• Heavies
    • TDs
    • Scum
  3. 3. Replacing what consumable?

• Repair Kit
    • Medkit
    • Fire Extinguisher

inb4 too many questions

So the more tier 9 and 10 I play, the more I realise I should go balls to the wall and give up on making a profit, win or lose, unless it's an exceptional game with lotsa damage and no missed shells, and take food with me for better tank performance.

I'm only taking food on tier 10 meds and some tier 8 premium meds, right now. With heavies I'm not because my brain says "I'm gonna be taking more hits per game, so more risk to crew/modules". Don't know if that's actually a thing, but I guess this poll will show me if it's worth it on heavies.

I only run food exclusively one one tank: the STB-1.

when I get BIA on my TVP I will probably switch that to food as well. and I replace the extinguisher because there are more situations where I lose crew or modules than where I get set on fire (STB barely ever gets set on fire and ONLY from the back, so I can avoid fires fairly often)

I also occasionally run food on the 50B and 50 100, but mostly in competitive play and not really pubs. 

I decided running food on RU meds was stupid because frontal fuel tanks, same with the 113

Honestly depends on what you use it for and what skills you have.

Food is very good to have if you have certain skills like Jack of All Trades (over med kit to negate crew member loss) or firefighting + Preventative Maintenance (over extinguisher to keep fire damage to a minimum AND your tank has a relatively low base fire value). It also depends on how often you are going to lose certain crew members.

For example, let's say I have an E-100. The E-100 is frequently penned in the turret cheeks/police bar which results in frequent loss of the gunner/loader/commander. In this case you can choose to run food over the extinguisher as the E-100 has a low base fire value. On the flip side the E-100 is also very heavily armoured and if angled properly, you can completely negate crew loss so running food over med kit is also a viable option.

In tanks like the batchat, however, you are almost exclusively forced to run food over extinguisher. The reasons being:
1) You frequently lose crew so losing medkit hurts
2) Repair kit is always needed.
3) If you are getting hit, you are probably dead anyways.

I have seen instances in WGLEU where players run food over medkit but that seems sub-optimal as losing even a driver can hinder your reload.

Tl;dr

If you want to survive a bit longer but don't mind potentially being gimped by losing the commander --> food > medkit
If you play as if you are dead to begin with if you get shot at --> food > extinguisher.

All tanks benefit from food, cost is only thing that is downside of food.

Only tank where I'd avoid food is 113, that thing has shit modules. I think weenis has made a nice post about proper food layouts.

I run food on most of my tanks. Tanks that rarely catch fire or only from the back I take off the fire extinguisher. If it's fuel tanks are in the front or along the whole side of the tank, I replace the med kit and train jack-of-all-trades.

Every tank can run food and probably should if you want to minmax. 

Things that factor in to food usage:

• How prone to fires the tank is, where does it get set on fire and how often
  • Firefighting skill/Preventative Maintenance (only if it's engine fires though, this is pointless on russian tanks altogether)
  • Amount of crew members and how often they die, and especially which ones die more often than others and especially durability of commander because of the next point
  • Jack of All Trades, do you have it? 

This is what I consider when I want to run food. "Gun handling is already good enough" or "I don't need more viewrange" are casual pleb excuses and credit consumption shouldn't be taken into consideration at all. What could be considered is your playstyle though, you will guaranteed benefit more from food than an AFE if you rarely engage the enemy directly while if you keep brawling and risk getting shot in the ass in US tanks (for example) you'll start risking fires a lot more often and it might be a less consistent option. I tend to keep my AFE and run JoAT at the expense of medkits in tanks with poor turn radiuses or simply being slow as fuck because a fast tank yoloing is hard to deal with no matter what if he's allowed to get close and then you start risking fires. 

E 50M will be the first example, shit won't ever take a fire frontally and is mobile enough to keep the fight ahead of itself rather than behind it so I simply dropped AFE for food and didn't get set on fire at all for 100+ games. 

62A is number two, shit gets set on fire ALL THE TIME because of fuel tanks so AFE is absolutely necessary and thusly I trained JoAT and skipped the medkit instead to be able to run food. 

113 numero tres, shit gets set on fire all the time, takes extreme module damage and frequently loses driver or a gunner. Now, gunner is crucial but driver can be mitigated with JoAT. Problem here is if you can really give anything up for food, and food remaining more consistent than the other options. I personally didn't take that risk and simply didn't run food on the 113 for the final push, but Carbon said JoAT and dropping medkit worked just fine too. But then I again, I ran optics and he vents. 

M48 is also a pretty decent example, doesn't get set on fire a lot but takes pretty heavy crew damage from the cupola (can't remember what member dies from hits there though) so I simply ran JoAT AND medkit with food instead of AFE. 

Weenis talked about the benefits of food in terms of reload and VR, but in my opinion, the biggest advantage to running food is Accuracy.

Accuracy in-game is a stat that indicates to the radius of your aim circle at 100 meters, for example, an E5 with all modules has 0.33 accuracy without food, that means at 100 meters the surface area of its reticle is 0.34 square meters, with food, it lowers the accuracy to 0.31, this translate to a surface area of 0.3 square meters, thats a 12% decrease in surface area to aim circle alone, without even accounting for the increase in aimtime/dispersion.

This is a significant boost to the consistencies of your shots and it would take a hell of a lot for anyone to forgo this boost 

Infact, food, BiA, and vent are the only 3 ways for anyone to increase their accuracy in this game via boosting of gunner's skill level, and should alway be taken if possible.

Interesting replies. Thanks.

So, every tank should make use of it, and it comes down to the module layout/hp for each tank as to decide whether to drop medkit or fire extinguisher.

34 minutes ago, CarbonWard said:

Weenis talked about the benefits of food in terms of reload and VR, but in my opinion, the biggest advantage to running food is Accuracy.

Accuracy in-game is a stat that indicates to the radius of your aim circle at 100 meters, for example, an E5 with all modules has 0.33 accuracy without food, that means at 100 meters the surface area of its reticle is 0.34 square meters, with food, it lowers the accuracy to 0.31, this translate to a surface area of 0.3 square meters, thats a 12% decrease in surface area to aim circle alone, without even accounting for the increase in aimtime/dispersion.

This is a significant boost to the consistencies of your shots and it would take a hell of a lot for anyone to forgo this boost 

Infact, food, BiA, and vent are the only 3 ways for anyone to increase their accuracy in this game via boosting of gunner's skill level, and should alway be taken if possible.

I've recently put food on my T57 Heavy at the expense of a medkit and I think I can feel the difference in the gun handling. Dispersion and aim time were making me get so pissed when playing the T57 and I'm noticing a lot more shells are hitting thanks to being nearly fully aimed before the next shell in the clip is loaded.

I simply replace the Fire Extinguisher with food for every one of my tier9-10 tanks besides the 140. I even do it on my 113 now that I am training a firefighting crew, losing 500HP every thirty battles is not a big deal considering its buffs everywhere else. 

Contrary to expectation, I would argue that more aggression does not automatically mean more chance to be set on fire because of how armour efficiency scales proportionally to spots/game. This means that a player takes a greater percentage of shots to the front of his tank rather than the sides if he plays aggressively than if he plays passively.

I run food on any tank that it will benefit muh dpg for. Most tanks I replace fire extinguisher for food. But some like FV183 I replace both med kit and fire for double reps and food, same with conqueror. So basically every single tank I play, except CDC for some credit farming I just run standard fire/med/rep.

I highly reccomend double rep kits if the tank doesn't suffer crew injuries much.

yxE6lPh.jpg
I don't bother to use food on anything else, except a few tanks on occasion when I'd like to maximize performance over costs. The benefits of good positioning and play far outweigh the benefits of food in most cases, so I skip on it.

edit: fuck this site's ui, I can't get the fucking text out of the spoiler

-never drop rep kit for food. Either drop med kit (ideally with jack of all trades trained) or drop ext depending on how fire prone your tank is/ if you have fire resistant perks (I drop fire ext in my 215b because full firefighting/prevent maint)

-I run food on prettymuch literally everything tier 8+ because food is god tier 

10 hours ago, mereelskirata said:

I run food on most of my tanks. Tanks that rarely catch fire or only from the back I take off the fire extinguisher. If it's fuel tanks are in the front or along the whole side of the tank, I replace the med kit and train jack-of-all-trades.

This is what I do also.

Does the tank burn? Replace medkit (or use full firefighting crew and replace AFE). Does the tank not burn? Replace fire extinguisher

I run food on almost everything except the Obj 140:

• Dropping the extinguisher is out of the question even with 75% firefighting skill (no FF on commander).
  • I could drop repairs on the commander for Jack of All Trades, and optics for vents. Still, I'm not convinced that having 110% or 115% crew all the time would be worth suffering from a 50% crew member occasionaly. It depends on how often crew members die.
  • The commander has a propensity to die because of the upper turret weakness on the 140. When it happens, not only do you have a dead commander, but JoAT is useless.