Sign in to follow this  
Assassin7

how do you set up your STB?

been having a bit of an... argument in clan slack.

someone asked what equipment to put on the STB, I said Rammer/vents/Vstab immediately. then Eural said right after rammer/vstab/optics. 

and im like "wtf" 

Eural has admittedly, 3 marked it, while I haven't. but we got into a bit of a heated discussion over why you would use optics over vents or vents over optics. I am personally of the opinion that vents is better for how the tank works, especially in this meta. 

I haven't actually been given a reason for optics, except that Eural 3 marked it with optics. (so he must be doing something right) but I dunno. EDIT: Eurals response was he likes being able to see his enemies and 480 VR is strong af and it lets you spot enemies that dont expect to get lit. (direct quotes)

this is my STB setup: 

R7waBP0.jpg

I get 456 VR with vents+food+BIA+60% SA. 

but, what do you run it with, and why, and if its something other than Rammer/Vstab/Vents why are you running it like that? 

Fork (SEAite) was a leading e50 on the server using a GLD instead of a vstab... sometimes being flipping good is worth more than the min maxing you can do with crews/equipment.

I run with Wet Ammo Rack, Medium Spall Liner, and CO2 tanks because I'm retarded. :drunk: (apparently the tomato seal is gone)

Though really I run Vstab, rammer, and vents. I would run optics but I don't want to spend the 10 gold or the 500000 credits for more optics. I don't run food so the difference there is quite a bit over the vents and there are a lot of places you can still get pretty far away spots or spotting damage. The 5% would only make a fairly small difference in the handling anyway vs the extra spotting. Also in terms of marks, it does help to get more spotting damage. While the meta is currently corridorry there are still a lot of places where having vision matters even on closed maps like Kharkov, Stalingrad, and Himmelsderp especially in the late game of the very start before everyone is sitting in their assigned corridors.

I used to run optics but now It's more of vents, more corridor maps mean more dpm is needed rather than vision, sad yes, I know. The STB also excels more in medium range engagements now where you can promptly go hull down and destroy the enemy, vision atm kind of died out. Optics is probably for the scouts and leo1,batchat, etc.

pyiTFbu.jpg

If you're worried about vr, drop camo on your commander, train 100% situational and start training recon. Dropping vents for optics on the stb I think is really bad. Other tier 10 meds I would say up to you, not much difference. But the stb gains so much I think from vents. I 3 marked mine with your set-up and a 460m vr 

25 minutes ago, bolagnaise said:

Having only ever played STB for WGL with complete skill crews, I'm using optics, GLD and stab+ food in it, would this work in Randoms? Or I am best sticking to the norm.

The advantage if the STB over other mediums is the insane dpm. Not running a rammer negates that advantage in a lot of situations. In WGL I ran rammer, stabs, and the optics/vents depending on my role (if I needed to spot I'd run optics, if I knew it would be brawling vents).

For pubs vents are better in my opinion, seeing as how the game has moved more towards brawling and peeking close corners. Optics are not a bad choice, but with vents, food, and a good crew you easily get 470-480 view range. Which is enough for spotting in pubs.

55 minutes ago, Va1heru said:

If you're worried about vr, drop camo on your commander, train 100% situational and start training recon. Dropping vents for optics on the stb I think is really bad. Other tier 10 meds I would say up to you, not much difference. But the stb gains so much I think from vents. I 3 marked mine with your set-up and a 460m vr 

I run Rammer, Vents, VStab, Onigiri, Situational Awareness, Recon, and Brothers-in-Arms, so I think with the viewrange capped at 445m swapping optics for anything is overkill.

1 hour ago, ieatcookies said:

I run Rammer, Vents, VStab, Onigiri, Situational Awareness, Recon, and Brothers-in-Arms, so I think with the viewrange capped at 445m swapping optics for anything is overkill.

Penetrating bushes (innuendo not intended) and tank camo is really really useful so having atleast 460 is kinda needed. Anything beyond that is kind of a meme. Kolni was telling me about 100% vr crew skill and optics with food on the M48 500+m VR. If there was a tank at 445m you wouldn't no spot it.

True, but you end up with diminishing returns. When I came back to the game running food and optics on my snipers (Tier 10 4202, Leopard 1, and AMX-30B) all had 4+skill crews and just under 500m view range. In theory I should have been burning through enough camo to melt the paint on the tanks I spotted, but in practicality it wasn't enough to make a noticeable difference in day-to-day gameplay. I think I'm running around with 450ish m at the moment on those, and I think the STB is just under that.

2 minutes ago, ieatcookies said:

True, but you end up with diminishing returns. When I came back to the game running food and optics on my snipers (Tier 10 4202, Leopard 1, and AMX-30B) all had 4+skill crews and just under 500m view range. In theory I should have been burning through enough camo to melt the paint on the tanks I spotted, but in practicality it wasn't enough to make a noticeable difference in day-to-day gameplay. I think I'm running around with 450ish m at the moment on those, and I think the STB is just under that.

My dude I was agreeing with you, I was just pointing out why some people run optics. Personally, and I'm not sure about the other servers, but the meta on SEA is so goddamn aggressive and fast that optics only benefits you on maps like prok and maybe steppes so vents is far more useful for me. Watching EU streamers and then playing SEA and there's such a disparity in how battles are fought and won, the most common pubbie approach is just a hard push with a blob of forces into a specific chokepoint, optics may spot the push 10s earlier but after that it's just a 100m brawl til a team loses. Shit even prok is turning into that. I've been having 4 minute prok losses because the whole enemy team hard pushes the forest and my team is stuck diddling their fingers on the hill, I can usually farm 4k on a loss like that but its very frustrating.

1 minute ago, ieatcookies said:

I know, just openly lamenting about the death of vision and my uber-buffed vision tanks. :feelsbad:

I'd argue you're playing the wrong areas and longer lines then 445m in that case. 500VR will let you spot any moving heavy at max VR and some TDs. Very few people run camo on heavies so that's where they're the most useful. Meds and lights will always be able to get closer but that is just not possible to avoid. The important part is to remember how slaughtered you got when people were playing the vision game against you back in the days. That still happens on a few maps so I'd rather be on giving end of that treatment, even if meta and new maps are corridors most meds have the gun handling to hit everything anyway. The STB is a rare exception because the gun handling is all that matters on it. The DPM is so good that making your shots count will be more deciding than area/vision control considering it takes about a minute of firing to have a decent game. It's also by far the most passive medium for me and the reason I see Eural running optics on it is the same as to why he like the 113 so much even back before buffs; he's a strange man :tanfiesta: 

4e85b593b0c8fa9396f8ee0d69c53f1c.jpg

Here's my set up. I don't really run optics on anything anymore as crew skills + food gives you minimum 460 VR anyway. Plus for the stb, you need vents for ebola gunhandling.

Admittedly, I just only recently acquired and started playing the STB-1

I got vents, vert stabs and gun rammer on mine

VR at 428. Need to reset the crew w/ BIA sometime soon to improve that, as well as helping with the gun handling that can be quite...flustering to put it lightly, compared to my only other tier 10 MT, the glorious Centurion AX (which I adore)

18 hours ago, Ezz said:

Fork (SEAite) was a leading e50 on the server using a GLD instead of a vstab... sometimes being flipping good is worth more than the min maxing you can do with crews/equipment.

It's a difficult concept for some, but you don't need modules, food or maxed crews to be purple.