PityFool

Battlefield 1 - Open Beta

Rightio, I downloaded and played few games (Rush and Conquest)

Assault have some of the worst guns, with the shotgun about the only gun useful for me personally. The accuracy of the SMG is woeful, even when prone.

Medics are nice and solid, with the bolt actions actually fun and consistent.

Support is a mixed bag really but still useful with a coordinated squad.

Snipers are the usual BF role of kemp ridge and pick off idiots who stand still.

Out of all the classes, I had the best run with the medic. The ability to heal yourself/team mates and with the rifle selection makes it a damn good package. Tanks are pretty much guaranteed kill streaks, the lack/weakness of the AT is kinda frustrating. I did enjoy the FT-17 (PB was 15 kills before the armoured train ruined my fun) The horse is pretty useless tbh, anyone with half a brain will see you coming and put you or your horse down rather quickly.

Rush is fun and fast paced. The level design is quiet good, with the odd sandstorm a nice addition.

Conquest is the usual BF shit fest, absolutely loved it.

All in all, it feels unpolished. Some minor balancing issues need to be sorted out before I lay down some cash to buy it at full price. But it is still a fun game to play.

So its true.. you can actually collapse the bridge

Also, @Politx_Killer I find Assault weapons to be some of the strongest, M1918 and the shotgun are insane at CQB while the MP18 provides a very steady performance at the close-shortmid ranges.

@Politx_Killer For Assault, the main thing is you get all the anti-tank equipment which is pretty important. In terms of weaponry, the Shotgun and the MP18 Trench are decent. The SMGs are really meant for hip fire, aiming is mostly useless. Hopefully the full game will include some slightly better weapons for them. I think the main issue in the open beta is that everyone and their uncle are playing Scout or Medic and hence there are simply not enough players packing anti-tank equipment.

The horse is pretty situational but it's great fun, I always go sword-style and try to lop off as many heads as possible. They're also pretty agile so if you've got anti tank grenades you can use the horse to flank a tank with few crewmen and take it out.

For me Support feels a little too situational actually. The MGs can be great but on Sinai snipers dominate so you don't really get a chance to be very useful.

2 minutes ago, PityFool said:

So its true.. you can actually collapse the bridge

Also, @Politx_Killer I find Assault weapons to be some of the strongest, M1918 and the shotgun are insane at CQB while the MP18 provides a very steady performance at the close-shortmid ranges.

Wow, I wonder if you can do that in rush using tank weapons? Would make defending in stage 3 and 4 a lot less painful...

1 minute ago, OOPMan said:

Wow, I wonder if you can do that in rush using tank weapons? Would make defending in stage 3 and 4 a lot less painful...

I tried with tank shells and dynamite and it didn't seem to work, granted I didn't put a huge amount of effort into it.

I found middling success with the shotgun/trench. Bayonet charges are fun if cheesy. 

The AT launcher just feels inadequate against the tanks, had some success with the field gun (hurts the train plenty too). I am loving the destructible buildings, brings back so many good memories of bad company 2. 

Still, i have a niggling feeling that it will end up blandish like battlefront. (I tend to get my war fix from Squad atm).

1 hour ago, Politx_Killer said:

I found middling success with the shotgun/trench. Bayonet charges are fun if cheesy. 

The AT launcher just feels inadequate against the tanks, had some success with the field gun (hurts the train plenty too). I am loving the destructible buildings, brings back so many good memories of bad company 2. 

Still, i have a niggling feeling that it will end up blandish like battlefront. (I tend to get my war fix from Squad atm).

I dunno, it's not feeling too bland to me. The AT rifle *is* inadequate against tanks and for me that feels right because it makes it all the more sweet when you manage to take out that FT-17 seconds before he reloads and derps you. 

The field guns are great but I hardly ever see people using them. Maybe they don't realise they're usable? Or maybe the just find them hard to aim with?

Bayonet charges are awesome and a great way to get to your destination a little quicker :-)

10 hours ago, PityFool said:

My problem with pretty much all guns is that they have excessive visual recoil (it was an annoying issue for a time in BF4) in ironsights, it jumps all over the place and doesn't follow your actual recoil patern, you then try to compensate and miss when you wouldn't.

Then you take the ones with either the "red dot" (MP18 Artillery) or scope (M1916 Sharpshooter and Mondragon Marksman for medic, Benet-Mercie Gunner and MG15 Supressor for support) and they feel way more accurate, because the center of the sight doesn't jump all over the place like the iron sights do.

5 hours ago, PityFool said:

Friend of mine went 115-0 in a LT yesterday... lmao

Shit...

My best was 34-2 in a rush match. Medics are OP

1 hour ago, Politx_Killer said:

Shit...

My best was 34-2 in a rush match. Medics are OP

And yet everyone plays snipers. Go figure :-(

Open Beta seems to be over. I was hoping they'd shut it down on 8 September US time time but no such luck.

10 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Open Beta seems to be over. I was hoping they'd shut it down on 8 September US time time but no such luck.

Going to grab it? I sorta just bought totalwarhammer rip my gaming time.

7 hours ago, Politx_Killer said:

Going to grab it? I sorta just bought totalwarhammer rip my gaming time.

Definitely going to get BF1. I'm in love.

I bought TW but at the time I was playing Battleflett Gothic and, in all honestly, I found the latter more fun. I think maybe ODing on Rome: TW back in the early 2000s killed the series for me...

3 hours ago, RutgerS said:

Honestly, the more I watch and read about BF1, the more excited I get. 

But I'm very weary towards EA

Why? You already submit to companies like WG and Gaijin ;-)

16 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Why? You already submit to companies like WG and Gaijin ;-)

:feelsbad:

Yet you are right.

Luckily I can't game that much the next 2-3weeks

On 08/09/2016 at 6:55 AM, OOPMan said:

And yet everyone plays snipers. Go figure :-(

Every battlefield game ever, shitters love sniping and battlefield devs must be some hardcore sniping shitters, because they keep making sniper friendly maps and making sniper weapons stroger. OHK on bodyshots is just bad gameplay no matter the range.

16 minutes ago, Shackram said:

Every battlefield game ever, shitters love sniping and battlefield devs must be some hardcore sniping shitters, because they keep making sniper friendly maps and making sniper weapons stroger. OHK on bodyshots is just bad gameplay no matter the range.

Most fun i had was going around and trench clubbing snipers, stealing there kit and then sniping the fuckers when they return.

Most likely will pre-order the deluxe edition as it seems you get some cool stuff vs just the standard game, enjoyed the beta so I guess I might as well get my feet wet, pretty much a battlefield series noob other than 42 that I used to play back in the day, cruising around in battleships was always fun if you had a good wing man. 

1 hour ago, Lightnin45 said:

Most likely will pre-order the deluxe edition as it seems you get some cool stuff vs just the standard game, enjoyed the beta so I guess I might as well get my feet wet, pretty much a battlefield series noob other than 42 that I used to play back in the day, cruising around in battleships was always fun if you had a good wing man. 

What are the extra's you get in the deluxe edition, and are they useful?

Not sure that it will be all that useful, but you get it 3 days earlier, 3 vehicle skins, 5x battle packs, and the Red Baron and Lawrence of Arabia packs for $20 US. Along with the Hell fighter pack that also comes with the standard edition.