Sign in to follow this  
Bavor

Is selling premium tanks in the premium shop only a money grab?

In the past year, there have been over 30 times that Wargaming NA offered a premium tank for sale in the premium shop only and not had the tank available in game for gold.  Some players viewed this as an obvious money grab by Wargaming NA because the premium shop price is always higher than the price if you bought gold and bought the tank in game for its gold value.  Also some players say it devalues the gold won in tournaments and clan wars because you can't use the gold on anything new.

I recently filed a ticket asking if I can buy the M41 90 GF for the gold price instead of through the premium shop.

"Ticket #820558

Category:WoTSub-category:In-Game Goods
Over the past year, Wargaming North America has released about 30 tanks in the premium shop only and not available n game for gold. Last month I saw that the M 41 90 GF was going to be available in August. Today I saw its available for sale only in the premium shop and not available in game.

Is it possible to purchase the M 41 90 GF with gold? I was told that the value of the tank is 6500 gold. Since the M41 90 GF isn't available to purchase in game, would it be possible to deduct 6500 gold from my account and put the M41 90 GF in my garage?"

Their reply after a long discussion:

"All of this brings me back to your original question, which is "can I purchase the M 41 90 GF for Gold?" - unfortunately the answer is no.

These bundles are available on the Premium Shop exclusively, and can't be purchased with in-game currency via the tech tree."

To compensate me for my disappointment, they gave me 3 days of premium time.

So is their policy a money grab?  Does it devalue gold now that you can't buy anything new with the gold?

Of course it's a money grab. People playing skirmishes rake in gold by the thousands every week, gold has long been devalued to borderline worthless for the upper echelon of the player base for several reasons:

-they already own most, if not all of the relevant tanks, making free xp useless

-they already have the premium tanks they want or need, no need to spend more gold buying tanks

-the cost for premium is far lower than their gold income (CW gold pays for premium just fine the last time I checked)

How would WG solve the problem of players hoarding gold and not spending them? By bypassing the whole gold economy of course.

3 days prem for that though, thats not bad lol.

And yes, it sort of is a momey grab,  and I hate it.

Therr are several tanks I would of liked to buy, BUT, I have 40K gold on my account, and im not fucking paying 40-50 bucks for a tank when I have that much gold already, so its screwimg me over. 

But thats why they're doing it, to make people who already have the gold just buy it. 

"Money grab" is kind of unfair though. It's a business decision, and as alluded to above it is due to inflated gold payouts that have stuffed the top echelon's accounts.

If you want to look at money grabs, one can look at AW's "regular tanks with premium MM, extra credit and XP generation and a special paint job for $$" model.

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

But thats why they're doing it, to make people who already have the gold just buy it. 

What percentage of players have stockpiles of gold from tournaments and/or clan wars?  It might be the top 1% or probably less now among active players.  In reality, its probably a small percentage of players who have large piles of gold sitting around while most players don't have large piles of gold sitting around.  sr360 mentioned the top echelon of players who have accounts with large quantities of gold from larger payouts in the past.  Its probably only people in the top 10-15 clans now who are making any significant gold from clan wars.  Also, tournament payouts have decreased over time.  Even dance mentioned something about the lower payouts due to lower allocations on the official forum when asked about it.

In addition to that, Wargaming will offer gold for sale at a 10-17% discount then the players who bought it can't spend it on any newer premium tanks.  Those players also feel screwed over.

From the people I've talked with about it, it seems to make many players unhappy and alienates players who do well in the game and have gold prizes.  So much for Wargaming wanting happy players.  

I'm not sure about the exact reason, but i feel some tanks would absolutely flood mm if they were available for gold. imagine the cromwell b available for gold permanently... well at least the massive flood into the mm would lower dpg requirements for 3 moe...

17 minutes ago, garryallen said:

I'm not sure about the exact reason, but i feel some tanks would absolutely flood mm if they were available for gold. imagine the cromwell b available for gold permanently... well at least the massive flood into the mm would lower dpg requirements for 3 moe...

What if they were available for gold only when they are available for sale in the premium shop?  

So you getting free gold and you want free tanks? 

Man this is FREE GAME but they have to live from something. On the other hand many premium tanks are not that special after all. 

Borderline, if you have gold (cw, tournaments, whatever) you can still buy some tanks, but if you have shit lod of gold you don't need premiums at all. You can freexp lines, train crews, buy premium account, and convert to money if you will. So you don't need lousy crew trainer/money grinder.

If you are buying gold (pleb,bot no klanu) you can buy tank for cash. No difference.

That's my POV.

4 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Man this is FREE GAME but they have to live from something. On the other hand many premium tanks are not that special after all. 

If you win gold in in game contests of skill, why should there be restrictions on how you can spend it?

Its like wining some other real life contest and being told, here it $20,000 cash, however you can only spend it on old cars, not a new car.

There are plenty of players who don't make gold in tournaments and clan wars who can and do support the game.  Restricting the small numbers of those who earn gold in the in game contest of skill doesn't help Wargaming.  

Borderline, if you have gold (cw, tournaments, whatever) you can still buy some tanks, but if you have shit lod of gold you don't need premiums at all. You can freexp lines, train crews, buy premium account, and convert to money if you will. So you don't need lousy crew trainer/money grinder.

If you are buying gold (pleb,bot no klanu) you can buy tank for cash. No difference.

That's my POV.

More premium tanks means training crews faster.  It also means more variety when you want to increase your credit income or platoon with friends in different tanks.

For the people that buy gold, Wargaming has offers where you get extra gold depending on the dollar amount you spend.  So they encourage players to spend higher dollar amounts on gold.  Then those players find out they can't spend that extra gold on new tanks.  The players who buy gold should be allowed to use it on new tanks because Wargaming already has their money.

I'm not sure how Wargamign does it on the other servers, but to the NA server this policy of newer tanks only being sold in the premium shop to many players looks like the last money grab before the server dies off.

@Bavor

Comparison is wrong. First of all in lottery large number of participants pay fee to enter the game, and afterwards one (or small number of players) gets payout leaving rest to organizers of lottery. Here you don't have to pay nothing (but literally nothing) to participate and win.

Since Wargaming isn't charity they need some sort of income. By limiting gold "use" they secure some of fresh cash.

My point was if you are good (like top clan good) you have mad gold you don't need premium tanks (border line besides one in game) becouse you have cash either through conversion or stronk platoons. 

Also you can supercharge crew by freexp converted with mad gold. 

I think small portion of players have turnament gold and cry for stupid shitty premiums. After all most of premiums are underperforming tanks in their respective tier.

If you are shit, and you use credit card what's the difference.

PS god players often get donations too. 

Edit

For me premium tank is necessary evil to get money, and play tanks that I actually enjoy (like HEAT54, E50, 260 and so on).

I find it amusing when a person on the US server complains of not being able to spend the stupid amount of gold they have gotten from EZ tournaments on tanks.

Like SR360 said, it's a business decision to make cash because they royally fucked up in how much gold has been given out, so anyone could see this coming. 

Also, Lel at getting 3 days if Prem by complaining, because 'Murrican server things.

This game actually hands out a lot of shit for free compared to most of the other f2p games Ive played. Free premium tank rentals constantly, random free premium time for various easy missions, free consumables, constant contests giving away free $$$ tanks, tournaments where you earn gold which can buy the vast majority of rhe paid products in this game. Major events usually bring free (low tier) premium tanks, plus the top of the tree/on track missions that usually give a free premium t4-t6 tank. CW'S, while terrible, still doles out heaps of gold. Plus whatever else Im forgetting off the top of my head.

Its not like most other f2p games where you have to pay to access certain areas, or level up higher to where youre not gimping yourself, or have a significant advantage vs other players. The only advantage you get is you dont have to grind quite as much because of the premium account bonus which isnt really that significant in the grand scheme of things.

WG making a relative few tanks cash only more than makes sense and I find fair enough. 

I've spent a lot of money when i was starting the game.. Now that i am able to win gold trough tourney and CW can i be allow to spent some of that gold to good use ? Or should i be restricted to the "old premium's". I think all tanks in the shop should be in in-game with similar price for gold. 

Those who say that they need to make money and that player need to support the game are not wrong. But i did just that, i supported them.. now that i'm making some gold little may it be, they need to let me use it with all the the catalog that they propose to those who pay directly with they're wallet as I have done. 

Fyi: This little game they are playing effectively reduces the actual value of gold. And this is done after month of tank sold as "package" with shitload of gold that has now a reduce value since they also started to sale new premiums from the shop only. 

22 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

That's my POV.

I don't want free tanks, i want to spend my gold i bought in packs with tanks (cause I'm dumb) on more (good) tanks. is that so wrong? and I know so many more bad players who spend a tonne of money on this game than i do good. unicums and superunicums, which are very common here on wotlabs, are almost nonexistent in sea pub battles, and pubs form the majority of the buyer base of WG.

Our clan earns monies from cws but all we use it for is giving to players in our clan who manage to kill/tk our commander so i don't really earn anything out of our measly income.

if i want to buy tanks i want with gold i bought i feel like that should be allowed. gold earners are very rare, so i don't really feel that this is the best way to do it in terms of satisfying the player base, however wg is a business, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with charging us for more stuff, instead of letting us use what crap we already had.

7 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

It can't be a money grab, because judging by the premiums released over the last year or two I think it's obvious WG doesn't like money any more.

?

Sarcasm or? Because theres the lekpz, the Mutz, (some people like) the T-54 proto, IS-3A, IS-2, Bromwell, 13-57, Rudy, ISU-122S, Scorpion, CDC, and soon to be the Skorpion. I hate the 54 proto personally, and dont have the 3A but I like rest and thought they were solid tanks. More so than most of the older ones.

27 minutes ago, TheSovereign said:

?

Sarcasm or? Because theres the lekpz, the Mutz, (some people like) the T-54 proto, IS-3A, IS-2, Bromwell, 13-57, Rudy, ISU-122S, Scorpion, CDC, and soon to be the Skorpion. I hate the 54 proto personally, and dont have the 3A but I like rest and thought they were solid tanks. More so than most of the older ones.

Read what i wrote.

Good players like Jesse don't want underperforming premium. They have money and crews. And FCM/IS6 can satisfy their SH8 money grind. 

1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

Read what i wrote.

Good players like Jesse don't want underperforming premium. They have money and crews. And FCM/IS6 can satisfy their SH8 money grind. 

To each their own I suppose. I generally find premiums more fun to play. They come elited so no worrying about dealing with shit stock modules, most are competitive with their non prem counterparts, and best of all theyre (slightly) less rage inducing for me. I can shoot gold when I need to and still make a sizeable profit generally so no credit grinding required. 

Stronks were fun before they became a second job. The focus was: Have fun, grind credits, and win, in that order. Now with the influence nonsense its: Win/grind influence, win fast enough to not be a waste of time, grind credits, and then have fun. Therefore, for me, the less credit grinding I have to do the better. 

53 minutes ago, TheSovereign said:

To each their own I suppose. I generally find premiums more fun to play. They come elited so no worrying about dealing with shit stock modules, most are competitive with their non prem counterparts, and best of all theyre (slightly) less rage inducing for me. I can shoot gold when I need to and still make a sizeable profit generally so no credit grinding required. 

Stronks were fun before they became a second job. The focus was: Have fun, grind credits, and win, in that order. Now with the influence nonsense its: Win/grind influence, win fast enough to not be a waste of time, grind credits, and then have fun. Therefore, for me, the less credit grinding I have to do the better. 

You think top clan guys research? They have shit load of gold they freeXP whole line. 

I wrote before, you have 2 type of players:

• good ones (good clans and shit) - they have shit load of gold, and they don't mind in crappy premiums
  • bad ones - they already spent $ on gold or whatever so doesn't make difference for them

3 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Well, that's the point. They aren't releasing nearly as many shitboxes as they used to. You can look back with nostalgia goggles at tanks like the IS-6, Type 59, and E-25 and say "wow look at these cash cows, wg doesn't release stuff like this anymore!", but the reality of the situation is that for every Type 59, WG released four underperforming moneysinks like the Pz IVS, Warcrime Panther, AT-15A, Lowe, etc. Back then it was a given that most of the stuff WG released would either be straight up bad or a bad tank made mediocre via pref (like the FCM).

In fact, I'd flip your statement around entirely. Being annoyed by the current selection of premiums probably means you want to grind credits and crews. If you want premiums to push your performance, you have good options. If you just want chill out and farm cash, this is not a good time to be shopping - tanks like the Lowe/T34/FCM have long since grown stale. Farming cash in (also stale) tanks like the Spershing/IS-6/Type 59 has slowly become less and less profitable as armor and sigma changes make ~175 pen AP less viable.  There's not much new blood to cycle out stale farming premiums, and that new blood cannot offer the relaxation of farming credits under pref MM. There's nothing out there to replace the tools we were once given, instead we have "esports premiums".