_Juris

M5 Stuart - WHY RNGJESUS WHY?

Just revisited this tank on another account after many years away, and holy SHIT is it bad now.  Maybe the mini-derp needed to be nerfed a bit, but the gun "options" on this tank are now complete fucking trash.  Unless you can get pure side or rear shots, even tier 5 mediums can bounce your rounds with ease.  Seriously, this thing needs a slightly better gun.  The Chinese Stuart is so much better it's insane.  As a reminder for those who haven't looked it up, the Chinese Stuart gets 81mm AP standard on the top gun - which is more penetration that the US Stuart gets with its premium rounds.

It's 2016, Wargaming.  The vision/passive spotting meta is deader than dead - you know this, you killed it.  A tank that quite literally cannot successfully engage any of the opponents it will meet frontally (and in a reasonable number of cases, the side as well) even by firing at their weak spots is in need of some assistance.

It's even worse than I initially thought, after looking at the tanks.gg models for some of the tier 7 heavies that this thing will meet.  For example, with AP it quite literally cannot penetrate a Tiger I from any angle, except by getting lucky and shooting one of the tiny 50mm armor holes on the mantlet - and good luck with that.  Even with APCR against completely flat Tiger I armor, you have no better than a 40% chance to penetrate.  Same deal with the IS.  Simply put, there's no excuse for making a tank fight other tanks that it quite literally CANNOT penetrate.

How to play M5 Stuart

- buy gold

- convert into free XP

- ?????

- profit

Its utter fucking shit, when the bulldog/T49 patch came i was still grinding it and after 2 games i just free XP:d rest of it. The gun is utter trash; M5 Stuart with gold was unable to pen my T-34/100 even without angling lol. Seriously its one of the very worst tanks in the game now, honestly only worse tanks i think off is Type 95 (even post-buff its by far worst tank in the game) and maybe Pz III K (which seems utter super dogshit aswell with 0 positive points).

10 minutes ago, breeeze said:

Do not touch this tank. Ever. This is the prime example of WG's braindead balancing departments hiding their bullshit behind supposed "historical accuracy".

Yeah, I agreed to help a friend grind through it to get the Chaffee and M7, but i'm seriously regretting that.  This tank has literally no way to influence the battle on its own.  If your allies start winning, you might be able to slip through enemy lines and get some rear shots.  However, you have zero ability to make this happen yourself - it's the ultimate team-dependent tank.

I'm so sad i started playing far too late so play with the mini derp. instead i got stuck firing 5 shot clips at stuff, having 3 hit, and none pen. I'd normally try and say something redeeming about this tank, but even its speed is subpar for a scout, and its vr isn't great anyway (i think) so there is nothing making this turd anything other than utter garbage. the only reason i didn't free xp is because i didn't have the free xp spare at the time.

I remember my win rate falling off a cliff on this thing when the derp gun was taken away (62% to 54% before selling it). Spotting only goes so far, and those popguns are weak against even enemy scouts - forget about trying to take down a crippled heavy a few tiers up. The guns on the export models are ridiculously superior (Chinese and UK M3). 

I totally agree , the gun selections are a joke - the Chinese M5A1 ( a fast and delightful scout ,that I loved playing ) is soo much better

I am astonished how BAD the tank's guns are - the autoloader ( I had the horror to discover ) cant be shut off once you fire - and you waste you shells

and you have to fire APCR just to hurt tanks , with the stock gun .

I hate this tank and I still have nightmares from it and I haven't played it in like 2 years. I got a mastery badge for it and I did like less than 200 damage, I used it's joke of a gun to detrack enemy's and did what spotting damage I could and I some how managed to reset the cap against a KV but it took nearly all my gold rounds to do

I have unlocked the Chaffee and M7 , and have got the M5 crew on advanced training ( and I had a decent crew before I played it )

overall , unless you get an open map , this tank can't carry games very easily ( unlike M5A1 ) - as the problem is that the gun is accurate , its the lack of penetration

->  the thing I keep hearing over and over in games ( and I'm firing gold ) " we didn't penetrate their armour " - and that gets tiring really quick - despite my best efforts

also even its speed is subpar for a scout - the Chinese M5A1 seemed much faster and agile .

I think it had the top engine removed in the same patch that added the M41/T49.  Because it used to be faster than the Chinese M5A1.

On October 24, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Archaic_One said:

It was recently voted the overwhelming worst tank in the game by wotlabs members, true story.

Not surprised.  Before the patch it was probably the best tier 4 for scouting by far.  After the patch it can't even do that.  Seriously, who looks at one of the worst-performing tier 4s and says "hey, this needs a massive nerf"?  There's a reason I sold it after over 700 games in it, with a 3 skill crew, the moment they changed it.  When you can't pen 3/4 the tanks you face, with flat shots to the rear with gold, there's a big fucking problem.  

Actually ran into an issue with that on the test server for that patch, had an AFK tiger that I ran out of ammo trying to kill from behind.  Did maybe 5 pens.

Its literally incapable of getting a win if any number of tanks are on the enemy team, because it has a gun that would be shit on even a tier 3.  And to think that it used to be my favorite tank in the game.

The only derp gun I have ever driven,.... sometimes I felt bad using such a power full gun ...when I was top tier... but than I found me another 3 tier 6 kv1s tanks in platoon with 390 alpha damage and I would think.. hmm Im not so OP now.

Yeah.. I sure had my fun in that little m5 :dealdog: