cpraf104

General advice on turretless tank destroyers

Question

TDs are my least favorite non-arty class, I hate to play them and I hate to play against them. Now that I need to play them again for personal missions, I'm finding that strictly limiting my options to turreted TDs is unwise. So I'm going to try and start playing turretless TDs again, something which I abhor due to the inflexibility and clumsiness that comes with not having a turret.

Any advice? If a specific vehicle would help in giving advice, basically the only relevant TD I have right now is the ISU-152. I'm sure that doing 4k damage for the TD-15 for the T28 is not that difficult in an ISU (that's like 6 shots?), but still.

HALP PLEASE

3 answers to this question

Well first off for playing them; range is your friend. Working corners is incredibly difficult and is only effective against bad players. If you can play long sightlines, you should. If you do get stuck playing corners, be very cautious about exposing your drive wheel and if you are on hilly terrain, try to use the hills to cover the lower area of your tank.

Now for playing against them, something I am much more familiar with, I can give a few more tips (in no particular order, they are also worth taking note of when playing them)

-fast turretless TDs: post phisics patch, fast tank destroyers will slide momentarily after stopping from full speed so they often have to take a moment to re adjust and re aim even after attempting to stop in front of you. Should one try to rush you around a corner, try to take the inside of the corner and push into them. If you get on their side, pushing them forwards will hinder their movement and render them helpless. (alternatively this might just give you the chance to get behind them without being shot)

-slow fat TDs at close range: If you dont know already for some reason, it is very possible to peek around a corner very slightly and shoot the edges of many tank destroyers without them being able to shoot back. 

-general note: TDs dont get vstabs and their on the move dispersion is generally ass. If one starts pushing up on you from say 150+ meters and you are in cover, you can get a decently safe quick poke on them before they can stop again to aim at you (it also slows down their advance a ton)

-another general note:TD comes around a corner at you, shoot drive wheel. Shoot the drive wheel, just do it. Regarding what I just said though and this is sightly out of place but if you are playing a TD, you can just use the A and D keys to force your tank to turn against a wall to hide your drive wheel when cornering 

Sorry for the somewhat subpar formatting and grammar but the hopefully the advice is useful to some extent. :ohnyes: 

Which turreted TD's are you using? I dont know about you but I found missions pretty easy playing the T30.

2 hours ago, Zepherex said:

Which turreted TD's are you using? I dont know about you but I found missions pretty easy playing the T30.

That was my exact thought, to go up to the T30. Half-way through the T25/2. Hellcat was a breeze. T25/2 is boring as shit and anemic. And no way I'm doing 4k damage in that thing.