WIKD

Question on game play and lemming trains

The last couple of weeks I seem to be on a losing streak and the one thing I have noticed, that has been a common theme, is tank placement. I can't say it's really a lemming train, as not everyone goes together, but it is what I would believe to be bad tactics or bad strategy. For a simple example I'll use Lakeville. Match starts and 7 tanks go valley and 5 try to make their way down the lake road. That leaves me, a TD and an Arty sitting at base. This has happened so often lately that I have had the chance to go valley, take the tail of the lake road, talk a tank into helping me cover the far end of the city for when they have passed through. And I still haven't found the right strategy to deal with this and haven't won a game where the city was completely ignored. And I have run into this concept on multiple maps the last 2-3 weeks. I'm just looking for a way to make the most amount of difference that may help win this type of game. The first couple times I followed the most experienced players but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Usually I try to make sure the train doesn't get stalled out on a couple of enemies and then be ready to reset my cap if needed. In that scenario I would probably work the middle road or maybe push them through the valley depending on tank comps. Just sitting at base would be a bad idea, and going city alone wouldn't be much better. Bad streaks happen, just don't be part of the reason your side lost and it will get better eventually. Looks like your wn8 is improving, keep up the good work.

Lemming trains happen and they are annoying. Generally you just have to go with them and try to keep them moving keeping an eye on the minimap so you know when to turn back and defend the cap.

As for the specific case on Lakeville it's hard to say but I would probably turn into the valley and try tipo get up front and push through. Though honestly Lakeville is just one of those maps I suck at. Though you should never go to any flank alone without allies support. Unfortunately allies can be really annoying at times and just not be helpful. You can leverage them as best as possible but sometimes they are more useful dead than alive.

Learn to farm the damages matey. Even in the most hopeless games there is damage to be had. Take all the damage that you can, and a little more for good measure.

It depends on your tank.  If I'm playing a fast tank, I'll abandon the lost flank and join the train.  If not, I'll move to a position where I can defend the cap and farm damage.  I had several games over the weekend that played out like that and it usually worked out well. 

The advice you are getting above is certainly best.

By coincidence, I had one of these games on Lakeville this moring. 2 tanks did go town, and I decided to take my chances and make it 3. Badly outnumbered, we managed to delay them in town long enough that the valley push worked. Very lucky. Now the guys who pushed valley will think that they are tactical geniuses.

15 hours ago, WIKD said:

For a simple example I'll use Lakeville. Match starts and 7 tanks go valley and 5 try to make their way down the lake road. 

Sigh . . .  you're probably hosed either way if this happens.

On Lakeville, if you only see a couple of tanks going to town - don't follow them.  They are going to die.  Your best bet is to camp at the end of the ridge near cap and shoot up the enemy as they try to advance from the town.  I had an awesome game in my AT15 doing this the other day. 

Lakeville itself is tough, because the valley sucks so much. I usually stick with the lemming train and clear that flank off as soon as I can. Once that flank is cleared you are free to turn around and deal with the empty flank.

Thanks everyone. Seems like 'm trying the right tactics, and I'm definitely getting damage, i just have to wait for this to happen with a slightly stronger team and maybe we'll win. 

12 hours ago, lt_lolcat said:

On Lakeville, if you only see a couple of tanks going to town - don't follow them.  They are going to die.  Your best bet is to camp at the end of the ridge near cap and shoot up the enemy as they try to advance from the town.  I had an awesome game in my AT15 doing this the other day. 

That works great in the north but honestly it isnt nearly as good form the south. The approach in the south is lower and the ground gets lower on the  backside of the cap but it isnt enough of a ridge to use as a ridgeline so you might get a shot or two but you have to be basically in the open to hit them (you can get more from behind the house but that has its own problems).

On 11/7/2016 at 7:14 AM, Inciatus said:

Lemming trains happen and they are annoying. Generally you just have to go with them and try to keep them moving keeping an eye on the minimap so you know when to turn back and defend the cap.

...Or go opposite of the lemming train and just play passive. Normally that means you are guaranteed atleast a few tanks to chew on! 

12 hours ago, PantyHero said:

...Or go opposite of the lemming train and just play passive. Normally that means you are guaranteed atleast a few tanks to chew on! 

No, that means a few tanks can chew on you alone. This answer is flat wrong. 

35 minutes ago, BoilerBandsman said:

Yeah, every time I try doing that I get about two shots off before getting zerged by 5 tanks and dying.  It's not worth it.  You either lead the train or become the caboose where you can spot the cap and still get support. 

11 hours ago, BoilerBandsman said:

It might for you - I do it all the time and it works wonders. I'm not telling you to go and yolo right into them, hence the word "passive". Just because something doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it wont work for others.

10 hours ago, PantyHero said:

It might for you - I do it all the time and it works wonders. I'm not telling you to go and yolo right into them, hence the word "passive". Just because something doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it wont work for others.

Worked well for me. Some maps have wide-open cap zones and strong defensive positions behind them, so you can trade well against multiple tanks. It's particularly effective in the mid tiers, because the DPM to HP ratios allow you to quickly murder any tank that crosses an open space, and the players are often dumb enough to attack one at a time.

Just now, RichardNixon said:

Worked well for me. Some maps have wide-open cap zones and strong defensive positions behind them, so you can trade well against multiple tanks. It's particularly effective in the mid tiers, because the DPM to HP ratios allow you to quickly murder any tank that crosses an open space, and the players are often dumb enough to attack one at a time.

Sitting behind cap on the lemming train side is different than going opposite the lemming train and passively waiting to be overwhelmed. The south side of Steppes is a good example. Covering cap from the ridge east/west of cap if your team lemmings east/west is good play. Playing the west ridge if they lemming east or vice versa is an invitation to be overwhelmed. It might happen later, but it still results in ineffectiveness. 

Your best bet is almost always to make sure the lemming train doesn't get stuck at the initial meeting engagement, then go back to cap once the train has started rolling the initial engagement point. 

A lot of good information everyone, thanks.

Conducting the train is good and certainly helps.  My issue with conducting the lemming train is I will also draw too much aggression, do alot of dmg still, but die all the same. Then the game and its outcome is left to those who remain...

Lemming train matches I've observed from the grave demonstrate I'm more valuable supporting the train while staying alive (because I have skill to do so) in order to be present for the end game.

Granted, support frequently means positioning to enable a crossfire which also could mean positional risk taking or playing slightly passive..

I don't get so frustrated with trains as much as I used to. Improve your knowledge of each map's unique terrain to cope with lemming trains.

Absolutely agree with above.  Just go with and try to maximize damage while keeping an eye on the map (and direct traffic back to spawn hopefully if needed).  Before learning more about the game, I'd try to defend the weak side by myself or greatly outnumbered and all that leads to is a very fast death.