squidy_2016

T-54 via T54ltwt or t-44?

I am working toward the T-54. I currently have both the LTTB and T-43. Would like to have some opinions on which route to take first, and the reasoning to do so. I have not found specific info on this, even though there is great info available for both lines.

Thank you

6d34c1b000e9bf4a09ae317598cd468a.jpg

personally if I had to regrind the line I would go LTTB --> 54LT due to the lightweight's usefulness in tier 8 clan wars vs the T44's utter lack of usefulness, the LTTB is also superior to the T43... but by going down the light tanks you will not really have a good medium crew for the T54 and will have to drop gold on the retrain to have any effectiveness.

Currently, light tanks are underpowered badly due to the maps, and so it may be easier to go via the T-44. The T-43 is a good tank, but it plays more like a cromwell than a T-34-85, as in, you have to use the greater mobility and good dpm, and avoid trying to rely on your non-existent armor. It's tough to get used to after the pubstomper that is the 34-85, and will likely frustrate you. The T-44 is pretty average, and will be important for you to learn how the T-54 plays. You have solid armor, and good mobility, but lower pen, and will have to rely on prem rounds to deal damage when you are the lower tiers. This will also give you the LB-1, so you won't have to unlock it when you get to the T-54, unless you have free xp for it. The mediums will in general be easier to play than the lights, because you have the surviveability that light tanks lack in the tighter, closer range maps we currently have.

Regardless of the technical aspects what is your end goal?  If its the T-54 then either line gets you there; the medium line with a crew, and the light line with a keeper tank (T-54 ltwt) and likely without a crew.  If your goal is Hover meds then the medium line leads to three versions rather than two and you will need the crews anyway...

For me, I preferred the light play to two meh medium tanks...

Thank you for the great info. I still have some time to decide. (Should run these for a while before befowling the next tier) One thing to keep in mind is that I am currently working on increasing my average damage. (Completely ignored stats for the first 3000 battles and erroneously focused on scouting.) End goal is to aquire high tier, high dpm vehicles. I Will aquire both lines eventually, as I love the light tanks and am collecting all the Russians over time.

I went for 416 line and T54LT, both lines are good and i would recommend T54LT line because of T54LT (SH8/CW8 tank) also becouse you are more fragile and it will make you a better player.

Crew is easy to retrain even with CR becouse of specials and combat reserves. 

T44, t8 light tanks are only gimmick tanks to ``play 4 fun`` (hahahah, playing light tanks for fun)

So T44 > any tier 8 light tank for that matter

ps: and T44 gives both a better crew and a more similar playstyle compared to T54 ltwt (T44 and T54 both need safe stowage as first loader skill and repair, followed by moar repair and gun handling, followed by camo as 3e skill, on T54 ltwl you need a mix of camo and repair, which means dropping safe stowage and gun handling skills

16 minutes ago, GehakteMolen said:

T44, t8 light tanks are only gimmick tanks to ``play 4 fun`` (hahahah, playing light tanks for fun)

I play the T49 for fun :feelsbad:

I'd go with the T-44, for two reasons already stated above and one that isn't

1. It matches the playstyle of the T-54 a lot more

2. You'll lose less xp retraining a medium crew to a different medium than a light tank crew to a med if you're using credits

and 3. The T-44 and the 54 ltwt are extremely similar; you can play the 54 ltwt like you would a T-44 and you wouldn't do badly at all.  But the T-44 gets better matchmaking due to not being a scout.

Light tanks are honestly pretty miserable to play in and they are probably not the best thing for a newer player to try to learn in (mistakes get punished so harshly it can be hard to tell why something was a mistake). I would choose the T44 line for you even though I actually did the 54LT.

I went MT25-LTTB-T54LW-T54.

All of the tanks were fun. I found the grind to be fast and relatively cheap. And I wanted the T54LW as a keeper for team stuff.

I didn't mind that I would need another crew for the T54 because I had good spare Russian crews at the time and also a good medium trainer in the Rudy.

Im just going to say: the T-54 LW is technically a better tier 8 medium tank than the T-44. But it just gets bad MM. Honestly the armour on both (especially turret armour) is similar enough on both to bounce sinilar number of shots, but the LW has all the bonuses of a light tank, and better gun handling. 

Along with this, you also end up with probably the best tier 8 light tank, and a tank that is literally the most common tank needed in tier 8 CW (I have gotten through 3 different tier 8 campaigns with literally only the LW as my viable tier 8)

I went through the T-44, but only because the light line hadnt been inplemented yet. I went back and got the lights later.

T-44 would be a better tank for OP. Lets be real here, he's garbage. The T-44 is the best T8 MT in the game for garbage players due to its low weight. Couple that with having a medium crew and it's a no brainer, go for the meds & come back to the lights when you are bored or are a better player.

If you absolutely have to go get a T-54 then go through the 44 as the Lwt is only for the brave or skillful  in pubs. Don't even think about the Lwt if you don't do competitive stuff like Strongholds.

To play a medium like the T-54 well you need to be able to make good decisions about when to move and where to move, and when you've got there, to do lots of damage. The difference here is that lights dont have to do lots of damage. Tier 10 and 9 tanks make a real mess of T-54s (or 44s) if you make the wrong decisions. I suffered hard in mine, with twice the battles you now have. You can get the T-54 one way or another, but surviving in it for an enjoyable amount of time is another matter unless you've got the experience to do so. 

So I suggest that before leaving tier 7 at all, its important to get reasonably good at either lights or mediums else people will yell at you in tier 9 games. For lights, if you have the LTTB (and some lower tier scouts) work through the youtube videos (I think Wargaming even made some in the Tank Academy) on how to scout and focus on keeping the enemies lit rather than doing damage. Practice in a training room with clanmates.  There are various playstyles to learn (surfing ridges or peeking with optics, bush camping with binos, etc) all of which are rewarding when you figure them them out and use them so that your team can shred the guys you spot. You get xp for half the dmg they do while you are spotting, but WN8 only for tanks spotted.

Once you can do a good job in a middle tier light, go back to your mid tier mediums and use some of what you learned from the lights to start getting better in those.

Consider the T-54 to be a reward (one day) for doing it the right way in the fullness of time

1 hour ago, Gryphon_ said:

If you absolutely have to go get a T-54 then go through the 44 as the Lwt is only for the brave or skillful  in pubs. Don't even think about the Lwt if you don't do competitive stuff like Strongholds.

To play a medium like the T-54 well you need to be able to make good decisions about when to move and where to move, and when you've got there, to do lots of damage. The difference here is that lights dont have to do lots of damage. Tier 10 and 9 tanks make a real mess of T-54s (or 44s) if you make the wrong decisions. I suffered hard in mine, with twice the battles you now have. You can get the T-54 one way or another, but surviving in it for an enjoyable amount of time is another matter unless you've got the experience to do so. 

So I suggest that before leaving tier 7 at all, its important to get reasonably good at either lights or mediums else people will yell at you in tier 9 games. For lights, if you have the LTTB (and some lower tier scouts) work through the youtube videos (I think Wargaming even made some in the Tank Academy) on how to scout and focus on keeping the enemies lit rather than doing damage. Practice in a training room with clanmates.  There are various playstyles to learn (surfing ridges or peeking with optics, bush camping with binos, etc) all of which are rewarding when you figure them them out and use them so that your team can shred the guys you spot. You get xp for half the dmg they do while you are spotting, but WN8 only for tanks spotted.

Once you can do a good job in a middle tier light, go back to your mid tier mediums and use some of what you learned from the lights to start getting better in those.

Consider the T-54 to be a reward (one day) for doing it the right way in the fullness of time

Very good advice. I have typically run scouts. (spent time in the trainer with a great scout from my last clan) and only recently began running meds and heavies. I have finally gotten to the point that I understand position and spotting mechanics better than the other aspects of the game. (this is one of the many reasons for the terrible stats...spot for 3900 dmg the other day received a WN8 of 380, never fired a shot) have done well in the t-34 actually received my first mark of excellence in that tank. Not bad in the T-34-85 win rate is low, my performance mediocre. Upon researching the forums here I have determined that I have went about this all ass backwards. I am currently spending more time in the mid tier meds and really enjoy them. As previously posted I will work these lines slowly before moving to the higher tier meds. I have been researching maps, and trying to get a better understanding of the "flow of battle" and mechanics. any help there is appreciated.

2 hours ago, Rexxie said:

T-44 would be a better tank for OP. Lets be real here, he's garbage. The T-44 is the best T8 MT in the game for garbage players due to its low weight. Couple that with having a medium crew and it's a no brainer, go for the meds & come back to the lights when you are bored or are a better player.

oh, I was on my phone, didnt see his stats.

in that case yeah, the T-44 would be a better choice

I pretty much did both. But I started going down the T-44 line first.

I only really started going down the Russian light tank line when I started being active in clans, particularly as the T-54 ltwt was pretty a staple for tier 8 clan wars then.

The T-44 is the most straightforward way to the T-54. You get to unlock and use the LB-1 100mm gun (which i'm still grinding with atm), rather than the D-10T 1945 that the T-54 ltwt gets. if you do invest in the T-54 ltwt though you could unlock the V-14 engine and mount that sooner in the T-54 to up your mobility

T-44 is also one of the best tier 8 medium tanks for pub battles