Psycodiver

Question about newer BMWs

23 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

And wait some more :serb:

> Plug-in hybrid :awyeah:

Also what Jackie said, lease and you can forget about any maintenance issues way down the line. 

22 minutes ago, _Dia said:

> Plug-in hybrid :awyeah:

Also what Jackie said, lease and you can forget about any maintenance issues way down the line. 

Yes, because continually paying for something year in and and year out is so much more financially prudent than the alternatives...

/sarcasm

Leasing, while hassle-free, is financially an inferior alternative to buying a car, and far inferior to buying a used car. Even a 1-2 year old car has had the new car premium wiped off it and is a much much better deal than buying new.

3 minutes ago, sr360 said:

Leasing, while hassle-free, is financially an inferior alternative to buying a car, and far inferior to buying a used car. Even a 1-2 year old car has had the new car premium wiped off it and is a much much better deal than buying new.

Took the words right out of my mouth. The best thing about buying used cars is those times you get a killer deal. The last two cars I bought (Ford Focus 2011 and 2012.5 Peugeot 5008) were both obtained at well below their respective market values. In the case of the 5008 that was really nice because it's a very gadgety car :-)

In case you don't believe sr360 or me though...

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/here-are-four-reasons-why-leasing-a-car-is-a-horrible-1679935623

2 hours ago, sr360 said:

Not if you have money and want fresh car every 2-3 years. It's hassle free way to get rid of old one and get new one, almost like cheaper rent-a-car. 

3 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Not if you have money and want fresh car every 2-3 years. It's hassle free way to get rid of old one and get new one, almost like cheaper rent-a-car. 

Even if you have money, it's still a financially inferior alternative. Yes, there are advantages, and if you want to spend the extra money (like some of my loaded friends do), it's fair, but still inferior.

4 hours ago, sr360 said:

Even if you have money, it's still a financially inferior alternative. Yes, there are advantages, and if you want to spend the extra money (like some of my loaded friends do), it's fair, but still inferior.

Indeed. If you have money to burn and you're not investing it in something with better long-term value than a car then you're being financially foolish.

If the reason you're not saving/investing is because you have limp-dick syndrome and need to compensate by driving a new car every few years then you are being particularly foolish and should probably chat with a psychologist about that self-image issue :-)

Leasing a car is a lot like leasing a cell-phone: A financially bad idea for the end-user but one that the sellers offer because they make a killing on it. 

Own 2 cars with no car payments. 

What is this "lease" bullshit?

OP, if you want something newer and RWD, take a look at a used Pontiac G8. It's an imported LHD Holden Commodore from Australia. 4 doors, RWD, nice GM V8. Reliable as fuck because GM V8.

19 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Indeed. If you have money to burn and you're not investing it in something with better long-term value than a car then you're being financially foolish.

If the reason you're not saving/investing is because you have limp-dick syndrome and need to compensate by driving a new car every few years then you are being particularly foolish and should probably chat with a psychologist about that self-image issue :-)

Leasing a car is a lot like leasing a cell-phone: A financially bad idea for the end-user but one that the sellers offer because they make a killing on it. 

Edgy projection man.

EXFgAW8.png

You REALLY have to look into how much maintenance for luxury cars cost, and how much that affects this analysis on an $18k car. For people that can afford more luxurious cars, I think having a peace of mind and not having to worry about maintenance after 2 years (assuming you buy used after the 2 year depreciation plateau) down the road is worth its own weight in shekles.

Plus depending on what job you have, driving new and contemporary cars is quite important in the eyes of your clients.

On 8/7/2016 at 11:29 AM, sr360 said:

It's the hassle free aspect that attracts leasing to me the most. Cars like the Honda Accord (or any reliable cars), I would buy out right new or used.

On the other hand, I do wonder if your 335i didn't have those mechanical issues, would you lease a BMW again?

2 hours ago, jackquerudo said:

It's the hassle free aspect that attracts leasing to me the most. Cars like the Honda Accord (or any reliable cars), I would buy out right new or used.

On the other hand, I do wonder if your 335i didn't have those mechanical issues, would you lease a BMW again?

Maybe, if I my income went up to a point where I felt like I could spend the extra cash. As it is, I would rather invest the spare money into retirement or a 529 account. As you know, I currently have a couple of not-too-shabby high reliability cars purchased outright 2-3 years old, and the older one has required 0 maintenance outside oil, tires and battery.

1 hour ago, sr360 said:

Maybe, if I my income went up to a point where I felt like I could spend the extra cash. As it is, I would rather invest the spare money into retirement or a 529 account. As you know, I currently have a couple of not-too-shabby high reliability cars purchased outright 2-3 years old, and the older one has required 0 maintenance outside oil, tires and battery.

This is true. I think when I get older I may settle more into the Japanese territory as well. Reliable and good to live with :feelsbad:

my 1996, 230000km (143K miles) honda integra went in to get its WoF at the end of june and needed nothing but 2 new tyres. 

#reliability

(and it only cost me $1100 NZL. or ~$800 US)

tl;dr if you want reliability go japanese. 

1 hour ago, jackquerudo said:

This is true. I think when I get older I may settle more into the Japanese territory as well. Reliable and good to live with :feelsbad:

Isn't it kinda funny "luxury" cars seem to to have poor reliability? Or at least, that's what it sounds like based on what some people have been saying...

26 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Isn't it kinda funny "luxury" cars seem to to have poor reliability? Or at least, that's what it sounds like based on what some people have been saying...

Luxury cars tend to be:

1. Tech-forward, so a lot of new (untested) technology is being put into cars. The Merc S-class for example has a literal bajillion technology systems. Any one of those could fail leading to maintenance. As opposed to brands like Toyota and Honda, which are relatively slow in incorporating new technologies into their cars. The reason why Lexus is so reliable is that they tend to use parts that have been in use for many years on other cars. The same reason why Acura is so unreliable compared to Honda, is that while they use similar mechanical base, Acura tends to spring for more contemporary technology packages that fail more frequently

2. High performance, low tolerance mechanical parts.

And here I was thinking reliability was a luxury feature stemming from the use of high quality components :-) Silly me :-)

3 hours ago, OOPMan said:

And here I was thinking reliability was a luxury feature stemming from the use of high quality components :-) Silly me :-)

Once upon a time that was true. Less so of late. The 335i I leased in 2008 had the new twin turbo engine which delivered 300 HP from a 3.0L straight-6 engine due to some nifty design. That engine won numerous awards for design excellence-- and the high pressure fuel pump on it failed 4 times in 3 years.

Luxury cars also often use more parts, and the more complicated a design the more things can go wrong.

Luxury cars got touch screens, heated seats, adjustable seats etc way way before these things trickled down into the mainstream consumer cars. And even when these things trickled down into mainstream cars, it was brands like Buick, Oldsmobile or even pontiac that got them first. Semi-luxury or slightly nicer but not really any nicer in most models (why GM made some pontiacs terrible like there chevys and others nicer than its chev counterparts, then still slammed home olds, buick and caddys idk)

Also most luxury cars have more complicated electrical systems, or use more complicated designs furthering repair costs....

that and BMW loves making using weird parts. case and point is the fuel pump SR360 mentioned. That car did not need a high high pressure fuel pump, and they likely have ones that worked but felt it was better to put a new one that offered more flow incase they wanted to add more power later. but it was new and wasn't throughly tested.

5 hours ago, OOPMan said:

There is a reason why Russian Lada never breaks down - there's nothing to break. :doge:

On 8/9/2016 at 11:14 AM, OOPMan said:

Kind of late to the party.

I know German cars have some reliability issues but I'm still going to purchase an Audi or a Porsche for a first car. Im not really a fan of BMW, Acura or Lexus...

I am kind of worried as well :doge:

59 minutes ago, MAJEST1C said:

I know German cars have some reliability issues but I'm still going to purchase an Audi or a Porsche for a first car. Im not really a fan of BMW, Acura or Lexus...

People exaggerate this, new car is under warranty and I think it's a myth for both german engineering and poor reliability. Ofc if you buy packed car with latest technology it might have some issues, but seeing E60s or B6 Audis with 400k+ on clock makes me doubt in poor reliability. Also i think other cars if maintained should perform similar.

BTW many new cars are similar so it's on personal liking what brand you choose. Personally i find utterly ugly Lexus cars, and new Merc low end lines. 

8 hours ago, MAJEST1C said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you know it's easier to work your way up the ladder right?

A used car is two things:

1. Cheaper than new
  2. Useful as a lump deposit when trading in

The second point is easy to ignore until you actually sell that used car you bought for "cheap" in order to lay down a nice lump on a more expensive vehicle. It's then you realise that, other than being filthy rich, there are two ways to "own" an expensive car:

1. The dumb way: Leasing. It's dumb because you don't actually own the expensive car
  2. The clever war: Leap-frogging. Work your way your way up the food-chain

Of course, the second way will take a bit longer which many people don't have the patience for...

52 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you know it's easier to work your way up the ladder right?

A used car is two things:

1. Cheaper than new
  2. Useful as a lump deposit when trading in

The second point is easy to ignore until you actually sell that used car you bought for "cheap" in order to lay down a nice lump on a more expensive vehicle. It's then you realise that, other than being filthy rich, there are two ways to "own" an expensive car:

1. The dumb way: Leasing. It's dumb because you don't actually own the expensive car
  2. The clever war: Leap-frogging. Work your way your way up the food-chain

Of course, the second way will take a bit longer which many people don't have the patience for...

I'm not actually paying for the car, it's given to me as a gift. My family never purchase used car or lease a car. I planned on using the car for 10+ years or as long as it can get.

2 hours ago, MAJEST1C said:

I'm not actually paying for the car, it's given to me as a gift. My family never purchase used car or lease a car. I planned on using the car for 10+ years or as long as it can get.

Man, I wish I knew people rich enough to give cars as gifts :-/

4 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Man, I wish I knew people rich enough to give cars as gifts :-/

You could ask @YesThatWasAPCR but he'd probably shitgift you a Pontiac Aztek.