WhymeLyu

An Attempt to Bring You Vehicle Role (w/ XVM Config)

Tank role is a thing. Even Wargaming knows this and may implement it in the game someday. So, let's give it a try today maybe?

Right now I'm trying to implement this in the easiest way:

• Steal Wargaming's vehicle role definition
  • Represent each vehicle role with a single character
  • Show the vehicle character via XVM's py_macro extensibility (implemented in 6.3.0, kinda new stuff)

With my own XVM config it looks like this for now:

vrole.png

Here's my rough definition for each class in case you (probably) don't know what it means:

H: heavium, assault tank
  C: cavalry, "true" medium tank
  S: scout
  F: mobile fire support
  D: dreadnaught, slow brick
  <space>: other stuff, including arty

Here's now you can try with this stuff:

Prerequisites

• You have XVM installed
  • You know how to edit XVM config files

Installation

• Download this file and put it in your ``<wot>/res_mods/configs/xvm/py_macro/'' folder.
  • Modify your XVM config like this:
    • Define an extra field for player panel
    • Add the field to your favorite mode of player panel
    • You might want to adjust the x and y values so that the vehicle role character doesn't overlap with anything else in your player panel. Hint: you can test it by watching a replay instead of actually going into battles.

This whole implementation is surely pretty immature. But I'd like to post it to the world here anyway just to see how you fine Wotlabs folks would make this actually useful.

Edited by WhymeLyu
speling

I don't think tank roles would be very useful information to use FOR ME while playing the game.  Plus, I don't use xvm anyway :)

Might be useful for a brand new player learning the game, but even 1400 wn8 players have an idea of what role a certain tank can perform in game.

Never actually fiddled much with my config, but can you grab different metrics by tank type? Ie use wn8 for damage dealers, then use other stuff for scouts etc?

8 hours ago, Shifty_101st said:

I don't think tank roles would be very useful information to use FOR ME while playing the game.  Plus, I don't use xvm anyway :)

Might be useful for a brand new player learning the game, but even 1400 wn8 players have an idea of what role a certain tank can perform in game.

For me personally, it's more about ease of use than learning what a tank is capable of.

Before I started messing with XVM configs, I was using a contour icon mod to identify vehicle types easier -- TDs are in color blue, heavies are in scary red. You can get a good guess of how the game might be going with a quick glance.

Later I ditched contour icon for XVM's {{c:vtype}}, which is still in use now as seen in the screenshot. But I always have to do the math like "they have 3 tier 10 heavies while 2 of them are 50B so let's make it 1" or "we do have an advantage of mediums but most of them are TD with turrets". With this vehicle role thing it helps take off a little bit of cognitive load for me.

3 hours ago, Ezz said:

Never actually fiddled much with my config, but can you grab different metrics by tank type? Ie use wn8 for damage dealers, then use other stuff for scouts etc?

Yes and no, depends on what the "other stuff" is.

Custom py_macro scripts are running in an isolated environment. Not everything(accessing file system is a no-no, and I don't believe doing networks things would work, too) can be done here. But it should be pretty easy to just show alternative stats provided within XVM. I might give it a shot after I finished procrastinating while being paid today (7 hours to go).

11 hours ago, Shifty_101st said:

Agreed...I don't see the benefit here. Also, I don't like confining certain tanks to particular roles.