zapyoug

Type5 heavy 3 mark review

hgunXmA.jpg

So the type5 heavy. After its introduction it quickly rose to the title of "worst tier 10 in the game" and even after receiving a small buff alongside the type4, its status has not changed. After 3 marking the tank and ending up with 3744dpg after 100 battles though, I felt like there was some value to be had in this boxy abomination.

The Armour 
The armor is what this tank lives and dies by (though dying more often than living) It has an 260mm frontal hull armor with essentially no weakpoints assuming it is not angled and is almost entirely flat. What this equates to is that almost anyone who is not a tier 9 or 10 tank destroyer is either going to be incapable of penning you or will press 2 resulting in your tank becoming butter. Now you might think "oh its a box, I can sidescrape with it though" and if that comes to mind you are sadly mistaken, the type5 has ferdinand esq cheeks on each side of the hull that make angling impractical as anything other than a last ditch effort when in the open when the enemies have loaded gold. Not to mention that being shot in said cheeks will often result in ammo rack damage.

eMAcZQT.jpg

So most of the time you are either going to just go front twards enemies and be bulletproof or be very confused why your TOG is fighting tier 10s.
Things aren't completely hopeless though if someone can pen you. It is possible to angle the tank around corners and if you hide the badly angled side properly you can bait out shots quite effectively. And should you get hull down, you can use your 10 degrees of gun depression to actually make your turret somewhat respectable of a target. Note: wiggling can help against people who can just barely pen you and over angling your side can help against heat due to the spaced armor covering a significant amount of it.

Mobility

its fat and weighs 150 tons. what are you expecting here, its slow. Less so than the type4 but still bad. 25kph top speed, bad reverse speed. Hills are nightmares and will drop you to 7kph if you are lucky. Nuff said

firepower 

The gun on this tank is disappointing to say the least. The reload can be dropped down to about 14.5 and the aplha is 600 with mediocre accuracy, thats not what kills it though. This thing only gets 282 pen gold rounds, gold AP. So, you see a hull down e100? You either have to leave or push up until you can shoot his hull as you cant touch his turret. Its a massive flaw that makes it incredibly difficult to fight many other tier 10s. E3s are an absolute nightmare to fight. You cant flank them, you cant pen them(most of the time) and they can near autopen you. Grilles are also surprisingly difficult to deal with as they are often able to aim and pen you with ease before your reticle is shrunk down to anywhere near reasonable enough hope to hit them.

Preferred equipment 

fPHUzcu.jpg

I used vstab rammer and optics. The optics can be swapped out for vents or super heavy spall but I personally preferred optics for my yolo scouting runs as when stacked with food and my consumables left me at 490+ vr

Gameplay

So I said that I thought this thing had some sort of value. Why and how? this tank is awful.
well if you can get over every arty within the space of 3 maps trying to shoot at you and the fact that any reasonable human being is pressing 2 the moment you come near the type5 is capable of doing work. If you can pick a fight with lower tier tanks, they have difficulty doing any damage to you at all regardless of where they shoot you frontally and being able to avoid bleeding any HP when fighting certain tanks is a valuable trait. If you find any tier 10 players as well in say t110e5s who are just a tad on the clueless side they can become lunch at little to no cost to your health and say you do get in fights with say an IS7driver with full apcr and a clue how to play. You can still just brute force your way to victory with 2900 health and with a bounce or two from significant wiggling.

an example of some excellent cockroaching against people who were firing gold but unsure what to do against the spooky type5 heavy https://secure.twitch.tv/abandoned_spirit/v/76144474

3rd mark session (with other tanks in between) https://www.twitch.tv/abandoned_spirit/v/76095656

OMFG dude... F. Checking the tanks you have with 3 marks... wow you are the patience made human

Ur officially my hero now. 3 mark on that thing in under 100 battles? :damn:

Despite its worst tier 10 HT (although that VK CW reward seems to be seems, maybe even shittier judging from watching some streams such as orzy) and one of the worst tier 10s (only worse ones are worst of gimped casemate TD, aka 268 and Foch, and FV4005 which is basically arty with more HP but no ability to fire indirectly) its quite fun to play actually. On EU its arguably better overall tank because gold is spammed there little less, and average intelligence is quite possibly lower on EU server (imagine all those 100WN8 siemkas).

Its extremely annoying sometimes when you get gold spammed and you cant do anything to it, aswell as arty being shit, but 2,9k HP + 10 depression + acceptable gun handling + alpha is quite fun when it works. I dont play it many battles in row because i will probably rage but its rather hilarous. I have 2 marks by myself, cant even dream of getting 3 with my skillz.

Ironically its actually best tier 10 in the game on sandbox :serb:not joking, it is the best.

8 minutes ago, crapcannon said:

What was your survival percentage?

50%

I hadn't actually checked that. Its way more than I expected. It felt like I died constantly in the type5.

Ever tried running double repair kit? So small repair, large repair and food. Got tired of getting double ammoracked and switched to that but long term experience yet if it works.Maybe even dropping vents to SpallLiner (50% crew protection) so less problems because of not having medkit.

51 minutes ago, sahtila said:

Ever tried running double repair kit? So small repair, large repair and food. Got tired of getting double ammoracked and switched to that but long term experience yet if it works.Maybe even dropping vents to SpallLiner (50% crew protection) so less problems because of not having medkit.

Im actually doing this by myself already. Dual repair kits really help considering arty can track you often and ammorack damage just like you said (also engine, gun and fueltanks gets damaged ocassionaly). 

When it comes to 3 marking purposes, though, i recommend having really good crew first before using dual repair kit. JOAT is great if you use dual kit + food, but for marking purposes you do want to have BIA, SA and Recon, but that would mean you need 4 skill commander. Think i just hit max view range with 100% SA skill, BIA, food, and half-done recon skill. 

26 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

Im actually doing this by myself already. Dual repair kits really help considering arty can track you often and ammorack damage just like you said (also engine, gun and fueltanks gets damaged ocassionaly). 

When it comes to 3 marking purposes, though, i recommend having really good crew first before using dual repair kit. JOAT is great if you use dual kit + food, but for marking purposes you do want to have BIA, SA and Recon, but that would mean you need 4 skill commander. Think i just hit max view range with 100% SA skill, BIA, food, and half-done recon skill. 

The radioman is separate from the  commander in the Type 5.

Also nice job zap T28 soon?

Just now, Inciatus said:

The radioman is separate from the  commander in the Type 5.

BIA + SS + JOAT + recon

well, not fully 4 skill commander, but with 0 JOAT you cant reach max VR with rammer/spall/vstabs setup IIRC. Think JOAT needs to be around 30 - 50 to hit max VR, cant remember exactly

actually isn't that observation port in the frontal hull  weakspot as well cause i manage to pen it in a E5 once with AP (though granted it was sandbox but still...)

20 minutes ago, saru_richard said:

actually isn't that observation port in the frontal hull  weakspot as well cause i manage to pen it in a E5 once with AP (though granted it was sandbox but still...)

its not weakspot

RNG favored you

since Type 5 is 100% flat you need just high pen roll and you can pen it with AP. you need lots of luck, most of time you wont pen with less than 270 pen guns

@zapyoug Meanwhile I'm getting ready to give up on the O-Ni because I'm stuck at like 88% and the tank is giving me cancer though slightly slower than the M103.

2 hours ago, IanSanJR said:

how is ammo rack?

Its pretty bad(cheek shots almost always damage it). Potentially double kit worthy. Engine is also located in lower plate so that gets damaged pretty often.

50 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

@zapyoug If you could pick one stat to buff on the Type 5, what would that be?

Probably accuracy. 282 pen would be fine if I could actually reliably aim at weak points or atleast in said general direction of weak points.

17 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

Either Rate of Fire or accuracy. Probably the former.

rof is fine imo

If i would pick one stat, i would buff penetration; more specifically, the gold penetration. Increased accuracy still makes the tank to struggle alot against E-100, no matter how high accuracy, unless it gets so much accuracy that it can reliably hit police bar (and that would mean atleast grille 15 acc lol). 

The best way to buff it would be imo the gold pen to 300 atleast. It would instantly make the tank lot better.

This tank was made so Maus can look  better. I propose the Tog treatment. 4000 HP. It is a gimmick anyway, one stat would change nothing. If you take armor, dpm, mobility, alpha, gold rounds and gun handling from E 100, and give back more module damage... you get type. So, you basically make the shittiest tank possible, bad in every category.

Maus at least have HP, useable armor ( despite having a worst possible weak spot whenever it tries to return fire) and goldspam that actually works. It is also much more arty resistant.

In addition to 4000 HP I propose retaining the derp gun option, so the noobs can be useful once they grind the line past o ho.

Tiers 6-8 are most noob friendly in the whole game, according to vbaddict...tier 5 was blatantly op, so even the floor was higher...but it was the ceiling that made it so op. I think that having a he spamming line is a good thing for siemkas, at least they would leave he E100s, 76 mm T29s, and derp Patton's alone. Proposed reload for derp at tier 9 - 10 sec, tier 10 8 sec, the same as same tier 120 mm guns.

On 05/07/2016 at 3:17 AM, Animactus said:

Why would you do this to yourself? 

Because hes Zap.

Have you see his other 3 marked tanks? If its terrible hes probably 3 marked it

24 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

Because hes Zap.

Have you see his other 3 marked tanks? If its terrible hes probably 3 marked it

ikr... he also refuses to plat with me when he's doing it..... even when I "promise" to not steal dmgs 

:frenchy:

Clicker and I are clearly too shit to steal damage from zap anyway. Though sometimes I find an account and drive a maus and damage sponge.