Sign in to follow this  
Treeburst

Post nerf O-I Appreciation thread

Well, I'm celebrating my new status as a "don't give a fuck" blue, having thoroughly ruined my stats chasing the T-55. So I decided to try to grind out marks on the OI. The tank is still quite a beast, in my opinion. I'm not certain what they nerfed on it, since I didn't really play but a handful of games on it before the nerf.

Honestly... I play this tank and this song plays in my head constantly. I'm not quite sure HOW I've managed to pull off this kind of win percentage in this bastard, but I'm going to leave my games here tonight just to give folks an idea of what this puppy can do on a decent night. Note, I played like garbage on the Ensk game, the handful of other games I've had on that map in that dream situation (top tier) were 3K+ damage games.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2879924#westfield-treeburst-o-i

http://wotreplays.com/site/2879925#abbey-treeburst-o-i

http://wotreplays.com/site/2879926#ensk-treeburst-o-i

http://wotreplays.com/site/2879927#el_halluf-treeburst-o-i

http://wotreplays.com/site/2879928#siegfried_line-treeburst-o-i

Games 1 and 5 are the best, damage-wise. My overall win rate in the O-I actually went DOWN after this set of 5... crazy shit. Anyway, my average damage is up to 1100ish over the past week or so (from around 950)... the O-I really seems to be a good "thinking man's" tank. The 3 ammo types are all perfectly usable depending on the situation, so having the foresight to know what you are going to be shooting at in 20 seconds is a valuable skill. I have a LOT of HEAT loaded, but in practice I rarely use it. It doesn't really matter since the O-I is never going to run out of ammo in a game. I typically shoot AP when top or mid tier, and HE when I'm going to be shooting at tier 8s. I know in theory it is possible to overmatch the roofs of certain tanks (IS-3, T29, T32, T34) but I haven't managed it in practice yet. This is also a tank that you can shoot down at engine decks given the right opportunity, which I also don't typically take advantage of. It is a great tank for just playing the game and not really worrying about winning or losing... it seems that if you pull your weight you'll win more often than not in this. Not always, as game 1 shows... but even then it was winnable with better decision making on my part.

fuck that tank fuck everyone who plays it and fuck who ever thought it would be a good addition to the game. I hope everyone that plays it get pummeled by m44 heat and the person who thought this cancer tank would be a good idea gets fired.

Not only its cancer to play against, its cancer to play aswell (you know that this must be something when this comes from person who likes to play big boxes and likes derp guns). Derping is fun, but 23 sec reload with rammer isnt. Being completely reliant to more or less unangleable armor (because unlike tier 7-10 Jap heavies O-I doesnt have particurarly high health) doesnt make it any better, either. I guess it would be okay but it needs probably crazy good crew and foods. Fuck O-I, O-Ho master race.

It just should be tier 7 with 1,5k - 1,6k HP, option to mount top 10cm, and soft stats of O-Ni, and it would be much better. Think like O-Ni that trades frontal armor for more trollish armor layout, higher top speed and probably marginally better gun stats if needed.

I have to admit I'm puzzled at the "OPOP" reaction. I don't find the O-I to be particularly challenging to play against, the side armor is non-existent and beating the front armor is as easy as hitting 2,2 for most tanks tier 5 and up. 

The long (that's an understatement) reload is a drag, but lends itself to thinking, which is a nice change of pace (for me at least). I am planning on moving up the line to at least the O-Ho, but I doubt I'll get there for a while at the pace I play nowadays. 

6 hours ago, SkittlesOfSteeI said:

fuck that tank fuck everyone who plays it and fuck who ever thought it would be a good addition to the game. I hope everyone that plays it get pummeled by m44 heat and the person who thought this cancer tank would be a good idea gets fired.

they take the kv2, a tank that gives up everything- armour, speed turrte traverse, view range- to earn the retarded derp gun. And then they say fuck it and give it the best armour in tier and make it better in every way.

The KV-2 is subtly different from the O-I though, in my opinion. 

The O-I is a fucking boat, the KV-2 is quite nimble in comparison. I think the KV-2 is stronger than the O-I as a bottom or mid tier tank, and the O-I is stronger as a top tier tank. 

I don't know, maybe the O-I is broken. I'm certainly winning well above my average (with the small sample size caveat). Arty seems like a broken mechanic to me that is unfun to play and unfun to play against. The O-I (for me at least) is fun to play and not unduly challenging (or unfun, for that matter) to play against. 

Assuming the rest of the line plays similarly, I can see it being fun to play. It is certainly very different from damn near everything else I've played in the game, and I've played most of it. 

20 minutes ago, Treeburst said:

Assuming the rest of the line plays similarly, I can see it being fun to play. It is certainly very different from damn near everything else I've played in the game, and I've played most of it. 

Thats one reason i like the line aswell. I got tier 5, 8 and 10 on my garage, and will probably buy tier 7 back and try to 3 mark it.

Tier 7: much higher HP tier-for-tier, better soft stats and ability to mount improved 10cm. Has -10 depression on front and sides, which is nice. However, boobs are weaker than hull and general shape of hull is annoying (sides are extremely weak; for some reason feels weaker than O-I). Turret sides are also pretty weak unlike other JP heavies.

Not bad, not amazing. If you like O-I you likely enjoy this too.

Tier 8: Absolutely hilarous because it gets 60% faster reload (13,5 sec when you have everything) than O-I with derp, very nice gun handling and ability to mount vstabs which only improves already good bloom values. Armor is all around little tougher than tier 7 tier-for-tier, but HP is not as high (only 150 higher while being tier higher). Miniturrets and cheeks are again as strong as front. On downside, depression on front extremely poor and assymmetrically depress more on right than left, which means that this tank has to fight with right side whenever possible. Does also get 10cm, but its very ineffective when not top tier and in general not even close as fun/unique as derp. 

My favorite tank in the game for good reason. I got 1,8k DPG, 1700 battles and 3 marks on it :D 

Tier 9: Very slow. On hard ground doesnt feel much slower than other Jap heavies but everywhere else when other JP heavies can reach 25 easily, Type 4 struggles to hit even 20. Gun has very very good alpha, but thats pretty much it. Pen is okay, but gold pen is bad, accuracy, aim time and DPM are among worst its class/tier, and it doesnt even have good dispersion on move/turning like earlier jap heavies. Cheeks are very weak; avoid sidescraping, and instead poke from corners with front. Ammorack is everywhere. Depression is -10 almost everywhere, which is nice. 

Used to be total garbage, 9.15 made it better but its still not great. Has its own unusual playstyle; avoid playing it like E-75 or other tier 9 heavies.

Tier 10: Now goes 25 reliably again, which is nice. Armor is worse tier-for-tier and gun is same but the fact it has 2,9k HP and better mobility makes it alone better tank. I recommend using some gold because AP pen is pretty meh in its tier, and act that like it had good regular AP pen but has no gold ammo. DPM is not too bad, and while raw accuracy sucks gun handling sure is much better than tier 9. Depression is -10 literally everywhere, which is great.

Also used to be pretty bad, but 9.15 made it notably more enjoyable. It still isnt particurarly good tank, but can be fun to play and gets too bad reputation, imo. Like tier 9, has pretty weird playstyle and if you play it like E100 or Maus you fail badly.

Here is my full review for the line if interested @Treeburst

and here is dedicated guide for O-Ho:

14 hours ago, SkittlesOfSteeI said:

The person who thought this cancer tank would be a good idea also thought that M44 heat would be a good idea.

Checkmate.

7 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Thats one reason i like the line aswell. I got tier 5, 8 and 10 on my garage, and will probably buy tier 7 back and try to 3 mark it.

Tier 7: much higher HP tier-for-tier, better soft stats and ability to mount improved 10cm. Has -10 depression on front and sides, which is nice. However, boobs are weaker than hull and general shape of hull is annoying (sides are extremely weak; for some reason feels weaker than O-I). Turret sides are also pretty weak unlike other JP heavies.

Tier 8: Absolutely hilarous because it gets 60% faster reload (13,5 sec when you have everything) than O-I with derp, very nice gun handling and ability to mount vstabs which only improves already good bloom values. Armor is all around little tougher than tier 7 tier-for-tier, but HP is not as high (only 150 higher while being tier higher). Miniturrets and cheeks are again as strong as front. On downside, depression on front extremely poor and assymmetrically depress more on right than left, which means that this tank has to fight with right side whenever possible. Does also get 10cm, but its very ineffective when not top tier and in general not even close as fun/unique as derp. 

My favorite tank in the game for good reason. I got 1,8k DPG, 1700 battles and 3 marks on it :D 

Tier 9: Very slow. On hard ground doesnt feel much slower than other Jap heavies but everywhere else when other JP heavies can reach 25 easily, Type 4 struggles to hit even 20. Gun has very very good alpha, but thats pretty much it. Pen is okay, but gold pen is bad, accuracy, aim time and DPM are among worst its class/tier, and it doesnt even have good dispersion on move/turning like earlier jap heavies. Cheeks are very weak; avoid sidescraping, and instead poke from corners with front. Ammorack is everywhere. Depression is -10 almost everywhere, which is nice. 

Used to be total garbage, 9.15 made it better but its still not great. Has its own unusual playstyle; avoid playing it like E-75 or other tier 9 heavies.

Tier 10: Now goes 25 reliably again, which is nice. Armor is worse tier-for-tier and gun is same but the fact it has 2,9k HP and better mobility makes it alone better tank. I recommend using some gold because AP pen is pretty meh in its tier, and act that like it had good regular AP pen but has no gold ammo. DPM is not too bad, and while raw accuracy sucks gun handling sure is much better than tier 9. Depression is -10 literally everywhere, which is great.

Also used to be pretty bad, but 9.15 made it notably more enjoyable. It still isnt particurarly good tank, but can be fun to play and gets too bad reputation, imo. Like tier 9, has pretty weird playstyle and if you play it like E100 or Maus you fail badly.

Here is my full review for the line if interested @Treeburst

and here is dedicated guide for O-Ho:

So basically, the IX and Xs play like T95 with turrets? Or just slower T30s?

1 hour ago, OperatorError said:

The person who thought this cancer tank would be a good idea also thought that M44 heat would be a good idea.

Checkmate.

I wasn't aware that m44s completely ruin strongholds.

Tier 9 can be said as T95 that trades some front armor, pen, damage and low height for turret, more health, more depression and higher top speed.

Type 5 goes 25 lot more reliably than Type 4, so T95 comparison isnt as good. 

Tier 9 can be said as T95 that trades some front armor, pen, damage and low height for turret, more health, more depression and higher top speed.

3 minutes ago, SkittlesOfSteeI said:

I wasn't aware that m44s completely ruin strongholds.

Ruins stronks or not, M44 HEAT is extremely cancerous aswell. And FV304 is still aids.

Tier 6 would be so much better if they just did something for O-I and thise two arties...

WHAT DA FUG WHY MY POST GOT TRIPLED WITHIN ONE POST?

This thing murdered fast bois,

Just another cancerous tank to play against with pubbies in tier 6 strongholds. You thought breaking hell camps was hard enough with T-150s, KV 2s, KV 85s, and VK 3601s, better add another steaming pile of broken shit to the mix but with 50% more armor, and more view range to spot for itself. The tank is aids.

9 hours ago, Treeburst said:

The KV-2 is subtly different from the O-I though, in my opinion. 

The O-I is a fucking boat, the KV-2 is quite nimble in comparison. I think the KV-2 is stronger than the O-I as a bottom or mid tier tank, and the O-I is stronger as a top tier tank. 

I don't know, maybe the O-I is broken. I'm certainly winning well above my average (with the small sample size caveat). Arty seems like a broken mechanic to me that is unfun to play and unfun to play against. The O-I (for me at least) is fun to play and not unduly challenging (or unfun, for that matter) to play against. 

And it exists at tier 6, aka FASTBOIS tier where it will always be top-tier. Minus the obvious frustration of facing a 7 OI hellcamp on ruinberg vs this bullshit (tier 6 stage of full campaign, fun) you also have to take into account that the amount of APCR spent trying to kill one of these really digs into the profits of fastbois, on top of making games slower and significantly duller (and more frustrating when RNGesus decides to full-pen HE into your Cromwell turret)

12 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

Simple solution: Fit 3.7inch Howitzer to Cromwell, stay at range, pretend to be artillery.

- if O-I has binocs or something like that, outspotting them isnt as easy, and its not possible to outspot them on some maps

- if you dont hit on correct spot good luck soing damage

- every else situation than against camping O-Is you are completely useless

lol nope

21 hours ago, leggasiini said:

- if O-I has binocs or something like that, outspotting them isnt as easy, and its not possible to outspot them on some maps

- if you dont hit on correct spot good luck soing damage

- every else situation than against camping O-Is you are completely useless

lol nope

That may be the source of the disconnect between my feeling and most everyone else's here then. It has been a solid 18 months since I did any organized sort of play. I did enjoy it, but I pretty much only do randoms now. 

I can see how facing teams of O-Is would be tremendously frustrating for fastboy teams. It would be interesting to see if the meta ever shifted away from fastboyz to something more balanced due to the O-I teams though. Although I was one of the few who didn't think a limit on clickers would solve anything years and years ago, mostly because I wanted to see how the game would evolve in response. 

Min my head I saw the game eventually getting to be nothing but clickers and LTs at high tier, then mediums would begin to make a comeback because they are basically just better LTs at tier 9 and 10, and eventually fast heavies make a return since they offer a bit more firepower and armor at the expense of speed, then tanky heavies since they can out heavy the fast heavies. 

But instead WG just capped clickers and then "nerfed" them (the accuracy changes balanced out the nerf, but reading about it was enough to scare all the mongloids into TDs). 

23 hours ago, Flametz said:

And it exists at tier 6, aka FASTBOIS tier where it will always be top-tier. Minus the obvious frustration of facing a 7 OI hellcamp on ruinberg vs this bullshit (tier 6 stage of full campaign, fun) you also have to take into account that the amount of APCR spent trying to kill one of these really digs into the profits of fastbois, on top of making games slower and significantly duller (and more frustrating when RNGesus decides to full-pen HE into your Cromwell turret)

O-I has rly stronk rear armor, flanking one of those is not that easy if the player knows what he is doing and has a handy wall to prevent sidehug...

150 mm ass that can be angled? ho ho ho.

23 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Nope. O-I has the highest same tier Hp,  O-Ni same, fascist armorless box is near at 1500 (much less if you count armor efe)

Other tier 6 heavies have 800 something, generally 850-880, only the VK has above 950, the same.

10 cm is hardly improved on O-Ni.

WORSE aim time, WORSE soft stats on hull movement, and better on turret evens out, ROF  the same, pathetic increase in dpm and alpha 10%, while all heavies have 50 % more hp...190/215 is worse than tiger, much worse than T29(gold), and russian 122 derps have the same gold penn and more alpha.

165/201 is very decent on O-I if you run it, right along most same tier tanks. Yes, M6 has better penn7acc, but you have alpha and armor, and the gun is not a derpy russian 0.45/3.4s...

Oh, yes, 0.01 better acc, great...

O-I can outspot most same tier heavies and even Russian higher tier ones, while O-Ni is just typical for the tier.

Crommie sees 10 m LESS than O-I, and T 150 40 m less.

Whatever value O-Ni has, it is not its gun. It is undergunned compared to same tier heavies,while O-I is overgunned.

IN fact, I would like my noobs to drive O-I every game. I can rely on them to last quite long if i support them. many a game I won because my noobs drove O-I derp and did 1.5-2 k dmg...while i supported them for even more, preventing them getting rushed/flanked, and enemy noobs being too stupid to penetrate mine...if we were top tier/tier 7.

again, in tier 8 noobs still do dmg with derp...if they nick enemy 2 times for 300-400, fine. sold their useless skin for more than 240 dmg they would do in a M6.

It still has better soft stats than KV-2 if you prefer derp, along with armor on frontal hull, turret and rear. pressing 2 occurs rarely at tier 6 on EU randoms.

T150/M6 are better for good players than O-I, but much worse in the hands of noobs, or if you can not afford and gold.

O-I exp is opposite. It is overpowered as hell only for good players, for noobs is shit, and mediocre ones just get slightly better results than in other same tier tanks.

41 minutes ago, Felicius said:

O-I has rly stronk rear armor, flanking one of those is not that easy if the player knows what he is doing and has a handy wall to prevent sidehug...

150 mm ass that can be angled? ho ho ho.

Nope. O-I has the highest same tier Hp,  O-Ni same, fascist armorless box is near at 1500 (much less if you count armor efe)

Other tier 6 heavies have 800 something, generally 850-880, only the VK has above 950, the same.

10 cm is hardly improved on O-Ni.

WORSE aim time, WORSE soft stats on hull movement, and better on turret evens out, ROF  the same, pathetic increase in dpm and alpha 10%, while all heavies have 50 % more hp...190/215 is worse than tiger, much worse than T29(gold), and russian 122 derps have the same gold penn and more alpha.

165/201 is very decent on O-I if you run it, right along most same tier tanks. Yes, M6 has better penn7acc, but you have alpha and armor, and the gun is not a derpy russian 0.45/3.4s...

Oh, yes, 0.01 better acc, great...

O-I can outspot most same tier heavies and even Russian higher tier ones, while O-Ni is just typical for the tier.

Crommie sees 10 m LESS than O-I, and T 150 40 m less.

Whatever value O-Ni has, it is not its gun. It is undergunned compared to same tier heavies,while O-I is overgunned.

IN fact, I would like my noobs to drive O-I every game. I can rely on them to last quite long if i support them. many a game I won because my noobs drove O-I derp and did 1.5-2 k dmg...while i supported them for even more, preventing them getting rushed/flanked, and enemy noobs being too stupid to penetrate mine...if we were top tier/tier 7.

again, in tier 8 noobs still do dmg with derp...if they nick enemy 2 times for 300-400, fine. sold their useless skin for more than 240 dmg they would do in a M6.

It still has better soft stats than KV-2 if you prefer derp, along with armor on frontal hull, turret and rear. pressing 2 occurs rarely at tier 6 on EU randoms.

T150/M6 are better for good players than O-I, but much worse in the hands of noobs, or if you can not afford and gold.

O-I exp is opposite. It is overpowered as hell only for good players, for noobs is shit, and mediocre ones just get slightly better results than in other same tier tanks.

I meant it wrong, my bad. Its not indeed much better tier for tier, but considering that its more than 50% of O-Is while tier 7 heavies not having drastically more alpha, it feels more healthy. Also, there is also Church 7 and TOG who have higher HP than O-I, but yea

8 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

I meant it wrong, my bad. Its not indeed much better tier for tier, but considering that its more than 50% of O-Is while tier 7 heavies not having drastically more alpha, it feels more healthy. Also, there is also Church 7 and TOG who have higher HP than O-I, but yea

Church has 10 more, and gets a pew-pew, so 2-5 x more exposure. Tog...too, along with no armor whatsoever.

Tier 6 heavies have pretty much the same alpha as the 7 ones, yes...a lot of guns are recycled or have same alpha, just better penn. 122 is an exception, it is simply not a viable gun at tier 6 (but it is a tier 5, lol).

But also, tier 6 heavies are all better penetration and dpm vise tier for tier. How long you need to kill same tier heavy? much longer, even if you run High dpm, but low alpha tiger, or lower dpm but higher alpha 122s...

Killing enemy tanks is faster the lower the tier...tier 2 is extreme, you kill enemy tank in 4-5 seconds on avg.

Tier 7 heavies suffer less by meeting higher tier tanks, since noobs can simply out-hp you with just one tier higher tank in tier 7 heavy, true, and O-I armor is autoaim for one tier higher AP rounds...or skill ammo sometimes 2 tier lower.

I dislike O-Ni because i like tanks with great guns. Tiger/T29 outgun O-Ni by a long shot, and 122 has a lot of merit if you are not fighting E75/VKB...or IS3.

Both tanks can lead a push if top tier, Especially if you have 10 cm, or derp and a platoon mate. But O-I is primarily defined by overwhelming firepower. It can one shot same tier meds and kill 3/4 of same tier heavy reliably. Armor is actually less important, and 950 hp is very meaty if you go against 130-240 alphas.

O-I works even against great players because of the gun, while O-Ni is just like a Maus - armor that melts on gold ammo (not from all guns), and mediocre alpha/ dpm for tier. O-I is more like E 100- you can gold spam it, but be prepared to take at least double in return if he is loaded and pointing at your direction.

relative values of all tanks in WOT since the introduction of jap heavies has changed accordingly  to their ability to reliably penetrate jap heavies (once there was enough of them in mm, despite them not being OP, at least not ones with armor - only O-I Exp is truly OP)...or deal with them in some other way like dashing on them to sidehug...High view range comparable to everybody in tier 5-6 also ruin game for blind tds.

slower meds with worse gold shells like E 8 are fucked in this meta if enemy have jap ones on city map...

P.S. if you wanna break camp of SH O-Is, bring a lot of t-150s. They hit you for 250-300 every 23 sec, while you pres 2 and autoaaim them for 300 every 8. lololol. same is in randoms single combat. It is harder if they run 10 cms.