PityFool

Battlefield 1 - Open Beta

Servers are shit.Keeps disconnecting me( no it's not my ping).I really wanted to play this game after hearing my friend talk so much about it.Guess I'll just play overwatch for now.Maybe it's just because it's day 1 and a shit ton of people wanna play

6 hours ago, Shackram said:

So some sniper rifles can one hit kill with bodyshots out to like 200m?

No, its a new damage model they're trying out. Basically, sniper rifle has a "sweet spot" where they do 100 damage. So their damage model is something like 0m - 95m (80 damage), 96m - 120m (100 damage), 121m - max range (80 damage). It doesn't really benefit anyone who can aim because they will be hitting headshots. What it means is someone who can only really land bodyshots might get you from time to time in the correct distance range.

1 hour ago, Aquavolt said:

how does it compare to bf4? i've heard some people say it's more bad company than battlefield (definitely a good thing)

Its quite different from BF4 in gameplay terms, its different and being that its WW1 it has some really refreshing scenery (new weapons, vehicles, etc). Obviously we don't have access to much content in the beta so some opinions may change with the full release, but some things I found:

- Gameplay has slowed down a little from BF4, tanks move a lot slower, soldiers can't sprint jump all over the place.

- The lack of lock-on weapons, FLIR/IRNV, Airburst, M320's, etc. is quite a good change. However, as always the AA is OP as fuck, some things never change :)

- The behemoth system could be incredibly good for turning the tide on those one-sided games, its immensely powerful, however there's a rather short time-limit on the games in the beta so we rarely get to see the train have any real effect on the games yet as it often comes in too late. BF4 generally had a dominant team continuing to dominate because they had all the extra vehicles from flag assets and such.

I find it fun to play, there are some obvious balance issues and certain things need changing but overall, enjoyable.

1 hour ago, PityFool said:

No, its a new damage model they're trying out. Basically, sniper rifle has a "sweet spot" where they do 100 damage. So their damage model is something like 0m - 95m (80 damage), 96m - 120m (100 damage), 121m - max range (80 damage). It doesn't really benefit anyone who can aim because they will be hitting headshots. What it means is someone who can only really land bodyshots might get you from time to time in the correct distance range.

Yeah, no. It'll benefit anyone that can hit a moving target at 100m. Still, it's an interesting change, means you're safer closing the distance to the sniper most of the time.

Its quite different from BF4 in gameplay terms, its different and being that its WW1 it has some really refreshing scenery (new weapons, vehicles, etc). Obviously we don't have access to much content in the beta so some opinions may change with the full release, but some things I found:

- Gameplay has slowed down a little from BF4, tanks move a lot slower, soldiers can't sprint jump all over the place.

- The lack of lock-on weapons, FLIR/IRNV, Airburst, M320's, etc. is quite a good change. However, as always the AA is OP as fuck, some things never change :)

- The behemoth system could be incredibly good for turning the tide on those one-sided games, its immensely powerful, however there's a rather short time-limit on the games in the beta so we rarely get to see the train have any real effect on the games yet as it often comes in too late. BF4 generally had a dominant team continuing to dominate because they had all the extra vehicles from flag assets and such.

I quite like the soldier mobily and the vaulting lets you climb higher stuff than BF4, but it tends to fail when vaulting waist high rocks.

The weapons also have more recoil, are less accurate and takes more shots to kill a target compared to BF4 (except recon and shotguns). I appreciate the higher recoil and lower damage, but the random COF feels weird, i didn't get used to it yet.

Tanks are a bit too strong, but i think it's in part because most players don't have the tools or know how to handle them, they seem to take localized damage, so you can track them, break the gun or the engine.

The AA is pretty crazy right now while planes aren't that powerful. I spent a good time with the attacker plane using the cannon and bombs, it's fun but you're mostly just harassing tanks and infantry and killing a tank as a plane takes a lot of time.

I find it fun to play, there are some obvious balance issues and certain things need changing but overall, enjoyable.

Agreed, i'm liking it enough to consider pre-order.

29 minutes ago, Shackram said:

Yeah, no. It'll benefit anyone that can hit a moving target at 100m. Still, it's an interesting change, means you're safer closing the distance to the sniper most of the time.

I quite like the soldier mobily and the vaulting lets you climb higher stuff than BF4, but it tends to fail when vaulting waist high rocks.

The weapons also have more recoil, are less accurate and takes more shots to kill a target compared to BF4 (except recon and shotguns). I appreciate the higher recoil and lower damage, but the random COF feels weird, i didn't get used to it yet.

Tanks are a bit too strong, but i think it's in part because most players don't have the tools or know how to handle them, they seem to take localized damage, so you can track them, break the gun or the engine.

The AA is pretty crazy right now while planes aren't that powerful. I spent a good time with the attacker plane using the cannon and bombs, it's fun but you're mostly just harassing tanks and infantry and killing a tank as a plane takes a lot of time.

Agreed, i'm liking it enough to consider pre-order.

I'll say it beats catching a sniper off guard in close quarters and losing out to him snapping off a quick chest shot with the BF4 damage model.

With regards to damage, I get the feeling headshots have different multipliers for different guns.. haven't tested it yet but some guns seem to really hurt when hit in the head, as opposed to the standard 2x damage.

I feel that the map is playing a large role in the feeling of vehicles being dominant, a lot like Silk Road in BF4, tanks and snipers everywhere.

The AA is insane... The attack plane with the cannon is so much fun tho :D

Finally got a chance to play a few rounds on a fully populated server. As with SWBF, I'm pretty weaksauce, but the game itself is fun enough that it doesn't matter :-)

I may just pre-order the Ultimate version because why not.

It looks like the went back to the awful BF3 suppression, where being shot in your general direction makes your guy forget how to shoot straight.

Also they really need to fix the random CoF on the guns, proning on a slope or rock and shooting the LMG on iron sights, a third of your shots land on the dirt in front of your eyes, not even the first shot is guaranteed to be accurate.

LMGs and medic rifles are barely usable past SMG/shotgun range and unusable at bolt action ranges.

EDIT: Okay, i messed with LMGs a bit more and turns out they get more acurate as you shoot, which feels pretty strange and it takes 5 or 6 shots to reach best dispersion.

6 hours ago, Shackram said:

It looks like the went back to the awful BF3 suppression, where being shot in your general direction makes your guy forget how to shoot straight.

Also they really need to fix the random CoF on the guns, proning on a slope or rock and shooting the LMG on iron sights, a third of your shots land on the dirt in front of your eyes, not even the first shot is guaranteed to be accurate.

LMGs and medic rifles are barely usable past SMG/shotgun range and unusable at bolt action ranges.

EDIT: Okay, i messed with LMGs a bit more and turns out they get more acurate as you shoot, which feels pretty strange and it takes 5 or 6 shots to reach best dispersion.

Yeah, the LMGs felt pretty normal to me as they behave very much like the ones in The Division. Fire for longer periods in order to maximise accuracy. Right now the only class I play is Support because Assault feels like a poor choice on much of Sinari while Medic and Scout are beyond my skill level. I'm a spray and pray kinda guy :-)

Im finding the medic rifles are fine t longer ranges - I've been counter sniping people at 100m no problem.

On that note, my current top weapon is, amusingly, the Gewehr M.95 Rifleman, bolt action with iron sights. 

Im out sniping people with scopes using it, and rocking in close range. Its bolt cycle is super fast, allowing for insanely fast follow up shots. 

Only issue is low mag size - 5 rounds. If you arent accurate you can get punished. 

The thing I find running iron sights is that the scopes have insane scope glint, so its super easy to see enemy snipers. So I can just counter them no problem and they cant see my scope glint because I dont have it

17 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Im finding the medic rifles are fine t longer ranges - I've been counter sniping people at 100m no problem.

I'm not having as much luck, the gun sways all over and it shots wide off where the sight is pointing.

15 hours ago, PityFool said:

Also, the tank hunter loadout for the attack plane is fucking nuts!

It seems to be very ping sensitive tho', when i was playing on the oceania server i'd get sparkles on bomber hits, but no actual hit, sometimes on the NA servers too, with about 200ms of latency. My best shot was sniping a guy off his horse.

Are you flying with a joystick?

im flying with mouse and keyboard, the flight controls are a lot closer to War Thunder than it is in BF4, im finding that flying the planes is a lot easier.

one tip that good pilots told me, bind pitch up to spacebar, and you can just hold that to pitch instead of continuously scrolling your mouse

40 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

im flying with mouse and keyboard, the flight controls are a lot closer to War Thunder than it is in BF4, im finding that flying the planes is a lot easier.

one tip that good pilots told me, bind pitch up to spacebar, and you can just hold that to pitch instead of continuously scrolling your mouse

I wanted to bind it to a side button on my mouse, but stupid game doesn't let you have multiple mouse or KB binds to the same button.

It also doesn't let me bind the mouse to yaw instead of roll.

1 hour ago, Shackram said:

I'm not having as much luck, the gun sways all over and it shots wide off where the sight is pointing.

It seems to be very ping sensitive tho', when i was playing on the oceania server i'd get sparkles on bomber hits, but no actual hit, sometimes on the NA servers too, with about 200ms of latency. My best shot was sniping a guy off his horse.

Are you flying with a joystick?

No, mouse + keyboard.

Yea that's "dusting"... its been in the series for a long time. I get it on low ping too, its basically a client hit that the server denies for some reason.

The flight feel feels okay as I've been playing  Elite Dangerous a lot lately so I'm used to roll being the X axis.

With that said, it's a lot less simple than WT in arcade mode. They should really nick the instructor idea from Gaijin so noobs like me can fly with a mouse :-)

the Gewehr M.95 is the best Scout rifle.

I've used them all, and the the Gewehr is great at close range AND long range, while the others are only good at long range. im more effective with that rifle than with medic rifles tbh.

2 hours ago, OOPMan said:

The flight feel feels okay as I've been playing  Elite Dangerous a lot lately so I'm used to roll being the X axis.

With that said, it's a lot less simple than WT in arcade mode. They should really nick the instructor idea from Gaijin so noobs like me can fly with a mouse :-)

Bind pitch up and pitch down to your keyboard, spacebar and left alt for example. That way you just use the mouse for small corrections and banks.

Bind pitch up and pitch down to your keyboard, spacebar and left alt for example. That way you just use the mouse for small corrections and banks.

That's going to feel reaaaaallly weird coming from ED and WT...

In other news, I reached Support 3 this morning and unlocked the MG 15 Suppressor. Wow. I love this thing. 200 rounds in the drum (or is it 100) and a scope make this great for nailing people at longer distances. Unfortunately, Sinai being sniper heaven means that a lot of the times you settle down with the bipod for some good coverage some bugger shoots you in the skull. 

Overall, really enjoying BF1, much more so than BF4. Odds are high I'll pre-order and not regret it :-) 

Played again today and the medic rifles finally clicked with me, managed to do way better than before with them.

On 04/09/2016 at 4:46 AM, Assassin7 said:

the Gewehr M.95 is the best Scout rifle.

I've used them all, and the the Gewehr is great at close range AND long range, while the others are only good at long range. im more effective with that rifle than with medic rifles tbh.

It's a very good rifle.

You can get the lever action without scope too, if you spawn as cavalry and dismount.