Balron

Need mentor for t8 tanks in t10 battles; paying 2500 gold

I am currently getting crazy over Panther II grind. I am doing terribly bad in it and seeing all those t10 tanks makes me feel desperate from the very first minute of match. 

I was doing great with t6 and t7 of this line (at least in context of my own skill), so I was hoping I could make this work, but no... it's extremely painful. 

I am looking for an unicum player that could take a look at few replays and then maybe platoon/chat/whatever with me and actually teach me how to play. 

No idea what are the reates etc. but we can talk about this, offering 2500gold for start :)

edit: Uploaded some example replays:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/2870774?secret=b5669644701be3b1c90f18308890514f

http://wotreplays.eu/site/2870775?secret=b5669644701be3b1c90f18308890514f

In all honesty buddy, what you are searching for "... and actually teach me how to play " is not something a person is just given. By looking at good players on youtube or even streams, you'll be able to get and learn way more, than some person spending an hour with you on TS could give. Sure you can get tips and tricks on what to do and what not to do, and sure he can tell you where you went wrong from looking at a replay. But it's all about intuition, awareness and knowledge and that stuff can't be bought. But like I said these can be achieved just as good if not better from watching good players on youtube or streams. Anyways good luck with it!

Well I am in this game (with long breaks) for ~3 years, got almost 9000 games, watched hours of replays/streams and I am still struggling. I must be dumb. Therefore I would like to try another approach.

The fact, that I am still bad even after such a huge time investment, makes me even more mad :)

1) Safe that money and buy yourself some beers instead!

2) In the last 2 years t8 became the new t4 with a few exceptions.

3) The Panther II is already bad at t8 against t10s ... nope, don't want to think about it.

Conclusion: Either squint your buttocks and grind through it or shell out some freeXP. Once you have the 10.5cm on the E50 your outlook on life will change quite a bit.

31 minutes ago, Balron said:

Well I am in this game (with long breaks) for ~3 years, got almost 9000 games, watched hours of replays/streams and I am still struggling. I must be dumb. Therefore I would like to try another approach.

The fact, that I am still bad even after such a huge time investment, makes me even more mad :)

It's normal to see people with 40k + matches that still play like it's their first battle, so in all honesty battle amount got nothing to do with it if you don't try to learn about the game mechanics, weak spots, how to do handle heated situations and carry your team. Some people go full in and just want to do the last bit of damage when they are outnumbered, instead of thinking through the situation and actually going for track shots to take out targets etc. There is way more to this game than the majority will ever think about. For the majority of the "community" it's all about aim at and enemy tank and click and hope for pen, instead of actually trying to outsmart their opponent and create situations that enhances their own chance of winning and carrying the team and make openings that will split the enemy team, and thus make openings for the rest of your team.

When it comes to the Panther II, like already mentioned it's not the best of tanks. Play it like a sniper when against higher tiers, and prepare to shoot gold when facing them head to hear... Again against higher tiers you have to try and create a situation where you can get up on their side or behind them. 

Watch some youtube replays then hope in on some stream (but I doubt anyone keeps P2 in the garage and plays it), and then try to improve.

P2 is shit, like nothing that others can't do better, so i think games goes like this.

In T8 match you are smart and farming lower tiers and distracted 8s. in 9s you wait for sneaky shots and in t10 you again wait some more for T7/8 scouts, and others peasants in T8. And don't die, it's cliche but if you die you can't do shit. And teammates will fail you, so carefully follow big tanks, fire when enemy reloads and use combat reserves to pass that shit asap.

Also, you have a good crew and food on it? 

Thanks for the replies guys. What Folterknecht said probably helped the most :) 

I know I should try to play just like sniper support in t10, but most of the maps make this almost impossible... you can either wait for your allies to die (so enemies can get into sniping range) or get closer and die, as suddenly everyone likes to focus easy target. Result of staying back is often "0 dmg" game, because it's either your t10s steamrolling enemies or enemies steamrolling your allies and then you suddenly see 5 t10 driving at you. 

In t8 games.. I sometimes do well, but other times you are just this huge slow and almost paper tank, that's unable to escape bad position (e.g. when your 5 allies die to 3 enemy tanks and u r left alone etc.).

I have crew with 2 skills, I am using personal reserves with premium account, so I am already at 80k xp with it... I am trying to play it only because of the top of the tree crew bonus, so I at least prepare the crew for E 50.

Check out skill4tus twitch channel, he recently grinded panther 2 so  you should be able to find him playing it at quite a decent level.

https://www.twitch.tv/skill4ltu/profile

Other than that, 2 mistakes i see players make often with tanks like these, they sit too far back so they only get a few shots off if their team dies or they poke out in front of 1+ loaded guns and get rekt. Actively keep finding people to shoot at who are distracted so you can let your DPM work for a while, try to track them so you can keep punishing them. Other than this Folter covered the topic of t8 nicely:minglee:

Took a look at the reps and basicly in game #1 you got ultrashit MM, they have the t10 heavy to push the heavy area, you lose mapcontrol -> you lose. shot at the is3 was nice, unlucky with arty there. After that shot you just seem confused tbh, going back to defend a base that doesn't need defending yet and facing a BC + 2 other t8s as a result which is instadeath in a p2. Try to stick with the other friendly tanks, they were kinda trying to push to the enemy base, and its allways nice to jump in an ongoing fight because that usually just gives you free damage.

Game #2 you're just sitting in an utterly useless position, doing nothing but waiting for shots which are most likely not going to happen. You looked where the team was going at the start which is good, you decided most tanks were going to the left side which is good, and the decided to snipe there or something which is terrible. Go with your meds and poke tanks that are looking the other way looking in 3rd person to make sure nobody is aiming at you, you would probably still have lost but at least done a lot more yourself. Now you just sat there and waited untill their t10 meds were ready to come and fuck you up,

This may seem harsh, but i think you can improve a lot very easily.

Edited by vernl

Thanks for the stream link, will give that a try.

In the meantime: Just now, I had my typical t10 game in Panther II: http://wotreplays.eu/site/2870941?secret=b5669644701be3b1c90f18308890514f

What I think: At start.. I definitely didn't want to go to city to face IS-7 (or any other heavier tank). So I was like "yea, let's do this sniping support thing"... went west, tried to snipe something.. then noticed IS-7. At that point, I understood that flank is gonna be hard... so I tried to go back a bit... another attempt at sniping (no, I won't snipe bulldog at 500m range)... then I died alone.

Only thing that I can think of is: You should have left that part of map when you saw that IS-7 (was obvious his mate will be there as well). Probably go to city and try to wander around there?

Yep, again pretty useless opening position imo, middle is the most usefull to try and take potshots at mediums/scouts in this map. It is pretty hard to play though especially from this side. You figured out that city was pretty much open on their side so why not go there, and kill whatever tanks you meed with the support of your team. You pretty much did the same as in replay #2, waiting for the guys in front of you to die before dieing yourself. If this is all the MM you get the panther 2 is an awfull tank, it's really really hard to get your team to push somewhere/do something when they're being passive shitlords.

23 minutes ago, vernl said:

This may seem harsh, but i think you can improve a lot very easily.

Not harsh at all. Thanks for checking them out. My only question to "you can improve" is "HOW?".

I am trying to go with team most of the times.. also learning to check the team composition every time. But besides that... something is still missing.

For that g2.. I wanted to stay back, because I knew I won't be able to damage them (esp. T62a) and they would be hitting me every time I peek that ridge. I ended up in bad position and tank was just too slow to retreat.

2 minutes ago, Balron said:

Not harsh at all. Thanks for checking them out. My only question to "you can improve" is "HOW?".

I am trying to go with team most of the times.. also learning to check the team composition every time. But besides that... something is still missing.

For that g2.. I wanted to stay back, because I knew I won't be able to damage them (esp. T62a) and they would be hitting me every time I peek that ridge. I ended up in bad position and tank was just too slow to retreat.

Well that is the trick kinda, when enemies are engaged in a fight allready they usually don't pay you any attention untill they get hit and even then they might tunnelvision. Use 3rd person view to keep track of where their guns are aiming, especially for heavies with longer reload keep track of then they have fired, and poke when they're not paying attention or when they're on reload. I think it was Kewei who wrote an article about the art of not getting shot/not drawing attention, it's somewhere on these forums. You can pen more than you think btw, shoot flat (turret)sides, lowerfrontplates, upperfrontplates when you're above them by quite a bit, trackwheels, their asses etc. You probably dont even have to fire prem rounds that much, but it will make your life easier.

10 minutes ago, vernl said:

Yep, again pretty useless opening position imo, middle is the most usefull to try and take potshots at mediums/scouts in this map. It is pretty hard to play though especially from this side. You figured out that city was pretty much open on their side so why not go there, and kill whatever tanks you meed with the support of your team. You pretty much did the same as in replay #2, waiting for the guys in front of you to die before dieing yourself. If this is all the MM you get the panther 2 is an awfull tank, it's really really hard to get your team to push somewhere/do something when they're being passive shitlords.

I am afraid to go middle when I am bottom tier in slow tank. I am often getting shot at there (would also expect to meet batchat..). 

Also "waiting for others to die"... yea that's how it ended up, but what else would I do at that flank? When I get closer (so I can actually have some shots), i will be lighted up immediately and get shot by all the tanks in the back. I don't know about good support position at that flank when they do not peek :(

Well that is the trick kinda, when enemies are engaged in a fight allready they usually don't pay you any attention untill they get hit and even then they might tunnelvision. Use 3rd person view to keep track of where their guns are aiming, especially for heavies with longer reload keep track of then they have fired, and poke when they're not paying attention or when they're on reload. I think it was Kewei who wrote an article about the art of not getting shot/not drawing attention, it's somewhere on these forums. You can pen more than you think btw, shoot flat (turret)sides, lowerfrontplates, upperfrontplates when you're above them by quite a bit, trackwheels, their asses etc. You probably dont even have to fire prem rounds that much, but it will make your life easier.

This sounds shitty even to me, but I'll write it anyway: "I know about this and I am doing it quite often" - I mean the part where I check if tanks do not pay attention to me and that's when I peek. Or shooting flat surfaces, lowerfrontplates and tracks to stop them. I guess I am just not getting into these positions with P2 maybe? Didn't have issues with this... but it feels like t10 games are just totally new area (at least with this tank).

Well.. I do not know.. this feels pretty dumb, when you are helping me here and I hear about things that I thought I were doing for quite some time and I can't really write "oh, thanks, didn't know about it"... I already heard/seen/did most of that at some point of a game.. so I do not understand why I am not able to do well with it now.

or .. maybe I just think I am doing it :)

The Panther 2 is always going to be slog. It doesn't really have a lot going for it or a specific role. You just have to take it to the flanks that are leats corridor like and shoot things without getting shot back- its got decent bloom, dpm and pen for  a tier 8 medium (still not very good) so you'll pick up some damage from it.

I wouldn't other getting a panther 2 mentor just because it doesn't need any specific skills. Not much armour, no camo to abuse, no depression, its generic generic generic. 

Yea you are right. However I was thinking about it more like generic mentor. Someone who could help me eliminate my bad plays. Maybe I am just looking for some kind of "magical skill pill" which you guys seem to use :)

Every time I see these 'damage whore sessions' posted, all I caan think of is "omg, how does he do it? I am so bad."

Actually it might be a good tank to learn from. Everything you get you have to make yourself. Theres definitely no skill pill. It takes time and a lot of effort. I can't be bothered actively getting better anymore so I've stagnated for the last 5k battles.

You should install the direction box mod. http://modsforwot.com/mod-direction-of-the-nearest-enemy-for-wot/

After a while you won't need it, but what it does is tell you when and where you have shots that you might otherwise not have been aware of.

Also, it tells you if enemies have shots on you that you might not be aware of. So you can either shoot them or move your position so you don't get wrecked.

It will help you learn faster, and like I said, you won't need it after a while since you will have a sense of where all the little places are that you can get sneaky shots, but overall it's a great learning tool to increase situational awareness.

1.jpg

I don't know if you're still working on the Panther II, but I'm grinding it as well, and I find it fairly comfy (as I have all the tanks in this line).  I'm not saying it's a good tank, but, for some reason, it works well enough for me.  

I'd be happy to 'toon with you if you see me on when you are.  We can grind them together, and you can see what I do (if only to learn what not to do).  Frien' me and holler if you want.