leggasiini

G1 R...appreciation thread?

Bought it today to 3 mark it. Ehhh...

Let me ask first...did you even know that this tank exists? I wouldnt be surprised if some of you who play mostly hightiers actually didnt.

Its actually kinda fun, but...its pretty shitty too. Mobility is...pretty bad, and gun handling and module damage are outright disgusting. Having little more armor and notably better shell velocity than other 105s does make it kinda unique and still fun to play, but it might be just that i am masochist and i like derps.

What you think about it?

Well, seeing how the French medium line is very incomplete, my medium crew is stuck in it until I can finally get the tier 9.  It's slightly inferior to the Sherman or the PzIV, but it's still a pretty fun tank.   I've run it with the derp and the 75mm.   It works fine with either gun and it's really just a matter of taste.  Occasionally I've had some pretty epic games in it.  Claus just did my 9 kill game where I was the sole tier 5 and it was just a slaughter-

I played about 60 battles in this thing, having a derp gun on a French tank is somewhat of a novelty. Shouldn't be too hard to 3-mark, but since it's a derp gun you are often at the mercies of RNG.

IMO it needs a slight buff, to the 75mm to give you two viable guns. I never even considered the 75mm, I'm having enough trouble penning stuff with 132 AP pen in the Skoda T24, no reason to think that 127 APCR will do any better.

The biggest problem with this vehicle is the lack of viable guns you get. The derp isn't great and it's basically your only option.

I found it not as bad as I expected, but I expected it to be awful when it's merely lousy. The fast shell velocity compensates for a lot, no other 105 can do shit at long range but this one can make the shots. Hull armor is not that bad, has some decent auto bounce angles and the side thickness tricks people when optimally angled. It really only needs a minor gun buff, bring the turret bloom down slightly and the RoF up a hair and I think it'd be pretty balanced. As it stands M4 is just better thanks to the exceptional gun depression and view range, and the M4 is pretty average.

I dont mind if it has worse RoF, but the gun handling is kinda silly. What if they buffed gun handling and instead of rof they buffed HP into 550 - 600 so it would be actual heavium?

Definitely worse than other tier 5 derps but the shell velocity is too intoxicating. 

I wish it did more damage and stopped penning tracks or hitting for 0-50 dmg.

1 hour ago, Sidus_Preclarum said:

The worst thing about this tank is it's fucking retarded crew layout (radio opetator, and no gunner)

I was kinda tempted as i noticed how SARL 42 had same crew loadout as my Ravioli, so i expected that to be same with G1 R, but then got majorly dissapointed...

I took the plunge recently into the low tier French tanks, going up the French medium-"heavy" tank line. I decided to go through the old school D1 -> D2 -> B1 route

mon Dieu... now I can understand how France got beaten so quickly during WWII by Germany. Tactically slow, awkward and cumbersome mobility and firepower. I decided early on to not even bother training crews for these turds, since there was nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, worth wasting those credits on.

Maybe I could've unlocked some hidden potential with a well trained, dedicated crew. I didn't want to put that to the test. And there was a 50% off on tier II to V tanks anyways. I've already reached the B1, still just gonna speed grind past it asap.

Could the alternative low tier French MT line have anything worthwhile to offer?

XWell, the arl is actually pretty decent...for a tier Iv and like I noted earlier it is the only other French media (tank even?)  to have the correct crew layout or the amx 30s

On 8/27/2016 at 9:29 PM, lt_lolcat said:

Well, seeing how the French medium line is very incomplete, my medium crew is stuck in it until I can finally get the tier 9.  It's slightly inferior to the Sherman or the PzIV, but it's still a pretty fun tank.   I've run it with the derp and the 75mm.   It works fine with either gun and it's really just a matter of taste.  Occasionally I've had some pretty epic games in it.  Claus just did my 9 kill game where I was the sole tier 5 and it was just a slaughter-

Goddamnit that commentary is fucking annoying.

Shell velocity with the 105 is surprisingly fast, and HEAT is still ammo of choice for pwning frontal armor.

G1R ace video (youtube link)

Tracks are quite fragile, engine gets busted a lot. Armor is a bit lacking, but not enough to be bad - you still get some bounces even from tier 7s, but it's nothing i can depend on. Other, more capable players might be able to make it work like a charm, though.

Using 75mm while i grind the blap gun. It's... meh. Bland. Still usable, though.