Jump to content
OOPMan

Mobile Phone Discussion

Recommended Posts

Next time, don't waste your money on a Galaxy Note and you will have money for a PC upgrades.

Buy a Xiaomi phone or something similar and stop getting ripped off by Samsung and their ShitWiz.

I know that is not immediately helpful to your problem but I think more people need to stop throwing their money down the drain with these overpriced flagship devices from Samsung, Sony and HTC when you can get a device with similar specs for half the price from lesser known manufacturers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

 

Buy a Xiaomi phone or something similar and stop getting ripped off by Samsung and their ShitWiz.

 

I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 after nearly getting a stroke of how fucking bad it was for how much I paid 450€ with contract when it came I feel like I got ripped off as fuck. I've then found the master piece that the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 is. 3GB ram, 32GB internal storage and up to 128GB expandable, 1080p 5.5" display, metal body at the back, you can actually see shit when there's sun outside without getting eyecancer from it. I paid fucking ~220€ w/ shipping from AliExpress, I got the phone for 2 or 3 months now and it's fucking perfect. It's comparable to a S7 edge, it's a tad slower in games but overall the same shit. I can run WoT Blitz at stable 60fps with my Xiaomi. Not a single freeze so far or ram problems. It just works flawlesly, there's simply no lag. Also, battery lasts so much longer than other "high end" phones. It's an over 4000mAh battery, last time I checked I had 1 day and 16 hours from last charge, 11+ hrs with screen and internet on. Go fuck yourself "flagshit" phones. Also has LTE support but no NFC. LTE mostly works in EU/UK and some carriers in the US.

 

TL;DR Stop buying fucking overpriced iShit's and Samsung's when Xiaomi is there. It's the best tech company in China right now for phones and it's quality. My 220€ phone is pretty much as good as a 700€ S7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Siimcy said:

TL;DR Stop buying fucking overpriced (iShit's and) Samsung's when Xiaomi is there. It's the best tech company in China right now for phones and it's quality. My 220€ phone is pretty much as good as a 700€ S7.

1

Apple doesn't have a substitute. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Apple doesn't have a substitute. ;)

 

Well, considering Xiaomi's MIUI apes the iOS look and feel you could say that it does ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

LsijKPc.jpg

 

Indeed. Luckily the devices come with an unlocked boot loader so it is generally very easy to swap out the ROM.

I have a Redmi Note 2 and am running a Mokee ROM on it which is based off Lollipop 5.1 and works brilliantly.

The only thing you really need to be careful of when buying devices from manufacturers like Xiaomi and their direct competitors is to make sure you avoid devices using a Mediatek chipset (Like my Redmi Note 2). Although Mediatek produces some nice chipsets that perform well, the company is very hostile to open-source and pretty much refuses to provide kernel source and driver packages. As a result, Mediatek devices tend to be locked to a given version of Android. This means that the odds are low I will ever run proper Marshmallow on my Redmi Note 2 for example. The Redmi Note 3 @Siimcy has is a better pick as it uses a Qualcomm chipset and they're not bad about providing source, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Indeed. Luckily the devices come with an unlocked boot loader so it is generally very easy to swap out the ROM.

I have a Redmi Note 2 and am running a Mokee ROM on it which is based off Lollipop 5.1 and works brilliantly.

The only thing you really need to be careful of when buying devices from manufacturers like Xiaomi and their direct competitors is to make sure you avoid devices using a Mediatek chipset (Like my Redmi Note 2). Although Mediatek produces some nice chipsets that perform well, the company is very hostile to open-source and pretty much refuses to provide kernel source and driver packages. As a result, Mediatek devices tend to be locked to a given version of Android. This means that the odds are low I will ever run proper Marshmallow on my Redmi Note 2 for example. The Redmi Note 3 @Siimcy has is a better pick as it uses a Qualcomm chipset and they're not bad about providing source, etc.

Snapdragon 650 masterrace. :hb: Anything that needs to be repaired you can do it yourself if you aren't totally retarded, if you drop your phone it's your fucking fault not Xiaomi's. I've had phones for more than half my life time and never once I had a broken screen or a scratch. I'm saying that because there's no warranty outside of Asia.

 

Anyone who's talking about buying a flagship phone for a fortune I direct them to Xiaomi, most people are scared because it's not known outside of Asia. They said they might officially expand the market to us but that may take a while. I personally did around 2 weeks of everyday research after pulling the trigger on the Redmi note 3. I mean if people want to spend money on overpriced but known brands they may as well. I personally try to always find the best bang for the buck.

 

What's there to complain?
 

+ Battery life is amazing, can hold 12 hours of usage(as in screen on and doing stuff)), or 2~3 days with some browsing
+ Best price/performance phone(confirmed by GSMArena, legit website), you can now get it for around 180€ with DHL shipping(I got mine from China in a week, 0 customs as well)
+ Snapdragon 650 CPU is really good, don't pick the Mediatek octa-core over this
+ 3GB of RAM, I usually have 1.7GB RAM free with the developer ROM I actually had 1.9GB~2GB most of the time
+ 32GB internal, up to 128GB or 256GB if you don't use a SIM card(dual SIM setup)
+ Fingerprint sensor on a 160€ phone(without shipping), like what it also works perfectly. Nobody but me can unlock the phone(tested). Registers very fast
+ 1080p display, 5.5inch
+ Adreno 510 GPU, as said I run WoT Blitz on pretty much 60fps constantly
+ Active, growing support community(seriously, the guides they have are 10/10 )
+ Really good quality when making calls(I always said "WHAT, WHAT DID YOU SAY?" while using Samsung Galaxshit S3)
+ Quality built, feels premium as it has a metal body on the back(hence no NFC in the first place)

 

- Non removable Li-Po battery(most phones do that nowadays anyways)
- No NFC
- LTE for the most part doesn't work in the US( luckily I'm an EU pleb, LTE works for me)
- No warranty, if you drop it because you're stupid it's your fault to begin with(you can fix any software related errors yourself, as in phone not booting etc)
- Camera is bad in bad lighting conditions, it's stabilization isn't very good either(I don't normally do pics anyways so I didn't give a single shit regarding that)

 

Verdict from GSM Arena

Quote

Verdict

The Snapdragon variant of the Redmi Note 3 is being launched at a price point at USD $148 (INR 9,999) for the 16GB model and $178 (INR 11,999) for the 32GB model, in India.

At that price, the phone represents phenomenal value for money. Even if you leave the price aside for a second, the Redmi Note 3 has a combination of a great design and build quality, good display, great performance, fingerprint sensor, and excellent battery life. Add to that the incredible pricing, and it makes it easier to ignore some of the shortcomings, such as the less than stellar camera, outdated version of Android, and the lack of proper fast charging, none of which are deal breakers to begin with. At this price, it is easily the best phone in its price range.

Review: http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_3_snapdragon-review-1405.php

I may seem like a fanboy and hell man I am. You can't beat it paying 1/5 of a flagship phone and get an identical performance or even a slight tad faster. It doesn't run the latest Android version, but what does it even offer for me to sacrifice my testicle to buy one?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MAJEST1C said:

Purchased S7 edge 2 weeks ago. I will trade it in 5-6 months for Note 7. No regrets worth it.

@Siimcy LTE works in US

 

I worded that wrongly. EU & the UK uses pretty much the same LTE bands like China therefore we don't have problems, while US some carriers don't support those bands so you can't use it everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Siimcy said:

Snapdragon 650 masterrace. :hb: Anything that needs to be repaired you can do it yourself if you aren't totally retarded, if you drop your phone it's your fucking fault not Xiaomi's. I've had phones for more than half my life time and never once I had a broken screen or a scratch. I'm saying that because there's no warranty outside of Asia.

 

Anyone who's talking about buying a flagship phone for a fortune I direct them to Xiaomi, most people are scared because it's not known outside of Asia. They said they might officially expand the market to us but that may take a while. I personally did around 2 weeks of everyday research after pulling the trigger on the Redmi note 3. I mean if people want to spend money on overpriced but known brands they may as well. I personally try to always find the best bang for the buck.

 

What's there to complain?
 

+ Battery life is amazing, can hold 12 hours of usage(as in screen on and doing stuff)), or 2~3 days with some browsing
+ Best price/performance phone(confirmed by GSMArena, legit website), you can now get it for around 180€ with DHL shipping(I got mine from China in a week, 0 customs as well)
+ Snapdragon 650 CPU is really good, don't pick the Mediatek octa-core over this
+ 3GB of RAM, I usually have 1.7GB RAM free with the developer ROM I actually had 1.9GB~2GB most of the time
+ 32GB internal, up to 128GB or 256GB if you don't use a SIM card(dual SIM setup)
+ Fingerprint sensor on a 160€ phone(without shipping), like what it also works perfectly. Nobody but me can unlock the phone(tested). Registers very fast
+ 1080p display, 5.5inch
+ Adreno 510 GPU, as said I run WoT Blitz on pretty much 60fps constantly
+ Active, growing support community(seriously, the guides they have are 10/10 )
+ Really good quality when making calls(I always said "WHAT, WHAT DID YOU SAY?" while using Samsung Galaxshit S3)
+ Quality built, feels premium as it has a metal body on the back(hence no NFC in the first place)

 

- Non removable Li-Po battery(most phones do that nowadays anyways)
- No NFC
- LTE for the most part doesn't work in the US( luckily I'm an EU pleb, LTE works for me)
- No warranty, if you drop it because you're stupid it's your fault to begin with(you can fix any software related errors yourself, as in phone not booting etc)
- Camera is bad in bad lighting conditions, it's stabilization isn't very good either(I don't normally do pics anyways so I didn't give a single shit regarding that)

 

Verdict from GSM Arena

Review: http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_3_snapdragon-review-1405.php

I may seem like a fanboy and hell man I am. You can't beat it paying 1/5 of a flagship phone and get an identical performance or even a slight tad faster. It doesn't run the latest Android version, but what does it even offer for me to sacrifice my testicle to buy one?

 

 

Preaching to the choir here mate ;-)

Unfortunately I didn't have the option to get a Redmi Note 3 but maybe in a few years I'll get a Redmi Note 4 or 5 ;-)

On the general topic, besides Xiaomi there are a few other good, lesser known brands. They are:

  • Meizu
  • WileyFox
  • OnePlus

Motorola used to be a good budget brand after Google bought them but since they were sold to Lenovo things don't look so hot. The latest Moto G seems distinctly bad.

As always, if you are buying an Android device be sure to visit http://forum.xda-developers.com/ and confirm your device has it's own sub-forum. If it does not, DO NOT BUY THAT DEVICE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Galaxy S3.  And even now, it still works fine. (seriously the people who upgrade their phone every year are beyond retarded) 

Fuck apple. Waste of money. Only compatible with other apple shit, over priced as fuck. Just no.

 

Im actually thinking of upgrading my phone soon, because while my S3 is good, it is rather old now, its starting to lag, and i cant run newer apps on it (like Pokemon go) 

It isnt going to be less than a flagship, and because im a poor student, I was thinking of a second hand S5 maybe. But im also thinking about the OnePlus 3. - I dont know of anyones heard of the brand. My friend got the Oneplus 1 when it came out, it was like half the price of other flagships and had insane specs. (3GB RAM, and I think a 1080p screen) so yeah.

Im uninterested in other brands tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Assassin7 

Oneplus is a good brand to look at especially since they've gotten rid of their invite system. Most of the features of flagships without the price premium for being Samsung or Apple  

One of my friends got the Oneplus 2 after bricking his old android 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2016 at 5:48 AM, OOPMan said:

Next time, don't waste your money on a Galaxy Note and you will have money for a PC upgrades.

Buy a Xiaomi phone or something similar and stop getting ripped off by Samsung and their ShitWiz.

I know that is not immediately helpful to your problem but I think more people need to stop throwing their money down the drain with these overpriced flagship devices from Samsung, Sony and HTC when you can get a device with similar specs for half the price from lesser known manufacturers.

Not arguing against any cheaper flagship-spec'd phones but there's a reason they can afford to charge so much less. 

Software support on niche brands tends to be worse, the cameras don't match up to the ones on a flagship, and build quality tends to suffer. Xiaomi is kind of an exception (Redmi Note 3 seems pretty good). You're still paying a lot more than you should be for flagships these days but they're still undoubtedly better than the rest. 

Coming from an Android owner, anyone buying any Android phone is getting ripped off software-wise. A lot of devices using the Snapdragon 800/801 chip are getting screwed over by not getting 7.0 because Qualcomm basically decided to drop support for the chip and Google can't certify it for those devices. Some of those phones are barely two years old. Apple may be expensive and you're stuck with iOS but you know you're getting at least 3-4 years' worth of updates. The iPhone 5 is getting iOS 10. That's like the Galaxy S3 getting Android 7.0, when it never officially went beyond 4.4. 

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

Fuck apple. Waste of money. Only compatible with other apple shit, over priced as fuck. Just no.

Im actually thinking of upgrading my phone soon, because while my S3 is good, it is rather old now, its starting to lag, and i cant run newer apps on it (like Pokemon go) 

It isnt going to be less than a flagship, and because im a poor student, I was thinking of a second hand S5 maybe. But im also thinking about the OnePlus 3. - I dont know of anyones heard of the brand. My friend got the Oneplus 1 when it came out, it was like half the price of other flagships and had insane specs. (3GB RAM, and I think a 1080p screen) so yeah.

Im uninterested in other brands tbh. 

You get what you pay for with Apple though. I use an Android but I'm jealous that I'm probably never gonna see more than 2 years' worth of support on any Android phone. Check my reply to OOPMan, the 5 is getting iOS 10. A 4 year old Android phone still being officially updated would cause the Android fanbase to explode. 

As a suggestion, don't get the S5. It's nice but it won't get updated past 6.0 Marshmallow, and 7.0 just released ~a week ago. OnePlus 3 would be a good choice. idk what your budget is but the Nexus 5X and 6P are both gonna get price drops after the new Nexus phones get released this October and they'll continue to be supported for at least another year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Preaching to the choir here mate ;-)

Unfortunately I didn't have the option to get a Redmi Note 3 but maybe in a few years I'll get a Redmi Note 4 or 5 ;-)

On the general topic, besides Xiaomi there are a few other good, lesser known brands. They are:

  • Meizu
  • WileyFox
  • OnePlus

Motorola used to be a good budget brand after Google bought them but since they were sold to Lenovo things don't look so hot. The latest Moto G seems distinctly bad.

As always, if you are buying an Android device be sure to visit http://forum.xda-developers.com/ and confirm your device has it's own sub-forum. If it does not, DO NOT BUY THAT DEVICE!

Can confirm that I am very happy with my oneplus 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, _Dia said:

s a suggestion, don't get the S5. It's nice but it won't get updated past 6.0 Marshmallow, and 7.0 just released ~a week ago. OnePlus 3 would be a good choice. idk what your budget is but the Nexus 5X and 6P are both gonna get price drops after the new Nexus phones get released this October and they'll continue to be supported for at least another year. 

my budget is low. I was expecting second hand, depends on the price of the OnePlus. 

 

edit: Oneplus is $675, not bad actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, _Dia said:

Not arguing against any cheaper flagship-spec'd phones but there's a reason they can afford to charge so much less. 

Software support on niche brands tends to be worse, the cameras don't match up to the ones on a flagship, and build quality tends to suffer. Xiaomi is kind of an exception (Redmi Note 3 seems pretty good). You're still paying a lot more than you should be for flagships these days but they're still undoubtedly better than the rest. 

Coming from an Android owner, anyone buying any Android phone is getting ripped off software-wise. A lot of devices using the Snapdragon 800/801 chip are getting screwed over by not getting 7.0 because Qualcomm basically decided to drop support for the chip and Google can't certify it for those devices. Some of those phones are barely two years old. Apple may be expensive and you're stuck with iOS but you know you're getting at least 3-4 years' worth of updates. The iPhone 5 is getting iOS 10. That's like the Galaxy S3 getting Android 7.0, when it never officially went beyond 4.4. 

You get what you pay for with Apple though. I use an Android but I'm jealous that I'm probably never gonna see more than 2 years' worth of support on any Android phone. Check my reply to OOPMan, the 5 is getting iOS 10. A 4 year old Android phone still being officially updated would cause the Android fanbase to explode. 

As a suggestion, don't get the S5. It's nice but it won't get updated past 6.0 Marshmallow, and 7.0 just released ~a week ago. OnePlus 3 would be a good choice. idk what your budget is but the Nexus 5X and 6P are both gonna get price drops after the new Nexus phones get released this October and they'll continue to be supported for at least another year. 

The Android upgrade fragmentation thing is slowly becoming less of an issue as Google move more and more of the OS out of the base ROM and into Google Play Services (Which can be updated independently of the OS).

As always, if you are up for running custom ROMs there is a fair chance you will get 7.0 eventually due to the efforts of modders :-)

On a side note, I'm running XPosed Framework on my Redmi Note 2 and have a very useful module installed which backports certain Android 7.0 features :-)

Apple may make decent hardware but the price gouging is too much for me and I can't stand their eco-system. Or the UI choices. Or just about anything about the company in all honesty :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting a Nexus 5X in a couple of weeks, to replace my old Xperia Z1 Compact.

Funnily enough, my Z1 didn't break for the more than 2 years I had it (I did have to replace the battery due to water damage), but I dropped it and it slid into a sewage opening :doge:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2016 at 2:48 AM, OOPMan said:

these overpriced flagship devices from Samsung, Sony and HTC when you can get a device with similar specs 

PEOPLE KNOW SONY MAKES PHONES

 

17 minutes ago, ZXrage said:

I'm getting a Nexus 5X in a couple of weeks, to replace my old Xperia Z1 Compact.

Funnily enough, my Z1 didn't break for the more than 2 years I had it (I did have to replace the battery due to water damage), but I dropped it and it slid into a sewage opening :doge:

FELLOW SONY USER!1111!

 

Jesus Christ, people at my school are like, "wait, sony makes phones?" I'm so amazed you guys know Sony makes phones, but then again, you guys are tech geeks :D.  

But anyhow, I would not recommend the Sony M line.  I have an M2, and it's absolute garbage.  Texts take 30 seconds to send, sending pictures is an absolute no, cooling system is so garbage, I managed to get my temperature to 132F just watching twitch.  Not to mention the UI is extremely buggy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, PrinzEugen478 said:

But anyhow, I would not recommend the Sony M line.  I have an M2, and it's absolute garbage.  Texts take 30 seconds to send, sending pictures is an absolute no, cooling system is so garbage, I managed to get my temperature to 132F just watching twitch.  Not to mention the UI is extremely buggy.

Sony is full of bloatware, it was pretty annoying. Sony phones are also prone to overheating. I asked my brother why my old Sony kept heating like a bitch and he said that it was the waterproofing keeping the heat in or something.

I enjoyed my brick of my phone while I still had it though, it was oddly resilient :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Apple may make decent hardware but the price gouging is too much for me and I can't stand their eco-system. Or the UI choices. Or just about anything about the company in all honesty :-)

the cheapest Iphone 6s in NZ is $1400 (for the 16GB model) the 128GB model is $1800. 

my gaming PC cost that much. hell, my Car AND its wrap cost that much together. 

 

by comparison, a Galaxy S7 costs ~$900. (S7 edge is ~$1000)

 

the price of the Iphone is so fucking retarded, i wouldnt buy one on price alone. the fact that I dont like the OS, the UI, the Its-barely-compatible-with-anything-not-apple bullshit, the fact that it uses its own charge port so they can fuck people over and make them buy apple specific shit instead of just using the standard micro USB. and a whole bunch of other things. 

 

I don't care about shorter version support on android. or anything like that. as I said before, I still have a Galaxy S3, and Pokemon Go is the first app I have found that I can't actually run on it. (though I don't do app shopping very often, I use my phone for music, videos, texting, reading, etc. not games)

AND you get much more variety, choice, and options on what you want when choosing an android. with apple you get one, or two, or maybe 3 if you are lucky. 

 

 

also, I will forever hate people like one I found last year: in school library, doing school work. year 12 students are talking next to me (16-17 years old) one is like "so you gonna get the new Iphone 6?" other goes "hell yeah, its what? $1500?" 

"yep"

"Sweet"

5 mins later he then pulls out his phone. its a fucking Iphone 5s. it was like 6 months old at most at that time - and worth around $1000 itself.

seriously. retarded fucking idiots. 

 

/rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

the cheapest Iphone 6s in NZ is $1400 (for the 16GB model) the 128GB model is $1800. 

my gaming PC cost that much. hell, my Car AND its wrap cost that much together. 

 

by comparison, a Galaxy S7 costs ~$900. (S7 edge is ~$1000)

Da fuck, even Croatia have lower prices. You have expensive politicians apparently :kappa:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...