So randomly my computer has started having random frames drops in every game. This has been accompanied with a freeze/crash that just stops everything on my computer. Dead flat, with nothing running- so I have to force shut it off.

I'm not sure if there is a way to show the problem via screenshotting it/using a program, but this is a serious issue and would be amazing if I could figure out what the fuck is going on with my computer.

EDIT: Sorry for the bare-bones thread topic, but I genuinely don't understand what the fuck is wrong with my computer. It doesn't make any sense to me what-so-ever.

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fjTtJV

My first guess is the processor, but I'mm so fucking clueless as it what is happening and it's 100% freaking me out. I do have the funds to buy whatever is needed/necessary. I was also thinking about upgrading my case for more room/space as well as better airflow throughout my computer, so it might be a good time to go ahead and start upgrading.

6 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

More likely its the mobo.

Is it? I don't understand what is happening, and it genuinely has me panicking. If anyone could find a better build with an upgraded mobo, processor, and case- that would be appreciated.

I had a issue with my computer that sounds similar, it freezes the screen without any blue screen or error reports. Funny thing is though, it would run fine when the temperature of my room was like 60 degrees, (this was when I just opened the window in the winter). Pretty sure it wasn't a cpu issue because I have some pretty nice cooling. My issues dissolved when I swapped my motherboard and cpu setup, I'd agree with fulcrous about the mobo.

3 minutes ago, Veo said:

I had a issue with my computer that sounds similar, it freezes the screen without any blue screen or error reports. Funny thing is though, it would run fine when the temperature of my room was like 60 degrees, (this was when I just opened the window in the winter). Pretty sure it wasn't a cpu issue because I have some pretty nice cooling. My issues dissolved when I swapped my motherboard and cpu setup, I'd agree with fulcrous about the mobo.

That's exactly what it's doing. Everything seems to be working perfectly fine, when randomly the computer will freeze and fail to do anything- no blue screen, error message, or audio errors to indicate a crash- just a frozen screen. I know nothing about mobo's, though, so I'm clueless on what I'd get.

Also is my CPU decent, or should I just go ahead with an upgrade?

3 minutes ago, Masterpupil2 said:

That's exactly what it's doing. Everything seems to be working perfectly fine, when randomly the computer will freeze and fail to do anything- no blue screen, error message, or audio errors to indicate a crash- just a frozen screen. I know nothing about mobo's, though, so I'm clueless on what I'd get.

Also is my CPU decent, or should I just go ahead with an upgrade?

When it comes to choosing parts, I can handle my own to build, but I wouldn't recommend anything. I'm not a professional or anything.

I'm running one of intel's skylake i7s and I can say that's a pretty nice processor.

Unless you're looking to upgrade in the near future (i.e. a total CPU upgrade), the 4690k is enough. Although I'd get a better cooler so you can OC the 4690k to 4.7+

Computer having to be rebooted sounds like something is faulty. Odds are it's the CPU, mobo or PSU.

@Folterknecht Any ideas on how he can analyse the issue?

A lot of computer stores will let you bring in your pc to their store and theyll diagnose what the problem is for you for like 25$. Which is probs a better option then relying on people who cant physically see whats going on and are just relying on your description.

If youre going to be dumping 100$+ into something, IMO you shouldnt be relying on internet friendz to tell you where to spend that money. Better to be safe with someone who can actually see what's going on and will be able to swap out parts on a test bench to confirm for you.

Why you don't test stuff, it costs nothing?

• memtest for memory, at least 10 passes
  • occt for CPU, to check temperatures under load, stability under load and frequency (throttling)
  • some 3d benchmark for the overall stability of system

Then you can draw conclusions. 

I had an issue somewhat similar to this and it turned out to be my GPU. You could possibly try using older parts assuming you still have them just for a bit to see if it changes anything. Perhaps run some stress tests along with it.

This isn't my picture,
but my gpu causes this randomly sometimes

34qpsnr.jpg

:foreveralone:

Do you have any bent pins in the CPU socket?

So I've been running Prime95 the last hour, and it looks like my computer isn't having any major problems. I've never stress tested a computer before and I'm still pretty uneducated when it comes to computers, but with the research I've been doing, it looks like my problem is mobo related, in which I might as well just go the full length of finishing the upgrades on my computer by getting a new case, mobo, and processor. 

EDIT:

I get home around 4 pm EST today, but I'll be looking for some parts that I can use in my upgrade. I'd like for my limit to be around $1000 on these parts, as I also need thermal paste ($5 cost there though), and possibly water cooling. 

Whats the temp when the stress test is running?

Have you  looked in the event viewer to see if there are any error reports at the time of the crashes?

Does the computer take longer to come back on after a crash?

6 hours ago, Masterpupil2 said:

So I've been running Prime95 the last hour, and it looks like my computer isn't having any major problems. I've never stress tested a computer before and I'm still pretty uneducated when it comes to computers, but with the research I've been doing, it looks like my problem is mobo related, in which I might as well just go the full length of finishing the upgrades on my computer by getting a new case, mobo, and processor. 

EDIT:

I get home around 4 pm EST today, but I'll be looking for some parts that I can use in my upgrade. I'd like for my limit to be around $1000 on these parts, as I also need thermal paste ($5 cost there though), and possibly water cooling. 

I had similar problems. Turned out it was my RAM before i upgraded to DDR4. Had 8gb of the same frequency just doesn't cut it anymore. Like the others above said most likely a mobo issue. With a rig like that I can see that the amount of RAM is still fine being 8gb, but I had DDR3 at 1333 mhz and I was gimping my frames by pretty significantly because they were so old. Upgrading to the LGA 1151 is not only noticeable even from a Z97 chipset it also comes with DDR4 ram and with each significant jump in frequency you can see your frames go up by 5-20 frames depending on how much ram you get and the frequency as well.

Brett and I also gave Oxmathus a build to go off if you'd like to see.

2 hours ago, _Assad said:

I had similar problems. Turned out it was my RAM before i upgraded to DDR4. Had 8gb of the same frequency just doesn't cut it anymore. Like the others above said most likely a mobo issue. With a rig like that I can see that the amount of RAM is still fine being 8gb, but I had DDR3 at 1333 mhz and I was gimping my frames by pretty significantly because they were so old. Upgrading to the LGA 1151 is not only noticeable even from a Z97 chipset it also comes with DDR4 ram and with each significant jump in frequency you can see your frames go up by 5-20 frames depending on how much ram you get and the frequency as well.

Brett and I also gave Oxmathus a build to go off if you'd like to see.

Throw it up, I'd love to see. The interesting part is that I want to mess with computers (very general atm, nothing decided) as a career, but I have no idea about anything mobo/CPU related and it sucks.

2 hours ago, ADeadMan1 said:

Whats the temp when the stress test is running?

Have you  looked in the event viewer to see if there are any error reports at the time of the crashes?

Does the computer take longer to come back on after a crash?

Temps are actually normal at around 70 degrees Celsius (at least that's the normal when I'm playing games, hope I don't seem like a moron if that's not normal) when it crashes, and it boots up as if nothing happened. 

28 minutes ago, Masterpupil2 said:

Throw it up, I'd love to see. The interesting part is that I want to mess with computers (very general atm, nothing decided) as a career, but I have no idea about anything mobo/CPU related and it sucks.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9PwV3F

Note that just like you; Ox already had the bare essentials like the case, psu, and gpu.

More or less the motherboard is one of those "All out motherboards" That's the on Brett is currently sporting on his. 

The RAM is pure choice and DDR3 to DDR4 is noticeable, but the higher the frequency you choose all you'll really see are small gains in fps anywhere from 1-2 to even 5-10 so getting a 3400 mhz over a 3000mhz ram stick will have minimal performance boosts at best and will cost more. But you are going to want DDR4 flat out. I picked up twin 8gb 3000 mhz for $50 at frys electronics.

The motherboard brings me to the next subject Brett went all out and bought the ASUS Maximus with an i7 6700k you can do that if you want to, but the one Ox switched to with Burdened and I is the MSI Z170A M5. It literally makes no difference save for having either a sound card or a wifi card. Other than that the difference would be down to the bios and it's features. The Z170 chipset holds support for the LGA 1151 which basically means it supports the Skylake version of CPUs. Go for the Asus if you want to go all out or settle with the MSI or whatever other brand you want if you want to save money. The only reason why me and burdened have the MSI board is because we have MSI GPUs.

Also the primary difference between the H170 and the Z170 is that the Z170 will let you overclock and the other will not.

Most gaming Motherboards will have atleast 4 slots for additional RAM and multiple PCI-E slots for multi GPU support as well.

Your CPU btw is literally the same as the 6600k. The 6600k I recommended to both Ox and Burdened is just a slightly better 4690k and by that i mean its barely 5-10% in most cases. So you're pretty much good to go on that, but if you like the grand strategy genre or just want to play highly demanding games on a smoother experience by all means go for the i7. The i7's are more future proof than i5's are, but you can still overclock the i5's and have them last just as long. 

Lastly I noticed that you have an aircooled CPU. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I recently just switched from air cooled to liquid cooled on the H80 by corsair. It's like having good assurance though when you actually do get into overclocking you CPU. To know that your you dont need a giant block of metal that barely fits into your case; struggle to keep the cpu from melting. These corsair liquid coolers the H80 and H100i are amazing (I got the H80 because at the time the H100 wouldnt fit because I had a smaller case) I cranked up my CPU to max at 4.8 GHZ on Total Warhammer and without it melting either!

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pFy9WX

^That's the basic build that Burdened and I had before I went all out.

36 minutes ago, _Assad said:

Thanks dude, love the info.

I'll be going over what I need to buy on TS a little later with Juris_ from VILIN, so I'll take what you said and what he says and try and find the best deal for me. I hate having to spend money in general, but I might as well just take this as an opportunity to upgrade the rest of my PC.

Yeah most of reference prices here you can for sure find for a lower price somewhere. It's just the newer stuff like the CPU that will be gridlocked on price.

last time my pc is running wot at 25fps max, i found that my gpu was stolen.

As a basis, can someone tell me if they would recommend the parts that I've picked out for the upgrade?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2sZvVY

Upgrades ^

Original v

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fjTtJV

14 hours ago, 37h said:

This isn't my picture,
but my gpu causes this randomly sometimes

34qpsnr.jpg

:foreveralone:

YUP that's exactly what my old one did on occasion before it just died completely (well not COMPLETELY but anytime I put a load on it, screen would do that or go black and I'd have to unplug and plug the power cable back in)

I can't tell you how many wot matches it ruined for me :(