PityFool

Battlefield 1 - Open Beta

Does it sugercoat or glorify the war in any way?

I know it's irrational since I have no issue with games about literally any other time period, but for whatever reason I'm having trouble reasoning with myself that it's ok to make a game set in The Great War.

1 minute ago, Storm said:

Does it sugercoat or glorify the war in any way?

I know it's irrational since I have no issue with games about literally any other time period, but for whatever reason I'm having trouble reasoning with myself that it's ok to make a game set in The Great War.

Its battlefield... Things aren't going to be super realistic and whatnot, but the game is brutal. Melee deaths/kills are savage as fuck, the sounds are good. Horses are pretty well done tbh. 

They definitely improved BF4 with patches, etc but I was just referring to launch and the first few patches when I said "was so broken".  They rushed it out after the success of BF3.  With that said, they've had plenty of time to work the bugs out of this one and I'm looking forward to it.

Have gotten on and played a few games so far.  Very impressed, graphics are amazing, game is very smooth and for a beta, not seeing a lot of weird stuff, short of a floating dead body :)  Definitely going to spend the $70 on this one for the OCT release!

Signed up yesterday.  Received my code this morning.  Hopefully you all have the same luck.

And 2142 was best Battlefield.  Best balance between classes with an almost perfect rock-paper-scissors gameplay.

4 hours ago, PityFool said:

Its battlefield... Things aren't going to be super realistic and whatnot, but the game is brutal. Melee deaths/kills are savage as fuck, the sounds are good. Horses are pretty well done tbh. 

Is it as shallow as SWBF?

SWBF beta = Full game.

Also 2142 master race.

Edit:

This game is shit. Evidence:

http://i.imgur.com/xL7RfdM.mp4

No MORE C4 JEEP REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Put a solid 6 hours into it tonight and here are my initial thoughts. (From someone who plays BF4 competitively, so I have some idea of what I'm talking about :) )

- Tanks are OP and there's shitloads of them all over the map. The lack of anti-tank capabilities for the soldiers is frustrating. The "assault" class can only carry 2 anti-tank nades which isn't even enough to destroy a light tank, let alone the landships which are merely tickled by them. There's anti tank rocket guns, which I haven't had access to yet, but you have to be prone to use it which means you're fucked after the first shot because the tank will see you and will rape you. Its not like an RPG which you can peek out of cover and pop a quick shot off. The tanks need a serious nerf or a drastic reduction in numbers spawned in, a max of 1 tank per team would be more balanced with their current power.

- Assault and Recon completely outclass Medic and Support... Medics have guns that are average at every range, bolt actions are extremely strong so that forces the medics into CQB with Assault which gets 900RPM SMG's and shotguns. Support suffers a similar issue where the LMG's are inaccurate as fuck to start with, but the longer you hold the trigger down the more accurate they get until it overheats a short while later. By the time you're accurate enough at range, the snipers have killed you and in close range you just lose out to SMG's and shotguns which have much faster TTK's.

- Movement is sluggish, it feels like wading through mud. The soldiers can't jump, they do a pathetic little skip. This means getting around relies heavily on the vaulting mechanic which is a whole other nightmare of broken hitboxes and laggy animations. I'd far rather revert to something like the CS:GO jump mechanics where the character jumps comically high and thus doing away completely with vaulting. And no... Its got nothing to do with me being salty about not being able to jump-shot corners.

BF4 movement:

HIpMZiM.gif

BF1 movement:

oIHst0TxMgWgo.gif

- Melee system is quite cheap from the frontal attack aspect. I'm perfectly fine with having rear attacks a OHK, but frontal attacks hitting for 80 damage!? I was tagged up by an enemy and managed to duck into a building with 5hp left, the guy wanted to finish the job and secure his kill so he chased me in, only to find me waiting just inside the door with my pistol, I popped a shot into him and then mashed F for an almost instant kill. I would be fine with frontal attacks if they did less damage, around 20-30 as a finishing blow attack.

Other than that, the game is fairly fun in a casual way, looks beautiful and runs fairly well. Seems like a step towards an even more casual shooter than previous titles. I'll reserve my opinions on whether to purchase it or not for now, I'll add more thoughts as I play through this beta.

15 minutes ago, PityFool said:

Other than that, the game is fairly fun in a casual way, looks beautiful and runs fairly well. Seems like a step towards an even more casual shooter than previous titles. I'll reserve my opinions on whether to purchase it or not for now, I'll add more thoughts as I play through this beta.

Sounds perfect for me then. BF4 was neat but it was too much effort. I'm going to be a total heretic and say I enjoyed played the new SWBF more because it's the perfect popcorn shooter. Zero brain required :-)

30 minutes ago, PityFool said:

Put a solid 6 hours into it tonight and here are my initial thoughts. (From someone who plays BF4 competitively, so I have some idea of what I'm talking about :) )

- Tanks are OP and there's shitloads of them all over the map. The lack of anti-tank capabilities for the soldiers is frustrating. The "assault" class can only carry 2 anti-tank nades which isn't even enough to destroy a light tank, let alone the landships which are merely tickled by them. There's anti tank rocket guns, which I haven't had access to yet, but you have to be prone to use it which means you're fucked after the first shot because the tank will see you and will rape you. Its not like an RPG which you can peek out of cover and pop a quick shot off. The tanks need a serious nerf or a drastic reduction in numbers spawned in, a max of 1 tank per team would be more balanced with their current power.

- Movement is sluggish, it feels like wading through mud. The soldiers can't jump, they do a pathetic little skip. This means getting around relies heavily on the vaulting mechanic which is a whole other nightmare of broken hitboxes and laggy animations. I'd far rather revert to something like the CS:GO jump mechanics where the character jumps comically high and thus doing away completely with vaulting. And no... Its got nothing to do with me being salty about not being able to jump-shot corners.

- Melee system is quite cheap from the frontal attack aspect. I'm perfectly fine with having rear attacks a OHK, but frontal attacks hitting for 80 damage!? I was tagged up by an enemy and managed to duck into a building with 5hp left, the guy wanted to finish the job and secure his kill so he chased me in, only to find me waiting just inside the door with my pistol, I popped a shot into him and then mashed F for an almost instant kill. I would be fine with frontal attacks if they did less damage, around 20-30 as a finishing blow attack.

Tanks will either see a nerf or soldier AT capability will be significantly increased. Vehicles have always been a staple of BF and with WW1 tanks should be like borderline OP imo since it's not like BF4 because there's no LAV/Attack Helo/etc. And we're both familiar with DICE "Nerfs" where they either make something else bullshit or they nerf something so hard that it will never be used again. And since tanks are synonymous with the theme I bet we'll see AT capabilities rise.

As for movement I did kind of expect this because of the fact that again it being WW1 with the mud and terrain deformation.

The Melee system looks like a marketing gimmick to me imo to introduce new "features" Brutal and Savage like in WW1, but cheap as shit gameplay mechanic, but we're not dealing with premium knife skins anymore as a combat knife should do less damage than a Machete lol.

2/3 items on here are literally gimmicks imo, but it is a beta after all. Only thing i still want is C4 Horse.

5 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Sounds perfect for me then. BF4 was neat but it was too much effort. I'm going to be a total heretic and say I enjoyed played the new SWBF more because it's the perfect popcorn shooter. Zero brain required :-)

The SMG's are accurate enough with hipfire, bolt actions have a very flat and fast projectile path thingy (its 3am), shotguns are shotguns and the LMG's are most effective when the user simply holds LMB. Its pretty much point and shoot at this stage, very little time and effort required to be effective.

1 minute ago, _Assad said:

Tanks will either see a nerf or soldier AT capability will be significantly increased. Vehicles have always been a staple of BF and with WW1 tanks should be like borderline OP imo since it's not like BF4 because there's no LAV/Attack Helo/etc.

As for movement I did kind of expect this because of the fact that again it being WW1 with the mud and terrain deformation.

The Melee system looks like a marketing gimmick to me imo to introduce new "features" Brutal and Savage like in WW1, but cheap as shit gameplay mechanic.

2/3 items on here are literally gimmicks imo, but it is a beta after all. Only thing i still want is C4 Horse.

I understand that, but at this stage complete retards are going 45-0 in tanks because they're so easy to use. They're far from borderline, you could nerf them into the ground and they'd still be strong in the beta.

Unfortunately the dynamite doesn't stick to things, and the horses are like soldiers so there's no launching them or jihad horses. 

5 minutes ago, PityFool said:

The SMG's are accurate enough with hipfire, bolt actions have a very flat and fast projectile path thingy (its 3am), shotguns are shotguns and the LMG's are most effective when the user simply holds LMB. Its pretty much point and shoot at this stage, very little time and effort required to be effective.

I understand that, but at this stage complete retards are going 45-0 in tanks because they're so easy to use. They're far from borderline, you could nerf them into the ground and they'd still be strong in the beta.

Unfortunately the dynamite doesn't stick to things, and the horses are like soldiers so there's no launching them or jihad horses. 

I still remember the Attack Helicopter in both (BF3/BF4) games at release. Shit was OP and scary with the only limiting factor being that the retards knew how to fly with PC controls. Tanks should be nerfed if Mobility and AT capacity is garbage as it is right now. Also why the fuck do they fly into battle like UFO's? They went like 2 mph irl :serb: and even though it's BF these things are flying into battle like an Abrams in BF4.

Forgot to mention fucking mortars as well. Holy shit the remote mortar is cancerous.

Can you still join the testing now if you didn't sign up for the insider? Or gotta wait for the next round?

On 29/08/2016 at 7:16 PM, PityFool said:

Netcode compared to? BF4's netcode is pretty damn good. Also, BF1 is launching with a minimum server tickrate of 60Hz, so I'm expecting great things from the 120 and 144 tick servers which "worked" in BF4 but created issues with stairs and soldier movement.

I started playing BF4 again and even at high tickrates and low ping the netcode for hit detection is pretty meh, but that's a feature of BF games by now. Planetside 2 handles it better despite handling hundreds of players at the same time.

11 hours ago, BigDaddyTankster said:

They definitely improved BF4 with patches, etc but I was just referring to launch and the first few patches when I said "was so broken".  They rushed it out after the success of BF3.  With that said, they've had plenty of time to work the bugs out of this one and I'm looking forward to it.

BF3 also had a rushed release with many issues, because DICE wanted to lauch before CoD and try to steal some of their player base. Which is also why BF3 was dumbed down compared to earlier games, it was CoDfied to appease the CoD crowd.

7 hours ago, PityFool said:

Tanks will most likely be nerfed and counters buffed. It's a battlefield game, so only air whores are allowed to stay OP.

7 hours ago, PityFool said:

I for one would like a slower movement for infantry, with some momentum and such so it would work better with the netcode. But vaulting is a flawed mechanic and should be done away in favor of simple jumps.

But not unlimited jumping because bunny hoping in BF2 was obnoxious. I'd do it like planetside 2, where after jumping several times in a row your char slows down and jumps lower.

22 hours ago, PityFool said:

12 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

TL;DR light tank

xFZvES0.png?1

Yea basically

Also hey look I'm in that picture, #9, 12-10 lol.... I'm bad at bf =3