lavawing

T-44-100: the Attack of the Clone

76 posts in this topic

So after the Panther 8.8, T-34-3, Mutz, Patton Kr, STA-2, the IS-3a and probably a few tanks that were too bland to remember, WG in its infinite wisdom has given RU players and ASIA servers a chance to get yet another clone - yes - the T-44-100.

XELNHT0.jpg

What is this tank, you ask? It is nothing more than a T-44 with a gimped engine. Add smexy side skirts and you have a brand new Premium tank. Why WG called it 44-100 when the existing T-44 already mounts the same gun is something that must only be known between Serb and RNGesus. At this point, however, any crew trainer that isnt the Matilda IV is a relief to me.

Best of all? The tank is free. You don't have to pay a single cent to WG and you can still redeem this alluring Soviet wedge.

The caveat of course is that, at least in the world of red SEAtards, you have to grind 150 kills and 150,000 damage for each line, in 28 days. After 2 weeks of nonstop playing and no-lifing and tilting my way to Red WN8 levels of baddery (this is not an exaggeration), I have thus earned my sweet new waifu tank. Voila.

After about 20 games, I've got a feel for how this thing works. I have kitted it out with

1. vertstab

2. rammer

3. vents

I opted out of optics thinking I was in a brawling med like the Karkov mediums. This proved to be a mistake as the T-44-100 seems to be often forced into the role of a spotter when bottom tier. The other reason, of course, is that I'm too cheap to use optics. I will poast my experience with optics later.

I do want to note that I've never played the T-44, and my experience in the glorious Soviet wedges is limited to the 430, so your mileage may vary. This is my review of this piece of Proleteriat-forged steel.

Gun:

DPM: 1,931.22

Damage: 250

Penetration (mm): 183

Reload Time (sec): 7.77

Rate of Fire (rnds/min): 7.72

Aim Time (sec): 2.11

Dispersion (m): 0.34

Bloom on moving: 0.20

Bloom on tank traverse: 0.20

Bloom on turret traverse: 0.13

Shell Velocity (m/sec): 880

The gun is the same as in the T-44. By the way LB stands for Lavrenty Beria, who was incidentally Stalin's right hand man and the executioner (of his will obviously). The aimtime and the bloom are both improved compared to the vanilla T-44, meaning that the gun's soft stats are rather impressive for a tier 8 medium, and the accuracy is also rather impressive for a Russian gun. The DPM is middle of the pack. 

Sadly, the penetration even after the buff to 183mm remains, to say the least, severely underwhelming, The APCR pen at 235 is also nothing to boast about, and stuff like the front of IS-3s will still give you trouble. It goes without saying that the gun is not the reason you play the T-44 or the 44-100.

Armor:

Hull Armour: 90 / 75 / 45

Turret Armour (f/s/r mm):120 / 100 / 100

The armor is the same as in the T-44 save for the addition of the handsome 6mm-thick side tracks. I am honestly a little taken aback that they didnt go ahead and give it 30mms of spaced side armor because that is what they give Russian tanks but it's better than nothing. The front of the tank is about 150mm effective and will bounce the ubiquitous 122mms occasionally. The turret is well angled but the cheeks are weakspots at 120mm. As you might expect, the tank's best protection is by maximising camo and minimising exposure, both of which the T-44-100 is rather good at.

Having said that, once forced into brawls and/or raw DPM fights, your 1350 HP pool will melt quickly while your driver gets obliterated, your ammorack damaged and your engine set on fire at least twice. This is where the 6mms of spaced side armour comes in. Placed at near autobounce angles, those skirts will help you tank low rounds that you normally have no right of tanking. Moreover, 75mms of side armour is still rather good for a medium at this tier, bested only by the FCM 50t, so sidescraping will sometimes save your ass even if you can;t exactly count on it.

Mobility

Forward Speed (km/h): 52

Reverse Speed (km/h): 20

Power/Weight (hp/t): 15.65

Tank Traverse (°/sec): 51

Terrain Resistance 
… hard: 0.48
… medium: 0.58
… soft: 1.44

15.65 HP/T is bad. There's no two ways about it. For a tank that's supposed to be a flanker this falls awfully short.

Despair not. The mobility is salvaged by Hovercraft Inc terrain resistances which push the tank to one of the best in tiers excepting the real T-44, the CDC and the Mutz. The traverse is almost blisteringly fast and will allow you to outmanuver most things that aren't Russian although brawling is really not this tank's forte. There's not a lot to say about it: the tank keeps it's top speed in all kinds of terrain but chugging up hills will slow you down a lot.

Misc:

Gun depression: -7

Engine health: 190 (the T-44 has 370)

Ammo Capacity: 56

Shell Cost: 252

Viewrange: 380

There is not much to say about other stats except the appallingly bad engine health. I have got set on fire by things like T37 more than once in single games. Do not let them shoot your side armour. Do not expose your rears. Your engine can not and will not take a beating. I'd almost say that Preventative Maint is mandatory if you're playing just this tank. 

That said, the rest of the stats do not disappoint. -7 is comfy enough for a short tank like the 44-100 and will let you abuse terrain quite well if not seamlessly. The ammo capacity allows for a healthy mix of AP, APCR and even some HE, in contrast to the Type 59 and the 54 Mod 1. The shell cost at 252 is cheap and gives you a rather good credit earning potential if you do not spam APCR and run food every match.

I don't have the exact camo values but it suffices to say that they are rather good. Almost 1/3rd better than the CDC and higher than anything in the same tier except the 416 and some TDs. This allows you to scout quite well when needed and maintain vision control using your superior speed and adequate viewrange.

The package:

Overall, the T-44-100 performs similarly to its regular cousin in most respects except sidescraping and taking engine damage. As a premium it's a pleasure to play and I feel that it is far more forgiving than tanks like the CDC and the Mutz while retaining similar levels of credit-making potential. Compared to something like the FCM-50t, it is much better at winning games via vision and not being a gigantic target in general, although I'm not sure if MM weights the tank like a heavy or not (I suspect it does not).

At the moment, the options for training Russian med crews are the Matilda IV, the Rudy, the 34-85M and the 54 Mod 1, out of which only the Rudy and the T-54 are viable. What does the -100 bring to the table? In my opinion, this tank is much better at being a true medium thanks to its speed and viewrange. I would think it as a significantly better earner since it doesn't need to fire nearly as many APCR rounds as the Mod 1 does, but then again the Mod 1 is also monstrously strong at carrying low tier games.

Is it worth the 2 weeks of time I put into it? The question is whether if you have a life. If you do, then the tank is definitely not worth the grind and you would be better off with buying a Mod 1 and gitgud @ it. If not, I suppose it doesn't really matter if you squander your time wanking to watching Chinese cartoons (cue intelligent social commentary) or play pixel tonks 24/7.  You might be less of a nuisance to your neighbours if you stick to tanks. I for one enjoy riding my new waifu tank into the battlefield and watch the Russky fanboys drool over this sleek piece of Soviet engineering.

If you do choose to buy or grind out this tank (I sincerely hope it's the former), be warned: friendlies will goggle at you and the fact that you have just wasted 2 weeks of your miserable life at a badly-balanced game, and red tanks will YOLO you to oblivion just so they can get that elusive medal to boost their non-existent e-peen.

http://wotlabs.net/ru/player/kerosene_heals

This guy has it on RU server. I forgot his forum account nickname. I'd say it pretty good premium, something like M46 KR.

I want it. T-44 is still my favorite tier8 for looking sexy and generally being pleasantly agile, I wouldn't mind having a version with sideskirts that makes back the credits you may use on APCR shells.

Although I suspect this one suffers on uphill climbs?

I didn't notice the engine been gimped but it has been years since I played the T44. I would run optics over vents simply because you'll get shafted in tier 9/10 battles without a good VR. Other than that its a fun little tank, well worth doing the missions if you want a med trainer and like tier 8's (I don't.)

But-t-t-t you are one of the red seatards as well :doge:

10/10 would get the t-44-100 just because its a t-44 soviet hovercraft, my 5 skill hovercraft crews need moar exp :ohnyes:(or is it 6 now i don't remember)

Should be able to get all the tokens by grinding dailies for free exp, already done 3(usa/czech skoda t50 bae <3/USSR MASTER RACE) days ago, and halfway through most of the other tokens. Aiming to be done with most of them by Sunday, though having 255 credits (yes you read that right) will mean i would have to grind credits with wz111111/112/t-34-3/fcm to clear chinese and french tokens, so then i can sprem sta-2/stb-1, and play my conq bae <3 for brits. And uh the two other nations which i don't remember Kappa.

Wow, dem recents.

Out of curiosity, which nation was it that murdered your WR the worst?

Anyways, tenk looks nice, for a prem anyways. Would like, but I can barely play lately, ping is usually either rubberbanded to fuck, or just gives up and gives me a somehow stable connection with over a second of latency. I might just drop cash on it when it comes out as a bundle later.

FFS WG, stop bundling all the tanks we do want with shit we dont want.

11 hours ago, Psykmoe said:

I want it. T-44 is still my favorite tier8 for looking sexy and generally being pleasantly agile, I wouldn't mind having a version with sideskirts that makes back the credits you may use on APCR shells.

Although I suspect this one suffers on uphill climbs?

It does quite a bit. Although unless I'm very much mistaken it's actually more agile in tight maneuvers thanks to that dank terrain resistance. The gun handling is also better, so it's kind of like the situation with the Panther II and the 8.8 where you trade speed for agility and comfiness.

9 hours ago, no_name_cro said:

It's better than FV4202 so it has that going for it.

I'd play the pre-buff 59 patton over the 4202...

8 hours ago, Va1heru said:

I didn't notice the engine been gimped but it has been years since I played the T44. I would run optics over vents simply because you'll get shafted in tier 9/10 battles without a good VR. Other than that its a fun little tank, well worth doing the missions if you want a med trainer and like tier 8's (I don't.)

Ah. I forgot to mention the matchmaking. IMO you could give Tier 8 meds 250 pen and they'd still suck in Tier X matches due to the vast gun handling, HP, alpha and armour disparity between T8s and T10 meds. Even if the T44-100 had 212 pen like the CDC, I'd imagine it'd still be relegated to a spotting role in those TX matches given how dominant the T9/10s are at actually dealing damage.

3 hours ago, karl0ssus1 said:

Wow, dem recents.

Out of curiosity, which nation was it that murdered your WR the worst?

Anyways, tenk looks nice, for a prem anyways. Would like, but I can barely play lately, ping is usually either rubberbanded to fuck, or just gives up and gives me a somehow stable connection with over a second of latency. I might just drop cash on it when it comes out as a bundle later.

FFS WG, stop bundling all the tanks we do want with shit we dont want.

At this point, it would be easier to answer which nation didn't murder my stats.

Still, it was a long nightmarish grind but some parts were longer and more nightmarish than others. Highlights include grinding the stock M103, grinding the stock AT-8, the stock T-24 with its 6.97 reload (what the actual fuck), the stock T-25 which was almost just as bad tier for tier, the stock ISU which was terribly terrible when you're playing continually on tilt and YOLOing your enemy too tired to care. And oh, I had the time of my life grinding 180k exp on the AMX M4 45 in anticipation of the new line. I rage sold the tank the moment the French discounts were over. 

To be a bit more serious though, the only tanks that saved me from murdering myself were the WZ-111 1-4, the E-75, the 430, the KV-1 (with food because I'm filthy like that) and the O-Ho which was practically tilt-proof.

On the plus side I now have the best XVM camo on the entire server.

32 minutes ago, lavawing said:

Ah. I forgot to mention the matchmaking. IMO you could give Tier 8 meds 250 pen and they'd still suck in Tier X matches due to the vast gun handling, HP, alpha and armour disparity between T8s and T10 meds. Even if the T44-100 had 212 pen like the CDC, I'd imagine it'd still be relegated to a spotting role in those TX matches given how dominant the T9/10s are at actually dealing damage.

I also tend to feel like most tier8s scale up very poorly in their ability to actually kill things. There are, of course, a handful of exceptions, but in general I'd rather be slinging prem shells from a tier6 at a tier8 than from a tier8 at a tier10, because if you're bottom tier in an 8, you're inferior in more ways and by wider margins.

It's a shame, too, because there's a lot of tier8s I really like owning, but especially when platooning, the matchmaker doesn't seem to know what to do with a regular 8 platoon. Tier10 games all the time.

14 minutes ago, Vindi said:

soooooo..... its a shittier t-54 prototype?

If you're willing to load gold, yes.

18 hours ago, lavawing said:

After 2 weeks of nonstop playing and no-lifing and tilting my way to Red WN8 levels of baddery (this is not an exaggeration), I have thus earned my sweet new waifu tank. Voila.

signature.png

Tell me this is joke... 

Please fix 1st post

XELNHT0.jpg

EDIT:

Found replay on YT

3 hours ago, Vindi said:

soooooo..... its a shittier t-54 prototype?

Depends what you prefer I'd say. T54 has more armor, T-44-100 has a bit better gun handling and can actually move around.

On 24.07.2016 at 7:48 PM, no_name_cro said:

http://wotlabs.net/ru/player/kerosene_heals

This guy has it on RU server. I forgot his forum account nickname. I'd say it pretty good premium, something like M46 KR.

Hai!

The tank is slightly better version of the original T-44, really great premium for someone used to play truemeds. The only downfall in comparison with the T-44 is low module health, tracks+red engine are rather frequent. But with 100% repairs and a big rep-kit I had no problems with it. 

At first I played it with a lot of gold, rammer/vents/stab and I had about 2000 dpg (my 416 has 2300 for comparison), but then I switched to economy mode and only kept big-rep and a few gold rounds, also changed vents for optics -- my dpg fell to 1800 but my percentage stayed the same, 65 -- mostly solo. 

The screens provide some giggle moments too, I once bounced E100 heat with them and then proceeded to circle-kill him.

Overall I can recommend this tank as a farmer of choice for a good player. Great players would probably find more use in greater mobility of CDC.

vbaddict-my-44-100

59 minutes ago, Shoop_da_whoop said:

Overall I can recommend this tank as a farmer of choice for a good player. Great players would probably find more use in greater mobility of CDC.

What about gun and armor vs POS_CDC? :kwim:

10 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

And camo and agility and not being the size of a barn. The CDC accelerates faster and relocates better as well, but having played both tanks the T-44 is miles ahead on agility and smaller which allows it to flank very aggressively - sometimes even using distracted red tanks as cover from other reds. Ii'd still maintain that the T-44-100 is better than the CDC for carrying and influencing the outcome of a match since all the CDC can do is chai snipe and sometimes peek ridges; meanwhile, the T-44-100 can do that and still scout in hightiers and bully lower ones. It's just that much more versatile.

On 25.07.2016 at 9:51 PM, BlackAdder said:

Ah, true. I myself would take T-44 over the CDC any day, but on RU CDC is still regarded as a pro_player's choice ;)

Here's another downside in comparison with the original T-44 I forgot to mention -- the turret on this tank is cheese. Like, swiss cheese. But it's still low profile and with some quality wiggle you can ricochet/dodge enough shells to outdpm your tier 6-7 opponent in a hull-down fight.

16 hours ago, Shoop_da_whoop said:

Ah, true. I myself would take T-44 over the CDC any day, but on RU CDC is still regarded as a pro_player's choice ;)

Here's another downside in comparison with the original T-44 I forgot to mention -- the turret on this tank is cheese. Like, swiss cheese. But it's still low profile and with some quality wiggle you can ricochet/dodge enough shells to outdpm your tier 6-7 opponent in a hull-down fight.

Just checked on Tanks.gg, as far as I can see, the effective armour of the two seems the same, but the 44-100's turret is larger than the vanilla 44 so perhaps that's what makes it feel weaker. Still, it's pretty good for a T8 medium: only stuff like the Pershing and the T-54 clones have consistently stronger turrets. Unlike the Murica and Brit tonks however, its mantlet is pretty soft, but all the areas around the mantlet become autobounce beyond a few pixels.

5 hours ago, lavawing said:

Just checked on Tanks.gg, as far as I can see, the effective armour of the two seems the same, but the 44-100's turret is larger than the vanilla 44 so perhaps that's what makes it feel weaker. Still, it's pretty good for a T8 medium: only stuff like the Pershing and the T-54 clones have consistently stronger turrets. Unlike the Murica and Brit tonks however, its mantlet is pretty soft, but all the areas around the mantlet become autobounce beyond a few pixels.

Nope, check the mantle. On standart T-44 it partially overlays with the turret armor.

43 minutes ago, Shoop_da_whoop said:

Nope, check the mantle. On standart T-44 it partially overlays with the turret armor.

Guess we know what WG will nerf on HD T-44. :) 

19 hours ago, Shoop_da_whoop said:

It also overlaps on the T-44-100, though that area on the -100 is smaller and only covers the sides of the mantlet. On the 44 the overlap also covers the very top and bottom strips of the mantlet, so that might be it.

This tank is now the marathon tank on EU for september. Summing up the all nations required, player needs to do 1,2million of damage and get 1200 kills in one month. I like missions for extra flavor but last year WZ-111 event was 945k damage and 945 kills. This is one quarter more and seems a bit ridiculous and that 183 AP pen is crap even against buffed IS-series tanks that fill tier 8 never mind tier 9 and 10.

51 minutes ago, TohtoriP said:

This tank is now the marathon tank on EU for september. Summing up the all nations required, player needs to do 1,2million of damage and get 1200 kills in one month. I like missions for extra flavor but last year WZ-111 event was 945k damage and 945 kills. This is one quarter more and seems a bit ridiculous and that 183 AP pen is crap even against buffed IS-series tanks that fill tier 8 never mind tier 9 and 10.

Having played some battles in it i find that the ap pen is quite okay for pubs

So, would this tank be worth getting from the marathon? Last time WZ-111 event was there, i had no premium acc and only 10 - 15 tanks in my garage. Now i have +30 tanks,  atleast 1 tank from EVERY nation that is tier 6 or higher, aswell as i am lot better player, so i might be actually able to do it. I would probably grind as many nations as i can (Russia, Germany,  France and Japan atleast should be easy ones as i have multiple tanks from those that are tier 6 or higher), and then buy tokens for remaining ones i didnt get in time. One token costs now only 6 euros (as opposed to 10 euros it used to be, i think), so using even 3 tokens wouldnt hurt, considering tier 8 prems are worth 30 - 45 euros.

I already do have T-54 Mod 1 as RU MT trainer, but since im planning on getting all 3 hovermeds i wouldnt mind having 2nd one, not to mention more prems = more variety = more motivation to play = more credits.