And Damn! if she ain't purdy .......

speed 30 knots

Main guns 19.9 km

reload 20 seconds

AA with AFT 62

56,600 HP

$42.99  USD

have to go to work but will play later .... tbc

Now that I own a Scharnhorst on the live server and don't have to worry about NDA, I can talk about her a bit.

If you're good with cruiser AP, you'll love Scharnhorst.  The skills from the German and Russian cruiser line translate well to this ship.  You need to know when to aim for belt (basically, only cruisers), and when to aim for freeboard/superstructure (other battleships...or side shots on bow for all-or-nothing US BB).  The AP wrecks destroyers, has a wickedly high velocity, and is an overall great ship.  However, if you need those big citadel hits to win battleship duels, this isn't the ship for you.

Ignore battleships unless they're your only target, angle off against them, and shoot at destroyers and cruisers early.  Later in the game, this thing is a terror.  Many of the battleships you'll fight can't outrun you, and you can point your bow at them, charge right in, and bully them with all of your weapons.  If you get them to extinguish a fire from secondaries or main battery, and then hit them with 3 torps, they're done.  If you can live with a battleship that doesn't live on the big-hit salvos, then you'll enjoy Scharnhorst.

While the battlecruiser playstyle sounds very appealing, I'm struggling to see the justification for buying this if you already have a Tirpitz. Is there any reason to?

43 minutes ago, Shade421 said:

While the battlecruiser playstyle sounds very appealing, I'm struggling to see the justification for buying this if you already have a Tirpitz. Is there any reason to?

Not particularly, they're pretty similar, although the Scharn's unique armament and the fact that it doesn't see tier 10 can be appealing.

4 minutes ago, Mesrith said:

the fact that it doesn't see tier 10 can be appealing.

That is the only reason I did not buy the tirpitz instead. I don't care how much better it is, Fuck tier 10 gameplay.

she seems really good at dealing with DD's CL's and lower tier BB's but with Tirpitz's and NC (and the tier IX), if angled i just spam HE, works better then i thought. Very dangerous to DD's that think they can yolo you. Fast reload, fast turret travers, torps, decent secondaries and a fast rudder shift means you can avoid torps and wreck then pretty fast, just had a full HP Hatsu think i could take me on... nope.

3 hours ago, xWulffx said:

TROLOLOLOLOLOL!latest?cb=20120208073248

best way to counter torps is to wait till they go broadside, keep your speed for a few seconds, then kill it,. Usually the launch all of there load torps at once, so they just glide by harmlessly 

Got it, played 4 matches in it, like it a lot. It's like the Tirpitz but purified; a true battlecruiser. I lost all 4 matches of course. Because what else do you do when soloing late night on NA in anything other than DD's? Played one match in the Tirpitz for comparison. Tier 10. GG.

17 hours ago, Shade421 said:

Got it, played 4 matches in it, like it a lot. It's like the Tirpitz but purified; a true battlecruiser.

battlecruiser... triggered

its not really a battlecruiser, its more of a fast battleship with smaller, faster reloading guns. Its very odd since it was only build to counter the Dunker, which is also a weird one, since it was build to counter the Panzerschiff... which were also weird. Basically it was a one up game between the French and the German, and it didnt follow the "standards"  of ship building at that time. By that time, there were really no more battlecruisers being build since fast BB's could  perform much the same role, the only exception would be the Alaska class, but even then, they only had 12" guns while the Iowa's had 16" (generally speaking battlecruiser before the Washington treaty had the same guns as BB's but less armor for more speed).

I think, im sure someone will correct me

9 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

its not really a battlecruiser, its more of a fast battleship with smaller, faster reloading guns. Its very odd since it was only build to counter the Dunker, which is also a weird one, since it was build to counter the Panzerschiff... which were also weird. Basically it was a one up game between the French and the German, and it didnt follow the "standards"  of ship building at that time. By that time, there were really no more battlecruisers being build since fast BB's could  perform much the same role, the only exception would be the Alaska class, but even then, they only had 12" guns while the Iowa's had 16" (generally speaking battlecruiser before the Washington treaty had the same guns as BB's but less armor for more speed).

Technically the Germans built battlecruisers differently than the English, the English traded armor for speed while the Germans traded guns for speed, so this fits with their battlecruiser doctrine

3 hours ago, Shade421 said:

As far as WoWS game play goes, its a big, heavier armed cruiser. Battlecruiser. I dont play these games for the historical aspect.

even if you wanted to play a more historical game WT only gives you boats

:kappa:

34 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

Didn't "we" have this discussion before about battle cruisers vs BBs ect before and how it all gets a little hairy and complicated with defining these "hybrid" ships.  Maybe that's why WG made the Scharny a premium tank because it realle doesn't fit in anywhere, sorta like they're doing with the Dunkerque. 

3 hours ago, xWulffx said:

Didn't "we" have this discussion before about battle cruisers vs BBs ect before and how it all gets a little hairy and complicated with defining these "hybrid" ships.  Maybe that's why WG made the Scharny a premium tank because it realle doesn't fit in anywhere, sorta like they're doing with the Dunkerque. 

dont remember, maybe

Battlescruisers proper is really an English thing, with the Japanese getting some in. Ingame, only GB and the Germans could have a fully fleshed out Battlescruiser line without too many paper projects

Scharnhorst is the closest thing to a T-54 or Type 59 in WOWS. Against DDs you should shoot AP for 2 reasons. The low AP pen means you can get normal pens when a DD is angled (~2100 damage per) plus AP over pen is 720 damage, where HE normal damage is 540. So its a win/win situation. Also, you can flex map edge to map edge and make a real difference. (Tirpitz is similar in that way) The guns are weird and will take some getting used to. You can't just aim just below water line and get Citadels on everything. You will switch your aim point depending on range. from top of hull to middle of hull and at very close range to water line or just below. The dispersion will make you throw things at times. 

13 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

I define a Batllecruiser the same way that in WoT we define a heavium. Either a fast heavy or a stronkly armored medium counts. Same concept. Any mix of cruiser and BB parts slammed into one counts as a battlecruiser to me.

So then, what's the difference between a heavy cruiser, battlecruiser, pocket battleship, and fast battleship? :drunk:

Fast BB is NC/Iowa/Montana class (all 1938+ build us BBs)  They have the all or nothing Armor classification and only the US made them. 

Heavy CA were generally 8 inch gun cruisers.

Pocket BB are generally Heavy CA's with BB guns (IE 11 inch guns of Lutzow, Deuchland class)

BC's are nation dependent. They are generally similar to US fast BB's but had less tonnage. Germany made them with BB hulls and smaller guns, GB made them with big guns, CA armor)