Solono

Solono's Chemistry Thread (WITH VIDEOS)

So some questions,

1. Can someone actually make a usable iron oxide to use out of rust, say, a heavily rusted barrel?

2. How easy it is to get powdered aluminum? Can someone just grind aluminum to powder from strips of it?

3. Exactly how easy it is to cause the thermite to burn? I assume you're using magnesium strip to lit it, which can be very hot, but just how hot does it need to cause the reaction? Like, can someone just throw a match at it and the thermite will burn?

4. I notice you commented on the dog being obnoxius in one video and stopped hearing it in the next videos, did you kill the dog?

5. Are you on a watchlist now?

6. Also, why's there's no pics of the byproduct of the reactions once it cooled down?

7. What safety precautions you have prepared? i.e fire ext, bucket of sand, and the usual hazard gear

8. Do you plan to keep burning that poor piece of soil every time or there'll be plan for, say, putting ceramic or concrete block there?

9. How do you store the materials?

:oscar:

4 hours ago, Lockhart77 said:

So some questions,

1. Can someone actually make a usable iron oxide to use out of rust, say, a heavily rusted barrel?

2. How easy it is to get powdered aluminum? Can someone just grind aluminum to powder from strips of it?

3. Exactly how easy it is to cause the thermite to burn? I assume you're using magnesium strip to lit it, which can be very hot, but just how hot does it need to cause the reaction? Like, can someone just throw a match at it and the thermite will burn?

4. I notice you commented on the dog being obnoxius in one video and stopped hearing it in the next videos, did you kill the dog?

5. Are you on a watchlist now?

6. Also, why's there's no pics of the byproduct of the reactions once it cooled down?

7. What safety precautions you have prepared? i.e fire ext, bucket of sand, and the usual hazard gear

8. Do you plan to keep burning that poor piece of soil every time or there'll be plan for, say, putting ceramic or concrete block there?

9. How do you store the materials?

:oscar:

1. Only if you grind the rust off, and there won't be a lot unless it's extremely corroded. 

2. Amazon sells it. You can if you have a ball mill, although if you're poor a blender might get you some decent aluminum powder if you leave it in for a few hours.

3. The thermites I've shown thus far are mixed in terms of catalyst, one is Mg the others are Al. Al thermite is famous for being difficult to start, Mg thermite is easier, but I'm not sure about a match. The temps need to be fairly high to start the reaction.

4. No, I simply waited until the dog stopped barking before doing videos, the dog barks forever.

5. Probably not.

6. Because it looks like a random metal puddle, not very interesting.

7. Hose and sand for thermite. Sometimes I use gloves when prepping the thermite, simply because it's messy as hell or if I make copper thermite. There is no real safety hazard outside of Cupric oxide, it's mostly to prevent messy hands.

8. I do the reactions now on a piece of concrete brick.

9. In my garage, which is cool and dark. All materials come in their own sealable bags. 

9 hours ago, Solono said:

Waiting for tripod :fish: 

Name that after me too :fish: 

Not giving on videos, just waiting for a tripod for my phone. In the meantime, a question: Would anyone object to switching from 4K to 1080 on recording? I figure the vast majority of people don't use 4K and it just slows everything up/eats my space alive on my phone.

On 7/22/2016 at 10:34 PM, Inciatus said:

@Solono where's a good place I can get a vacuum pump that I can pull 29.25" Hg or someway I can adjust the vacuum produced with a stronger vacuum?

Why do you need such a specific amount? 

As for adjusting, you could use a small valve with a small opening to regulate the pressure. Size of the opening would depend on how much more powerful the vacuum pump is than what you need.