a game in particular where I was firing gold into the ass of a T-34/100 that was trying to run away, i put 3 shots in there and it just wasnt needed. I could of switched to AP and it would of still easilly penned. Hell, even the front of a T-34/100 standard would of auto penned.

I think it would be interesting to see a lower level player do the challenge, say 1500 WN8, and see how much ot raises their stats. Also doing it at tier 10 in something with APCR as the gold round (215B/IS-7?) due to how I play and enjoy WoT it wouldnt be feasable for me to do it at tier 10. (i would end up just rage quitting tbh) but at least at tier 7, i get the factors of being bottom tier in as well. 

Also, only 1 mark because I barwly play it - or anything else below tier 8 any more. I expect to find this whole thing kind of fun and refreshing from the standard tier 8-10 i usually play. 

I don't think the word challenge means what you think it means.

It's not going to be a challenge if you set it up to be done the easiest way possible, by picking the tank with the best gun in tier (a known clubber in it's tier at that) and having an excuse ready to be able use gold rounds to get yourself out of tough spots.

25 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

I think it would be interesting to see a lower level player do the challenge, say 1500 WN8, and see how much ot raises their stats

I'd be happy to take you up on that Assassin.  Assuming I'm at the skill level you'd like to see.  Just message me the details, could be fun.

I'm curious why you think doing the challenge in something like a Comet wouldn't give good results. If there is a difference, wouldn't it be easier to see on a tank that has a large difference between the standard and gold round? Isn't part of trying to disprove the logic that gold rounds make you purple showing that a low pen tank can be effective without them?

I think i can give an accurate estimation given my "profession"

On a tier 8 like mutz/kr/Is5 with full gold/food setup(to 3 mark) i can pull around 3k dpg.

without food/gold(when im tasked to farm cred)  i pull around 2.6-2.7, so i'd say its 10-15% difference for tier 8s at least.

I'm usually a broke ass bitch (no Premium Account and I almost always have another tank to buy)

So I typically only use gold when I feel it is necessary to pen or to help lock up a close win.

Assassin7:

AsT29_zpsdbrtlnz1.jpg

This is my Recruit Account with crap re-trained M6 crew, 99% solo Pub.

NaTonker (also almost no gold, because I need to save credits for the T32)

T29_zpsvgltlfjx.jpg

1 hour ago, HabNab said:

I'm curious why you think doing the challenge in something like a Comet wouldn't give good results. If there is a difference, wouldn't it be easier to see on a tank that has a large difference between the standard and gold round? Isn't part of trying to disprove the logic that gold rounds make you purple showing that a low pen tank can be effective without them?

I played through Comet with full AP loadout but I am an anti-gold whore. It didn´t seem so bad, although almost all brit meds lack alpha. I mostly shoot what I can pen and shy away from what I can´t. Ended up with over 57% WR anyhow. No idea whatsoever of WN8 from those 166 Comet games. I think gold ammo is kinda overrated in that way that people use it just too much. like they feel that they couldn´t do without it. Probably pads stats a bit but to each of his own.

Perhaps a interesting choice would be full AP (and I mean FULL AP, no HEAT whatsoever in any situation) T-54 versus full HEAT-54.

You are just simply stupid and bad if you deny using any premium shells at all to do your maximum to win games. You should always use all tools available at your disposal to win games. Unless ofcourse you are just a hilarious baddie who "play for fun xd" and "there is no honur in gold ammo"

One statistic I would actually be fairly interested to see, though it would probably work better with HEAT firing tanks, is if more prem ammo gets thrown back at you more often while you are firing prem ammo.

If you are going to gold spam the T29, go with the 90mm. AP use the 105. Going full AP is just a bad idea, if it comes down to you vs a STI or E-75, you better be packing something you can shoot instead of tickle them with. But then again if you are shooting APCR rounds at arty and CDC's, that's a little over the top, you are only costing yourself silver by not killing them with a cheaper round, they however will be just as dead, no matter how much they complain about you shooting them with gold (I use very expensive silver) ammo.

Pubbies always complain about anything but being bad, gold ammo is just their go to complaint, kill them with AP from camo and they will complain about that instead.

You can imo split this into 2 different questions:

1. No gold vs moderate gold
  2. Moderate gold vs full gold

Incase of 1, gold ammo will give more wins and dmg, incase of 2 i think only damage.

I use ``moderate`` gold ammo, even on tanks like E50 / M46 i only have 15 or so gold shells and use AP as main ammo, even against though targets, unless ofc i need to kill that E75 head on, i wont loose because AP bounces when i have 10 apcr left, yet my AP ammo does cost me dmg due to bounces, i guess 1 hit every game?, and on tanks where its a massive difference, say T54, it might even be 2 hits (even on tanks like T54 i shoot a lot of AP, i have 25 AP, and i often run out of it)