Sign in to follow this  
thegeek2

Anyone else ticked off with the GTX 1070 and 1080 supply issues?

Is anyone else having issues acquiring a reasonably priced GTX 1070? The cheapest model I could find was a 400$ model from Gigabyte, still a full $20 over the MSRP, and it and most other non-reference 1070s on Newegg are almost permanently sold out. I don't have the money for a 1080 but from what I've glanced over it's impossible to find one for less than $100 over the MSRP. Hell, some cheeky bastards on Ebay are trying to sell out of stock 1070s for as much as the 1080 MSRP. The lack of supply is rather annoying.

I picked up my 1080 for $750 less than a week after launch. Since then I haven't been able to find one listed for anything close to that. I think the cheapest I found was $790. Granted, I'm buying reference cards (for waterblock reasons), but those should be the most plentiful. Give it a few more weeks and the 1080's should settle down to MSRP. The 1070 is going to be a while longer for a couple reasons:

1. Later release date. They haven't been around for as long.

2. They are the mainstream card, the budget option. The one the vast majority of people are going to buy. Even if they made 3x as many 1070's as 1080's they will still be at a supply deficit for a long time.

I noticed that every time Newegg gets GTX 1080's in stock they sell out withing 5 minutes.  The same goes for B&H Photo.  The GTX 1070 founders edition cards seem to be available, but the other models have the same issue as the GTX 1080's.  When a site gets them in stock and sells them at MSRP, they sell out within minutes.

I think the issue is that Nvidia didn't expect such a high demand right after release.  The GTX 980 ti GPUs weren't being produced for several months before the GXT 1080's release.  

The RX 480 seems to have a similar issue, especially with the 8 GB cards.  Every time a site gets them in stock and sells them for MSRP, they sell out within 30 minutes.  Newegg and B&H photo sold out of their inventory of the RX 480 cards in 30-60 minutes on release day.

1 hour ago, Shackram said:

Meanwhile in brazil, NVidia announced the 1070 for about 725 dollars and the 1080 for about 1120 dollars.

Ouch you might just be better off getting a 980ti then instead.

32 minutes ago, thegeek2 said:

Ouch you might just be better off getting a 980ti then instead.

I'm not looking to replace yet, my GTX680 still works fine for what i play.

Interestingly enough, the 980tis i saw for sale here were a bit more expensive than the 1080. Probably because the dollar was more expensive when they bought the 980 for resale than it is now.

9 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

yep, I saw a 980ti in store today for $800. for reference my 970 cost me $570 last november, a 980 was around 750, and a 980ti was around 1200. 

569 usd, rip. I bought one last week for 410 usd off of Newegg's Ebay store, and it was an EVGA Classy too.

I have twin nuclear reactors 390X in XFire either considering the 1070 or the 490 which was leaked from some listing so idk atm. I feel bad for the people who cant wait though. These 2 cards may heat my house hotter than the sun itself and draw more power than an A/C unit on full blast, but atleast I can run GTA 5 in 1440p with over 120 fps on ultra. :serb:

1070 or 490 it is for me. Xfire will never be a thing i feel.

i honestly think waiting for the 1080ti would be a good idea because it will be (somehow) EVEN MORE POWERFUL and EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE and then people with 1080tis will look down on people with 1080s like the peasants they are. 

25 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

i honestly think waiting for the 1080ti would be a good idea because it will be (somehow) EVEN MORE POWERFUL and EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE and then people with 1080tis will look down on people with 1080s like the peasants they are. 

Until the 1180 is released a months later.

If your computer is still working Id wait 4 weeks for all the other cards to hit shelves. Not to mention that many are speculating an even faster card from AMD, who has a history of price cutting the competition.

2 hours ago, reking_havoc said:

If your computer is still working Id wait 4 weeks for all the other cards to hit shelves. Not to mention that many are speculating an even faster card from AMD, who has a history of price cutting the competition.

AMD has a history of EITHER undercutting Nvidia in price, or beating them in performance. Same with CPU's and Intel. It will never be both if we're basing this on history.

20 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Titan P