Jump to content
OOPMan

Mobile Phone Discussion

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, PrinzEugen478 said:

PEOPLE KNOW SONY MAKES PHONES

FELLOW SONY USER!1111!

Jesus Christ, people at my school are like, "wait, sony makes phones?" I'm so amazed you guys know Sony makes phones, but then again, you guys are tech geeks :D

Fellow Sony user here! On an Xperia Z5 right now. Around me people only generally have iPhones or Galaxies and the occasional HTC or LG. They love to ogle the Z5 though. I adore the monolithic design of the whole line. 

People are generally fixed onto the whole carrier thing in the states so buying unlocked phones isn't too common. If a carrier doesn't carry and promote it then most people will not have heard of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, _Dia said:

People are generally fixed onto the whole carrier thing in the states so buying unlocked phones isn't too common. If a carrier doesn't carry and promote it then most people will not have heard of it. 

I can't believe that's still a thing in the US. It used to happen here but it was made illegal due to being anti-consumer and so forth. So all phones sold in SA are unlocked and there's huge competition between the networks for customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OOPMan said:

@Shade421 I actually really like the design of Windows phone but the eco-system is too restricted and it's not a healthy platform right now anyway.

Yea, no it's not. The functionality is way better than my last Android but nothing is compatible. Which is a blessing sometimes. For example I never have to bother explaining why I won't use Snapchat or play Pokemon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Shade421 said:

Android is for nerds....

Android is for peasants :kappaross:

Most of time i hear arguments:

- you can't change UI (iOS/WIN)

- you can't install FTP client and upload new fukushima config

- you can't install custom rom and complime binary code

- too restricted

- too blabla

 

Personally I found WP nice, but never pushed kill switch on Apple. I used HTC 8X in the time, but lack of useful apps killed me. As I recall it was way faster than Android slugs of that time...

I hate lags, and lazy manufacturers so Android is big no to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

So many things wrong with your blather :-)

Since i sold phones for quite some time, and owned every flagship i can speak from experience. 

 

Like Z5 proxy not working and shit, i cant take this from almost 1000€ phone. On top of that Android stuff they put on, simply dont work and most of time stutter or lags. 

Everybody uses what he likes, but i find iPhone super snappy and works for my needs (mail, internet, call). 

 

Btw i hit wall with G2 when i used gimmicks with answering calls. 

TL;DR: for 1000€ I choose iPhone instead od HTC, Samsung, Sony or other flagship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

TL;DR: for 1000€ I choose iPhone instead od HTC, Samsung, Sony or other flagship. 

The fact you are looking at flagships at all is the real WTF. They're all over-priced garbage with Apple sitting at the top of the pile. The pile of overpriced garbage. By buying Apple product (And HTC, Sony and Samsung) you are basically signing to be gouged for no good reason. 

As P.T. Barnum supposedly said "There's one born every minute..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What i want most out of a phone is hardware and performance. I dont give a shit about whatever amazing software feature it has, i dont really care if it has a 500 MP camera or not, heck, I dont really care if it has a 1080p screen or not (like, can you really see the difference between 1080p and whatever res my S3 has on a 5" screen?) what i DO care about, is if it has a 3GHz Quad core CPU and 8GB RAM. 

Generally flagships also have the best specs, but its also why I was looking at the OnePlus 3, because it has some great specs for its price tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

The fact you are looking at flagships at all is the real WTF. They're all over-priced garbage with Apple sitting at the top of the pile. The pile of overpriced garbage. By buying Apple product (And HTC, Sony and Samsung) you are basically signing to be gouged for no good reason. 

As P.T. Barnum supposedly said "There's one born every minute..."

I'm looking at flagship because Apple only have flagship, and as i stated before no real alternative. I can understand you when you avoiding S7 (which is btw crap) and go for cheap Chinese knock offs but i cant but cheap iOS device (other than old) 

So if I'm tossing 1000€ for phone (which i do) i comparing best of all phones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you can only watch Youtube/Twitch on your phone at 480p :serb:

Seriously, though, my parents forced me to get a Sony M2.  If it was up to me, I would've gotten a HTC M8.  Not to mention my mom's sony phone, which is a year older than mine, has a better camera than my phone >_>.  My phone also takes pictures with lag.  How do I rescind this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OOPMan said:

I can't believe that's still a thing in the US. It used to happen here but it was made illegal due to being anti-consumer and so forth. So all phones sold in SA are unlocked and there's huge competition between the networks for customers.

What also sucks is only Apple has enough leverage to not allow bloatware to be installed. Any Galaxy or similar flagship you buy at a US carrier store will have Verizon/AT&T bloat that can't really be uninstalled. You can disable it at most. 

50 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

What i want most out of a phone is hardware and performance. I dont give a shit about whatever amazing software feature it has, i dont really care if it has a 500 MP camera or not, heck, I dont really care if it has a 1080p screen or not (like, can you really see the difference between 1080p and whatever res my S3 has on a 5" screen?) what i DO care about, is if it has a 3GHz Quad core CPU and 8GB RAM. 

Generally flagships also have the best specs, but its also why I was looking at the OnePlus 3, because it has some great specs for its price tag.

Dude the software makes the phone. There's a reason Apple's vertical integration has its advantages. Yes you can see the difference between 720 and 1080 on a 4.8 in. Android's may have more cores and clock speed and RAM but iPhone's are still faster in day to day usage. You can get good performance out of (when you compare) mediocre hardware, and you can end up with terrible performance on great hardware (Most Samsung phones up until recently). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, _Dia said:

What also sucks is only Apple has enough leverage to not allow bloatware to be installed. Any Galaxy or similar flagship you buy at a US carrier store will have Verizon/AT&T bloat that can't really be uninstalled. You can disable it at most. 

Dude the software makes the phone. There's a reason Apple's vertical integration has its advantages. Yes you can see the difference between 720 and 1080 on a 4.8 in. Android's may have more cores and clock speed and RAM but iPhone's are still faster in day to day usage. You can get good performance out of (when you compare) mediocre hardware, and you can end up with terrible performance on great hardware (Most Samsung phones up until recently). 

iPhone shines in single thread and they really optimize all for dual core stuff, no need for 3000mAh batteries and quad core for laggy OS. 

 

Also as as I recall android runs on VM so whatever hardware they have always sill be some lag and jitter. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@_Dia maybe the software does make it. But I dont need or use moat of it. (I disabled S voice on my S3 because it gives you a bit of a performance boost)  meanwhile good hardware is the opposite of a bad thing. i dont want it to be able to play all the biggest games, but  i want it to not lag or stutter or freeze ever. 

 

Also, yeah. Fuck the bloatware. My phone has 3 pages in its all apps screen, but I could fit the apps I use on one page. I dont want the rest but they dont go away :-/

I have rooted my phone though, it allowed me to delete a couple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

What i want most out of a phone is hardware and performance. I dont give a shit about whatever amazing software feature it has, i dont really care if it has a 500 MP camera or not, heck, I dont really care if it has a 1080p screen or not (like, can you really see the difference between 1080p and whatever res my S3 has on a 5" screen?) what i DO care about, is if it has a 3GHz Quad core CPU and 8GB RAM. 

Generally flagships also have the best specs, but its also why I was looking at the OnePlus 3, because it has some great specs for its price tag.

Well, the oneplus 3 has 6gb of ram, not 8.

 

But, having one myself I will tell you: It does everything my friends' Galaxy S7s and s7 edge do. Either as good, or even better in some points. And it costed me less than half what they paid. (500 canadian dollars with taxes vs 1100+ canadian dollars for them)


Also, it's freaking easy to root. Like any retard can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blackzaru said:

Well, the oneplus 3 has 6gb of ram, not 8.

 

But, having one myself I will tell you: It does everything my friends' Galaxy S7s and s7 edge do. Either as good, or even better in some points. And it costed me less than half what they paid. (500 canadian dollars with taxes vs 1100+ canadian dollars for them)


Also, it's freaking easy to root. Like any retard can do it.

Yeah, i was giving just random numbers, rather than actual specs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears the phone ecosystem has developed a bit. Last time I was looking the iPhones were both more expensive and lower spec'd while offering primarily the ios buy in for better integration. My s2 cost about 60% of the price of the Apple at the time. It appears market capitalisation has caught up in the android space. Even huawei appears to be eyeing off that premium sector. Hard to tell which offering has the least brand mark up any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

Yeah, i was giving just random numbers, rather than actual specs.

Welp, sorry for this.

And don't take me wrong, I'm not claiming the Oneplus 3 is the solution for everyone, has everyone has a specific phone fitted to their needs.

I'm saying that for it's price tag (about half or a third of "flagship" phones), the Oneplus 3 offers specs and feature rivaling them on pretty much every ground, even beating them in some.

The only real downside of the phone is the lack of external memory slot. But even then, the actually drive capacity is more than enough for most users. And enough for any that transfer their videos from time to time.

It's a great bang for the buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, blackzaru said:

Welp, sorry for this.

And don't take me wrong, I'm not claiming the Oneplus 3 is the solution for everyone, has everyone has a specific phone fitted to their needs.

I'm saying that for it's price tag (about half or a third of "flagship" phones), the Oneplus 3 offers specs and feature rivaling them on pretty much every ground, even beating them in some.

The only real downside of the phone is the lack of external memory slot. But even then, the actually drive capacity is more than enough for most users. And enough for any that transfer their videos from time to time.

It's a great bang for the buck.

Yep, thats what I want as a poor univeristy student :D

 

$650 instead of $900 for similar or better specs compared to the S7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oneplus x user here, and I love how premium this phone feels without costing a few internal organs. yeah the specs might not be the best of the best, but a snapdragon 801 and 3gb of ram isn't bottom of the barrel either. Also the expandable storage was a pretty big plus for me as I have a decent sized music library.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm under impression that everyone care here about raw numbers instead of real performance. I know when S3 came out quad core, 1gb... And iP5 just wiped floor in benchmark with only dual core. Also lot of people go for cheap A53 cores that only bring more heat and power consumption instead of real performance... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

I'm under impression that everyone care here about raw numbers instead of real performance. I know when S3 came out quad core, 1gb... And iP5 just wiped floor in benchmark with only dual core. Also lot of people go for cheap A53 cores that only bring more heat and power consumption instead of real performance... 

I'm under the impression that you understand that, despite what you call "us only looking at raw number instead of performance", some of us are indeed looking at performance.

We are also looking at what we spend. And, even if there is a slight performance difference (which I highly doubt any decent rooted android couldn't make up for by optimizing it and removing bloatware), spending more than twice the amount for a phone that is basically the same spec-wise, and, to any useful purpose, about the same performance-wise, isn't the wisest thing to do.

In fact, when I saw people spending upwards of 1300 canadian dollars for their iphone 6s, I literally bursted in laughter.

If you are, in fact, ready to spend that much for so few (arguably virtual performance gain), well alright. But calling out people about taking concern about how much they actually get out of their money is pretty messed up.

And don't take me wrong, this isn't an anti-apple thinghy, it's an anti-throwing-money-out-of-the-windows thinghy. I also cringe when I see people bragging about their brand new galaxy s7 and how good it is (or, in the pc equivalent, people boasting about having a 3000$ alienware that contains actually 1400$ of hardware).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Also as as I recall android runs on VM so whatever hardware they have always sill be some lag and jitter. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

You're not wrong in that most Android apps run on a VM, although the OS itself is written largely in C++. See https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Android-apps-written-in-Java-but-the-OS-is-written-in-C++ for some nice diagrams.

While it is true that garbage collection on the VM can cause applications to become laggy, this is actually largely solved now thanks to the huge amount of work Google has put into a tweaked VM and so forth.

Beyond that, OEMs also have a lot of ability to tinker with this and Xiamo in particular have made a good show of illustrating how to make Android run really smoothly. The key seems to be to aggressively reduce the amount of background memory and CPU usage. This is why if you've tried to use Google Now on MIUI you have probably been very frustrated as their modifications to the OS tend to clear it's background application stuff away and prevent it from working unless you actually have the Google search application open.

On the other end of the scale, you have OEMs like Samsung and HTC that are infamous for their bloated, memory-hungry layers of shit they wrap around the base Android OS in order to change how it looks. If you're judging Android performance based on these bad players then you're doing it wrong. They're pretty much the worst of the worst.

The base Android OS as you can find on phones from OEMs like Wileyfox and Motorola is far lighter and more performant than these awful hatchet jobs and you can, of course, benefit from this yourself by simply installing CyanogenMod (Or one of the many other AOSP derivative projects like AICP, ParanoidAndroid, PACMan, etc) on your device.

On a base level though, I agree that encouraging users to write their mobile applications in shitacular language like Java was and remains a bad idea (Although Objective-C was not much better for other reasons, it's known to cause insanity ;-) It's not surprise that some of the best Android apps (E.g. Kodi, formerly XBMC) are written mostly in C++ (Yes, you can write your Android apps in C++) with very little Java involved and perform like stars.

I think it's actually rather sad that Nokia were such complete retards back when rumours of the iPhone started to dribble down. Instead of pulling their thumb out of their ass and doing something great, they sat on their laurels and died for it. This is actually very unfortunate because while their S60 OS was butt ugly, it had over a decade of work put into making it perform as well as possible for as long as possible on low-end hardware. The fact that all got thrown under the bus is a crying shame because I still own an S60 phone that can not only multi-task and GPS navigate, it lasts for a week between charges with actual usage. I currently use it as an alarm clock and it literally lasts a month between charges. If only modern smartphones could boast as much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...