Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong subsection, but I couldn't find anything better.

I've been looking at the penetration values at different guns, and I've been wondering how WG finds these values.  For example, I've seen values at 90 degree, 45 degrees, 15 degrees, etc.  Which ones do they use?

They basically look at what was "historical" given records, since the different countries at the time had different methods of testing. Then they put that in the game, and play around with it to suit game balance, and whatnot.

1 hour ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

They basically look at what was "historical" given records, since the different countries at the time had different methods of testing. Then they put that in the game, and play around with it to suit game balance, and whatnot.

Yeah but often the penetration is messed around with beyond recognition, or tanks are given unhistorical guns. While it is for balance, wg suck at that, so you are left with tanks like the tiger 1 or panther with completely different guns(in fact many German mid tier tanks) or tanks with massively altered pen- t54 330 heat pen for balance (still op) was reduced from a historical 400 pen.

You have to keep in mind that in reality shell mechanic is completely differente so real life values cant be directly put into the game. For example there is no normalisation, in reality the opposite is true. You have much more chance in penetrating the flatest part of the 250 turret than the angled 120mm hull. 

And then there is balancing factors.

And then there RNG.

53 minutes ago, Gr1nch_1 said:

And then there is balancing factors.

And then there RNG.

and then wargaming comes in all herp derp with as much skill as the average pubbie and is like HHEEEEYYYYY lets do stuff.

55 minutes ago, Gr1nch_1 said:

You have to keep in mind that in reality shell mechanic is completely differente so real life values cant be directly put into the game. For example there is no normalisation, in reality the opposite is true. You have much more chance in penetrating the flatest part of the 250 turret than the angled 120mm hull. 

Pretty sure there is normalisation due to how the shell hits angled surfaces mebbe- at steep angles the side of the shell would hit, not the point, changing the shells direction slightly. Even if point hits first one side of the shell will hit with greater force, changing the direction again. I'm pretty sure that's why ap and apcr have normalisation, someone correct me if I am completely bonkers...

37 minutes ago, garryallen said:

Pretty sure there is normalisation due to how the shell hits angled surfaces mebbe- at steep angles the side of the shell would hit, not the point, changing the shells direction slightly. Even if point hits first one side of the shell will hit with greater force, changing the direction again. I'm pretty sure that's why ap and apcr have normalisation, someone correct me if I am completely bonkers...

In theory, but what actually happens is more like this:

3 hours ago, Tedster59 said:

In theory, but what actually happens is more like this:

so it kinda of deflects of the outer shell casing? thats wierd. so its almost like negative normalisation in some cases?

8 hours ago, Gr1nch_1 said:

Do you know by any chance @Tedster59 how much degrees does it "add" to the sloping? And is it more or less pronounced with APCR shells?

I'm not an expert, but to my knowledge, extreme slope is even more effective against APCR/APDS shells of the era, but modern APFSDS doesn't really care about angles unless it's like 85 degrees from normal IIRC.  the exact angle depends on the size/design of the shell/tip, armor thickness, and angle of impact.  The videos on that guy's channel aren't mine, but definitely illustrate some of the properties.

another cool video from his channel