garryallen

m24 chaffee appreciation thread

Going through this forum, I found a few threads on the t37, and the old chaffee, which was similar to the t37 as it is now. However, I saw nothing on the "new" chaffee, (yell at me if I'm wrong) which surprised me greatly, as the chaffee is a hidden gem on the us light tank line. It is probably a better pure scout than the elc, and its gun rips apart anything without armour, with dpm an elc could only dream of, and manoeuvrability that can make the elc look slow, and the little vk 1602 leopard look like a slug. It is the only good combat scout at tier 5 (elc is quite different to the "normal" combat scout), and is hilariously fun to play.

Firstly, the speed, acceleration, and manoeuvrability are unparalleled at tier 5, and even compared to high tier scouts like the lttb, bulldog and even the ru251, it remains amazingly good. It has the SECOND HIGHEST top speed among any tank (excluding ru251, correct me if I missed something) and the good ground resistances accentuate the 25hp/ton even further, while also having those typical american ridiculous traverse values. This tank flies around the battlefield, able to be where it needs to be and relocate in ways the leopard could only dream of. The traverse speed and straight line speed, as well as the turret, makes circling big dumb stupid heavies so easy.

Secondly, the view range and camo make it a great passive scout, and an AMAZING active scout. It has 380m view range, the same as the leopard and 20m more than the elc- view range is maxed out easily without the need for binoculars.The camouflage values, which is retained on the move are also quite good, though not elc levels. however, the extra view range means it can outspot almost any tier 5 6 or 7 tank, and only some of the tier 8 mediums come close (excluding scouts). With a camo crew, it becomes very easy to invisinipe tanks, as with optics and food if you feel like your view range alone leaves a decent window of invissniping oppurtunity without accounting for camo. with camo added, it is possible to have huge carries without getting spotted, unless the distance is closed by you. (you have the speed to keep at range), allowing the chaffee to win the late game easily.

Thirdly, THE GUN. While at first, it may not look that good, it is a gun that suits the tank. It is the only tier 5 light tank with good dpm- (leopard with 5cm is a turd, not a tank). The elc mounting the 90mm and the leopard with the mk 103 both only have around 1200 base dpm, while the chaffee has almost 2000, before crew skills or rammer. That's only 200 less than a cromwell. Also, the chaffee isn't like the elc, where the dpm is reduced by the awful gun handling. This tank has a 1.8 second aim time, and the same accuracy as a cromwell, at 0.35. However, the gun handling on the cromwell and elc is made worse by bad dispersion values, however the chaffee does not have that problem. It has 33% better dispersion than the cromwell on the move and after track traverse, 75% better on turning the turret, and a whopping 150% better dispersion on moving the turret than the elc amx. Plus is is one of the only tier 5 tanks, if not the only tier 5 tank, with vertical stabilisers, reducing dispersion even more. For a tier 5 tank, the gun handling on this is absolutely monstrous. While the pen is mediocre, the chaffee is more than fast enough to flank, and dabbing the 2 key (which is necessary quite a lot, but hey its tier 5, you're still gonna make monies) gives a decent pen boost. oh and ten degrees of gun depression mean this tank can poke ridgelines, and use its good dispersion to outaim opponents, snapping a shot off while they have only just started aiming.

so what does this all mean? 

It means we have a tank with very good mobility, very good scouting potential, and a very good gun that can shred apart enemies easily. it quickly became one of my favourite tanks, and i hope people agree with me when I say it is one of the most exhilarating tanks to drive.

oh and did i mention it craps out wn8?

i know this is starting to sound like a review but I love this tank soo much :)

anyways while i love this tank, I would like to hear what everyone else thinks of it, so please tell me about your experiences with the chaffee.

All true, yet still a tier 5 with a t37 sitting on top of it which makes a pretty straight upgrade in many respects. I guess if you enjoy low tier scouting it would make sense.

the speed though- t37 is a downgrade in that respect. its so much fun zooming everywhere at over 70km/h. and I'm holding back on buying the t37 until i get the first crew skill on my chaffee, as i want a good crew in it.

9 minutes ago, garryallen said:

the speed though- t37 is a downgrade in that respect. its so much fun zooming everywhere at over 70km/h. and I'm holding back on buying the t37 until i get the first crew skill on my chaffee, as i want a good crew in it.

The most noticeable upgrade was the gun. If you liked it on the chaffee... well it gets better... and you can mount a vstab. As you note tho, for pure hooning around maps, the chaffee is pretty damned fun.

The Chaffee is excellent at tier 5. What really stands out is having 380m view range on a tier 5. Unlike higher tier lights, the majority of the tanks the Chaffee faces have garbage view range combined with garbage crews and garbage equipment. This makes it one of the few tanks in the game that can still do vision control and camo abuse effectively despite retarded map design. You'll find yourself sitting in the open at 300 meters shooting tier 6/7 heavies without being lit.

As mentioned above, the mobility of the tank is very good making it a fun tank to drive. Good acceleration, good top speed, turns well, everything really. The gun is sufficient - it can put out a solid stream of shots and the gun handling is very pleasant (gotta love a VStab on a tier 5). The only real downfall is a crappy AP round (slow shell velocity and weak pen). This can be mitigated by carrying a healthy dose of APCR.

For fun times I recommend Optics+VStab+Rammer with cola and mostly APCR. Sure, you'll lose some credits but you have plenty of laughs while abusing pubbies.

I watched a chaffee on my team absolutely wreck an IS-3 the other day.  That in and of itself is not too surprising, what was amazing was that it was in a tight crowded ally on Stalingrad and the IS-3 driver was a 55% tanker.  The Chaffee was pure witchcraft, bobbing and weaving, bouncing half his shots but tracked the IS-3 several times.  Traded about 600-0 and left it tracked for an arty kill.

Tier 6 strongholds and the bulldog are what killed the chaffee for me.  I need two US LT crews for the 37 and the Dog, and there just isn't enough crew left to do a Chaffee justice, but it is a great tank. 

Yep, it's a great tank. Enjoyed it in pubs and have run it numerous times in tourneys. Even against tier 8 lights like the RU-251, the Chaffee went unnoticed until I took most of the RUs health by myself. Some people don't like the gun, but I think it's pretty good for tier 5.

12 hours ago, dualmaster333 said:

The Chaffee is excellent at tier 5. What really stands out is having 380m view range on a tier 5. Unlike higher tier lights, the majority of the tanks the Chaffee faces have garbage view range combined with garbage crews and garbage equipment. This makes it one of the few tanks in the game that can still do vision control and camo abuse effectively despite retarded map design. You'll find yourself sitting in the open at 300 meters shooting tier 6/7 heavies without being lit.

As mentioned above, the mobility of the tank is very good making it a fun tank to drive. Good acceleration, good top speed, turns well, everything really. The gun is sufficient - it can put out a solid stream of shots and the gun handling is very pleasant (gotta love a VStab on a tier 5). The only real downfall is a crappy AP round (slow shell velocity and weak pen). This can be mitigated by carrying a healthy dose of APCR.

For fun times I recommend Optics+VStab+Rammer with cola and mostly APCR. Sure, you'll lose some credits but you have plenty of laughs while abusing pubbies.

Yeah, while the t37 is better in a lot of respects, the view range and speed are so much more abusable at tier 5, due to worse players in lowerr tiers/ worse crews/ lower view range overall. Oh and 77km/h makes this thing hilarious, as well as the dispersion allowing you to wreck cromwells and other tier 6 meds- if they are moving, you will hit a lot more. apcr sprem makes so much rage too :P

11 minutes ago, westybig said:

chaffee is great until your trying to shoot the sides and rear of is3's

gave me aids

but yeah probly one of the most fun tanks in the game

Penned the side of slightly angled IS-3 at 500m twice in 4 shots :fish: 

U jelly?

10 hours ago, westybig said:

chaffee is great until your trying to shoot the sides and rear of is3's

gave me aids

but yeah probly one of the most fun tanks in the game

ehhh nothing can pen is3 anyways cause russia. but the 2 key helps a lot. kv4s however, rip

13 minutes ago, jacobhunter3006 said:

https://4stor.com/xS7h6

https://4stor.com/yzeKy

I found it quite amusing due to to amazing dpm, great speed/maneuverability, and great view range. Plus it looks cute :^)  

Man u 3 mark it in 65 games, and im sitting here with 2 moe after 110, going welp, I'm bad.

and it looks so cute :)

another improvement on the t37, which is kinda ugly

I instantly fell in love with that little bugger. It just feels like a light tank should running around flank people. Only weakness is the 90mm of pen, but the gunhandling and speed are just so beautiful.

I like it more then the T37 it feel so big and sluggish in comparison.

39 minutes ago, HappyIittlecloud said:

Only weakness is the 90mm of pen, but the gunhandling and speed are just so beautiful.

Don't forget that the 2 key is there for a reason. 143 or whatever is not that bad :)

On 8/6/2016 at 7:11 PM, jacobhunter3006 said:

https://4stor.com/xS7h6

https://4stor.com/yzeKy

I found it quite amusing due to to amazing dpm, great speed/maneuverability, and great view range. Plus it looks cute :^)

I'm thinking about rebuying this since it connects to the M41 and I don't have any american arty yet, but I haven't played it since it was rebalanced. Since you seem to have mastered the tank in its current state, can you say a bit about your playstyle in the Chaffee? Like what is your progression in a normal game where you're not top tier? Are you camo sniping a lot? Doing active scouting? Mostly waiting for cleanup on isolated tanks? Maybe post some replays?

I delete replays that are outdated on patch day so I actually don't have any chaffee replays (thanks WG). I would put myself in scouting positions early game that wouldn't allow me to be spotted and killed easily and that way I'm still alive in the late game cleanup stage. The biggest thing about the tank is to not get hit since it only has 440hp and a low pen gun. Since it's a light tank it is almost never top tier so you don't want to position yourself in spots you can't easily get out of and spots that put you up against frontal heavies and mediums. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, hope I helped.

Is its camo good enough in your experience to shoot from those early spotting positions without getting lit or are you generally just passively scouting there? Or does it just depend on the spot and map? What are you usually doing in the mid game (besides conserving HP)? Looking to set up crossfire for side shots? As you can see, I'm relatively new to light tanks, but want to play them more since I'm good in my mediums.

its depends on the mm i think. ion a tier 6, your camo is often good enough to shoot from places like the prok e1 bush, or from over 350m, but at tier 8 the view ranges are too high for you to shoot until you are at 425m away from them and you know no one is closer. generally don't shoot unless you know you won't be spotted, due to low hp and low alpha/pen, or if you know that no one is looking at you and you won't be hit. i think orzanel has two chaffee replays on youtube that show when to fire. he only fires when he is not going to be spotted, or when he won't be hit. im not a unicum by far, but i hoped it helped.

Been trying to three mark it lately with the dubious combination of a ghetto crew (no sixth sense yet) and a full blown tryhard loadout of 100% apcr and cola. 93% currently, hopefully i won't fuck up really badly.

Due to the lack of sixth sense, I generally try to maneuver so that the enemy is close to the edge of the max view range circle. In t6/t7 most of the time this is a quite safe guarantee that they won't be able to spot you back, allowing you to snipe leisurely.

General strategy:

1. Opening moves: find a good early position, spot, snipe if you're safe, try to make sure your team gets in some dmg too (e.g. spotbushes on Arctic Region, g7 on erlenberg assault etc)
  2. If the team pushes, support the push by sniping then going in to flank/distract/harass the enemy to make sure the push breaks through
  3. If push fails/there is no push/you're defending Siegfried Line assault, kemp bush and chai snipe
  4. clean up leftovers if it's a win, give arta some surprise buttsex
  5. ????
  6. profit (negative 60k)

Professional LT players do correct me, this is my first LT so I'm probably doing lots of things wrong

I really enjoyed the Chaffee but found the T37 to be a bit meh, really. Ridiculously huge LT with relatively slow acceleration makes you too easy a target when lit.

8 hours ago, sohojacques said:

I really enjoyed the Chaffee but found the T37 to be a bit meh, really. Ridiculously huge LT with relatively slow acceleration makes you too easy a target when lit.

yeah chaffee > t37 imo, also because of the fact it's tier 5. You also get vstabs and 390m base VR at tier 5... that's a recipe for disaster for the enemy.

Just spam gold at everyfrakingthing, not just because of 97 lolpen but because of reeeeeaaaaaaalllllyyyyyy sloooooooowwwwww standard shell velocity.