Sign in to follow this  
SchnitzelTruck

9.15.1 Armor Changes

As @TheMostComfortableTanker is too busy with IRL stuff and I love staring at armor models, I have decided to take over his usual hobby of explaining HD armor changes. I tend to be terrible at explaining things so if you would rather have me add a few screenshots showing some of the changes I can do that.

First, the tiers we all give a shit about, starting from tier10 and working down.

T57:

Too many changes to list, here's a screenshot.

Spoiler

ZVT8acc.png

>>>>>>>BEAK ARMOR IS A TYPO!!!!!!<<<<<<

Should be 250-350, though it does reach 450 near the edges.

FV215b183:

Side armor was buffed from 50 to 51mm, which means Russian 152mm's will no longer overmatch.

6mm spaced armor cover on the upper side of the hull was removed

Turret shape reworked, now has a weak roof like the other recent British HD turrets. Here's a screenshot.

Spoiler

CUPctMF.png

Maus:

Lower plate buffed from 37 degrees to 40 degrees. About a 10mm effective buff. Cant see any other changes.

GW E100:

Crew canopy became significantly lower profile. I'd say they cut a good 1/4 of the top off.

Lower plate angle buffed to 60 degrees, was 50

113:

Turret became noticeably smaller.

Frontal turret thickness buffed from 240 to 290. Making the weakest point on the cheeks ~300mm effective instead of ~250mm.

Hatch size slightly reduced. Thickness nerfed by 20mm. Angles buffed to give better effective thickness. Left hatch used to be mostly ~190 effective, now is mostly ~200-230 effective. Right hatch is the same as before (~190-210) however much harder to hit.

Lower plate buffed from 100mm to 120mm. effective thickness is now 160mm instead of 130.

Upper side armor (above spaced armor) buffed from 90mm to 120mm.

Spaced sideskirt unchanged, still doesnt have angled armor underneath it, just a flat block of 90mm. Sorry bois, your 113 still doesn't have magic is3 side armor like the visual model would suggest.

Spaced armor sideskirt now wraps around to the front just like an IS-3/IS-7 etc, and has a 200mm plate beneath it. Kinda hard to explain... here's an image.

Spoiler

L5raXJb.png

121:

Turret became lower profile, effective thicknesses seem to be very close to unchanged.

Hatches became smaller and better angled. Hatches are now 235 at the very center, going to 245, then to 270+. Used to be 200mm at center.

Lower plate became smaller

Entire deck is now 15mm. Used to be 30mm front half, 15mm back half.

M103:

Too many changes to list, here's a screenshot. Mega buff

Spoiler

9D9N7qL.png

Tortoise:

172mm armor zone at the top of the lower plate was removed, so now it's 229mm with the rest of the lower plate. Area where 172mm zone removed was buffed from ~200 effective to ~250mm. 

Lower plate is more rounded than before. Center is still ~230 effective, but it instantly becomes ~270 moving down from from the center instead of ~245.

Now has track links on both sides of the superstructure, giving areas 172mm base thickness instead of 152mm.

A few other minor changes that arent worth listing.

E75:

Turret became overall slightly smaller. Lower profile and not as wide.

20mm track links added to turret, giving areas of 180mm base thickness instead of 160.

5mm spaced sideskirt added just like the e50m's

Hatch collision model is now in-line with the visual model. Ricochet at the very top instead of a flat cylinder like in the SD model. Hatch itself was reduced in height making it harder to hit.

Looks like a sexy up-gunned e50m now, nice n shiny. Plus points for Box tank sex appeal.

Waffle pz4:

Uhhhh... its still butter, SURPRISE!

10mm tracklink added to lower plate and middle stepped plate

GW Tiger P:

Stabilizer on the rear that was spaced armor is no longer spaced.

RHM Borsig Waffle:

It's rear was buffed from 5mm to 20mm. WOOT!

T-34-1:

Hatches slightly smaller.

SU-100M1:

15mm track link added to upper plate, buffing effective thickness from 135mm to 155mm

130mm beak armor zone removed.

Angled sides of superstructure were nerfed from 90mm zones to 75mm zones. Were 190 effective, now are 160

Shoulders of upper plate were nerfed from 90mm zones to 75mm zones. They are still ricochet angle from frontal attacks though.

Lower plate angle buffed from 57 degrees to 60 degrees. Was ~150 effective, now is 155.

The gun mantlet is a total clusterfuck now in terms of armor values. Overall a buff though.

FV304:

Its a fat bastard now

Rest of the tier6's and below:

Zero changes worth mentioning, apart from the hetzer losing some 20mm weakpoints near the front wheels.

113 is probably going to be absolutely amazing. Imagine how just over half year ago it was one of the worst tier 10s, and now its probably going to be closer to other end. Cant say exactly, we need to wait and see, but so far performed absolutely amazingly on test server.

2 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

I felt that the 113 was already good enough. Now it's going to be godlike like the e5

This will make a huge difference in WGL. 113 was already over-played compared to most tanks, but the problem was that the armor was genuinely awful. Now the tank is going to be an over-played beast and 90% of games are going to have a 113 in it.

Just now, Masterpupil2 said:

This will make a huge difference in WGL. 113 was already over-played compared to most tanks, but the problem was that the armor was genuinely awful. Now the tank is going to be an over-played beast and 90% of games are going to have a 113 in it.

RIP anyone who runs a e5 kek

1 minute ago, Fulcrous said:

RIP anyone who runs a e5 kek

Even people like me who mostly main the FV are going to have problems penning it frontally now.

Good thing I am also the main heavy tank player on eClipse too kek, so I'll have a lot of time in this monster.

For pub battles, I don't want people to get too excited about the 113 buffs. A stronger turret is a nice thing, but not something that is regularly going to make an impact in your battles. Especially on a tank with only -5, the difference between ~250 and ~300 turret armor is not all that important. It's quite rare to get your turret penned in pub battles as it is, going from getting the turret face penned once every six games to once every nine is not going to turn the tank into some kind of superheavy.

Outside of the turret you aren't really getting anything. The side armor that's getting buffed is like four pixels tall. The LFP is at least something, but you're only really gaining effective thickness against the super rare 175 pen guns, and even then only if you keep yourself angled. It's not going to protect you against any T10, any T9, any T8 heavy, or any TD.

2 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

For pub battles, I don't want people to get too excited about the 113 buffs. A stronger turret is a nice thing, but not something that is regularly going to make an impact in your battles. Especially on a tank with only -5, the difference between ~250 and ~300 turret armor is not all that important. It's quite rare to get your turret penned in pub battles as it is, going from getting the turret face penned once every six games to once every nine is not going to turn the tank into some kind of superheavy.

Outside of the turret you aren't really getting anything. The side armor that's getting buffed is like four pixels tall. The LFP is at least something, but you're only really gaining effective thickness against 175 pen guns, and even then only if you keep yourself angled. Against everyone else it's useless and not even going to protect you from a T8 heavy lowrolling with AP.

I thought that the lower side armor (area between tracks and spaced armor) also became 120 now? Atleast it felt like that since i bounced lot more on test server when sidescraping.

I approve.  I did have a draft done, so I'll copy some stuff over since I did too much for me to just toss it all out.

T-34-1

•Hull floor above tracks is 45mm (+25mm)
•Stock turret mantlet is 90mm (-30mm)

•Boobs on turret rear no longer decrease thickness
•Mantlet sloped areas are 120mm (-30mm and -50mm)
•Mantlet flat areas 170mm (+20mm)
•Turret hatches appear smaller
•Turret side 150mm and 120mm zones extend slightly further back

Verdict: Top turret is slightly better, stock turret is slightly worse.  Stock turret still has a tiny 0 armor hole, so it's really just 90mm+75mm now instead of 120mm+75mm.  Decreased thickness on the top turret mantlet changes nothing in reality and the smaller cupolas are more important.

Pz.Kpfw. III

•Hull MG is 50mm (+20mm)
•UFP is 20mm spaced + 50mm (was 70mm)
•Front middle plate is 25mm (+15mm)
•Hull/turret roof is 16/10 (+1mm/-5mm)
•Rearmost part of engine deck is 30mm (+15mm)

•Stock turret cupola is 90mm (+40mm)
•Turret side hatches no longer weakspots

•Top turret front is 30mm (-27mm)
•Top turret mantlet area is 20mm spaced + 30mm spaced + 30mm turret (was 20mm spaced + 50mm spaced)
•Cupola is 90mm (+40mm)
•Turret side hatches no longer weakspots

Verdict: Spaced armor rules are too confusing for a verdict, though the cupola buff is rather nice if you're top tier.

M8A1

•All of UFP is 29mm now (was 44mm on lower half, 25mm on hatches)
•LFP is now 64mm (was 44mm)
•29mm side hull extends slightly further back
•Raised area on engine deck is now 13mm (was 25mm)

•Turret ring is smaller and 29mm now (was 25mm)
•Mantlet front is now almost entirely 38mm (was 25mm edges)
•0 armor whole behind top turret mantlet is larger

Verdict: It never really relied much on armor in the first place, but it will likely feel a little more weak now.

Addendum zone:

E-75:

•Hatch on top turret's rear is no longer a weakspot (+60mm)

Hetzer:

•LFP angle buffed to 40° (+5°)
•Driver vision slit weakpoint removed

Everything else was covered in the OP or had very little change.  The missing 20mm areas on the hetzer's front means I can't kill them in my Valentine II or Pz II J anymore either

37 minutes ago, TheMostComfortableTanker said:

I approve.  I did have a draft done, so I'll copy some stuff over since I did too much for me to just toss it all out.

You will always be better than me at this D: 

I just kinda kept it to changes that actually might make a difference and ignored the small stuff.

5 hours ago, SchnitzelTruck said:

You will always be better than me at this D: 

I just kinda kept it to changes that actually might make a difference and ignored the small stuff.

Awe shucks, at least there's some tank thing I'm good at I guess.

I've been trying to work more towards ignoring the tiny changes, but I still want to let the curious people know what all has changed at the same time.  I should probably start using more images next time.

I have been really on the fence about getting the T57 Heavy back, but based on the armor buff and HD sexiness, would you guys say it would be worth it to give it another spin. It was my second tier ten and I sold it post-nerf, maybe with corridor meta will make it useful?

49 minutes ago, Joyrider216 said:

I have been really on the fence about getting the T57 Heavy back, but based on the armor buff and HD sexiness, would you guys say it would be worth it to give it another spin. It was my second tier ten and I sold it post-nerf, maybe with corridor meta will make it useful?

Based on my test server experience it has a decent chunk more survivability. The gun is still a total pain in the ass, but at least it isn't autopenned by everything. I might rebuy it as now it's lack of mobility compared to the 50b is somewhat justified.