The_Bard

Any point to playing Chinese tanks post 8.8?

Well WG is reported to be nerfing the heat pen on the IS-2 from 300 to 250. Is there any point to playing the Chinese line after the nerf? IS-2 and 110 with the high pen gold was the whole point, right? Just wondering what people's thoughts are since I recently got the Type 58.

The only ones really affected are the IS-2, T-34-2, and stock 110 (and premiums, although if they get preferential it's cool). The other tanks all have different guns and will be just fine.

There is a lot more to the Chinese than just high gold pen on 122mm guns.

Personally, I like the 100mm gun better on the 110. Better ROF, more accurate, better aiming time. The 122mm was a pain in the ass at mid-long range. Very frustrating gun. + Expensive if you spam gold.

I have only played the Chinese to some degree (light tier VII, medium tier VII, heavy tier VIII). But I have fallen in love with some of the tanks:

• T-34-1 is the Type59's evil little brother. That thing has a 100mm gun on a tier VII medium. 250 alpha, 175mm pen. This gun performs only slightly better on the Type59 (6mm more pen inter alia) but you get it one tier lower :D . The tank itself is tiny, making it a very hard target to hit. Moreover it is the king of sidehugging because almost any tank you face will be much taller than this pocket med. Even if they have a turret you are so small they will have real trouble hitting you (and your turret armor is very good). In my opinion, T-34-1 is currently the best tier VII med in the game. Ok, hull armor isn't good (but still nicely sloped) and the lack of gun depression can be annoying but I can live with that. Needs a wet-ammo rack and auto-fire extinguisher, though.
  • WZ-121: 85mm sniper gun with truely evil gold ammo (it can pen an E-100 at long range :tongue: ), great camo values. Really cool tank. A nice multi-talent since it can scout, snipe and flank.
  • 110: As long as you can hide the lower frontal plate and avoid getting flanked this thing bounces better than an IS-3. The turret and upper frontal hull are way better than on the Soviet original. Probably one of the better tier VIII heavies.

Right 250 pen is still crazy good at tier 7, but I was hoping for some intense 300 pen IS-2 statpadding.

There is a lot more to the Chinese than just high gold pen on 122mm guns.

Personally, I like the 100mm gun better on the 110. Better ROF, more accurate, better aiming time. The 122mm was a pain in the ass at mid-long range. Very frustrating gun. + Expensive if you spam gold.

• 110: As long as you can hide the lower frontal plate and avoid getting flanked this thing bounces better than an IS-3. The turret and upper frontal hull are way better than on the Soviet original. Probably one of the better tier VIII heavies.

That gun was super frustrating...I would be fully aimed in at the side of a Tiger H with the whole tank in that monster reticle only to hear "They dinged us"...The shell velocity out of the IS-2's 122 is almost like dripping molasses in winter.  I sucked in it and ended with a 1.1ish spec damage...Shamefur indeed...

The 110 is nice close to tier (8's and 9's).  Basically Tiger 2 pen (10 less I think) and alpha with a faster reload.  The turret is lulzy and it has okay depression for hiding that LFP and still popping shots.  I either play it well or just straight potato (usually in Tier X games) so my opinion is crap based on my stats in it  :tongue:

Right 250 pen is still crazy good at tier 7, but I was hoping for some intense 300 pen IS-2 statpadding.

250 vs 300 isn't going to make much difference for most of the tanks you will shoot, except maybe upper glacis of E-75.

OMG totally OP gold ammo nerfed to be only slightly OP*!  WG wai u gotta hurt us?

* You're damn right I used totally OP HEAT in my IS-2.....

250 vs 300 isn't going to make much difference for most of the tanks you will shoot, except maybe upper glacis of E-75.

With 250 you will have trouble penetrating E-100 anywhere except the rear, I think. Tracks/skirts will eat it up on the sides,and the lower glacis isn't going to be autopen since HEAT has no normalization. IS-7 will also be very tough except the rear as well. Good luck penetrating T110 anywhere either. (besides the rear and turret side)

It will be lower plate or bust against any tank higher than tier 8, which isn't too bad. Though I will point out it's not like T-34-2 is overpowered or anything. You don't see 3x T-34-2 pub stomp platoons, do you?

With 250 you will have trouble penetrating E-100 anywhere except the rear, I think. Tracks/skirts will eat it up on the sides,and the lower glacis isn't going to be autopen since HEAT has no normalization. IS-7 will also be very tough except the rear as well. Good luck penetrating T110 anywhere either. (besides the rear and turret side)

It will be lower plate or bust against any tank higher than tier 8, which isn't too bad. Though I will point out it's not like T-34-2 is overpowered or anything. You don't see 3x T-34-2 pub stomp platoons, do you?

Good thing IS-2 won't see those tanks then. 

Good thing IS-2 won't see those tanks then. 

I think he was refering to the T-34-3 which was supposed to have the same ammo.

Is there any point to playing the Chinese line after the nerf?

For the 111 1-4. The tank is broken, trust me. 110 is overrated, don't see how people ignore the "I'm an IS-8 thats better in every way meaningful" tank after it, lol.

For the 111 1-4. The tank is broken, trust me. 110 is overrated, don't see how people ignore the "I'm an IS-8 thats better in every way meaningful" tank after it, lol.

Was my intended final destination for the China HT crew I just ground out. Looking forward to having a 111 1-4 for when I am not feeling like T-54! Plus its way under the radar of both pubs and the public. 

Lol you can easily penetrate the sides of a 110 with 175 pen AP (I've damaged one with the 112 pen of the 59-16), you can usually pen the side of an IS-7 with 175, and 250 will take you through the turret sides of an E100 without trying.  (Hell, it'll probably take the lower plate if you have non-terrible angle)..

Why dont you open up this thread in official WoT forum - might fit better there ...

facepalm - whine about 250mm pen with t7-8 tanks

No one is whining. I asked a simple question if it was still worth it. I already have the IS-7 line completed so the question is really is it worth playing essentially the same tank over again if it is no longer ridiculously OP. As others were nice enough to point out its still a good tank and so is the tier 8 and 9.

And other normal tier 8 meds don't have 300 pen, yet they somehow manage. 

Other tier 8 meds don't have 0.48 accuracy, and they have better than 3.4 sec aim time. They also have DPM better than T34.

I have no problem with IS-2 being nerfed, but T-34-2 will suffer an unneeded nerf. It's not like "oh, whenever you can see sides you can pen with 175 pen you can just switch shells" with a 14 second reload time.

And remember T-34-2 has like, 3 degrees gun depression. "Good angle" will depend mostly on the stupidity of your opponent, not so much the ability of the tank to put the gun into play. Remember 175 pen against angled IS-7 sides (falseboards on the sides, internal armor is 150mm angled), any angling by IS-7 and penetration will not be likely except at point blank range.

Unsure about T-34-3, because with nerfed HEAT pen it could be pretty okay as t8 with preferential matchmaking. If it does, then it'd be the same story as IS-2.

Also, 110 is not a tank "higher than tier 8," which means I wouldn't be indicating that T-34-2 would have problems shooting through it. It's the tier 9s and 10s that would be troublesome.

I suppose the 100mm would be a more viable choice, then I can have a tier 8 medium that's worse in every way than its premium counterpart!

Only reason I'm grinding that line, my IS-8 stats are my equal career best and along with the T-54 and T-62a it's my favourite daily driver.  Hoping it doesn't suffer the same flaws as the rest of the Chinese line.  Namely that they are supposedly identical to the Russian equivalent, but better, but in reality actually worse in every way except gold pen.

Other tier 8 meds don't have 0.48 accuracy, and they have better than 3.4 sec aim time. They also have DPM better than T34.

I have no problem with IS-2 being nerfed, but T-34-2 will suffer an unneeded nerf. It's not like "oh, whenever you can see sides you can pen with 175 pen you can just switch shells" with a 14 second reload time.

And remember T-34-2 has like, 3 degrees gun depression. "Good angle" will depend mostly on the stupidity of your opponent, not so much the ability of the tank to put the gun into play. Remember 175 pen against angled IS-7 sides (falseboards on the sides, internal armor is 150mm angled), any angling by IS-7 and penetration will not be likely except at point blank range.

Unsure about T-34-3, because with nerfed HEAT pen it could be pretty okay as t8 with preferential matchmaking. If it does, then it'd be the same story as IS-2.

Also, 110 is not a tank "higher than tier 8," which means I wouldn't be indicating that T-34-2 would have problems shooting through it. It's the tier 9s and 10s that would be troublesome.

I suppose the 100mm would be a more viable choice, then I can have a tier 8 medium that's worse in every way than its premium counterpart!

You know, T-34-2 does have an 100m.

You know, T-34-2 does have an 100m.

He was saying that the T-34-2 with the 100mm is worse in every way than the Type 59.

He was saying that the T-34-2 with the 100mm is worse in every way than the Type 59.

I missed the last line. That's not the fault of the T-34-2 but that of Type being released too good. Comparing to T-34-3, it should be fine. T-44 and some other meds aren't going to pen IS-7 side reliably either, so I don't get where all this complaining is coming from. Heavy tanks 2 tiers above you are supposed to be hard to kill. There are other tanks on the field to kill. Mow Mow of all people I would expect to not be hung up on this prem round crutch.

This is ridiculous. Drive a E100 and with 235 pen you can still hurt tier 10s. It's just about hitting weak spots.

Please don't whine about your 250 pen at tier 8...You've just been spoilt till now :/

The tank will perform as good as ever except at tier 9/10 where it shouldn't be on par.