Dissidence

Diss's Guide To Competence In Tanking For Sub 49%ers, Because We All Had To Start Somewhere

Awesome guide, like - actually stellar work there Dissidence.

Well worthy of 10 minutes to get that in a forum friendly format - hope you don't mind i just threw it in there for you. Also deleted all the posts about the word doc and converting it to PDF etc.

Thanks for writing this, and thanks for posting it here.

Great read.  Plenty of useful stuff, and you covered some things that I have learned how to do. 

Learning how to use a fast medium to it's full advantage is what I am working on now.  I am trading off between Cromwell, M4A3E8, T25 prem (Decent speed, and ROF... turret isn't very fast, but I won 5 straight in it the other day).  Still want to get more out of my Panther, but having a bit of difficulty with that.  My VK3601 is my favorite medium, but, it's not a very fast medium, however, I do pretty good in it (54% win rate).  The Cromwell, is fast, good RoF and fast turret traverse, but, it's easy to get into big trouble with that tank, and get into it fast. On the plus side, I have turned the tide for my team in a battle on my own, and with the help of team mates 2 other times. It has great value as a flanker, and decent punch from the top gun.  However, I also get easily frustrated in my mediums, probably because I get too far ahead of everyone sometimes. 

I could use some advice on how to perform better in my mediums.  Mainly to stop the "shoot once and die" cycle that I tend to fall into from time to time .  My damage rate is not very good, my kill ratio is coming up in various tanks, but overall, it's still below .6.  I can put together a string of 1K+ damage games, but, as of late, I am not hitting like I normally do, and my damage per game is starting to get on my nerves.

I do better in heavies, probably because I feel "safer" in them, and they are a bit more deliberate than a medium.  I like the idea of the medium tank, and want to be better at using them.

Awesome guide, like - actually stellar work there Dissidence.

Well worthy of 10 minutes to get that in a forum friendly format - hope you don't mind i just threw it in there for you. Also deleted all the posts about the word doc and converting it to PDF etc.

Thanks for writing this, and thanks for posting it here.

Much appreciated. I couldn't shrink it to be small enough as a PDF, and the images were creating problems when I tried to forum poast.

Excellent read.

Presented in this manner, I can see what Ive been doing right and what areas Ive been doing it wrong. The tier breakdown was especially poignant for me.

-Medium Tanks-

Hit home, and made me realise why I have problems with them. Although Ive known and understand the role of the mediums. I simply cant put it together with any success. My mindset doesnt allow for the dynamics required of a medium driver.

Excellent piece of work and one that I will be re-reading, have downloaded the document and will have it next to my computer :bravo: +1

Fantastic guide with lots of helpful information.

I have a question, though on your heavy tank comment.

Some heavy tanks have a description that reads they should be played from behind.   Now, I know this doesn't mean from spawn, but, from a sniping position some 300 to 400 meters back and NOT from the front in between buildings.   Conversely some suggest they are better suited for the building brawls.    Your statement that your heaviest tank should be at the front doesn't seem to jibe with how some heavy tanks are designed to be played.   I wouldn't want my Tier V German heavy, or, hell, the Tiger heavies up front, would I?   Or would I? :)

I just wanted to say thanks for writing this.  I read this about 2 weeks after I started playing and have re-read it several times since then.  I still have a long way to go, but your guide was very helpful.  I have come up from a 47% w/r.

I appreciate you taking the time to do this, it was worth the effort.

I would also like to say "thank you".

This forum and posts like yours are helping me a lot on the long and painful road of improvement.

Edit: watch this shiny blue 60 day stats 8)

Fantastic guide with lots of helpful information.

I have a question, though on your heavy tank comment.

Some heavy tanks have a description that reads they should be played from behind.   Now, I know this doesn't mean from spawn, but, from a sniping position some 300 to 400 meters back and NOT from the front in between buildings.   Conversely some suggest they are better suited for the building brawls.    Your statement that your heaviest tank should be at the front doesn't seem to jibe with how some heavy tanks are designed to be played.   I wouldn't want my Tier V German heavy, or, hell, the Tiger heavies up front, would I?   Or would I? :)

If you are top tier you have to consider your team's composition. If you are the only tier 7 on your team you'd better be at or near the front to take the hits for your teammates. After all if nothing else your greater HP pool means you have better survivability than all of your teammates. Every hit you absorb and still live keeps a teammate in the game. Plus even the Tiger, while not known for great armor, is capable of bouncing RNG'd or poorly aimed shots off its gun mantlet, and angled hull.

There are very few heavies that struggle in these roles as spearhead, even when the only top tier. Case in point if an AMX M4 45 got dropped in a tier 6 battle as the only tier 7 on either side, it would still struggle to lead a push. But as a general rule the heaviest tank should be at the front as armor dominance is one of the best ways to deal damage without being damaged in return.

As battle progresses, fast movers become progressively more valuable, thus sending them to early deaths while "sniping" from very far away in a heavy is very counterproductive. However, in a Tier 7 fight, if you have say a KV-3, a Tiger, and a T29, the KV-3 should probably be at the front line, not the Tiger, but the Tiger should be somewhere in range to have an impact on that decisive choke point. So there is some situational room for interpretation.

Fantastic post!  Thank you for the time and effort.  I spent the first 6500 battles of my WOT experience running around with my father who's idea of fun was "lets get em!"  I found WOT labs about a 3 weeks ago and the info and ideas set forth here have changed my game experience.  Thanks again!

Great post, just joined WOTLabs and hopefully can really start to improve. My main problem in this game is impaitence. I really have to start holding myself back a bit, and not get that tunnel vision.

I wish I had read this 8000 battles ago... sigh.  The good news is I have eventually figured out much of what you wrote.  Thanks a bunch!  :thumbup:

Thanks for this post. It took me almost 6k games to figure out most of what you covered here. This is a great guide for newer players looking to improve.