Fedaykin89

The Czech Kolo-Hose - The Tier 1 Abomination

Okay, I'm calling it here for now.  I'm nearly 900 battles into this tank and haven't had a performance better than what I was able to do in that first play session.  That's not why I'm really stopping though.  I'm stopping because there's a replay on WoTReplays of an Ltraktor scoring 1696 XP with no Ace medal.  In hindsight, I could have seen this before I chose to start playing this, but whatever.

In the process of playing this tank, I ended up with a DPG and win rate which, according to DPGwhores, is well beyond what anyone else has been able to consistently do.  Remarkably enough, this performance does not qualify as being unicum-level in WN8, but that shouldn't be surprising given that low tier expected values have always been bullshit high and the Kolo values were probably adapted from expecteds from tanks that did well in the properly-populated vision meta.  I accomplish this in a climate where three in every four games seem to be a full tier 2 match with no more than a handful of tier 1s and every fourth game is a pity-balance tier 1 game against 7-10 tanks, putting me up disproportionally against tier 2s and starving me out of damage opportunities in tier 1 games.

The truly surprising thing to me is that I seem to have ended up outperforming every single tier 1 player that has played recently.  I put this game down for nine months and came back to still blow everyone out of the water.  It's like every prominent clubber packed up all their shit and left when the meta shifted and nobody that stands out stepped in to fill their place and show everyone how things are done now.  That just goes to show me what I believed all along - most of those who were clubbing back during the vision meta weren't really that great of players deep down, and if their ability to play as they did vanished, they wouldn't know what to do.  Good riddance, fakers.  With the blogging out of the way, let's get to the tank.

This tank is pretty bad, but the gun is still a workable highlight.  Sure, it has mobility that is probably worse than the Renaults (the new Swedish tier 1 tank is probably going to be even worse somehow), but the firepower actually seems to be decent.  I probably wouldn't be saying this before 9.14, because that patch ended up nerfing the firepower of many tier 1s by removing some of their best guns (Side note: The effect of this change has been really jarring to me, since I used to understand tier 1s had enough firepower to really threaten tier 2 tanks.  These nerfs have tamed them so much that they really can't compete anymore, and this may partially explain why there are so few tier 1 players around anymore.).  The mobility makes it very hard to flex and very hard to use what firepower you have properly.  The shape of the tank doesn't help much either, demanding that you expose a large part of your weak front in order to poke out and do damage.  You need to have a very good sense of where to put yourself with this tank so that you don't get singled out and potato too many games.  You can't really win head-on engagements with most tanks if you aren't partially covered by rocks, walls, or hills.  If you have the survival skills to keep yourself alive, you'll have access to a gun with some fair DPM, and also penetration that would be good by even tier 2 standards.  Fun fact, the HE shell on this gun moves at a lower velocity than the normal shell, giving it a large arc that makes it useful for hitting targets that are sitting behind cover.  This is unique for the tier and gives it an extra bit of utility that can be used to be effective in otherwise dangerous or unwinnable positions.

It's definitely better than any of the Renaults and the Vickers.  It's probably better than the MS-1, not better than the Ltraktor, and the value versus a T1 is debatable (I'd say T1 is better in tier 1 and Koho is better in tier 2).

And this is the point where I would upload some replays to show you some of my best performances and give a more visual idea of how to play, but none of them are watchable in 9.15.2.  Hooray.

Good luck to those of you who continue to chase Ace medals in this thing.  You will probably have to wait until WG fixes a bug that is making them nigh impossible to obtain.

WG solved their clubber problem with traditional WG approach: they just made tier 2 so utterly unenjoyable that not even many clubbers can stand it any more. I generally played 2s for on track doubles but even I couldn't take it after a while the tier is so brokenly shit. You get a bunch of pointless 7v7 games (The player numbers are dropping about 10% per year, so it's harder to even get a game at lower tiers and WG made the problem worse by screwing with the MM at tier 1-3), everything is spamming auto cannon APCR completely fucking the entire balance between armor and penetration, and you get the trash map one game out of 4 or 5. The bulk of the pedotankers still left run around with the M2 Light shooting pure APCR and losing 20k+ credits per game, so unless you want to piss away mountains of credits alongside them you're always at the disadvantage because that tank is OP balls with that config and APCR spam.

I wager a lot moved to tier 5 or something and/or just stopped playing.

I can't imagine the consequences of doing that will bode well for them in the long run.  I talked on my blog about how I didn't see a real solution to the clubber problem, but that came with the assumption that WG wouldn't totally trash that area of the game and risk it giving a poor first impression to new players in general.

Maybe Sandbox will fix it, whatever their plans for it then may be.  If it doesn't work out though, I wonder if the population will get so bad, both at the bottom and the top, that they'll cut the NA server or merge it with EU.

On 8/31/2016 at 9:17 PM, Kuroialty said:

I now have more Kolobanov's medals with this tank than Ace medals and am outperforming every Russian that shows up on wot-news.  In fact, I'm not sure how I'm able to perform so much better than anyone else.

same as I-go. I like your style. You are the Garbad of tiers 1-2.

Now I just need to launch a few Mel Gibson-level statements, rename and delete all of the topics I've ever started, get into cockfights with forum members a few times, get permabanned by a flavor-of-the-month moderator, and staunchly support a game that weakly competes with WoTs userbase, and my transformation will be complete.

On 17/09/2016 at 7:10 AM, Kuroialty said:

Okay, I'm calling it here for now.  I'm nearly 900 battles into this tank and haven't had a performance better than what I was able to do in that first play session.  That's not why I'm really stopping though.  I'm stopping because there's a replay on WoTReplays of an Ltraktor scoring 1696 XP with no Ace medal.  In hindsight, I could have seen this before I chose to start playing this, but whatever.

In the process of playing this tank, I ended up with a DPG and win rate which, according to DPGwhores, is well beyond what anyone else has been able to consistently do.  Remarkably enough, this performance does not qualify as being unicum-level in WN8, but that shouldn't be surprising given that low tier expected values have always been bullshit high and the Kolo values were probably adapted from expecteds from tanks that did well in the properly-populated vision meta.  This in a climate where three in every four games seems to be a full tier match with no more than a handful of tier 1s and every fourth game is 7-10 tier 1s, putting me up disproportionally against tier 2s and starving me out of damage opportunities in tier 1 games.

The truly surprising thing to me is that I seem to have ended up outperforming every single tier 1 player that has played recently.  I put this game down for nine months and came back to still blow everyone out of the water.  It's like every prominent clubber packed up all their shit and left when the meta shifted and nobody that stands out stepped in to fill their place and show everyone how things are done now.  That just goes to show me what I believed all along - most of those who were clubbing back during the vision meta weren't really that great of players deep down, and if their ability to play as they did vanished, they wouldn't know what to do.  Good riddance, fakers.  With the blogging out of the way, let's get to the tank.

This tank is pretty bad, but the gun is still a workable highlight.  Sure, it has mobility that is probably worse than the Renaults (the new Swedish tier 1 tank is probably going to be even worse somehow), but the firepower actually seems to be decent.  I probably wouldn't be saying this before 9.14, because that patch ended up nerfing the firepower of many tier 1s by removing some of their best guns (Side note: The effect of this change has been really jarring to me, since I used to understand tier 1s had enough firepower to really threaten tier 2 tanks.  These nerfs have tamed them so much that they really can't compete anymore, and this may partially explain why there are so few tier 1 players around anymore.).  The mobility makes it very hard to flex and very hard to use what firepower you have properly.  The shape of the tank doesn't help much either, demanding that you expose a large part of your weak front in order to poke out and do damage.  You need to have a very good sense of where to put yourself with this tank so that you don't get singled out and potato too many games.  You can't really win head-on engagements with most tanks if you aren't partially covered by rocks, walls, or hills.  If you have the survival skills to keep yourself alive, you'll have access to a gun with some fair DPM, and also penetration that would be good by even tier 2 standards.  Fun fact, the HE shell on this gun moves at a lower velocity than the normal shell, giving it a large arc that makes it useful for hitting targets that are sitting behind cover.  This is unique for the tier and gives it an extra bit of utility that can be used to be effective in otherwise dangerous or unwinnable positions.

It's definitely better than any of the Renaults and the Vickers.  It's probably better than the MS-1, not better than the Ltraktor, and the value versus a T1 is debatable (I'd say T1 is better in tier 1 and Koho is better in tier 2).

And this is the point where I would upload some replays to show you some of my best performances and give a more visual idea of how to play, but none of them are watchable in 9.15.2.  Hooray.

Good luck to those of you who continue to chase Ace medals in this thing.  You will probably have to wait until WG fixes a bug that is making them nigh impossible to obtain.

Wow... Your dedication to this is... staggering, to say the least.
Still haven't sold it yet, maybe in 1000 years I'll able to grind out the crew to 100% and start training camo on it or something, yet even so I doubt I will ever come close to Mastering it.

7 minutes ago, Fedaykin89 said:

maybe in 1000 years I'll able to grind out the crew to 100% and start training camo on it or something

It's a tier 1 vehicle, it should come with a free 100% crew.  Did you get rid of it?

I would recommend Clutch Braking and Snap Shot for first skills over Camo, perhaps even Signal Boosting (yes, I'm serious) and Controlled Impact as second skills before Camo if you ever get there.

Just now, Kuroialty said:

It's a tier 1 vehicle, it should come with a free 100% crew.  Did you get rid of it?

I would recommend Clutch Braking and Snap Shot for first skills over Camo, perhaps even Signal Boosting (yes, I'm serious) and Controlled Impact as second skills before Camo if you ever get there.

Derp, went full retard and confused it with the T24 grind to get a decent crew for the marathon.
Thanks for the tips! Thought that some extra camo might help me survive for some few more seconds on Mittengard or even on Mines

There is absolutely no way Camo will ever help you on Shittentard unless you are arty, and even that is a stretch larger than the map size.  Same can be said for Himmelsdorf without the arty caveat.  It also won't help you out on Mines as much as the other skills unless you are playing extremely passively, but you won't perform well with this tank by doing that.

20 hours ago, Felicius said:

same as I-go. I like your style. You are the Garbad of tiers 1-2.

Garbad was a skilled player.

What a NIGHTMARE this tank was to get Ace Tanker - 6 kills is not enough - I needed 7 kills and 561 damage
( base xp needed was 820 to get the Ace Tanker )

I recommend fitting vents , camo net and binocs , and using food and fuel consumables to buff the fire rate and mobility respectively

I also used the struggle to get the Ace Tanker to get sixth sense and recon on the commander and camouflage training on the driver

( this really helps to avoid you taking return damage in a game ) - but its not easy to play , especially on that awful Mittengard .

I agree that " The shape of the tank doesn't help much either, demanding that you expose a large part of your weak front in order to poke out and do damage. 

You need to have a very good sense of where to put yourself with this tank so that you don't get singled out and potato too many games. 

You can't really win head-on engagements with most tanks if you aren't partially covered by rocks, walls, or hills."

Base XP like that still won't Ace it on NA.  Seen here, 845 base XP for 7 kills and 575 damage still isn't good enough.  I doubt I'll personally bother to chase after the Ace on this again until there's evidence to show the cutoff has dipped below 1k or the population size significantly improves.

While I'm here, let me mention my final loadout: Binocs, GLD, and Vents for equipment; basic repair, advanced med kit, and advanced repair for consumables; 32 AP, 32 APCR, 16 HE; Snap Shot, Camo, and Signal Boosting on Commander, Clutch Braking, Camo, and Controlled Impact on Driver.  GLD could be switched for camo net, but I don't see myself in as many situations where I'd rather have the net instead of GLD.  Advanced kits rarely get used, but the saves help you avoid things breaking when you get hit, which happens a lot on this tank.  HE rounds are good for reasons I mentioned previously.  Skills don't make a big difference on this tank, so I just stuck with some staples.  I will say again though that Sixth Sense is pointless.  You shouldn't need it to tell you when you've been spotted when two-thirds of your games are fought on Himmelsdorf and Shittentard.

Hi Kuroialty

Yes , I know what you mean , the fact is that this took me the longest ever to Ace Tanker ( and I have 189 Ace Tankers from Tier 1 to 10 )

the awful maps in the EU server and the auto-loader tanks at tier 1 and 2 , make it a nightmare , plus the MM changes ( balancing ) mean

having a good game , its the Mines or Himmelsdorf Map that give the best chances - enhanced gun laying drive is a smart choice  

maybe things will improve for your Ace Chances in the 2 weeks when the new Swedish Tier 1's are introduced ??

When the new Swedish tanks come out, I will probably play them right away if I have any interest in playing them at all.  If I don't, I run the risk of getting into another situation like this one when the population dwindles again.

I think the Swedish tier 2 light/medium looked pretty good from what I can remember, so I will probably play that at least.

@Kuroialty152 games later - ACED!

Defeat Abbey Kolohousenka Experience received:1,058      17,436    Battle achievements Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker" Ammunition:    -16 012   Total:    1 424      WN8: 8 016 (100) - Base exp of ONLY 440... The FUCK!? Not complaining, because I finally have it. Fuck this piece of shit tank. Tier II battle 5/10 BTW.

So, it came out of retirement because of the launch of the ITL tanks, and the expected refilling of low tiers with it. Also, I think I've figured out that Ace targets are a weekly thing - and it resets on Friday. So, I've only been playing my tanks I'm trying to Ace on the weekend, Friday-Sunday, and letting the shitters suck in them the other 4 days. It has paid off dividends, as I've knocked out several tanks I've not be able to hit afore. Additionally, I think major patches bork it similar to MoE's... So, again, even easier with a new line out.

Regardless, fucking done with this, final stats:

57.89% over 152 battles
2.69/2.59 Damage/Kill ratios
231 DPG, 1.55 spots/game, 1.66 KPG (this thing is SLOW and BLIND)
Max exp was 1,259... which makes this 440 Base all the funnier.
Max damage of 665 (did 605 in the Ace)
Max kills of 8 (only 6 on Ace, still amazed that other game dinnae give me it.)
CO - BiA, 6th, Camo 87%
Driver - BiA, Camo, Off-Road 87%
Binos/Optics/Vents - 40/40 APCR/HE (Thanks, Kuro, for the HE tip), LFAK/LRK/AFE (crew wasn't back to 100% at start of match, so no food)

So, I'm not a fan of Abbey being added to low tiers... LOTS of base/bush kemping going on. And a little large for the Tier I speeds. But, it worked out! Finally...

Sold: 'Kolohousenka' successfully sold. Received  :  17,440. Spent  :  20.

Fuck. This. Tank.

I just got the Ace in this myself off 752 base XP.  Nice to see that the requirement for Ace in this is finally reasonable.  I just wish I didn't have to sink 900 battles into the tank to prove a fucking point.  All the caveats I mentioned above about this tank and my stats with it still apply.

WNYjob4.jpg

Abbey is fine in tiers 1 and 2 and a huge step up from Shittentard.  The base camping is a bit lame, but par for the course, and the bush camping just means view range is somewhat relevant again, and that's great.  It's no sniper's paradise, but that's fine.

Italian low tiers are all pretty good.  L6/40 has been giving me huge problems though - ~50% win rate over the first 50 or so games despite having best DPM I've seen in it.  Will write more on them later once I've finished hitting 150 in the tier 2s.