Psycodiver

KM battleships

I bought the Nassau first thing this morning and took it into COOP stock, it's a fun little t3. Shell arcs are flat, fast reload, slow turrets and can't pen the broadside of a South Carolina at 9km, but it has tight dispersion and I absolutely wrecked a DD and a couple cruisers and once I got within 6 km I easily landed 8-10k salvos into the upper belt of other battleships. Secondaries are hilariously good too

I've got some summaries typed up but I'm waiting on a green light before I get too in-depth.  Even though the ships are live, there are aspects of our ST experience (mostly regarding any changes to the ships) that I'm not sure I can discuss.  Checking on that.

I can say that it's mostly a great line.  The Gneisenau is fun but may frustrate some people with only six guns, and I think the tier 10 is probably not going to be a popular ship, but all in all they're mostly tough, well-armored ships with great secondaries and main batteries that exchange gun caliber for reload speed.

I would wait a few days before starting down the German BB line, my few battles this morning in lower tiers were dominated by Kamikaze R's and IJN CV's mercilessly torping the BB heavy lineups.  The battles were being decided by who had the best DD player on their team who lived long enough.  I saw a 3 man Kaiser division erased 6 minutes into the game by two CV's who ran their strikes together - something you normally don't see in pubs.  At one point there were 87 BB's in the queue.

I am looking forward to Mesrith's write ups, I definitely want to play this line.

1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

I would wait a few days before starting down the German BB line, my few battles this morning in lower tiers were dominated by Kamikaze R's and IJN CV's mercilessly torping the BB heavy lineups.  The battles were being decided by who had the best DD player on their team who lived long enough.  I saw a 3 man Kaiser division erased 6 minutes into the game by two CV's who ran their strikes together - something you normally don't see in pubs.  At one point there were 87 BB's in the queue.

I am looking forward to Mesrith's write ups, I definitely want to play this line.

Well I'm apparently not allowed to discuss even publicly-available information unless I have already played the ship on the live server now.  I'm waiting for the storm to calm down before I level this line, so it will be awhile.

Looks like my Clemson and Farragut are going to be put to work right now, plus this gives me a chance to test the KM BBs since I have a BB for every tier (kept my favorites). I want to travel down the line but I'm going to take it slow till the dust settles

So far Nassau is most fun BB of the tier for me (not saying much though) - the AP performs pretty well against other BBs including Nassaus, and every cruiser who messed with me and wasn't at the edge of my range died very very quickly. But gonna go more slowly then hopefully most of the people failing their way up to the top of yet another line. At one point I saw over 270 BBs in T3 queue. :fat:

I'm pretty sure that T4~6 has same armor UI bug as Gneisenau - Main belt value incorrectly attributed to "casemate" value.

Ze German battleschiffs have this compulsion to slab at least 300mm of Krupp fat in their waist area. Very trollish when shells do hit the main belt and not the upper belt for normal pens.

Free-XP'd to Konig to play some T5 games with my friends. I feared 12-inchers at T5 might be too undergunned on not-so-fast platform but the guns actually seem pretty good. Reload is fast, shell flies fast, giving good supporting fire to anti-DD work, dispersion is not stellar but good enough.

And just by looking at numbers, Bayern looks very strong, akin to Warspite with thicker belt gliding at 25knts.

Free xp'd to the Konig, fully upgraded. First match was a tier 7, didn't matter. The volume of fire makes it pretty beast., and the firing arc of that midships turret is actually pretty decent. 

JEC3nBJ.jpg

Uyz8dYn.jpg84yNONu.jpg

So are secondary builds viable with KM BBs?  I've only played the Nassau so far, but it unleashes a torrent of small caliber hellfire the likes of which I've never seen.  I sunk 3 DDs with secondaries in 8 games played last night.

23 minutes ago, Das_Schlippo said:

So are secondary builds viable with KM BBs?  I've only played the Nassau so far, but it unleashes a torrent of small caliber hellfire the likes of which I've never seen.  I sunk 3 DDs with secondaries in 8 games played last night.

Yes.  All of them have good-to-great secondaries, although Bayern feels a bit closer to the average.  I redid my Tirpitz commander recently to pick up Manual Secondaries, and the German secondaries will do some work if you can keep an enemy in their bubble for awhile.  Obviously there will be some games where you don't get much out of secondaries, but at least the German battleships tend to thrive at closer ranges.

From the perspective of IJN destroyer play at higher tiers the German BBs are actually pretty slippery due to the hydroacoustic search. Last night I saw several divisioned together and they just took turns running search which pretty much negated torpedo attacks.

3 hours ago, Das_Schlippo said:

With Nassau and Kaiser I'd say yes, with Konig I wouldn't bother.

Used free exp to get to the Konig and I'm finishing up the grind currently. Really enjoyed this ship. Guns aren't quite powerful enough to reliably citadel broadside BBs but it's a very fun little BB. Also played the Kaiser on a friend's account and enjoyed that as well.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:43 PM, _Goliard said:

With Nassau and Kaiser I'd say yes, with Konig I wouldn't bother.

I have to completely disagree on the Konig. Secondary builds make it burn down cruisers and DD 's as well as boost AA, giving it the best BB AA in tier, iirc. I respec'd my Tirpitz captain to a secondary build for it, and its paying dividends. As in, I'm getting at least one CQE most matches and regularly shoot down more aircraft than any other ship on my teams.

2 hours ago, MntRunner said:

My problem with the Konig is that I almost always see tier 7. Maybe it's just current MM. It's a good ship, I do lots of damage in it, but with seeing tier 7 so often I will not be keeping it.

I've had the same experience. It's more than capable in them, but out of I think 10 matches I've been top tier once.

3 hours ago, MntRunner said:

My problem with the Konig is that I almost always see tier 7. Maybe it's just current MM. It's a good ship, I do lots of damage in it, but with seeing tier 7 so often I will not be keeping it.

Wouldn't that be the MM changes of the previous patch? Lots of low tiers got sheltered/preferential match-making, meaning tier 5's will spend less time as top tiers and more time as food.

I finally got around to actually playing the Nassau and it only took 6 games to finish it (granted I used xp flags) without using free XP. Stock wasn't bad and fully updated was pretty good. I took some time to play my South Carolina for comparison and I got to say the Nassau is better in every way except for tanking, but that could be because I'm so used to the SC I know how and when to angle and with more practice I probably could do the same. Currently my SC is my tier 3 keeper but I may change that later

I bought the Kaiser last night and retained the Nassau captain for it via the Schornhurst. I took it into a co-op battle to see how she is stock and those side turrets get a little wonky and start turning for no reason, not sure if it's a bug or me. I took my Wyoming out to see how it did against the Kaiser and at max range and close range my Wyoming was absolutely devastating but between 7-11km I got allot of no pens with AP, not sure if RNG was toying with me since it was only 1 game