Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello and welcome,

Stridsvagn 74 is the upcoming tier 6 medium tank, my namesake, and probably not the most fun tier 6 medium to come into World of Tanks.

This tank is most likely to be like a Firefly with -15 gun depression and the Cromwell gun. It has the same hull as the tier 5 medium and tier 6 premium, with no great amount of speed or armour.

A9lTi98.jpg

 

Mobility: It is a very light tank for a medium, but has a bad engine, so it is still slow.

Gun: Hard to guess, but unremarkable aside from -15 gun depression, which is outstanding.

Armour: Under 60mm effective turret armour pretty much everywhere means bouncing is a fluke, even with the nice shape for the turret.

 

Relevant Links:

Armored Patrol In-Garage Photos

For the Record profile by Sp15.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mobility-wise it would make most sense to compare it to the M/42-57, but see as most people don't really know what it moves like, I expect it to be relatively close to the Type 4 Chi-To in this department. Rather slow, decent break of speed once you get momentum going.

Of course, it's significantly smaller than it the japanese tier 6, and has even better gun depression. The armor difference is meaningless, so I would expect it to be compensated in the firepower department with lower DPM or worse gun handling.

It's not going to be a hugely competitive tank, not in this meta or any that has been before it, but it shouldn't be too painfull. 15 degrees is a lot to work with, and if you barely peek at that the turret is not going to be a big target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/08/24/supertest-strv-74/#more-31024

Pen is fairly standard, alpha is higher than other 75/76mm guns aside 17lber, mobility looks fairly meh, DPM is meh but good aim time and accuracy.

Stand out is the -15 gun depression, and possibility looking at the shape of that turret it might be a bit bouncy, though thickness is low, like 30mm spaced armour over 20mm turret armour. 

Quite British in feel, gun depression, average mobility, good accurate gun but low DPM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So those Armored Patrol pics made it look like the turret was normal sized on a small chassis.

Now that the premium tank has been released, we all know the chassis is not small whatsoever.

Is this thing going to be a stock ARL with -15 gun depression?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.. this is live now; and surprisingly good.

The gun has godly soft stats, it's m46 patton comfortable, despite being unable to mount vstab. Abusing depression is so easy; as you are practically permanently aimed, and snap shot hatches 200m away like a champ. Long range sniping in bottom tier matches works too, the base accuracy and shell velocity is actually good enough to nail things 500m away.

Is3/6s are problematic to deal with.. but that's a small price to pay for this kind of gun handling.

The turret armor is actually better than paper suggests. The mantle (which covers most of the turret front) will stop most 150 pen or lower shells.

Only down side of this thing is how dam tall it is... most heavy tanks are shorter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hally said:

Well.. this is live now; and surprisingly good.

The gun has godly soft stats, it's m46 patton comfortable, despite being unable to mount vstab. Abusing depression is so easy; as you are practically permanently aimed, and snap shot hatches 200m away like a champ. Long range sniping in bottom tier matches works too, the base accuracy and shell velocity is actually good enough to nail things 500m away.

Is3/6s are problematic to deal with.. but that's a small price to pay for this kind of gun handling.

The turret armor is actually better than paper suggests. The mantle (which covers most of the turret front) will stop most 150 pen or lower shells.

Only down side of this thing is how dam tall it is... most heavy tanks are shorter.

Camo rating is on the low side for tier 6 meds, though...E8 levels. Crommie>34-85>this.

This tank is the reason I grind the tech tree at all (after HT nerfs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Felicius said:

Camo rating is on the low side for tier 6 meds, though...E8 levels. Crommie>34-85>this.

This tank is the reason I grind the tech tree at all (after HT nerfs).

The HT's will be still super useful. There are many key spots on maps which give huge advantage to depression + turret so with no or few arty you will still be king.

 

btw. T5 is also surprisingly good. Pen sucks but that alpha + that depresion make it so easy to play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hazzgar said:

The HT's will be still super useful. There are many key spots on maps which give huge advantage to depression + turret so with no or few arty you will still be king.

 

btw. T5 is also surprisingly good. Pen sucks but that alpha + that depresion make it so easy to play

I Know. I have 2 acc that i play regularly, and WG threw on us a SoS crew with one skill finished...

Although I have to cough up 2x 500 gold to retrain radio operators in gunners...

My short term goal is T6 Stridsvagn 74 on both acc, to get the 3rd skill finished (SoS+camo and repairs), then move to Leo with a solid crew, and train gunnery skills there. I plan on keeping one heavy (mid term goal Emil 1, long term Kranvagn) one one acc.

Safe and steady...

Stridsvagn 74 will be my long term keeper, alongside Crommie and 34-85. that tank is what E8 dreams of being...Moar gun depression, good soft stats, and useful alpha/penetration/accuracy, all of which E8 dire lack of.

I do not plan playing TDs. Yes, they are super strong once in a few battles, against 50% of enemies...but if you fight high caliber guns, or have arty, you are toasted. Just too random for my taste (+I hate turetless tanks).

P.S.

T5 is maybe easy to play, but it lacks higher skill ceiling for my taste. Gun is derpy, penetration and accuracy sucks, and T5 is so full of broken tanks like T67, and M4 simply does all better (it has 12 degrees of gun depression) with more view range, and even some genuine armor (if you depress the gun all the way) when top tier.

T-34-57 is simply the best T5 medium by far. tier 8 dpm+best gold in tier+Tiger accuracy, on top of best armor or all tier 5 meds (pretty much full protection from 105 mm HEAT with angling, good HE protection (tracks eat a lot of arty near misses, and hits by small same tier arty leave you a solid 50% of health remaining), and a ricochets even from big caliber guns due to thick side armor and shape of a tank). turret is so small, that it is almost impossible to hit from more than 200 m when hull down, while your gun can draw range snipe well.

Tier 5 is simply one of the tiers with many great tanks. T67, KV-1 (after HD a bit less, but most of ppl do not know your turret is weak now), KV-1S, T-34 (and Chinese knock-off), M4, Stug III, O-I Exp...

It is hard to compete with those...most of those tanks eat you away in one shot or a few seconds, either unspotted, or from outside your effective range.

Easy grind, maybe. But only against hordes of reds that infest the servers right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Felicius said:

I Know. I have 2 acc that i play regularly, and WG threw on us a SoS crew with one skill finished...

Although I have to cough up 2x 500 gold to retrain radio operators in gunners...

My short term goal is T6 Stridsvagn 74 on both acc, to get the 3rd skill finished (SoS+camo and repairs), then move to Leo with a solid crew, and train gunnery skills there. I plan on keeping one heavy (mid term goal Emil 1, long term Kranvagn) one one acc.

Safe and steady...

Stridsvagn 74 will be my long term keeper, alongside Crommie and 34-85. that tank is what E8 dreams of being...Moar gun depression, good soft stats, and useful alpha/penetration/accuracy, all of which E8 dire lack of.

I do not plan playing TDs. Yes, they are super strong once in a few battles, against 50% of enemies...but if you fight high caliber guns, or have arty, you are toasted. Just too random for my taste (+I hate turetless tanks).

P.S.

T5 is maybe easy to play, but it lacks higher skill ceiling for my taste. Gun is derpy, penetration and accuracy sucks, and T5 is so full of broken tanks like T67, and M4 simply does all better (it has 12 degrees of gun depression) with more view range, and even some genuine armor (if you depress the gun all the way) when top tier.

T-34-57 is simply the best T5 medium by far. tier 8 dpm+best gold in tier+Tiger accuracy, on top of best armor or all tier 5 meds (pretty much full protection from 105 mm HEAT with angling, good HE protection (tracks eat a lot of arty near misses, and hits by small same tier arty leave you a solid 50% of health remaining), and a ricochets even from big caliber guns due to thick side armor and shape of a tank). turret is so small, that it is almost impossible to hit from more than 200 m when hull down, while your gun can draw range snipe well.

Tier 5 is simply one of the tiers with many great tanks. T67, KV-1 (after HD a bit less, but most of ppl do not know your turret is weak now), KV-1S, T-34 (and Chinese knock-off), M4, Stug III, O-I Exp...

It is hard to compete with those...most of those tanks eat you away in one shot or a few seconds, either unspotted, or from outside your effective range.

Easy grind, maybe. But only against hordes of reds that infest the servers right now.

Yeah I played it a bit more and I agree. My initial opinion was based on a string of lucky wins. Now when I'm on one of those whatevery you do you lose series of games I hate it. Too derpy to be good for skilled play. Do some trades, do 700 dmg and go home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with tier 5 is what you are facing. You get shitted on far too much by this like OI/KV-2/t7 arty/T29/Tiger ect. Being penned by 105/122 derp most of the time doesn't even help you when top tier. It literally only function when you are clubbing clueless seals. When you meet another seal clubber that isn't clueless.. you are pretty badly outclassed.

Tier 6 fix all those issues. Your turret doesn't get penned by 105/122 derp; you have a much lower exposure time thanks to far superior gun handling, and you actually have the accuracy/(gold) pen to play long range game when bottom tier. (You can spam all the gold you want at a T29 or angled T-150 at long range, and watch it all bounce off). Tier 6 also get a significant dpm boost over the tier 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hally said:

Problem with tier 5 is what you are facing. You get shitted on far too much by this like OI/KV-2/t7 arty/T29/Tiger ect. Being penned by 105/122 derp most of the time doesn't even help you when top tier. It literally only function when you are clubbing clueless seals. When you meet another seal clubber that isn't clueless.. you are pretty badly outclassed.

Tier 6 fix all those issues. Your turret doesn't get penned by 105/122 derp; you have a much lower exposure time thanks to far superior gun handling, and you actually have the accuracy/(gold) pen to play long range game when bottom tier. (You can spam all the gold you want at a T29 or angled T-150 at long range, and watch it all bounce off). Tier 6 also get a significant dpm boost over the tier 5.

Yeah got that. Had a string of early great games. Hell had 2 games where I was the only t5 on my team. I was just fooled by the gun dep. It felt comfy but then I noticed i have to get hit to hit anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only just unlocked the top gun so haven't had a lot of experience of it in top configuration, but overall it appears a solid enough little tank. Gun handling is surprisingly good, pen/alpha combination is decent. Mobility is the big let-down for me - 45kph top speed and with the stock engine especially, it is sluggish as all heck. With the top engine and tracks at least it gets up to its top speed at a decent rate. It seems fun enough, but not as strong as the Cromwell or T34-85, which remain the stand-outs of tier 6 mediums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mobility is better than t34-85 in elite configuration. Gun handling with a DEAD gunner still beat cromwell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/12/2016 at 4:07 PM, Hally said:

Mobility is better than t34-85 in elite configuration. Gun handling with a DEAD gunner still beat cromwell.

Huh, the first part is interesting - I've never actually driven the T34-85, only the Rudy, and this *feels* more sluggish in comparison. Obviously gun handling is vastly superior to the Cromwell, but the Crom's speed and much lower/smaller profile, with comparable alpha/rate of fire, to me make it a much stronger package overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudy is more mobile than the tech tree t34-85, due to much better terrain resistance values, and not that much worse power to weight ratio. The difference you are seeing is likely caused by crew level differences. With the same level crew, rudy and strv 74 should have about the same mobility except for rudy's higher top speed. Tech tree T34-85 is unable to even reach the top speed without a long stretch of paved road or charging downhill due to miserable terrain resistance values on medium ground (which is the vast majority of terrain in most maps). Rudy is one of those few rare instances where the premium version is plainly better than the tech tree counterpart.

Gun handling on the strv 74 lets you play hills a lot more effectively than cromwell, because you can snapshot weakspots with perfect accuracy, without spending any time aiming. The playstyle is very different than a cromwell, and do not fill the same role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hally said:

Rudy is more mobile than the tech tree t34-85, due to much better terrain resistance values, and not that much worse power to weight ratio. The difference you are seeing is likely caused by crew level differences. With the same level crew, rudy and strv 74 should have about the same mobility except for rudy's higher top speed. Tech tree T34-85 is unable to even reach the top speed without a long stretch of paved road or charging downhill due to miserable terrain resistance values on medium ground (which is the vast majority of terrain in most maps). Rudy is one of those few rare instances where the premium version is plainly better than the tech tree counterpart.

Gun handling on the strv 74 lets you play hills a lot more effectively than cromwell, because you can snapshot weakspots with perfect accuracy, without spending any time aiming. The playstyle is very different than a cromwell, and do not fill the same role.

True...I think that Cromwell/Bromwell and T-34-85/Rudy finally got a contestant for the best in tier spot. All the other meds are plainly inferior than it.

Overall, I think that Cromwell mad speed (and substantially better camo and dpm) will win over Strv 74 sexy gun+depression combo...(as it relies less on pubbies since it can run away or support a crumbling flank much faster)...If you can avoid getting cancer from its gun handling.

On topic: gun handling is so good, that I see no difference in running food (other than more dpm, because i retrained only the commander and gunner for gold for this tank, others are at 90% or so.

I run rammer+optics+binos. Any ideas for equipment? I like optics, but Chai popential is so good to pass (and today i got Karelia 5x in Strv :) ).

P.S. Crommie is in HD or not? Because Bromwell model is much smaller ..it could be an upcoming buff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did rammer vents optics food with girl crew. It let you actually vision abuse is-3/6s when sent to bottom tier on a lot of maps. I do not like sitting still, especially on a tank with depression and gun handling. If arty/kv2/OI look at you, it is possible to get vaporized before 6th sense even goes off.

I don't think crommie is HD yet, but bromwell is. Current cromwell is bigger than it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cromwell is in HD. Can't remember when it happened, but both my Cromwell and Bromwell has fancy HD tracks :)

EDIT: And AFAIK they are the same size (besides the gun). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Hally said:

I did rammer vents optics food with girl crew. It let you actually vision abuse is-3/6s when sent to bottom tier on a lot of maps. I do not like sitting still, especially on a tank with depression and gun handling. If arty/kv2/OI look at you, it is possible to get vaporized before 6th sense even goes off.

I don't think crommie is HD yet, but bromwell is. Current cromwell is bigger than it should be.

My vision is like 8 m less than yours when my binos are not active. Dpm increase from vents is abysmal, and tank aims so well, that it does not need any aid in that area.

Again, binos give you real vision abuse, since with food you get 0.3 acc. A lot of maps I can spot tanks right at 445 m, track them, and annihilate them completely.

Yesterday i had a lot of Karelia, like 6-7 times (today got it 2x too, along with Sand River twice, El Haluf 2x, and prokh/fiery 3 times). All in 33 games...and even once Lakeville and Fishermans bay. I admit it was luck to get open maps half or more times, but it is incredibly useful to run double optification. Problem is that I often get spotted, despite to having 80% overall camo (fresh girls, too), since the tank is very tall...Binos let me spot without getting spotted in return.

Chai sniping is strong in this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...