sundanceHelix

ALL THE MS-DOS GAMES

8dU39eV.png?1

>when you can literally see the individual pixels

okay, why do all these games want me to enter a word in the manual at a specific page?

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

8dU39eV.png?1

>when you can literally see the individual pixels

okay, why do all these games want me to enter a word in the manual at a specific page?

old school drm, i think.

YES, FINALLY A WORKING VERSION:

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Electro_Man_1992

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_Man

After searching for days i finally found back the name of this game (Electro body / Electro man) but i never got a working version, and this one actually works)

Its fkn frustrating though, since at first, you have zero bonus lives, so get hit once = dead = start over -.-

ps: gonna search some other games, i should have a pile of floppy disks somewhere in a box, they dont work, but they do have names on them ^^

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Trolls_1992

I could never complete this one before, perhaps it can be done now!!

Earlier today, Private_Miros (Not TheMarine0341) said:

:( MS DOS Red Baron, my first gaming addiction.

YE gods... why did you remind me that was there...  I must have played through the entire war a half dozen times on each side.  To the point where I knew all of the names of each side's aces and can still recall most of the plane names... and was able to instantly identify the ones on display in the USAF museum.

24 minutes ago, Deusmortis said:

YE gods... why did you remind me that was there...  I must have played through the entire war a half dozen times on each side.  To the point where I knew all of the names of each side's aces and can still recall most of the plane names... and was able to instantly identify the ones on display in the USAF museum.

Im confused... why did you quote me?

2 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Im confused... why did you quote me?

Wow... I quoted you around 12 hours ago from a different post, meaning to reply, but got interrupted.  Apparently, when I quoted again, 'labs remembered the first quote.

FWIW, I was entertaining the notion of granting the request you made in that thread...

2 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

Lol, forums are hard when you're the boss.

True, but I can fix things.

10 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

That question makes me feel *very* old. :feelsbad:

22 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

20 hours ago, methebest said:

old school drm, i think.

Essentially, yes.

Remember, most of these are from before the days of common access to the internet.  Most also predate CDs (let alone DVDs), so they couldn't use the old "Insert the disk to play" method of sharing prevention.   You could pretty easily install the things on one computer, pass the install disks (as in, multiple floppies...) to a friend, have them install and pass, install and pass, install and pass, etc.  

So they figured that they could combat sharing by making you enter word #3 from paragraph #2 on page 41, since it was more difficult to share the user's manual.  Some games got more tricky.  I remember one of the old AD&D games (Pool of Radiance, I think) came with a two part wheel.  You turn the inner wheel until a specific symbol lines up with a symbol on the outer wheel, then a cutout section of the wheel will show you the word or symbol you needed to enter the game.  Another AD&D game randomly asked for the word on page whatever when you saved, so you couldn't just guess once when the game started.  

You should be able to find the manuals (or at least a list of all the correct answers) online easily enough.  

1 hour ago, Deusmortis said:

Some games got more tricky.  I remember one of the old AD&D games (Pool of Radiance, I think) came with a two part wheel.  You turn the inner wheel until a specific symbol lines up with a symbol on the outer wheel, then a cutout section of the wheel will show you the word or symbol you needed to enter the game.

I used to play the Premier Manager football games to death, and they all used this for their DRM (or 'copy protection' as we called it then). Not really being a football fan IRL, pretty much my entire knowlege of the game is based on the period of 1991 - 1994 from these games.

Sim-City had a big sheet with three-digit codes printed on it. You had to look up 'row x, column y' and input it when you started. The code-book was printed in transparent gloss ink on dark purple paper so you couldn't photocopy it.

The shit we old folk had to go through to play our vidya games...

Save point?  What's that?  You could only save at specific spots, often far away from the thing that would end up killing you?

Saves?  Ha!  Here's a code.  Write it down.  It will let you start at this level.

Code?  Forget that.  Here's 3 lives.  Make it through the entire game, and quitcherbitchin.  

I swear, some old game makers wanted to punish the fools who dared play their games...  In their defense, however, it felt damn sweet to beat those games.  Now, it's more "Oh hey, I'm done.  I guess I'll dick around with the completion %/extra features for an hour, then move on to the next game."

Edit:  Also, having to go to an actual store to buy games.  I guess console peasants still do that.  And having to buy magazines to get reviews...  And big guidebooks to help you through the tough bits.  No easy answers from Google.

Yep, I remember the decoder wheel from Pool of Radiance.  I also remember scanning the map that came with Ultima looking for map coordinates.  Its funny though, no matter how sophisticated and beautiful modern games become - I'm still chasing the high I felt when I was dodging a Grue on my Commodore 64 in 1984.   

29 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

Its funny though, no matter how sophisticated and beautiful modern games become - I'm still chasing the high I felt when I was dodging a Grue on my Commodore 64 in 1984.   

or running the "autobahn" on the Apple IIe 

or crawling the "Tunnels of Doom" on the TI-99/4A

or ...

3 hours ago, BattleMetalChris said:

I used to play the Premier Manager football games to death, and they all used this for their DRM (or 'copy protection' as we called it then). Not really being a football fan IRL, pretty much my entire knowlege of the game is based on the period of 1991 - 1994 from these games.

OMG...

My relationship with kicky-ball-o is almost exactly the same--except it was several solid years of playing Sensible World of Soccer ECE '96 which provided my one & only glimpse of that sport (I have zero interest in improving on my football knowledge, I can't even watch the game TBH)...

BTW:

http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/community/help