Psycodiver

KM battleships

14 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Which german secondaries have AP?

They're most prominent on the Bayern. You get within about 3-4 km in a DD where they can reliably hit you and they are devastating. Too bad the manual secondary five point skill doesn't get good until tier seven ships, otherwise I'd use it on both the Bayern and Warspite.

I'm really having issues in the Bayern (especially on weekends). I can't wait to get rid of another tier 6:

akZmhuG.jpg

DYBOx0k.png

I didn't find the Bayern as much fun as the New Mexico, though I did appreciate the speed increase over the NM.  The Gneissenau  at tier 7 is an interesting ship - you will have to concentrate to make full use of those 6 guns.  It is very tanky though and it does have nice speed to re-position.

I rate the NM above the Bayern but I do have allot of fun with it. The biggest issue I have with its lack of long range ability, something the NM doesn't exact suffer as much from it with its 16% range boost module, a scout plane and also has 50% more guns mixed with shells than maintain their velocity better in my opinion. To me the Bayern shells seem to lose their velocity allot faster than the Fuso or NM at ranges above 14km. Its a ship that HAS to close to under 10km to be its most effective in my opinion, its secondaries are nice but inadequate for dealing with a head-on DD attack since at T6 the manual secondary ability is meh and lack of shotgun effect from the main guns like its USN and IJN counterparts really makes it subject to RNG. When I'm done its grind I will be sad to sell it but my belief is the NM is a better T6 BB (although I do thoroughly enjoy my Dunkerque also)

6 hours ago, Birkovic said:

I'm really having issues in the Bayern (especially on weekends). I can't wait to get rid of another tier 6:

akZmhuG.jpg

DYBOx0k.png

Completely understand. I'm at around 30% w/r after around 30 battles with it and struggle to do decent damage with it.

in contrast, I'm at 57% with the Warspite with over 100 battles. 

i think the main issue is that the gun dispersion is just so shit, and that many salvos result in only 1-2 hits which then over pen.

9 hours ago, Hellvn said:

Completely understand. I'm at around 30% w/r after around 30 battles with it and struggle to do decent damage with it.

in contrast, I'm at 57% with the Warspite with over 100 battles. 

i think the main issue is that the gun dispersion is just so shit, and that many salvos result in only 1-2 hits which then over pen.

I'm doing OKish damage in her, but I have a lot of issues with getting support in pushes (people simply turn away all of a sudden), teams very quickly loosing 3-4 ships and then spend a lot of time in tier 7-8 MM, where these collapsing teams make things even harder. That being said I'm sure a competent and more experienced player would have a lot better stats (or a platooned player for that matter, which would solve some of my pushing issues).

PGSB106.png Bayern 6 BB germany.svgGermany 24 37.50% 56,328 1,388 2.3 1.3 3.1 46% 29% 0% 1,195

Onboard has a long (and frequently repeated) rant about the Bayern's 15" guns.

Basically, the shells are too inaccurate for long range sniping, and too fast/flat arced for close range bullying. You need to be in an incredibly narrow window to make good use of them.

9 hours ago, bathoz said:

Onboard has a long (and frequently repeated) rant about the Bayern's 15" guns.

Basically, the shells are too inaccurate for long range sniping, and too fast/flat arced for close range bullying. You need to be in an incredibly narrow window to make good use of them.

This is every German 15". Worst main armament/fire control pairing in the game. 

Once I finally got the Beyern fully upgraded, I was able to do well at most ranges. Not as well as Warspite, but the Beyern has more armor. I still can't reliably win with it. (100k games happen often, but we still lose) I must be doing something wrong, just not sure wot.

Bayern is easily the worst t6 BB and probably has the worst AP penetration profile of any battleship I've played.

Not enough pen to go through citadel belts or angled armor, but too much to get citadels or even proper pens on thin flat plates. I got normal penetrations on the Bayern about as often as I'd get cidatels on something like the Arizona or Warspite.

9 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

Once I finally got the Beyern fully upgraded, I was able to do well at most ranges. Not as well as Warspite, but the Beyern has more armor. I still can't reliably win with it. (100k games happen often, but we still lose) I must be doing something wrong, just not sure wot.

Nothing wrong with you, that's just how bad the Bayern is. All the armor in the world can't salvage guns that bad.

1 hour ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Bayern is easily the worst t6 BB and probably has the worst AP penetration profile of any battleship I've played.

Not enough pen to go through citadel belts or angled armor, but too much to get citadels or even proper pens on thin flat plates. I got normal penetrations on the Bayern about as often as I'd get cidatels on something like the Arizona or Warspite.

Nothing wrong with you, that's just how bad the Bayern is. All the armor in the world can't salvage guns that bad.

It really is the guns. Bayern is the only ship I ragesold and skipped the remainder of, so far. Even with the old Karl I just ground through the remainder in PVE. She made a decent first impression, but the guns got to me more and more until I couldn't take it any longer. The 15"/52 guns you get after aren't perfect, but they are worlds better than the 15"/45.

I actually found the Bayern to be enjoyable, and I feel it is the best regular tier 6 BB. The Arizona is the best overall tier 6 BB. This is my opinion and, it may just be a good ship for my play style.

I'll bring up a few stats from Warships.today. For regular tech tree tier 6 BB's the Bayern has the highest average damage, highest average XP earned, highest average plane kills, and the highest main batter hit ratio. The stat that is the most interesting is the high main battery hit ratio since that seems to be what most people say is it's weak point. 

It's main weakness in stats seems to be the win ratio since it's slightly below average, only beating out the New Mexico in this category. Although this stat is probably the reason why I enjoyed the ship while most people don't. The average win ratio is 50.35% while my win ratio is 63%. Since I win pretty regularly in it, I guess that gives me a more favorable perspective of the ship.

I mean I'm tunnel visioning the German BB line as my first so I have literally not played a tier 6 other than the Bayern, but I actually found it quite enjoyable.

fb2e8dd9d79bf86d57d5614320a7b13a.png

You'll have to pardon my potato stats I guess, probably due to the all-or-nothing way I play. I was actually very satisfied with the Bayern though, incredibly strong belt for its tier(I say "for its tier" because here I am in the gneisenau with more or less the same belt) meant I felt confident going up against tier 7s (with the exception of SchinyHorst and her sister because balance lances) more often than not, an 11.1s rudder shift (after upgrade) meant it felt responsive, and my copious investment in secondary skills in preparation for the Bismark meant I projected a 7.4km bubble of moderate annoyance around me. Offensively most of my success probably came down to effective armor angling, I found the main guns quite adequate for short range duels, with a pretty good capacity to simply punch through other BBs at most angles, and managing my HP well allowed me to just hold targets in secondary range and chew away at them. I fondly remember one DD who blew all of his torpedoes at 6km and then stuck around to be slowly ripped apart by secondary fire as I simply kept advancing.

Though I guess I'll reiterate that I am utterly committed to playing my German BBs in the most boneheaded way possible, by closing as much distance as possible as quickly as possible and simply bullying the enemy down. It either works fantastically or not at all pretty much.

I have no issues with the Bayern either, the guns are derpy, but workable, she really does suffer more in bottom tier than the Fuso or New Mexico does

@surge753 That's more or less the correct way to play German BBS. The key to becoming really good at them is recognizing when that opportunity does and does not exist. Even the toughest BB will burn down under enough focus. The key is finding chances to bully without giving the whole enemy team a focus target. 

7 hours ago, BoilerBandsman said:

@surge753 That's more or less the correct way to play German BBS. The key to becoming really good at them is recognizing when that opportunity does and does not exist. Even the toughest BB will burn down under enough focus. The key is finding chances to bully without giving the whole enemy team a focus target. 

Truthfully I think the difference between average players and the great to Unicum set of players is the ability to know when to dive in, and when to get out ( especially HOW to get out ).  You have all seen games where it's a bloodbath and a tight match, but 2 BB's hang back at near full health - not absorbing repairable damage to help their Cruisers and other BB's not get focused down.  These same two mid to top tier BB's will then face a 2 v 6, totally unfavorable in every way, and promptly dive in to get insta gibbed.  No matter what you say to them during the battle or at the end, they just refuse to use their health pool to help the other ships on the team.  Good players don't rush in yolo style, but sometimes are too cagey with their engagements - the best players are dancing in and out, figuring out how to transfer the enemies focus back and forth - it's fun to watch while you are in the middle of it.

As a Bismarck driver I want to get to that 9-10k range where my secondary's are spitting fire and I am taking chunks of health.  Yet I often lose track of the other 3 ships with me either pulling back or dying and leaving myself as the sole target.  My goal is to stop zooming in on my shots so much when I get in the 8-10k range, and use the reticle zoomed out to maintain better situational awareness.

Yeah it's funny when you're leading a push in a BB and right at the start of the push you have 3-4 ships with you but at some point between salvos you suddenly notice everyone has pulled a 180 and you're just out there, alone. lol

But I agree that situational awareness is the barrier between being great and not. That and being able to anticipate an enemy's movements and plan accordingly.

20 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

Truthfully I think the difference between average players and the great to Unicum set of players is the ability to know when to dive in, and when to get out ( especially HOW to get out ).  You have all seen games where it's a bloodbath and a tight match, but 2 BB's hang back at near full health - not absorbing repairable damage to help their Cruisers and other BB's not get focused down.  These same two mid to top tier BB's will then face a 2 v 6, totally unfavorable in every way, and promptly dive in to get insta gibbed.  No matter what you say to them during the battle or at the end, they just refuse to use their health pool to help the other ships on the team.  Good players don't rush in yolo style, but sometimes are too cagey with their engagements - the best players are dancing in and out, figuring out how to transfer the enemies focus back and forth - it's fun to watch while you are in the middle of it.

My goal is to stop zooming in on my shots so much when I get in the 8-10k range, and use the reticle zoomed out to maintain better situational awareness.

See it all the time and its infuriating when you think you're in a good push and everyone bails on you.  It's even worse if you are holding your own vs superior numbers on one side of the map and the bulk of your team gets stopped cold by a couple of ships on the other side.

PS that's a good goal and one I need to adhere to as well.

Another big mistake I see people making getting "greedy" in cruisers with torps and trying to get them all off, thus exposing their broadside with little or no return.

New name my clan mate came up with for the Bismarck: Fun Police. We had a smoked flanking position on an entire team of broadside heroes and Officer Nofun reverses up to us, pops hydro and clicks on us. GG no fun was had.

So, I fell in love with the Nassau, and had to raise a new Kapitan for the Kaiser. 

I fell in love with the Kaiser : new Kapitan for the Koenig.

Thankfully, I hate the Koenig

Oh,  no,  wait,  Koenig is awesome too. 

At this rate, I'll have more KM officers in my account than you could have found in a cabaret any given night in Brest in 1941

8 hours ago, Hellvn said:

The fun stops once you get the Bayern.

I found the Bayern to be pretty fun so far, more fun than the Konig where I was constantly bottom tier and with poorly penetrating 12" guns but for a heck of a grind.

Really? The Konig makes me excited for a 14" gunned KGV.