Jarkorsis

Fletcher vs Gearing

I have both of these DD's. They play surprisingly differently. My Fletcher is set up with concealment expert and Survivability Expert Situation awareness, last stand, and the skill the that gives you and extra smoke and overdrive. SInce it has 10.5 km torps and a 5.8 view range it is more of a stealth torper and brawler. The guns have a 2.9 second reload. The gun range is around 12 km. You can only reliably invisifire from smoke. My Gearing is an experiment. I took the upgraded range module plus AFT and Demoltion expert. The tier 1,2 and 3 skills are the same between both DD's. This gives my Gearing 15.5 km gun range to go with a 15.6 km torp range and ~3km invisifiring range. These ranges synergize well together, and since most BB's and CA's at T9 and T10 (Even T8 BBs) are huge.you can hit them with your suborbital firing guns and not be seen. You will go dark even if you get a little close in a few seconds because  DD's 5.9  km sighting  bumb from shooting is much shorter than CA and BBs shooting. (CAs and BB's have a 20 second of not firing before you go back to normal view range) I think DD's are in the 3 to 5 second range, but I did not time it. 

SInce I am shooting from 13 kim or so range, I can even dump my torps into large blobs at choke points and then then go dark and reposition myself. This seems to work well, but I have played only a few games setup like this and am still learning the Gearing. I expect to get better at this with another 25 to 30 games under my belt before I decide if this is Gearing setup is worth keeping.

One other thing is that my SIms works well with the Gearing Captain since its gun range is 15.5 with AFT as well. As a plus since it is an old premium, the vision bump is only 3.9 km from firing your guns. so 7.3+3.9=11.2 km view range when using guns. This shit is very profitably and helps me work on my suborbital shooting skills. The torps are nothing like Gearing though, so I work on my torp skills with other DD's.

On 8.7.2016 at 3:58 PM, Jarkorsis said:

DD's 5.9  km sighting  bumb from shooting is much shorter than CA and BBs shooting. (CAs and BB's have a 20 second of not firing before you go back to normal view range) I think DD's are in the 3 to 5 second range, but I did not time it. 

First time I hear this and from experience at least for IJN DDs and US DDs up to T7 it's not true.

It's 20 seconds for everybody.

I would also strongly suggest not using AFT on US destroyers.  I think I'm pretty damn good with those guns, and even I don't want to spend 4 points trying to hit targets at 12km or farther.  If you really just think you should be padding damage against battleships all game then Demo Expert will be a better use for those points, but I personally use Survival Expert on my US DDs.  It helps you dominate enemy destroyers as you should be, gives you a HP cushion against dive bomber attacks, and generally keeps you alive until the late game where destroyers really shine, especially if they still have high remaining health.

All my other US DDs have SE. I am hitting ships at 15.5 reliably with Gearing. I am not sure why my sighting circle was shrinking in 3 to 5 seconds unless I was invisifiring. I will play some games tonight and see.

8 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

I am hitting ships at 15.5 reliably with Gearing.

No offense, but I highly doubt it, unless by "ships" you mean reversing Yamatos that you shouldn't be shooting anyway.

3 hours ago, Mesrith said:

No offense, but I highly doubt it, unless by "ships" you mean reversing Yamatos that you shouldn't be shooting anyway.

I'm encountering a depressingly high number of BBs at high tiers that stop out in the open, and then reverse until sunk.

The problem with the Gearing is that it is mostly a Fletcher with slightly better gun placement (4 guns facing front) and not much else. Concealment is 0.1km worse which does not sound much but often is, torps are agruably also worse bc worse detection for better range (iirc) and the range on the Fletcher ones being sufficient anyways.

So all in all the Gearing simply hasn't got enough over the Fletcher that makes going up to tier X worth the while.

Imho they should make the Gearing much more agile (should imho be the most agile ship in the game) or make the arcs flatter so that it brings something nice.

Back when I got my Gearing, it was more of a sidegrade to Fletcher.  Now that radar exists (and is about to have a lower cooldown) and Torpedo Acceleration exists, Gearings' 13.2km torpedos with a 71 knot speed are excellent.  The torpedoes have the same detection (1.4km) as the upgraded Fletcher torps.  Gearing can spew 157 shells per minute from an efficient turret layout (4 forward + good rear angles), has the same detection radius as Shimakaze (only .1 worse than Fletcher), and has torpedoes that defy radar range and are less of a problem to use against ships that are running away.  It also has 2300 more hitpoints.  Fletcher has a tighter turning radius, 0.5 knots more speed, and gets to beat up on tier 7 ships.

I guess if you fully rigged your Fletcher as a torpedo boat and were using torps on every cooldown then Gearing will feel like a letdown, but if you're good at the jack-of-all-trades nature of US destroyers, I can't see how Gearing isn't a big step up.  I love the ship.

2 hours ago, Mesrith said:

Back when I got my Gearing, it was more of a sidegrade to Fletcher.  Now that radar exists (and is about to have a lower cooldown) and Torpedo Acceleration exists, Gearings' 13.2km torpedos with a 71 knot speed are excellent.  The torpedoes have the same detection (1.4km) as the upgraded Fletcher torps.  Gearing can spew 157 shells per minute from an efficient turret layout (4 forward + good rear angles), has the same detection radius as Shimakaze (only .1 worse than Fletcher), and has torpedoes that defy radar range and are less of a problem to use against ships that are running away.  It also has 2300 more hitpoints.  Fletcher has a tighter turning radius, 0.5 knots more speed, and gets to beat up on tier 7 ships.

I guess if you fully rigged your Fletcher as a torpedo boat and were using torps on every cooldown then Gearing will feel like a letdown, but if you're good at the jack-of-all-trades nature of US destroyers, I can't see how Gearing isn't a big step up.  I love the ship.

One of the advantages to the gearing is that you can make it whatever you want. I am currently a brawler, with 2.6 second reload, SE, DE. (I may replace DE with torp acceleration. Might be a good plan once I buy some more doubloons. With this setup I can 1 v 1 the T9 and T10 USSR DD's with usually 6k or more HP left. Plus I am a pain to most anything in tight passages. I kept the Fletcher as a CE torp boat. I like both of them, but I am a collector and have 70 ships at the moment.

On 7/9/2016 at 1:45 PM, Jarkorsis said:

All my other US DDs have SE. I am hitting ships at 15.5 reliably with Gearing. I am not sure why my sighting circle was shrinking in 3 to 5 seconds unless I was invisifiring. I will play some games tonight and see.

If you are not spotted while firing even with concealment range penalty, the 20 second duration spotting penalty does not apply and your concealment range shrinks back to your normal after ~3 seconds. 

Thought it was about time for a necro revival.

I am worse than Shite at Gearing, just not seeming to get it. Some fair games but atrocious. Yet have set my highest damage on Fletcher with up to 7 kills...

Could really do with some help, will post back with >060 skills soon.

27 minutes ago, 33nfidel said:

I am worse than Shite at Gearing, just not seeming to get it. Some fair games but atrocious. Yet have set my highest damage on Fletcher with up to 7 kills...

The more games I play, the more I think US DDs are the most fun line in the game. Only up to tier 7, but no other class of ships in this game gives me such consistent pleasure and dynamic play. Curious to hear what people reply with. 

Prev Maint, Last Stand, Concealment, BFT, Demo expert with my 13 point captain makes these things beastmode.  

Never bothered with AFT. Playing these things like the OP stated as trying to snipe from 15km away would bore me to tears

Will probably throw on survivability expert and torp acceleration which will take me to 18 points in the future. Or try our RPF perhaps if I want to go full DD hunter. 

1 hour ago, 33nfidel said:

Gearing is, in my opinion, the most versatile and one of the most powerful ships at tier 10.  How you spec your commander will depend on how you choose to play it.  The no-brainer talents are going to be:

Last Stand, Adrenaline Rush

Survivability Expert, Basic Firing Training

Concealment Expert

I use Preventative Maintenance as my only 1-point skill, but Priority Target is ok if you play run-and-gun like a Khabarovsk.  I personally use Torpedo Acceleration in order to get 71 knot torps that still have a 13.2km range, but I've considered dropping TA and Smoke Screen Expert in order to pick up Demolition Expert instead.

44 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

The more games I play, the more I think US DDs are the most fun line in the game. Only up to tier 7, but no other class of ships in this game gives me such consistent pleasure and dynamic play. Curious to hear what people reply with. 

Yeah, if I could only play one ship line, it would be US destroyers.  Aside from my tier 10s I have kept very few non-premium low-tier ships, but I own a Farragut, Benson, and Fletcher.

Thanks guys. I like priority target as it adds to the sixth sense logic a confirmation. Always LS & AR, often superintendent. Def SE, given Mesrith's input it may be time for a change from RPF, but am still finding it a big help.

27 minutes ago, 33nfidel said:

Thanks guys. I like priority target as it adds to the sixth sense logic a confirmation. Always LS & AR, often superintendent. Def SE, given Mesrith's input it may be time for a change from RPF, but am still finding it a big help.

In my opinion, Gearing's traits (low concealment but poor speed) don't combine well with Radio Location.  You're stealthy enough to avoid trouble most of the time so don't really need RL as a defensive measure, and you're not fast enough to chase something down offensively.  I prefer to just pay attention to the map and push into point-blank range before unloading on an enemy destroyer, and tipping them off with Radio Location can be counterproductive.

On 8/28/2016 at 2:10 AM, RollerCoaster47 said:

Sold the Gearing, buying back the Fletcher. Much more enjoyable ship.

did just that last sunday, do not regret, 81 sec torp reload is OP OP

On 8/31/2016 at 4:56 AM, Mesrith said:

the Gearing just felt... fat, it lacks the handling, plus the 2300 hp is nice, but you take so much more dmg from AP, because fat. Its a better gunboat without a doubt, but i feel like the Fletcher is probably the best all-round DD in the game. You get guns, concealment, torps, smoke and its tier 9, which means it has +1/-2 MM plus, its thin and agile.

Gearing always felt like you were trading too much for your extra fire power, (if you want a gunboat, just get a Khaba) especially with the shit 11.1km base range, which is horrible. 12.9km is perfect on Fletcher, long enough to spam the reversing BB's.

I have the Fletcher and will not be buying a Gearing, just the speed difference alone was enough to convince me.

I have both. They play differently. My Fletcher has much longer gun range at 15km. (can get it to 16.1) It is easy to hit CA's and BB's. A lot of them stand still and let me walk my guns to them. 

Gearing is my brawler. So depending on my mood, depends on which I play.

1 hour ago, Jarkorsis said:

I have both. They play differently. My Fletcher has much longer gun range at 15km. (can get it to 16.1) It is easy to hit CA's and BB's. A lot of them stand still and let me walk my guns to them. 

Still, the idea of people doing a gearing build to snipe with those 127s at 15km all game.....  

raw

Love the Fletcher's ability to get in cause havoc distract the enemy from concentrating on strategic targets then gtfo. That torpedo salvo into the island smoke (where spammers feel safe) often gets good results and makes the enemy retreat enough to allow advances into caps. Speed and agility are definitely what set it apart from the Gearing.

I have a mate who runs an AA build on his which make quite an effective division with a BB and an active spotter...

Once my work cycle returns to nominal I'll be out looking to improve on my Gearing, which shouldn't be hard because I'm shit atm.

Would love to TS / discord / Skype and improve...

6 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

AFT is such a waste on these ships.  Spamming healable damage on long-range battleships is the lowest priority thing that you can do.

2 hours ago, Mesrith said:

AFT is such a waste on these ships.  Spamming healable damage on long-range battleships is the lowest priority thing that you can do.

I agree, but even though AFT gives you a decent AA score with BFT, there are so many better choices you can make with that 4 points.

I am an inch awy from ditching the Gearing for good...

I can't make it work. Tier for tier it gains nothing substantial over the Fletcher but the current meta really really punishes slow fat gunboats that excel at close range only and else rely on mid range smoke to do much. You need to play so defensively.

Played 4 games yesterday - 0 wins. Every game at least 3 radar Cruisers on the nemy team and 2 games had CVs. The GEaring sucks hard going against Ru DDs at any but the closest of ranges and even then the Khaba will just melt you. KM DDs are a bit easier but in no way easy. PLUS the buff to Yugumo and Shima means that you do not melt them with minimal damage to your own PLUS you haven't got that much over a Fletcher.

For this you get 2x5 torps that fire in some semi wide spread that leaves gaps large enough for even a Yamato to steer through at 12+km. And the reload is glacial.

So the best bet seems to kit her out as a Torp boat but if I do that, I can take the Fletcher or the Shimakaze and be better off...

Radio Location is a waste on the Gearing and USN DDs in general bc this skill is WAY better for avoiding enemy DDs than for finding them. So I take it on any and all of my IJN Torp boats to very good effect and nowhere else.

Well I don't have aft on my Fletcher. The damage I do is not fire damage. I am working toward IFHE, but don't have the points yet, (I don't have DE either) If you can get 2+ fires on a BB. (600+ damage a tic) It may be healable, but that is 2 to 3 damage control parties and that is what 5-6 minutes. The BB will be dead long before then and if you are still shooting at him, that reduces the heal effect. I get that kind of damage with my Udaloi and Kharb, not my US DD's.